This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Inventive and Influential Shooters

Go down 
+6
DarkSwarm85
ZeInFormer
ghost23
joe11
DemonWolf
Wolfshiemhere
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Wolfshiemhere
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class

Inventive and Influential Shooters Empty
PostSubject: Inventive and Influential Shooters   Inventive and Influential Shooters EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 4:31 pm

Seeing as this generation is all about shooters, like the last generation was on about Action/Adventure and the generation before then RPGs it would be fair to wonder what the most inventive shooters are FOR THIS GENERATION, 2006 and beyond.

We'll have two categories here:
Most Inventive Shooter - Does the most original stuff
Most Influential Shooter - Caught on the most and affected the genre the most

For me it would be

Most Inventive - Metal Gear Online (Despite it being fairly broken in some parts it did a LOT of original things no one has done before that were very well done)
Most Influential - Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare (I really don't need to explain this)

What are your choices?
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
Four Star General (Moderator)
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: Inventive and Influential Shooters   Inventive and Influential Shooters EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 6:22 pm

Hmmm, well this is hard because my favourite shooters aren't inventive or influential, they're just freakin' fun!!

I guess for Inventive - Timeshift. It's the only shooter that online lets you mess around with time. It's done so well. I love it.

For influential, I guess MW2 but I want to include Halo 3 because it's got fantastic gameplay. It's just crazy and really awesome. I love the vehicles too!!

Also I think Crackdown and Crackdown 2 are very influential and inventive shooters. I mean, free roam in co-op!!! Also like 16 player deathmatches in which you are jumping the height of tall buildings!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
joe11
Ensign
Ensign
joe11

PostSubject: Re: Inventive and Influential Shooters   Inventive and Influential Shooters EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 8:14 pm

Most Inventive Shooter - WOLFSTIVE
Most Influential Shooter - COD SERIES
Back to top Go down
ghost23

PostSubject: Re: Inventive and Influential Shooters   Inventive and Influential Shooters EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 9:27 pm

Not too sure about most inventive but I still think that Halo 3 was the most influential in terms of fast gameplay and great online matchmaking.

CoD matchmaking is a pile of shit compared to Halo 3.
Back to top Go down
ZeInFormer
Command Master Chief Petty Officer

PostSubject: Re: Inventive and Influential Shooters   Inventive and Influential Shooters EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 9:48 pm

I'm gonna teach you guys some FPS 101 knowledge

Most Inventive Shooter - Halo or Half-Life. Both of the series created massive clones.

Half-Life intrdouced where there are no levels, it basically go from chapter to chapter, the game started out as a normal day at work where most shooters usually start right away to the action, the gravity gun, and it was possibly one of the or the first FPS game with smart AI. This made the Half-Life series a huge success and it won 50+ awards for these innovations and it totally deserved it. And the game itself, it's amazing.

Halo created a new genre of shooters. With only having two weapons to carry, it makes the player to think about their decision and it's a step towards realism. Not only that, console shooters never had the fast reaction time to switch weapons compared to PC gamers. I can switch weapon #2 to weapon #8 faster on the PC than the console. With two weapons only, I can have similar results to the PC shooters with 10+ weapons. Halo created a new health system which pretty much took away frustration and changed the mentality towards the gamer. You don't have to worry about having 10 hp and taking down a crapload of enemies. Still that doesn't make the game easy. This was a revolutionary step to the fps world. Halo also introduced or popularized the grenade button on consoles. It's possibly the first console fps game with vehicule assault and it sets the standard for both console and PC shooters. Halo also introduced the "Golden Triangle of Halo"- I think that's what it's called. It's basically a balance between your grenades, your gun, and your melee-a step towards realism and it's one of Halo' s signiture gameplay. This kind of confuses people that Halo could be a tactical shooter, but what about the amount of enemies you fight? So is it a mindless shooter or a tactical shooter? The answer is still unresolved. Halo is possibly the very first console shooter that can match up the same quality to PC shooters in terms of AI. So no more PC fanboys stereotyping that "PC FPS games will offer the true FPS experience bullcrap." When Halo: Combat Evolved came out, I couldn't think of any PC exclusive FPS title to match with it's quality. At the end of the day, Halo is what you call a " a very well polished and smart console FPS game."

Most Influential Shooter - Easy one. Doom. If it wasn't for Doom, you could kiss your halo, call of duty, half-life, and almost every big FPS franchise goodbye. Doom may not be the first first person shooter, but it set the standards in the market and it popularized the genre unlike Wolfenstein 3D and Catacombs 3D. Doom brought the genre armor, power/experimental weapons, power-ups, teleporters, and I think it was the very first game with deathmatch option if you LAN. Not only that pushing the genre into a sub-genre which us gamers would like to call it the "mindless shooter" genre. And the game itself is a classic. Nothing makes your day than killing a horde of monsters with your double barrel shotgun or taking about 30 imps down with your BFG 9000.
Back to top Go down
Wolfshiemhere
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class

PostSubject: Re: Inventive and Influential Shooters   Inventive and Influential Shooters EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 2:08 am

ZeInFormer wrote:

Most Inventive Shooter - Halo or Half-Life. Both of the series created massive clones.

Half-Life intrdouced where there are no levels, it basically go from chapter to chapter, the game started out as a normal day at work where most shooters usually start right away to the action, the gravity gun, and it was possibly one of the or the first FPS game with smart AI. This made the Half-Life series a huge success and it won 50+ awards for these innovations and it totally deserved it. And the game itself, it's amazing.

Halo created a new genre of shooters. With only having two weapons to carry, it makes the player to think about their decision and it's a step towards realism. Not only that, console shooters never had the fast reaction time to switch weapons compared to PC gamers. I can switch weapon #2 to weapon #8 faster on the PC than the console. With two weapons only, I can have similar results to the PC shooters with 10+ weapons. Halo created a new health system which pretty much took away frustration and changed the mentality towards the gamer. You don't have to worry about having 10 hp and taking down a crapload of enemies. Still that doesn't make the game easy. This was a revolutionary step to the fps world. Halo also introduced or popularized the grenade button on consoles. It's possibly the first console fps game with vehicule assault and it sets the standard for both console and PC shooters. Halo also introduced the "Golden Triangle of Halo"- I think that's what it's called. It's basically a balance between your grenades, your gun, and your melee-a step towards realism and it's one of Halo' s signiture gameplay. This kind of confuses people that Halo could be a tactical shooter, but what about the amount of enemies you fight? So is it a mindless shooter or a tactical shooter? The answer is still unresolved. Halo is possibly the very first console shooter that can match up the same quality to PC shooters in terms of AI. So no more PC fanboys stereotyping that "PC FPS games will offer the true FPS experience bullcrap." When Halo: Combat Evolved came out, I couldn't think of any PC exclusive FPS title to match with it's quality. At the end of the day, Halo is what you call a " a very well polished and smart console FPS game."

This was supposed to be only for only this generation but I applaud you for this silly post.
Back to top Go down
ZeInFormer

PostSubject: Re: Inventive and Influential Shooters   Inventive and Influential Shooters EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 2:37 am

Wolfshiemhere wrote:
ZeInFormer wrote:

This was supposed to be only for only this generation but I applaud you for this silly post.
I can't do it in this gen. It just feels to be limited and I must go in a bit more detail Very Happy. So I'll just start from the early days to this day.
Back to top Go down
DarkSwarm85
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer
DarkSwarm85

PostSubject: Re: Inventive and Influential Shooters   Inventive and Influential Shooters EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 6:15 am

DOOM PWNZ ALL !!! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Kendo
Ensign
Ensign
Kendo

PostSubject: Re: Inventive and Influential Shooters   Inventive and Influential Shooters EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 11:56 am

Perfect Dark is an awesome, perfect shooter. No one can argue this (most people are gonna argue this).
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuboy1000
arnt god of war
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
arnt god of war

PostSubject: Re: Inventive and Influential Shooters   Inventive and Influential Shooters EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 3:48 pm

most influencial is cod(this gen at least)
and the only thing i can thing of right now thats inventive isnt out but ill put it anyways
most inventive game will be brink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Inventive and Influential Shooters   Inventive and Influential Shooters EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 4:44 pm

Most inventive-Marathon
Most innovative-Halo
Back to top Go down
Wolfshiemhere
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class

PostSubject: Re: Inventive and Influential Shooters   Inventive and Influential Shooters EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 5:41 pm

Ezekiel 703 wrote:
Most inventive-Marathon
What.
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: Inventive and Influential Shooters   Inventive and Influential Shooters EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 1:44 pm

ZeInFormer wrote:

Most Influential Shooter - Easy one. Doom. If it wasn't for Doom, you could kiss your halo, call of duty, half-life, and almost every big FPS franchise goodbye. Doom may not be the first first person shooter, but it set the standards in the market and it popularized the genre unlike Wolfenstein 3D and Catacombs 3D. Doom brought the genre armor, power/experimental weapons, power-ups, teleporters, and I think it was the very first game with deathmatch option if you LAN. Not only that pushing the genre into a sub-genre which us gamers would like to call it the "mindless shooter" genre. And the game itself is a classic. Nothing makes your day than killing a horde of monsters with your double barrel shotgun or taking about 30 imps down with your BFG 9000.

Reallly nice post Smile You must've spent quite some time on that and you educated me too lol.

I never realised that halo Triangle thing. It's actually very true
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
Thebruteslayer17
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class
Thebruteslayer17

PostSubject: Re: Inventive and Influential Shooters   Inventive and Influential Shooters EmptyWed May 26, 2010 1:43 am

Most Inventive: Halo 3
Most Influential: Halo: Combat Evolved

Period.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Inventive and Influential Shooters   Inventive and Influential Shooters EmptyWed May 26, 2010 8:14 am

Most Inventive - MGO
Most Influential - CoD4, and thats just a given.
Back to top Go down
Noelol
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Noelol

PostSubject: Re: Inventive and Influential Shooters   Inventive and Influential Shooters EmptyWed May 26, 2010 8:18 am

Most Inventive - Quake Live
Most Influential - Counter Strike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Inventive and Influential Shooters   Inventive and Influential Shooters EmptyWed May 26, 2010 7:55 pm

NoelX2 wrote:
Most Inventive - Quake Live
Most Influential - Counter Strike

of this gen..Counter Strike is not this gen.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Inventive and Influential Shooters   Inventive and Influential Shooters Empty

Back to top Go down

Inventive and Influential Shooters
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Other Platforms :: Other Gaming (General Talk)-
Jump to: