This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics

Go down 
+6
DarkSwarm85
Crystie Cao
DemonWolf
Stigma
TRF
Blixtstorm
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Blixtstorm
Four Star General (Moderator)
Blixtstorm

Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics Empty
PostSubject: Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics   Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics EmptyThu Aug 26, 2010 1:51 pm

Almost always, the racing games have looked the best due to the simplicity of the genre.

Here is a walk-through off all games from the start of Video games... Before that they probably used things like 'Dinky toys'...

1970-1989

Gran Trak 10, 1974 (The gran-daddy)

Night Racer, 1977

Pole position, 1982

Chequered Flag, 1983

Enduro, 1983

Revs, 1984

Out run, 1986

Super Sprint, 1986

Final lap, 1987

Hard drivin', 1988

Chase H.Q. , 1988

Super Monaco GP, 1989

Ironman Stewarts Super Off Road, 1989

Last edited by Blixtstorm on Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:57 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Blixtstorm
Blixtstorm
Blixtstorm

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics   Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics EmptyThu Aug 26, 2010 1:51 pm

1990-1999 

Indianapolis 500. The Simulation, 1990

Formula One Grandprix (Worldcircuit in USA), 1992

Ridge racer, 1993

Super Mario Kart, 1993

Crusin' USA, 1994

Destruction Derby, 1995

Sega Super GT, 1996

Gran Turismo, 1997 (23 December)

Colin McRae Rally, 1998

Need for Speed III Hot Pursuit, 1998

Midtown Madness, 1999

Last edited by Blixtstorm on Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Blixtstorm
Blixtstorm

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics   Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics EmptyThu Aug 26, 2010 1:51 pm

2000-2009 

Midtown Madness 2, 2000

007 Racing, 2000

Metropolis Street Racer, 2000 "Project Gotham Racing -1"

Gran Turismo 3 A-spec, 2001

Project Gotham Racing, 2001

Rallisport Challenge, 2002

Burn-Out 2, 2002

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit II, 2002

Apex, 2003

Sega GT 2002, 2003

Need for Speed Underground, 2003

Project Gotham Racing 2, 2003

Rallisport Challenge 2, 2004

Gran Turismo 4, 2005

Forza Motorsport, 2005

Project Gotham Racing 3, 2005

Need for Speed Carbon, 2006

Test Drive Unlimited, 2006

Colin McRae Dirt, 2007

Forza Motorsport 2, 2007

Project Gotham Racing 4, 2007

Gran Turismo 5: Prologue, 2007 in Japan; 2008 rest of the World

Race Driver: GRID, 2008

Fuel, 2009

Need for Speed SHIFT, 2009

Colin McRae Dirt2, 2009

Forza Motorsport 3, 2009

Last edited by Blixtstorm on Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:42 am; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
Blixtstorm
Blixtstorm

2010-2019

Blur, 2010

Gran Tursimo 5, 2010

Kinect Joyride, 2010

Formula 1 2010, 2010

WRC 2010, 2010(Download only)

Dirt 3, 2010/2011

Driver San Francisco, 2010/2011

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, 2010/2011

Forza Kinect, 2011

More will be added.

Last edited by Blixtstorm on Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics   Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics EmptyThu Aug 26, 2010 2:57 pm

Holy crap, they have improved greatly. Nice list.
Back to top Go down
TRF
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
TRF

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics   Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics EmptyThu Aug 26, 2010 5:07 pm

Racing games always tend to have better graphics than most other genres. Has anyone else noticed that? Still, I don't expect anything to beat GT5 in console graphics for awhile. Right now it's probably the best-looking and most-detailed game on consoles, and possibly ever.

I myself prefer action-racers like Blur to sim-racers like Gran Turismo.
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Stigma

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics   Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics EmptyThu Aug 26, 2010 5:30 pm

TRF wrote:
Racing games always tend to have better graphics than most other genres. Has anyone else noticed that? Still, I don't expect anything to beat GT5 in console graphics for awhile. Right now it's probably the best-looking and most-detailed game on consoles, and possibly ever.

Yeah racing games always look better. However GT5 won't remain the best looking game after it comes out. We are really only a little past the halfway point of the consoles. Eventually a game will come out on the 360, PS3, or both, that will be visually superior to GT5. Whether it's in 2012 or 2013. There's also the possibility that GT5 graphics are just being hyped to shit and when the game comes out it will look really good, but not as great as the expectations.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics   Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics EmptyThu Aug 26, 2010 7:36 pm

TRF wrote:

Me too. But kart racers are still the best Razz
Back to top Go down
Blixtstorm
Blixtstorm

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics   Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics EmptyFri Aug 27, 2010 10:57 am

*Updated*
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics   Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics EmptyFri Aug 27, 2010 11:07 am

Shocking!! :O

Excellent work, can't believe you've done all this Smile Must've taken a long while.

It's amazing though. Btw does Forza Kinect look any better than Forza 3? scratch
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
Blixtstorm
Blixtstorm

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics   Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics EmptyFri Aug 27, 2010 11:55 am

DemonWolf wrote:
Shocking!! :O

Excellent work, can't believe you've done all this Smile Must've taken a long while.

It's amazing though. Btw does Forza Kinect look any better than Forza 3? scratch

Both yes and no.

You see, in Forza Kinect, there are two separate modes. The view mode and racing mode.

The racing mode has the same graphics as Forza 3, while as the "View mode" has better as you are standing still.
Back to top Go down
Crystie Cao
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Crystie Cao

Location : And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, Britain.

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics   Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics EmptyFri Aug 27, 2010 12:19 pm

Blixtstorm wrote:

Gran Tursimo 5, 2010

Kinect Joyride, 2010

Formula 1 2010, 2010

Hey joyride, looking a little... simple there?
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics   Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 7:14 pm

Lol I agree with Crystie. Joy ride looks like a fail there Razz
btw include Midnight Club!
Back to top Go down
DarkSwarm85
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer
DarkSwarm85

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics   Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 6:38 am

Mario Kart ftw!
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics   Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 3:15 pm

TRF wrote:

um, does GT5 have a camera feature in which you can take move around the track freely and take photos?
I bet that if it did and you went around with that camera you would see some horrible flaws. Racing games only look good when in motion, they rarely look that good when you slow down and go near textures. Gow Coo, Heavy Rain, uncharted 2, Alan Wake, Gears and even Fable have better graphics than GT5 imo.
Back to top Go down
TRF
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
TRF

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics   Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 2:56 am

DemonWolf wrote:
TRF wrote:

um, does GT5 have a camera feature in which you can take move around the track freely and take photos?
I bet that if it did and you went around with that camera you would see some horrible flaws. Racing games only look good when in motion, they rarely look that good when you slow down and go near textures. Gow Coo, Heavy Rain, uncharted 2, Alan Wake, Gears and even Fable have better graphics than GT5 imo.
Who the hell cares? You're driving at 150+ miles per hour. Why would Polyphony Digital work on little details that you're not even going to see?
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics   Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 6:47 am

TRF wrote:
DemonWolf wrote:
TRF wrote:

Who the hell cares? You're driving at 150+ miles per hour. Why would Polyphony Digital work on little details that you're not even going to see?

exactly. That's the point. They won't work on those tiny little details which every other genre does. The only thing that deserves credit in racing games are the cars themselves.

Back to top Go down
TRF
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
TRF

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics   Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 9:49 am

DemonWolf wrote:
TRF wrote:
DemonWolf wrote:
TRF wrote:

exactly. That's the point. They won't work on those tiny little details which every other genre does. The only thing that deserves credit in racing games are the cars themselves.

Every other genre works on those details because it's more noticeable. The lack of detail in the tracks and environments (which still look pretty good anyways) aren't going to affect the look of the game, since you're not going to notice them.
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics   Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 10:04 am

TRF wrote:
DemonWolf wrote:
TRF wrote:
DemonWolf wrote:
TRF wrote:

Every other genre works on those details because it's more noticeable. The lack of detail in the tracks and environments (which still look pretty good anyways) aren't going to affect the look of the game, since you're not going to notice them.

Of course. But you said it's one of the most detailed games ever on a console.
Which is untrue. Razz You've said it yourself:" the lack of detail in the tracks and environments"

honestly... tut tut, contradictions... Cool
Back to top Go down
TRF
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
TRF

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics   Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 3:04 pm

DemonWolf wrote:
TRF wrote:
DemonWolf wrote:
TRF wrote:
DemonWolf wrote:
TRF wrote:

Which is untrue. Razz You've said it yourself:" the lack of detail in the tracks and environments"

It is one of the most detailed games on the console, not in the environment, but in the car and character models. It's like complaining that Doom doesn't have a ceiling. You're not going to see the ceiling anyway, so what's the point of designing one? What's the point of making the track and environment ultra-detailed if you're not going to see it?
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics   Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 3:36 pm

TRF wrote:
DemonWolf wrote:
TRF wrote:
DemonWolf wrote:
TRF wrote:
DemonWolf wrote:
TRF wrote:

It is one of the most detailed games on the console, not in the environment, but in the car and character models. It's like complaining that Doom doesn't have a ceiling. You're not going to see the ceiling anyway, so what's the point of designing one? What's the point of making the track and environment ultra-detailed if you're not going to see it?

Doom doesn't have a ceiling?!?!?!

*takes it off top 10 best looking games of all time list*

lol the point is, if you're going to claim a game is the most detailed, it has to be detailed from all areas. Far away, zoomed in up close, in motion, still, etc

Which unfortunately, no game really has nailed. :/ (except Crysis of course)

But yeah.... racing games just can't be considered to have the best detail, maybe they can be seen as some of the best looking games or you could say the graphics are amazing, yeah but the detail? Naw.
Back to top Go down
Blixtstorm
Blixtstorm

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics   Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 4:01 pm

TBH none of you seem to know graphics in games...

Take for example Halo Reach, barely holding 720p at 30fps, barely.
It has lower textures and lower framerates then Forza 3. Forza 3 runs 720p at 60fps constantly with AA, compared to no AA in Halo.

Taking that in to consideration, slowly racing/cruising the roads instead of as you say at 150 mph reving the engine of a Ferrari is much more pleasing watching a man in combat suit breathing heavy while running with a blurry world.

As for racing games, they have always set the standards for game graphics. Take this generation for example, GT5 will be the first game from Sony running at 60fps and 1080p native.

Drawing the conclusion for racing game graphics based from the game engine from GTA IV (Midnight Club LA) does not give the it a fair point.

Racing is for men, boys play shooters. Wink
Back to top Go down
TRF
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
TRF

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics   Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 7:44 pm

DemonWolf wrote:
TRF wrote:
DemonWolf wrote:
TRF wrote:
DemonWolf wrote:
TRF wrote:
DemonWolf wrote:
TRF wrote:

Doom doesn't have a ceiling?!?!?!

*takes it off top 10 best looking games of all time list*

lol the point is, if you're going to claim a game is the most detailed, it has to be detailed from all areas. Far away, zoomed in up close, in motion, still, etc

Which unfortunately, no game really has nailed. :/ (except Crysis of course)

But yeah.... racing games just can't be considered to have the best detail, maybe they can be seen as some of the best looking games or you could say the graphics are amazing, yeah but the detail? Naw.
No, for a game to be the most detailed, it has to be detailed in the parts that matter. There's no reason to heavily detail the track.
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics   Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 6:33 am

Blixtstorm wrote:

It has lower textures and lower framerates then Forza 3. Forza 3 runs 720p at 60fps constantly with AA, compared to no AA in Halo.

Taking that in to consideration, slowly racing/cruising the roads instead of as you say at 150 mph reving the engine of a Ferrari is much more pleasing watching a man in combat suit breathing heavy while running with a blurry world.

As for racing games, they have always set the standards for game graphics. Take this generation for example, GT5 will be the first game from Sony running at 60fps and 1080p native.

Drawing the conclusion for racing game graphics based from the game engine from GTA IV (Midnight Club LA) does not give the it a fair point.

Actually, no...

boys play with cars when they're children.
usually only adults are in the possession of guns.
so men play shooters and boys play racing games.

Anyway, we're not discussing graphics. We're discussing detail. Wink
Back to top Go down
Blixtstorm
Blixtstorm

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics   Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 7:04 am

DemonWolf wrote:
Blixtstorm wrote:

Actually, no...

boys play with cars when they're children.
usually only adults are in the possession of guns.
so men play shooters and boys play racing games.

Anyway, we're not discussing graphics. We're discussing detail. Wink

Men buy cars, that is a fact. Only americans have the possession of guns.

If your statement is right, then why is Halo/COD filled with 12 year old boys screaming fuck you? And Forza 3 filled with 25 year old men? Do you have any clue why?

I have... Men like cars, because they know a nice car signals money = attracts women... well boys in your emo case Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics   Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics Empty

Back to top Go down

Evolution of Racing-Game Graphics
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Other Platforms :: Other Gaming (General Talk)-
Jump to: