This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Digital Foundry "Halo: Reach Beta is 720p native"

Go down 
+4
Spartan v07
ghost23
Alan1994
343_Guilty_Spark
8 posters
AuthorMessage
343_Guilty_Spark
Four Star General (Moderator)
343_Guilty_Spark

Digital Foundry "Halo: Reach Beta is 720p native" Empty
PostSubject: Digital Foundry "Halo: Reach Beta is 720p native"   Digital Foundry "Halo: Reach Beta is 720p native" EmptySat May 01, 2010 4:17 pm

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-halo-reach-beta-article

Quote :
There was quite a lot of discussion in the comments section about the screenshots from the beta we posted yesterday, wondering if the game is 720p or not.

They go on to talk about how impressed they are with Halo: Reach's presentation and constant 30 frames per second performance. Let me remind you that the game is still in beta and will continue to improve before launching this fall.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bungie.net
Alan1994
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Alan1994

PostSubject: Re: Digital Foundry "Halo: Reach Beta is 720p native"   Digital Foundry "Halo: Reach Beta is 720p native" EmptySat May 01, 2010 4:41 pm

It's actually 1152 X 720 (internally). Not 1:1 720p.

I was confused as to why Bungie did this. But apparently since Halo uses 2 frame buffers we are still getting 1280 horizontal lines of resolution.

Halo 3 was native 1152 X 640, with 2 framebuffers which made it equivalent to 1280 X 640.

Halo Reach is native 1152 X 720, with 2 framebuffers which makes it equivalent to 1280 X 720.

Either Way it's 720p quality and it looks like they are adding 2xAA. The biggest problem in Halo 3 was the aliasing.
Back to top Go down
ghost23

PostSubject: Re: Digital Foundry "Halo: Reach Beta is 720p native"   Digital Foundry "Halo: Reach Beta is 720p native" EmptySat May 01, 2010 5:54 pm

Very nice. Reach is going to be an amazing visual experience.
Back to top Go down
Spartan v07
Fleet Master Chief Petty Officer
Spartan v07

PostSubject: Re: Digital Foundry "Halo: Reach Beta is 720p native"   Digital Foundry "Halo: Reach Beta is 720p native" EmptySat May 01, 2010 6:58 pm

Reach doesn't look that good graphically.it looks better than Halo 3 but not that much better. Alan wake is an impressive game in visuals.
Back to top Go down
Alan1994
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Alan1994

PostSubject: Re: Digital Foundry "Halo: Reach Beta is 720p native"   Digital Foundry "Halo: Reach Beta is 720p native" EmptySat May 01, 2010 7:06 pm

Spartan v07 wrote:
Reach doesn't look that good graphically.it looks better than Halo 3 but not that much better. Alan wake is an impressive game in visuals.

IMO it's going to be the best looking and technical FPS to date. The textures, the amount of polygons on the weapons and character models, the lighting, and advanced AI, the number of AI on screen, etc. Don't judge a game based off of really compressed videos. Killzone 2 looks fugly on Youtube but looks pretty good on my HDTV. I have no doubt Halo Reach will have this same effect while playing on an HDTV, especially when it's running 720p.

Alan Wake is an impressive game when it comes to visuals. Remedy has created a visual master piece and a completely cinematic experience. But Halo Reach beats it in terms of technicallity. I mean the advanced AI in Reach will take almost an entire CPU core alone, I'd imagine. It's probably the biggest reason why Halo Reach will not be using Project Natal since it will need atleast 15% of the 360's CPU power.
Back to top Go down
343_Guilty_Spark
343_Guilty_Spark

PostSubject: Re: Digital Foundry "Halo: Reach Beta is 720p native"   Digital Foundry "Halo: Reach Beta is 720p native" EmptySat May 01, 2010 8:17 pm

Alan1994 wrote:
Spartan v07 wrote:

IMO it's going to be the best looking and technical FPS to date. The textures, the amount of polygons on the weapons and character models, the lighting, and advanced AI, the number of AI on screen, etc. Don't judge a game based off of really compressed videos. Killzone 2 looks fugly on Youtube but looks pretty good on my HDTV. I have no doubt Halo Reach will have this same effect while playing on an HDTV, especially when it's running 720p.

Alan Wake is an impressive game when it comes to visuals. Remedy has created a visual master piece and a completely cinematic experience. But Halo Reach beats it in terms of technicallity. I mean the advanced AI in Reach will take almost an entire CPU core alone, I'd imagine. It's probably the biggest reason why Halo Reach will not be using Project Natal since it will need atleast 15% of the 360's CPU power.

Yeah and it doesn't just look great technically. It's full of vibrant colors. To me making a game look good in grays and browns is easy like in KillZone 2. It gets really hard to keep things looking nice with lots of colors everywhere. Halo always has the best art design.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bungie.net
Spartan v07
Spartan v07

PostSubject: Re: Digital Foundry "Halo: Reach Beta is 720p native"   Digital Foundry "Halo: Reach Beta is 720p native" EmptySat May 01, 2010 8:30 pm

Alan1994 wrote:
Spartan v07 wrote:

Ai is not counted in the graphics department.also how do you know if the AI in alan wake is not as good? alan wake looks better,that means it beats reach in graphics.
Back to top Go down
ghost23

PostSubject: Re: Digital Foundry "Halo: Reach Beta is 720p native"   Digital Foundry "Halo: Reach Beta is 720p native" EmptySat May 01, 2010 8:38 pm

Spartan v07 wrote:
Alan1994 wrote:
Spartan v07 wrote:

Ai is not counted in the graphics department.also how do you know if the AI in alan wake is not as good? alan wake looks better,that means it beats reach in graphics.

Dude, we've all seen final builds of Alan Wake but the only Reach campaign footage we've seen is pre-alpha. The beta graphics do not give an accurate representation because it is a multiplayer beta and of course the visuals are scaled back.
Back to top Go down
Spartan v07
Spartan v07

PostSubject: Re: Digital Foundry "Halo: Reach Beta is 720p native"   Digital Foundry "Halo: Reach Beta is 720p native" EmptySat May 01, 2010 9:37 pm

ghost23 wrote:
Spartan v07 wrote:
Alan1994 wrote:
Spartan v07 wrote:

Dude, we've all seen final builds of Alan Wake but the only Reach campaign footage we've seen is pre-alpha. The beta graphics do not give an accurate representation because it is a multiplayer beta and of course the visuals are scaled back.

yea but it won't look that much better than online. If you see any other game the single player is only a very slight better that is barely noticeable.
Back to top Go down
Alan1994
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Alan1994

PostSubject: Re: Digital Foundry "Halo: Reach Beta is 720p native"   Digital Foundry "Halo: Reach Beta is 720p native" EmptySat May 01, 2010 10:08 pm

Spartan v07 wrote:
Alan1994 wrote:
Spartan v07 wrote:

AI, Physics, and Graphics all take processing power. AI and Physics are just as important if not more important than graphics. Halo Reach will have 40+ enemies on screen, 20+ vehicles, and advanced AI. Alan Wake will probably have like 5-6 enemies on-screen at most. I mean Alan Wake really isn't the war-simulation type game.

So basically:

Technicallity- Halo Reach
Overall presentation and visuals- Alan Wake
Back to top Go down
Spartan v07
Spartan v07

PostSubject: Re: Digital Foundry "Halo: Reach Beta is 720p native"   Digital Foundry "Halo: Reach Beta is 720p native" EmptySat May 01, 2010 10:44 pm

Alan1994 wrote:
Spartan v07 wrote:
Alan1994 wrote:
Spartan v07 wrote:

AI, Physics, and Graphics all take processing power. AI and Physics are just as important if not more important than graphics. Halo Reach will have 40+ enemies on screen, 20+ vehicles, and advanced AI. Alan Wake will probably have like 5-6 enemies on-screen at most. I mean Alan Wake really isn't the war-simulation type game.

So basically:

yea that is what i mean that alan wake looks better.btw where did you hear about 40 enemies,that is pretty sick.also are they elites?and isnt the physics from Halo 2?Halo always had nice physics.
Back to top Go down
joe11
Ensign
Ensign
joe11

PostSubject: Re: Digital Foundry "Halo: Reach Beta is 720p native"   Digital Foundry "Halo: Reach Beta is 720p native" EmptySat May 01, 2010 11:02 pm

well i wonder how the final product will come out
Back to top Go down
Alan1994
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Alan1994

PostSubject: Re: Digital Foundry "Halo: Reach Beta is 720p native"   Digital Foundry "Halo: Reach Beta is 720p native" EmptySat May 01, 2010 11:09 pm

Spartan v07 wrote:
Alan1994 wrote:
Spartan v07 wrote:
Alan1994 wrote:
Spartan v07 wrote:

So basically:

yea that is what i mean that alan wake looks better.btw where did you hear about 40 enemies,that is pretty sick.also are they elites?and isnt the physics from Halo 2?Halo always had nice physics.

You should watch the first ViDoc of Halo Reach, "Up on the Breach" I think it's called.

They explain the graphical and technical improvements. Like how the weapon models alone have more polygons than an entire Halo 3 Marine.
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: Digital Foundry "Halo: Reach Beta is 720p native"   Digital Foundry "Halo: Reach Beta is 720p native" EmptySun May 02, 2010 6:58 am

Alan1994 wrote:
Spartan v07 wrote:

Yeah you make good points.
I doubt Reach will look as good as Crysis though.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
daveMastaKill
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
daveMastaKill

PostSubject: Re: Digital Foundry "Halo: Reach Beta is 720p native"   Digital Foundry "Halo: Reach Beta is 720p native" EmptySun May 02, 2010 9:18 am

Spartan v07 wrote:

The VGA debut looks damn amazing. Also this shit only the BETA so no worries.
Back to top Go down
Alan1994
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Alan1994

PostSubject: Re: Digital Foundry "Halo: Reach Beta is 720p native"   Digital Foundry "Halo: Reach Beta is 720p native" EmptySun May 02, 2010 1:51 pm

demondragondude wrote:
Alan1994 wrote:
Spartan v07 wrote:

Yeah you make good points.
I doubt Reach will look as good as Crysis though.

Oh I almost forgot about Crysis. I guess that does count. I guess when I meant to say was Halo Reach is the best looking "console" FPS. But Crysis looks good depending on your PC gaming setup. If you have a graphics card equivalent to the Xenos on your PC while playing Crysis; Reach will still look better. The extra resolution and frame rate you get on Crysis's max setting is what makes it look so amazing. Crysis 2, judging by some beta screenshots, still doesn't look as good as Reach.
Back to top Go down
Zombl337
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5

PostSubject: Re: Digital Foundry "Halo: Reach Beta is 720p native"   Digital Foundry "Halo: Reach Beta is 720p native" EmptySun May 02, 2010 10:44 pm

Halo Reach is sexy looking (one of the best looking games this gen).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Digital Foundry "Halo: Reach Beta is 720p native"   Digital Foundry "Halo: Reach Beta is 720p native" Empty

Back to top Go down

Digital Foundry "Halo: Reach Beta is 720p native"
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General Xbox360 Discussion :: Xbox 360 News-
Jump to: