This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Death of Gaming?

Go down 
+10
joe11
Lt Xplosi
Arbiteris
Kendo
Blixtstorm
DarkSwarm85
Stigma
343_Guilty_Spark
Zombl337
Stoney
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Stoney
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Stoney

The Death of Gaming? Empty
PostSubject: The Death of Gaming?   The Death of Gaming? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 1:55 pm

http://uk.videogames.games.yahoo.com/blog/article/9173/

Fuck this BS. I have a feeling that Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo will follow suit.

Thu Mar 11 04:21PM by Yahoo! UK Games Editor

A brand new online service promises to serve games to your living rooms, LIVE, and without the need for an expensive console or a high-powered personal computer. It’s the future of gaming and – potentially – the death of traditional gaming devices as we know and love them.

OnLive – say it softly and not within earshot of Sony, Nintendo and co – circumvents the need to trudge to the shops, hand over your hard-earned cash and trudge all the way home again with the latest hot game. Instead, this ‘cloud’ service will deliver top games direct to your PC or TV screen instantly, using a small receiver unit that hooks up to your existing broadband connection.

All the heavy work, so to speak, is performed by powerful remote servers using clever compression routines. Players simply provide the required inputs using a joypad, as normal. The results of their efforts are then streamed back with almost non-existent lag. OnLive will run on a network of server centres placed so that no user is more than 1000 miles from one. In broadband terms that’s just down the road, figuratively speaking.

OnLive is set to launch on 17 June in the USA, with a worldwide rollout expected to follow shortly thereafter. Users will pay a $14.95 (£9.99) subscription fee each month, plus the cost of either buying or renting each game. In this regard OnLive has several very significant advantages: there’s no need to invest any further in a game you’re not enjoying; you can sample all the latest releases with minimal costs; and you’ll be able to remove some of the clutter from under/behind the telly and clear a bit of shelf space into the bargain.

OnLive also enjoys the support of many high-profile games publishers – removing the need to manufacture and physically distribute games is an obvious and lucrative benefit to them. Big-name titles such as Borderlands, Prince of Persia and Assassin’s Creed are among the launch games announced so far. Perhaps understandably, the big three console manufacturers are rather cooler on the whole idea

Last edited by xSTONEYx187x on Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Zombl337
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5

PostSubject: Re: The Death of Gaming?   The Death of Gaming? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 1:59 pm

$15 a month ($180 + Tax per Year) + $50-$60 for every game you buy....and if you stop subscribing to OnLive, your games are all gone. FUCK ONLIVE, I want a console and disc based games so I can sell them if I feel like it.
Back to top Go down
343_Guilty_Spark
Four Star General (Moderator)
343_Guilty_Spark

PostSubject: Re: The Death of Gaming?   The Death of Gaming? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 3:34 pm

Zombl337 wrote:
$15 a month ($180 + Tax per Year) + $50-$60 for every game you buy....and if you stop subscribing to OnLive, your games are all gone. FUCK ONLIVE, I want a console and disc based games so I can sell them if I feel like it.

And it's only PC games and it's not even all of them.

And you need a super fast broadband connection, not just a "fast" one, a super fast one.

And will you need a mouse/keyboard in your lap to play or will it magically make PC games that were never meant for a gamepad work well with them?

And how will I trade or sell the games I buy if I don't want them anymore?
Back to top Go down
http://www.bungie.net
Stigma
Stigma

PostSubject: Re: The Death of Gaming?   The Death of Gaming? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 7:41 pm