This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Guess what console had the best year according to IGN...

Go down 
+14
GeneralMLD
Pickles
7th
ghost23
NightFang91
Stigma
Alan1994
Arbiteris
daveMastaKill
Noelol
PureSexySound
igame
DemonWolf
Blackou7
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Blackou7
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class
Blackou7

Guess what console had the best year according to IGN... Empty
PostSubject: Guess what console had the best year according to IGN...   Guess what console had the best year according to IGN... EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 8:46 am

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/114/1141610p3.html

Yup, Xbox 360.

Edit: I linked page 3 because that's where it shows 360 wins. Pages 1 and 2 are worth reading.

Last edited by Blackou7 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
Four Star General (Moderator)
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: Guess what console had the best year according to IGN...   Guess what console had the best year according to IGN... EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 12:37 pm

Nice. I think you kind of have to admit it whoever you are, though.
People are dwelling too much on "mass effect doesn't count because it's going to ps3" and "fable isn't an exclusive!!!" when at the end of the day, xbox got the most games and the most quality games in this year.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
igame
Senior Chief Petty Officer
igame

PostSubject: Re: Guess what console had the best year according to IGN...   Guess what console had the best year according to IGN... EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 1:51 pm

it had a good year, but Nintendo had a better year IMO
Back to top Go down
PureSexySound
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class

PostSubject: Re: Guess what console had the best year according to IGN...   Guess what console had the best year according to IGN... EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 2:22 pm

..The Wii?
Back to top Go down
Noelol
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Noelol

PostSubject: Re: Guess what console had the best year according to IGN...   Guess what console had the best year according to IGN... EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 3:42 pm

PureSexySound wrote:
..The Wii?
That is what I was thinking too.
Back to top Go down
daveMastaKill
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
daveMastaKill

PostSubject: Re: Guess what console had the best year according to IGN...   Guess what console had the best year according to IGN... EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 3:52 pm

The Wii had some awesome exclusives this year but like always the lack of amazing third party games is a key factor.

A console that does not play games like Red Dead Redemption among a shitload of others could never be the a true winner by my standards.
Back to top Go down
Arbiteris
Arbiteris

PostSubject: Re: Guess what console had the best year according to IGN...   Guess what console had the best year according to IGN... EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 11:56 am

Wii has won this year by far, followed by Xbox.All three consoles did have their fair share of letdowns this year though
Back to top Go down
Alan1994
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Alan1994

PostSubject: Re: Guess what console had the best year according to IGN...   Guess what console had the best year according to IGN... EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 12:44 pm

Wait what?

Didn't Nintendo have the most exclusives this year?
Back to top Go down
Blackou7
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class
Blackou7

PostSubject: Re: Guess what console had the best year according to IGN...   Guess what console had the best year according to IGN... EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 10:52 pm

Why are people giving the Wii and all its shovelware props. The award goes to overall software. Wii misses out on all the good multiplats.

Besides, it won best exclusives anyway. Reading the article helps.
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Stigma

PostSubject: Re: Guess what console had the best year according to IGN...   Guess what console had the best year according to IGN... EmptySat Jan 01, 2011 2:41 am

360 won most diversity lol. WHAT NOW NIGHTFANG?
Back to top Go down
NightFang91
NightFang91

PostSubject: Re: Guess what console had the best year according to IGN...   Guess what console had the best year according to IGN... EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 1:02 am

BlackStigma wrote:
Wait, what?
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Stigma

PostSubject: Re: Guess what console had the best year according to IGN...   Guess what console had the best year according to IGN... EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 1:08 am

NightFang91 wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:
Wait, what?

Go to page 2.
Back to top Go down
NightFang91
NightFang91

PostSubject: Re: Guess what console had the best year according to IGN...   Guess what console had the best year according to IGN... EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 1:16 am

BlackStigma wrote:
NightFang91 wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:
Wait, what?

Go to page 2.
Yeah, but IGNs list doesn't concern me since only true exlusives matter to me.
Back to top Go down
ghost23

PostSubject: Re: Guess what console had the best year according to IGN...   Guess what console had the best year according to IGN... EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 5:10 am

NightFang91 wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:
NightFang91 wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:
Wait, what?

Go to page 2.

Yes but the 360 still has the most diverse line-up regardless of whether it can be played on PC.
From epic First Person Shooters, Sci-Fi RPG, Stealth-Action all the way to Psychological Action Thrillers, 360 had it all in 2010.
Back to top Go down
NightFang91
NightFang91

PostSubject: Re: Guess what console had the best year according to IGN...   Guess what console had the best year according to IGN... EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 8:53 am

ghost23 wrote:
NightFang91 wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:
NightFang91 wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:
Wait, what?

Go to page 2.

