This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Most Important Consoles: 360 gets listed not PS3

Go down 
+7
daveMastaKill
Alan1994
Ozsem
DemonWolf
igame
ghost23
343_Guilty_Spark
11 posters
AuthorMessage
343_Guilty_Spark
Four Star General (Moderator)
343_Guilty_Spark

Most Important Consoles: 360 gets listed not PS3 Empty
PostSubject: Most Important Consoles: 360 gets listed not PS3   Most Important Consoles: 360 gets listed not PS3 EmptySat May 08, 2010 4:45 am

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/6-most-important-game-consoles-of-all-time-ever/a-20100507113257588032

Over at Games Radar they made a list of the top six most important consoles of all time and while Xbox 360 and the Wii made the list Sony only got recognition for the now ancient original Playstation. LOL, the PS3 is nowhere to be seen. As it should be. Smile

Quote :
Someone asked me recently what I thought was the most important games console of all time ever. I thought it was a good question, because it was hard to answer and I've been told that good questions are always the hardest to answer. Like "What do the ghosts turn into when Pac-Man eats them?" and "If Lakitu is the camera dude, then whose filming Lakitu?"

In fact, I found the question so hard to answer, I didn't answer it at all. Instead, I came up with an alternative answer. An alternative answer to an alternative question that instead asked: "What are the six most important game consoles of all time ever and can you list them in a non-specific order besides the order in which they were released, oldest to newest?" Now there's a question I could answer. Here it is:

Magnavox Odyssey

The name makes it sound like something NASA would spend 300 Gazillion Dollars on before launching it into space to deep-probe Uranus. In reality, it's as primitive as consoles get. There's more technology in the square button of a PlayStation controller. But, released in the olden times of 1972, that's to be expected.Why's it on the list? For the same reason that 'Adam' would be on any self-respecting Bible-basher's list of '6 most important men of all time ever'. That is, because it's the first. The first home games console ever.

Atari 2600

What a machine. Wood veneer. Cartridge games. Paddle controllers. Popularised playing games at home. Important. I poured a lot of hours into the Atari 2600. Most of the games were retrospectively piss poor, but at the time it didn't matter. It was like being at the arcade, but at home. That's the fun and happy arcades of the early 80s. Not today's stinking gambling pits of human misery where old people and drug addicts go to die.My mate got an Atari 2600 before me and I practically moved into his place. His dad used to smoke a lot of cigarettes and I think all that passive-smoking started my nicotine dependency. It’s a habit I still haven't kicked nearly 30 years later. But when I think back to all the good times I had playing Asteroids, it was definitely worth it.

NES

The machine that firmly established Nintendo as a world super power. At least in the super power world of gaming. It also introduced home-based gamers to the likes of Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and a bunch of other games that are *still* kicking around today.The NES also helped make things good again after the disastrous video game crash of 1983, which was mostly caused by the overwhelming amount of piss poor games being released for the Atari 2600. Which, you may remember, was the previous entry on this list.

PlayStation

PlayStation turned the industry on its head, kicked it up the ass and then stole all the cake. If you're looking for a console that helped gaming get its foot in the mass market door, then PlayStation is it. I worked in a game shop during the PlayStation heyday and 90% of shelf space was occupied by games for Sony's machine. It was a busy console with *lots* of games feeding a huge audience.In comparison, we used to occasionally move the same old N64 games around a bit just to make it look like something was happening. Sometimes we'd put 'Out of stock' stickers on the many boxes of Glover just for laughs. It was pretty crazy. We only visited the Sega Saturn section when it needed dusting.

Xbox 360

Yep - Xbox 360 is on the list thanks to Xbox Live. I'm talking about the whole of Xbox Live here, not just the gaming online bit. So don't bother whining to me about how Dreamcast did it in 1999 with a bloody dial-up modem.I miss the simplicity of a game console being just a game console, but progress is a juggernaut that cannot be stopped no matter how many kittens you throw in front of it. So now we must have machines that play games and do a whole bunch of other useful stuff besides. And Xbox 360 has set the benchmark by doing it the best.

Wii

It hurts me to put this on the list, but I can't deny that Wii is one of the six most important consoles of all time ever. I still despise the sickeningly contrived rebirth of Nintendo, but the company's new approach to gaming (which is now over three years old) is undoubtedly having a major influence on the games of the future. That is, Microsoft's Natal and Sony's Move. The prospect of more idiotic arm-waving does not fill me with joy, but it is important nonetheless.

And while I think Wii's casual games should be rated 'R' for Remedial, any console that can appeal to almost any living thing on the planet - from embryonic egg sac to musty-smelling pensioner - has to be recognised as being kind of a big deal. And I must admit that I really am rather enjoying playing Sin & Punishment: Successor of the Skies at the moment. So Wii's not all bad. The name's still complete wank though.

So that's the consoles I'd rate as the six most important of all time ever. Agree? Disagree? Have your own 'opinions'? Let them out. Please do. And if you're wondering why the GameBoy isn't here, it's because I made the decision that this list would be proper home consoles, not handhelds.

LOL, PS3 fantards are already shouting "But PS3 haz da blu ray!!!!!". I love how they always jump to Blu-Ray when gamers should only care about gaming not watching movies on a gaming machine.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bungie.net
343_Guilty_Spark
343_Guilty_Spark

PostSubject: Re: Most Important Consoles: 360 gets listed not PS3   Most Important Consoles: 360 gets listed not PS3 EmptySat May 08, 2010 4:50 am

Actual comment: "I disagree with the fact Xbox 360 is on there over the PS3! The PS3 introduced blu ray and is an entire home entertainment system, not just a fantastic games console." - rocketminx
Back to top Go down
ghost23

PostSubject: Re: Most Important Consoles: 360 gets listed not PS3   Most Important Consoles: 360 gets listed not PS3 EmptySat May 08, 2010 5:49 am

XBOX Live definitely deserves to be there because it is arguably the most revolutionary thing in gaming.
Back to top Go down
igame
Senior Chief Petty Officer
Senior Chief Petty Officer
igame

PostSubject: Re: Most Important Consoles: 360 gets listed not PS3   Most Important Consoles: 360 gets listed not PS3 EmptySat May 08, 2010 6:10 am

I would of liked this article if you had just said "the 360 gets recognize for its amazing online" and no its not the most revolutionary thing in gaming.
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: Most Important Consoles: 360 gets listed not PS3   Most Important Consoles: 360 gets listed not PS3 EmptySat May 08, 2010 6:42 am

LOL! Remember IGN's top 25 gaming systems of all time. Ps3 was near the end, 360 was 6th place! Very Happy

Blu-Ray = Nothing in terms of gaming. Ps3 fanboys need to recognise that.

Oh and PC wasn't on that list either. Sorry ps3 fanboys, you have no back up either.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
Ozsem
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostSubject: Re: Most Important Consoles: 360 gets listed not PS3   Most Important Consoles: 360 gets listed not PS3 EmptySat May 08, 2010 10:37 am

Is PS2 on thie list? Im suprised if it isn't.

PS3 last place so it will be never important.
Back to top Go down
Alan1994
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Alan1994

PostSubject: Re: Most Important Consoles: 360 gets listed not PS3   Most Important Consoles: 360 gets listed not PS3 EmptySat May 08, 2010 11:04 am

Lol with the Blu-ray arguements.

Some interesting facts abolut Blu-ray on the PS3 if you haven't alreayd seen it:

https://xboxrepublic.forumotion.com/the-console-war-f1/why-blu-ray-carries-no-practicallity-this-generation-t4310.htm
Back to top Go down
daveMastaKill
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
daveMastaKill

PostSubject: Re: Most Important Consoles: 360 gets listed not PS3   Most Important Consoles: 360 gets listed not PS3 EmptySat May 08, 2010 11:08 am

PlayStation forever people. PlayStation 3? fuck that....
Back to top Go down
gamezenthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Most Important Consoles: 360 gets listed not PS3   Most Important Consoles: 360 gets listed not PS3 EmptySat May 08, 2010 12:37 pm

If they were going to put the 360 up there for XBL, why not put the original Xbox instead? Wouldn't that make more sense? The OXBL innovated online play, the 360's XBL just improved on it drastically.
Back to top Go down
Kendo
Ensign
Ensign
Kendo

PostSubject: Re: Most Important Consoles: 360 gets listed not PS3   Most Important Consoles: 360 gets listed not PS3 EmptySat May 08, 2010 1:23 pm

Awesome. Now I can go brag about this to PS3 fanboys.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuboy1000

PostSubject: Re: Most Important Consoles: 360 gets listed not PS3   Most Important Consoles: 360 gets listed not PS3 EmptySat May 08, 2010 1:30 pm

They should have had the PS2 on there. But otherwise I pretty much agree with this list.
Back to top Go down
joe11
Ensign
Ensign
joe11

PostSubject: Re: Most Important Consoles: 360 gets listed not PS3   Most Important Consoles: 360 gets listed not PS3 EmptySat May 08, 2010 9:26 pm

they should replace wii 4 ps2 it has the biggest game library, and its the highest selling consoles ever
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Most Important Consoles: 360 gets listed not PS3   Most Important Consoles: 360 gets listed not PS3 EmptySat May 08, 2010 9:34 pm

joe11 wrote:
they should replace wii 4 ps2 it has the biggest game library, and its the highest selling consoles ever

I thought the Wii passed the PS2?
Back to top Go down
joe11
Ensign
Ensign
joe11

PostSubject: Re: Most Important Consoles: 360 gets listed not PS3   Most Important Consoles: 360 gets listed not PS3 EmptySat May 08, 2010 9:35 pm

TheJubJub57212 wrote:
joe11 wrote:

no wii's at 70 million while ps2 is 140million plus
Back to top Go down
343_Guilty_Spark
343_Guilty_Spark

PostSubject: Re: Most Important Consoles: 360 gets listed not PS3   Most Important Consoles: 360 gets listed not PS3 EmptySat May 08, 2010 10:50 pm

joe11 wrote:
TheJubJub57212 wrote:
joe11 wrote:

no wii's at 70 million while ps2 is 140million plus

This isnt' a list of top selling, it's a list of "most important", PS2 didn't do anything for the industry other than steal market share from Sega and force them to leave the hardware business. If anything the PS2 should be reviled for what it did not celebrated.

Last edited by 343_Guilty_Spark on Sun May 09, 2010 4:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Noelol
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Noelol

PostSubject: Re: Most Important Consoles: 360 gets listed not PS3   Most Important Consoles: 360 gets listed not PS3 EmptySat May 08, 2010 11:25 pm

Seems like a revolutionary list.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Most Important Consoles: 360 gets listed not PS3   Most Important Consoles: 360 gets listed not PS3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Most Important Consoles: 360 gets listed not PS3
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General Xbox360 Discussion :: 360 vs PS3-
Jump to: