This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Resistance: Fall of Man review by me!

Go down 
+3
DarkSwarm85
Noelol
ZeInFormer
7 posters
AuthorMessage
ZeInFormer
Command Master Chief Petty Officer

Resistance: Fall of Man review by me! Empty
PostSubject: Resistance: Fall of Man review by me!   Resistance: Fall of Man review by me! EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 11:19 pm

My all time favorite PS3 game and it's definitely one of the best FPS games I've ever played. Enjoy!

Before the actual review starts, I just want to say that this game is by far one of the best games I've ever played since Halo: Combat Evolved. It really proves people that you don't have to be innovative to make very excellent games, but itells you that it's all about how you design the game and how you make it very enjoyable for players to play. In this day and age, first-person shooters are starting to change its standards. For examples, weapons are starting to have recoil, your movement speed are getting slower, you're fighting fewer enemies compared to games like Doom, 2 weapons only, and regenerating life which gives you no reason to have medpacks. Resistance: Fall of Man is somewhat like that, but at it's core, it's an FPS that perfected both of using the right flavor of old and new first-person shooter elements to appeal its audience.

The story is a "what if" kind. Basically, what happened if WW2 never happened, but we get invaded by the Chimera, a powerful alien race that's taking over the world. Yes, you might have seen a lot of these storyline from a lot of other games like Doom or Halo, but it's actually well told and the progression is real good by where you're going from point A to point B. The story is told by cutscenes with back stories of what you've experienced or what you're about to experience by Rachel Parker, who's pretty much a standard female soldier and your narrator. You play as Nathan Hale and he looks like he's another silent FPS protagonist, but he actually does talk, but he doesn't show much of his personality. He's pretty much like Master Chief, he just does what's he supposed to do. Overall, it's a good story and the idea of having Rachel giving you background story makes it even more intriguing and complex.

Resistance: Fall of Man review by me! Resistance-fall-of-man-200607200953
If you have an HDTV, Resistance: Fall of Man is very enjoyable to watch.
Resistance: Fall of Man review by me! 20070609-resistance-fall-of-man-scr
Outnumbered and outgunned.

This was one of the very first game for the PS3 and the graphics were solid at best. The color is a bit bland, but terms of textures, everything looks alright. It's definitely new gen and it's up to date. The sound is perfect. All weapons sound great, voice acting sounds realistic, and the Chimera sounds ferocious. The music is also good. It has this tough military-esque feel to it with a feeling of horror and fear. It does it's job in certain area to give the player an atmospheric experience.

Resistance: Fall of Man review by me! Resistance_ps3_wp
Move over Covenant, there's a new bad alien race in town.
Resistance: Fall of Man review by me! Resistance-fall-of-man-200606020458
Run and gun in this game! Don't stand there!
Resistance: Fall of Man review by me! Resistance-fall-of-man-200611100644
You'll be fighting some very tough aliens in this game.
Resistance: Fall of Man review by me! HiResScreenShots10
DIE, DIE, DIE!

Resistance: Fall of Man is not your standard shooter. It's a hybrid of what the best shooters from both old school and new school genre have to offfer. It's main influences are from Half-Life, Doom, Halo, Perfect Dark, and Call of Duty. The Call of Duty puts the game in WW2 settings, the weapons are all well crafted and exotic which are obviously from Perfect Dark, intelligent story-telling and fearful atmosphere from Half-Life, and the great and addicting gunplay and gameplay mechanics are both from Doom and Halo-running and gunning!. Basically, Resistance got everything what you want to make a great first-person shooter and there's always something for everyone. There's medpacks if you're into having a game that forces you to find medpacks and there's regeneration life if you're into the Halo or Call of Duty games. The game allows you to carry all the weapons you find just like the Doom days and there's about 14-16 weapons you can carry and they're fairly balanced out. Most of the time you will be relying you're human or alien assault rifle. A lot of the weapons are very fun to use. For example, the Bullseye is this alien assault rifle with 70 bullets per clip and you can "tag" an enemy and it'll home them everytime you shoot. Then there's the Auger which is like this gun you can create your own cover and you can pretty much shoot through it with that gun. It's basically a gun that pays tribute to Perfect Dark's beloved Farsight XR20, but it's a semi-automatic weapon instead of sniper rifle. There are grenades too. You got the good standard frag grenade which you can throw it pretty far for a good amount of damage. You got the Hedge Hog grenade which can't be thrown at the same distance as the frag, but bigger damage distance. Now, the "power grenades": you have this grenade which can stick people and it takes while to explode, but when it explodes, it creates a huge area of flame which is deadly at taking large group of enemies. The last power grenade is like a shield grenade that protects you form bullets and it bounces back to enemies that shoot at you, but you can still shoot through the shield. The game's very intense in terms of firefight. You will be fighting numerous amounts of enemies and sometimes the frame rate can drop, but once you kill them, it's back to the solid 30 fps. There's a lot of enemies right so you think the enemies are all brain dead just like the good days of Doom, right? Wrong, the Chimera are just as lethal compared to the Halo's Covenant. They will jump if you throw a grenade, they will take cover, or sometimes rush up to you, or maybe flank you. They are very smart and unpredictable and this gives the game a lot of replay value. You do have marines fighting side by side, but they're pretty much your body bags. They're not like there to completely help you. The game got a lot of different types of enemies to keep the games from getting repetitive, but most of the time, you'll be fighting standard Chimera soldiers with guns. Some of the enemies are somewhat references to the good old demons from Doom. There's this big Chimera called Titan and he will remind players of the Cyberdemon if you played any of the Doom games. The game will last around 12-15 hours and there's one more thing that needs to be said about this game. It's pretty punishing to play on your first playthrough. The game got some very bad checkpoints and it could frustrate you at times. For example, you can spend like 5 minutes playing and if you die once, you have to waste another 5 minutes again. It's not cause of the game is cheap, but it's pretty challenging at most parts. However, veteran first-person shooters would probably be fine due to having experiences of playing many other first-person shooters.

The multiplayer component feels very average. It's like Halo and Unreal Tournament, but it just doesn't feel as polished compared to the campaign. I only played like 3 games and I pretty much never touched it. It's just very run of the mill. Also most people are playing with 1 shot kill option on which is stupid. There are still some people playing it the "real way", but you have to play ranked matches for those. The amount of people that still play is quite decent.

If you're looking for the definitive game for the PS3, then look no further, you already found it after reading this review. Resistance: Fall of Man is not simply the best first-person shooter on the PS3, but it's one of the best to come out all year. It deserves to be on the title for being one of the greatest first-person shooter ever made. 10/10.

Resistance: Fall of Man review by me! Resistance-Screenshot_1_7
Back to top Go down
Noelol
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Noelol

PostSubject: Re: Resistance: Fall of Man review by me!   Resistance: Fall of Man review by me! EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 11:40 pm

Awesome review... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DarkSwarm85
Master Chief Petty Officer
DarkSwarm85

PostSubject: Re: Resistance: Fall of Man review by me!   Resistance: Fall of Man review by me! EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 2:05 am

Resistance 1 > Resistance 2
Back to top Go down
ZeInFormer

PostSubject: Re: Resistance: Fall of Man review by me!   Resistance: Fall of Man review by me! EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 5:16 am

^Amen Very Happy.
Back to top Go down
Arbiteris
Four Star General (Moderator)
Arbiteris

PostSubject: Re: Resistance: Fall of Man review by me!   Resistance: Fall of Man review by me! EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 10:46 am

The textures on the chimera suck.But opverall good review.

Covenant > Chimera
Back to top Go down
ZeInFormer

PostSubject: Re: Resistance: Fall of Man review by me!   Resistance: Fall of Man review by me! EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 5:55 pm

HellJumper wrote:

Covenant > Chimera
For its time the textures were wonderful, but I do think they could've been a better more advanced, but it's really fine in general.
Back to top Go down
Arbiteris
Arbiteris

PostSubject: Re: Resistance: Fall of Man review by me!   Resistance: Fall of Man review by me! EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 8:23 pm

ZeInFormer wrote:
HellJumper wrote:

Covenant > Chimera
For its time the textures were wonderful, but I do think they could've been a better more advanced, but it's really fine in general.

What year did it come out?Halo 3 had better enemy textures than this.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Resistance: Fall of Man review by me!   Resistance: Fall of Man review by me! EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 8:32 pm

HellJumper wrote:
ZeInFormer wrote:
HellJumper wrote:

Covenant > Chimera

What year did it come out?Halo 3 had better enemy textures than this.

It was before Halo 3, 2006. But the enemy textures look better in game.

But good review, definetly my favorite PS3 game series, if not my all time favorites series!
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Stigma

PostSubject: Re: Resistance: Fall of Man review by me!   Resistance: Fall of Man review by me! EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 1:22 am

...I thought this game was a load of garbage. Perhaps it's one of those, you either hate it or love it games.

By off chance do you thing you could resize those pics so there's no horizontal scrolling?
Back to top Go down
ZeInFormer

PostSubject: Re: Resistance: Fall of Man review by me!   Resistance: Fall of Man review by me! EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 6:13 am

^I can't man, I'm so sorry. I totally want to reduce the size too. Yeah, I've noticed some people didn't like the game like JON CJG (maker of arby n the chief), but it's cool. I also happen to see quite a bit of Halo fans to like it since I remember saw a site where it's basically a halo site, but it was also Resistance affiliated too. Not only that, I got friends that came over and played the games and they adore the halo games and thought it was awesome too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Resistance: Fall of Man review by me!   Resistance: Fall of Man review by me! EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 12:41 pm

BlackStigma wrote:
...I thought this game was a load of garbage. Perhaps it's one of those, you either hate it or love it games.

By off chance do you thing you could resize those pics so there's no horizontal scrolling?

Thats what I have noticed, same with the second one. People either love it or hate it, there isn't really anyone who kinda likes it.
Back to top Go down
Invincible
Fleet Master Chief Petty Officer
Fleet Master Chief Petty Officer
Invincible

PostSubject: Re: Resistance: Fall of Man review by me!   Resistance: Fall of Man review by me! EmptySun Jul 04, 2010 12:16 pm

Still haven't played the first one yet. Resistance 2 was decent. Not one of my favorite shooters, but it did have some of the biggest boss battles I've ever seen.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Resistance: Fall of Man review by me!   Resistance: Fall of Man review by me! EmptySun Jul 04, 2010 2:35 pm

Invincible wrote:
Still haven't played the first one yet. Resistance 2 was decent. Not one of my favorite shooters, but it did have some of the biggest boss battles I've ever seen.

Going from the second to the first is hard to do, its totally different!
Back to top Go down
ZeInFormer

PostSubject: Re: Resistance: Fall of Man review by me!   Resistance: Fall of Man review by me! EmptySun Jul 04, 2010 7:06 pm

Invincible wrote:
I'll review the second one later on..oh boy.
Back to top Go down
DarkSwarm85
DarkSwarm85

PostSubject: Re: Resistance: Fall of Man review by me!   Resistance: Fall of Man review by me! EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 1:57 am

It's impossible to talk about a Sci Fi FPS without Halo being brought into the topic. confused
Back to top Go down
Arbiteris
Arbiteris

PostSubject: Re: Resistance: Fall of Man review by me!   Resistance: Fall of Man review by me! EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 10:45 am

DarkSwarm85 wrote:
It's impossible to talk about a Sci Fi FPS without Halo being brought into the topic. confused

Because Halo is THAT badass
Back to top Go down
ZeInFormer

PostSubject: Re: Resistance: Fall of Man review by me!   Resistance: Fall of Man review by me! EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 10:00 pm

DarkSwarm85 wrote:
Halo set the standards for FPS games so yeah it's kind of wrong to not talk about it. It's just like how FPS games were coming out back in the 90s and everyone would compare it to Doom or Wolfenstein.
Back to top Go down
Doominator99
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: Resistance: Fall of Man review by me!   Resistance: Fall of Man review by me! EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 5:27 am

everyone is nagging insomiac to make resistance 3 similar to fall of man so hopefully we will see another masterpiece and not generic style of resistance 2. cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Resistance: Fall of Man review by me!   Resistance: Fall of Man review by me! Empty

Back to top Go down

Resistance: Fall of Man review by me!
Page 1 of 1