This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now?

Go down 
+4
Invincible
TRF
ghost23
ZeInFormer
8 posters
AuthorMessage
ZeInFormer
Command Master Chief Petty Officer
Command Master Chief Petty Officer

Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now? Empty
PostSubject: Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now?   Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now? EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 3:35 am

They were fun to play on my GBA. I have Duke Nukem Advanced, Doom, and Doom 2 and I think they are amazing games and perfect examples of making a good fps for a hand-held. Now, the technology is more advanced-you'd think they would make it even more better.
Back to top Go down
ghost23
Four Star General (Moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now?   Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now? EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 4:13 am

I think its because the handheld market has changed a lot since those days. A lot of the people who played GBA have probably migrated to consoles and are playing games like Halo or Call of Duty.
A lot of the handheld games these days seem to be aimed at a more casual orientated demographic.
Back to top Go down
TRF
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
TRF

PostSubject: Re: Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now?   Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now? EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 12:49 pm

Handheld controls aren't that great for first-person shooters.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now?   Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now? EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 4:54 pm

You would probably have to get 2 analogue sticks on the hand-held to get it to appeal to FPS gamers, if at all.
Back to top Go down
Invincible
Fleet Master Chief Petty Officer
Invincible

PostSubject: Re: Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now?   Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now? EmptyTue Nov 16, 2010 11:43 pm

I'm amazed at how many RPGs are on handhelds. I like portable games that are easy to jump in and out of. RPGs require a lot of time and IMO are not best suited for handhelds.
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now?   Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now? EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 6:35 am

Well there are a few out there but yeah, they're rarely made these days.
You'll find loads of third person shooters though, strangely.

TPS on psp:
Resistance
Syphon Filter
Socom
Ghost Recon
GUN <--- its gotta count, it's epic!

FPS on psp:
Coded Arms
Medal Of Honor
Call Of Duty
Brothers In Arms
Ghost In The Shell
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
TRF
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
TRF

PostSubject: Re: Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now?   Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now? EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 7:46 am

Invincible wrote:
I'm amazed at how many RPGs are on handhelds. I like portable games that are easy to jump in and out of. RPGs require a lot of time and IMO are not best suited for handhelds.
RPGs are best on handhelds from what I've seen. Console RPGs, for the most part, haven't been great (JRPGs, at least). The handheld ones have pretty much all been great though.
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now?   Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now? EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 3:22 pm

TRF wrote:
Invincible wrote:
RPGs are best on handhelds from what I've seen. Console RPGs, for the most part, haven't been great (JRPGs, at least). The handheld ones have pretty much all been great though.

Not even Lost Odyssey, Oblivion, Dragon Age, Fable, etc?
Back to top Go down
Arbiteris
Arbiteris

PostSubject: Re: Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now?   Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now? EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 3:42 pm

PSP has a few good shooters such as Killzone and resistance(both have a PSP game).
Back to top Go down
Invincible
Invincible

PostSubject: Re: Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now?   Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now? EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 3:45 pm

TRF wrote:
Invincible wrote:

Yeah, I'm sure they're good games. But I don't like having to stare at a small screen for more then an hour.
Back to top Go down
TRF
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
TRF

PostSubject: Re: Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now?   Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now? EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 6:10 pm

DemonWolf wrote:
TRF wrote:
Invincible wrote:

Well, I meant JRPGs. WRPGs are best played on a PC. JRPGs are best played on a handheld. Yeah, you've got some good JRPGs on consoles like Lost Odyssey, Valkyria Chronicles, Final Fantasy XIII, Eternal Sonata, Tales of Vesperia, etc., but I find the handheld ones to be of much higher quality.
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now?   Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now? EmptyThu Nov 18, 2010 6:51 am

TRF wrote:
DemonWolf wrote:
TRF wrote:
Invincible wrote:

Well, I meant JRPGs. WRPGs are best played on a PC. JRPGs are best played on a handheld. Yeah, you've got some good JRPGs on consoles like Lost Odyssey, Valkyria Chronicles, Final Fantasy XIII, Eternal Sonata, Tales of Vesperia, etc., but I find the handheld ones to be of much higher quality.

Okay.
Btw check out this upcoming psp game, Shining Hearts:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/galleries/2010/09/10/shining_hearts_screens/
Back to top Go down
Pickles
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Pickles

PostSubject: Re: Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now?   Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now? EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 6:39 pm

TRF wrote:
DemonWolf wrote:
TRF wrote:
Invincible wrote:

Why? I haven't seen that many great RPG's on the Handhelds.

Also to OP:
Doom was fucking awesome on the GBA.

If I'm not mistaken, Dementium II just recently came out on the DS.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now?   Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now? EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 6:42 pm

Arbiteris wrote:
PSP has a few good shooters such as Killzone and resistance(both have a PSP game).

Don't kid, the Killzone PSP game was garbage.
Back to top Go down
theone.
Master Chief Petty Officer
theone.

PostSubject: Re: Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now?   Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now? EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 6:43 pm

TheJubJub5721 wrote:
Arbiteris wrote:

Just the Resistance PSP game.
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now?   Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now? EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 7:45 pm

TheJubJub5721 wrote:
Arbiteris wrote:

Actually it is pretty darn fun, different.. I mean it's isometric viewed but it was executed well, it was very tight. And multiplayer got hilarious.
Most critics said it was actually better than Killzone 1. And I quite liked KZ1 despite all the hate.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now?   Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now? EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 8:51 pm

DemonWolf wrote:
TheJubJub5721 wrote:
Arbiteris wrote:

Actually it is pretty darn fun, different.. I mean it's isometric viewed but it was executed well, it was very tight. And multiplayer got hilarious.
Most critics said it was actually better than Killzone 1. And I quite liked KZ1 despite all the hate.

I loved Killzone 1 Very Happy but I absolutely hated the PSP game. Boring as fuck. But I never tried the PSP
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now?   Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now? EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 8:55 pm

TheJubJub5721 wrote:
DemonWolf wrote:
TheJubJub5721 wrote:
Arbiteris wrote:

I loved Killzone 1 Very Happy but I absolutely hated the PSP game. Boring as fuck. But I never tried the PSP

I liked killzone 1 at first but got bored after a while.
But it had amazing atmosphere. It was like the most realistic war-simulation type game I'd played that gen. I think it appealed to me mainly because I was a nintendo gamer. I played on mario games for the most part and then I got a ps2 a lot later, I'd barely played fps games and so I really was impressed by KZ1.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now?   Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now? EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 8:57 pm

DemonWolf wrote:
TheJubJub5721 wrote:
DemonWolf wrote:
TheJubJub5721 wrote:
Arbiteris wrote:

I liked killzone 1 at first but got bored after a while.
But it had amazing atmosphere. It was like the most realistic war-simulation type game I'd played that gen. I think it appealed to me mainly because I was a nintendo gamer. I played on mario games for the most part and then I got a ps2 a lot later, I'd barely played fps games and so I really was impressed by KZ1.

Yeah, I wasn't big on shooters really at all that gen. Except for Battlefront! FTW!!!
Back to top Go down
theone.
theone.

PostSubject: Re: Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now?   Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now? EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 9:35 pm

There needs to be a Battlefront 3 really soon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now?   Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now? Empty

Back to top Go down

Why are FPSes are non-existent on hand-helds now?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Other Platforms :: Handhelds-
Jump to: