This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Why I prefer psp to dsi (VERY LONG POST)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
DemonWolf
Four Star General (Moderator)
DemonWolf

Why I prefer psp to dsi (VERY LONG POST) Empty
PostSubject: Why I prefer psp to dsi (VERY LONG POST)   Why I prefer psp to dsi (VERY LONG POST) EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 1:41 pm

*Cross Platforms.
When there is a cross platform game ported from systems like ps2, wii to psp and ds, the psp will more often than not have a direct port (meaning with exact same gameplay) but with a bit of content or extra features taken out. This is seen as a downside as many considering ds games often seem to keep the content but then again, the psp game plays the same as the console versions whereas the ds's one is usually its own much more simplistic game (whether it be a side scroller or a top down game, etc).

*More mature/hardcore titles.
Sure, ds has a few but psp seems to have the edge here with games like Syphon Filter, God Of War, Resistance, Tekken, Soul Calibur, 2 Grand Theft Auto games, Metal Gear Solid, Killzone Liberation, etc

*Ds games are overrated.
I know people will hate me for this but it is true.
Why?
Look at games on both systems which are the same game. In this case I will use Harry Potter 6 (awful game).
http://uk.gamespot.com/ds/adventure/harrypotterandthehalfbloodprince/index.html
http://uk.gamespot.com/psp/adventure/harrypotterandthehalfbloodprince/index.html
Psp owners rated this crap game 3.9. Ds owners rated it 7.4.
Ds owners think there are billions of amazing games on ds whereas these would see as merely mediocre games on other systems like psp.

*More free roam games on psp.
Ds owners could easily name 100 titles on ds classified as "free roam" but with the exception of a few, they are all very basic games with top down camera views, 2D or pre-rendered environments. This limits the interaction you can have, it disables you from getting fully immersed into the game world and makes you get bored of it easier (in my opinion at least).
Even GTA Chinatown Wars and Legend Of Zelda got a top down view (yes, I am aware that both game series started out that way but they changed to 3D for a good reason and are only back to 2D due to ds's limitations).

*Better physics and animation on psp.
A lot of people call these things graphics but in fact, graphics is all about what you see; it's all cosmetic. Animation and physics define how realistically characters or objects act or how they react to the environment/forces.
Things like character movement, reaction to explosions or falls all fit into this category.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUuYUU2zTDA
Look at the video above. That is an upcoming ds game. Look at the movement of the enemy's, the animation of the weapon as the person walks and the way the magic is casted. It's all choppy and rather unrealistic. Also look how the first enemy dies; it just dissolves away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci7E7FKcS-4
Now look at this Resistance Retribution clip (psp)
Check out the physics from explosions at:
0:50
1:05
That's right, ragdoll!

Why do I care so much about physics? Because it brings about a certain level of realism to the game and makes the experience feel a lot more polished.

*Control
No offense to the touch screen of ds but I dislike having to pull out a stylus every few seconds and do some poking against the screen complete a minigame. I am glad that the psp has an analog instead. I would've preferred two but at least I have the choice of directional buttons and analog nub. Also, seeing as I mentioned screens, I much prefer the psp's 16:9 clear wide screen to the ds's two smaller screens.

*Old features
Dsi owners keep explaining about how they have cameras on their dsi's and mics and things like that. Well, psp 2000's/3000's have built in mics and also you can buy an add on camera for psp seperately.
*Dsiware
Mostly just arcadey games. They don't interest me that much but Sony's way of responding to them is PspMinis. Most of which were popular Iphone games which I think will be slightly better (Hero Of Sparta is included).

*Multimedia
I wanted to focus on just games but here we go, psp has everything included: music, video, picture and internet functions right out of the box.
It can handle high quality vids, it has pretty good sound quality, it can do slideshows of pics and let you zoom in on them and set them as wallpapers (and you can change the theme) and the browser is much faster than ds's (and can handle sites better).

*Hacking
This is the naughty part. While ds's are easier to hack, psp can do a lot more stuff when hacked including:
Run N64 games (not all on full speed but its a start), run gba games, run gbc games, run snes games, run ps1 games, etc.
It can also run a faster browser, it can let you watch youtube videos, you can use the psp as a universal remote, you can run homebrew games (including an upcoming Halo homebrew game that looks as good as the first game), it can be used as a second monitor, you can listen to music when in games, you can play any pc game on your psp through usb or wlan (including games like World Of Warcraft, Gta IV, Crysis, etc) and many other amazing things!

*The lineup
I am happy already with the current psp library but it looks as if over the next year, the psp's library will shock many!
Here are the best games in the lineup:

Assassins Creed Bloodlines
Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker
Soul Calibur Broken Destiny (out now)
Silent Hill Shattered Memories
The Third Birthday (Parasite Eve)
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2
God Eater
Lego Harry Potter
Obscure:The Aftermath
Tekken 6
Jak and Daxter The Lost Frontier
Lord of The Rings Aragorns Quest
Need For Speed Shift (out now)
U-Wars
Resident Evil Portable
Little Big Planet Psp
Il2 Sturmovik Birds Of Prey (out now)
Undead Knights
Captain America First Avenger
Gta Chinatown Wars (I'm not that excited but some psp owners are)
Socom Fireteam Bravo 3
Gran Turismo
Motorstorm Arctic Edge (out now)
Buzz Quiz World
Spec Ops Covert Assault (ps1 classic)
Invizimals
Adventures of Tintin
Warriors Orochi 2
Spec Ops Airbourne Commando (ps1 classic)
Diabolik: The Original Sin
Dante's Inferno
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Adventures To Go
Marvel Super Hero Squad
Full Metal Alchemist
Saints Row Portable (not officially announced yet)
Monster Hunter Freedom 3 (not officially announced yet)
Star Wars Battlefront Elite Squadron
Army Of Two 40th Day
Echochrono
Fat Princess
Harvest Moon Sugar Town
Lego Indiana Jones 2
Mx vs Avt Reflex
Pixeljunk Monsters Deluxe
100 Bullets
Duke Nukem Trilogy
Beaterator
Contra Legacy Of War
Dino Crisis (ps1 classic)
ModNation Racers
Final Fantasy Agito 13
Cave Story
Dragon's Lair
Guitar Hits
Hill Project
The Mighty Thor
Resident Evil 2 (ps1 classic)
Resident Evil 3 (ps1 classic)
Riding Spirits Revolution
Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep
Persona 3
Phantasy Star Portable 2
Bomberman Panic Bomber

Thanks for taking the time to read. Smile Please feel free to criticise/argue against anything I've said.
And if you think I just copied and pasted that list off any site....think again. I constructed it myself through research and if you believe that one of the games on that list isn't good... please name it and I'll tell you why it is! Very Happy

Anyway, I just have to say: I'm not against ds or anything. It's a good system in its own right but I just wanted to share my views on the psp. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
Mrs.Xbox360

Mrs.Xbox360

PostSubject: Re: Why I prefer psp to dsi (VERY LONG POST)   Why I prefer psp to dsi (VERY LONG POST) EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 4:06 pm

i through ur against sony
i hate the psp
no games
loud time
crappy web browser
and it expensive
the ds is way better
it has way more sales
that enough said
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: Why I prefer psp to dsi (VERY LONG POST)   Why I prefer psp to dsi (VERY LONG POST) EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 6:47 pm

Mrs.Xbox360 wrote:
i through ur against sony
i hate the psp
no games
loud time
crappy web browser
and it expensive
the ds is way better
it has way more sales
that enough said

I'm not against Sony. I'm against ps3 fanboys.
I love the psp.
Not as many games as ds but more "quality" ones
Loud time? If that's meant to be load times, they're longer than ds's, yes but that's the price to pay when you have a superior system.
Crappy web browser?! Faster and better than ds's; lets you access more sites than ds and more features like games, flash files, lets you download stuff, etc.
Expensive?! LOL wtf? About the same price as dsi.
Psp is way better.
Sales, yes. But its like the wii: attracts non-gamers and basically a casual audience. Just coz wii has more sales and more games does it mean its better than 360 and ps3? lol nope.
That's not enough said.
Back to top Go down
GeneralMLD
Five Star General (Admin)
Five Star General (Admin)
GeneralMLD

PostSubject: Re: Why I prefer psp to dsi (VERY LONG POST)   Why I prefer psp to dsi (VERY LONG POST) EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 8:15 pm

he can love the psp all he wants.

ps3 fanboys and ps3 itself are different
Back to top Go down
https://xboxrepublic.forumotion.com
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: Why I prefer psp to dsi (VERY LONG POST)   Why I prefer psp to dsi (VERY LONG POST) EmptySat Sep 19, 2009 12:18 pm

GeneralMLD wrote:
he can love the psp all he wants.

ps3 fanboys and ps3 itself are different

Yeah lol thanks General.
PSP Is like the handheld equivalent of Xbox 360 for me whereas ds is like a portable equivalent of wii. Its still a good system but the psp is just complete hardcore gameplay which is why I like it so much. Smile
Back to top Go down
tr3ykilla
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class
tr3ykilla

PostSubject: Re: Why I prefer psp to dsi (VERY LONG POST)   Why I prefer psp to dsi (VERY LONG POST) EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 2:53 pm

I agree, I also hate ps3 fanboys but that doesnt mean I hate Sony, the ps3 has good games and is a good system I just hate the ps3 fanboys thinking its the best thing since sliced bread and bashing on the 360 for no reason.
Back to top Go down
Arbiteris
Arbiteris

PostSubject: Re: Why I prefer psp to dsi (VERY LONG POST)   Why I prefer psp to dsi (VERY LONG POST) EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 3:14 pm

Same,i hate ps3 fanboys but i dont mind the ps3.I dont really care much about sony,but i HATE the e3 conferences.I would actually take a dsi over a psp.I do know psp is WAY better,its just im a bit of a nintendo fan.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why I prefer psp to dsi (VERY LONG POST)   Why I prefer psp to dsi (VERY LONG POST) Empty

Back to top Go down

Why I prefer psp to dsi (VERY LONG POST)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Other Platforms :: Other Gaming (General Talk)-
Jump to: