This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mass Effect 2. True RPG?

Go down 
+2
LegendaryRouge4
DustinDutRank
6 posters
AuthorMessage
DustinDutRank
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class
DustinDutRank

Mass Effect 2. True RPG? Empty
PostSubject: Mass Effect 2. True RPG?   Mass Effect 2. True RPG? EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 1:27 am

Being a frequent poster on the Bioware forums I have come across quite a few complaints about this game. Well not a few, many.

While most of the views of the game are similar, Amazing Visuals, Great Voice Acting, etc.
Some say that Mass Effect 2 is "Gears of War with dialog"

Now the term "RPG" has been thrown around alot these days with games that can be considered something else. Like Fallout or Oblivion, which could both be considered more Action Adventure.

So is Mass Effect 2 a Shooter with RPG elements? Or a RPG with Shooter elements?

Many seem to agree that Mass Effect is the RPG and Mass Effect 2 is the Shooter.

What are your opinions about the RPG/Shooter argument?
Back to top Go down
LegendaryRouge4

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect 2. True RPG?   Mass Effect 2. True RPG? EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 1:32 am

its a rpg to the core just becuase you dont take turns or level up traditionaly makes it no less of a rpg. your playing a role that you have influence over hence ME2 is a rpg. i would say more so then FF
Back to top Go down
DustinDutRank
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class
DustinDutRank

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect 2. True RPG?   Mass Effect 2. True RPG? EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 1:40 am

I'll post the link to the thread so you guys can see what I am talking about.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/103/index/851078/9#910483
Back to top Go down
Blixtstorm
Four Star General (Moderator)
Blixtstorm

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect 2. True RPG?   Mass Effect 2. True RPG? EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 7:00 am

Its an RPG with a shooter element, but from the perspective ME1 was more of an RPG then ME2.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Blixtstorm
343_Guilty_Spark
343_Guilty_Spark

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect 2. True RPG?   Mass Effect 2. True RPG? EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 7:10 am

It's an RPG, plain and simple. Is it like a JRPG? No. Is it an RPG in the far superior western style? Absolutely.

How do you define an RPG?

All it needs is three basic things:

Play the role of a character - Check

Build that character through some kind of skill/experience system - Check

Do things that effect the story, characters, and outcome of the game - Check

I'd say it's more of an RPG then most JRPGs. The battle system in Final Fantasy for example has nothing to do with it being an RPG and neither does the combat in Mass Effect.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bungie.net
ghost23

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect 2. True RPG?   Mass Effect 2. True RPG? EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 7:47 am

What game has consequences that carry through an entire trilogy that will dramatically change the way you play the game... Mass Effect 2.

IMO no other RPG has even come close to achieving true "role-playing" than Mass Effect 2.
As for the shooting, its not that similar to Gears since Gears has a much faster cover system, although that might not seem like a lot, it dramatically changes everything.
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect 2. True RPG?   Mass Effect 2. True RPG? EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 6:44 pm

343_Guilty_Spark wrote:
It's an RPG, plain and simple. Is it like a JRPG? No. Is it an RPG in the far superior western style? Absolutely.

How do you define an RPG?

All it needs is three basic things:

Play the role of a character - Check

Build that character through some kind of skill/experience system - Check

Do things that effect the story, characters, and outcome of the game - Check

I'd say it's more of an RPG then most JRPGs. The battle system in Final Fantasy for example has nothing to do with it being an RPG and neither does the combat in Mass Effect.

QFT

And the best thing about it is that it's not generic like any of those goddamn jrpgs >.<
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mass Effect 2. True RPG?   Mass Effect 2. True RPG? Empty

Back to top Go down

Mass Effect 2. True RPG?
Page 1 of 1