Yes but the 360 still has the most diverse line-up regardless of whether it can be played on PC.
From epic First Person Shooters, Sci-Fi RPG, Stealth-Action all the way to Psychological Action Thrillers, 360 had it all in 2010.
I don't see how it's any more diverse than the other platforms.
Back to top Go down
ghost23

PostSubject: Re: Guess what console had the best year according to IGN...   Guess what console had the best year according to IGN... EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 9:03 am

NightFang91 wrote:
ghost23 wrote:
NightFang91 wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:
NightFang91 wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:
Wait, what?

Go to page 2.

Did the PS3 have any stealth action games with gameplay even remotely similar to Splinter Cell Conviction?
Did PC have Psychological Action Thrillers like Alan Wake?
Did either the PC or PS3 have arcade games such as Limbo, Toy Soldiers, Monday Night Combat?
And for the casuals, did either the PC or PS3 have huge hits such as Kinect, Kinect Sports, Dance Central?
Back to top Go down
NightFang91
NightFang91

PostSubject: Re: Guess what console had the best year according to IGN...   Guess what console had the best year according to IGN... EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 9:13 am

ghost23 wrote:

Did the PS3 have any stealth action games with gameplay even remotely similar to Splinter Cell Conviction?
Did either the PC or PS3 have arcade games such as Limbo, Toy Soldiers, Monday Night Combat?
And for the casuals, did either the PC or PS3 have huge hits such as Kinect, Kinect Sports, Dance Central?
Did the 360 have a third person action game like GoW3?
Did the 360 have a psychological thriller adventure game like Heavy Rain?
Did the 360 have an Action-RPG like 3D Dot Game Heroes?

See? It works both ways...
Back to top Go down
7th
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class

PostSubject: Re: Guess what console had the best year according to IGN...   Guess what console had the best year according to IGN... EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 12:06 pm

ghost23 wrote:
NightFang91 wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:
NightFang91 wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:
Wait, what?

Go to page 2.

It's subjective at best since its based on their own review scores. they gave Trinity Universe, a PS3 exclusive, shitty scores, but yet I and several others on Diehardgamefan.com think it was a better JRPG than FFXIII by a wide margin. Hell I had more fun with 3D Dot Game Heroes than FFXIII and I haven't finished it yet.

When i look at which system had the best lineup for 2010, I think it's funny that when several sites posted their "best of 2010" for each system, the lists for Wii and PS3 were almost totally based on exclusives, then you look at the 360 list and most of it is multiplats.

Meanwhile, here comes Kinect, yet another "system seller" that was supposed to just blow the PS3 out of the water for the Christmas season, but worldwide the 360 only won by 200,000 units or so, all from the US, and so for 2010 all that work just put them back to the lead they had doing into 2009: 4.5 million units. So the lineup PS3 has for 2011, coupled with a likely price drop this year will possibly put them to within 2.5 million of passing the 360 by the end of the year. Based on the sales of Kinect Adventures, Microsoft reached their goal of 5 million Kinects sold, yet still only beat out the PS3 by 300,00 units in the US for Christmas season. So basically your system sales were saved for the year by modders and casuals. And judging by the fact that i don't see much coming out for Kinect OR Move that's all that appealing to casuals in 2011, they're gonna end up being even more of a fad than the Wii was. i talked to a friend who bought the 360 kinect bundle for their kid for Christmas, cause they figured they'd also be able to enjoy some FPS play and they wanted to get Shadow Complex and some other stuff, and I said "need to go buy a hard drive." And he said "I thought it already had one," and I said "Did you not look at the box and see the 4g? Thats four gigs of memory." He thought it meant the 360 did its online on a 4G cell network LMAO.

Whole bunch of people who bought that bundle not really knowing what they were buying. Cause both lineups for Move and Kinect were decidedly weak, but the Kinect was worse cause it didn't have anything to cater to the core. Most of the people I know who have Move are hardcores who bought it for RE5, Socom, etc. I got a Kinect to do reviews for DHGF and gave it to my kid as a Christmas present, and gave him the two games he asked for, an exercise game (your Shape) and Kinectimals. All he plays on it is Kinect Adventures, and he made it all the way to the final difficulty level by the 3rd day he had it. he played it online the other night with several people: all of them kids or entire families, and he mopped the floor with everyone he played against after playing it for 3 days. I downloaded all the demos for the other Kinect games available, and he hated all of them. Over the last two days he hasn't touched the thing. After getting to the final difficulty level on KA he shrugged and went back to playing the LBP 2 demo and hasn't touched the Xbox since then.

And it all makes me wonder really. Seeing how much was taken out of it by the time it hit the market, and how the 360 lineup for 2011 so far seems lacking both in hardcore games and Kinect casual titles, I have to wonder if it was just a gimmick to boost 2010 sales with the mindset of pulling another 2004 and announcing the next system for a 2012 release.

One off topic side note. Every time 8th plays online with someone on Kinect, there's a loud whiny noise coming from the other player's set up, including hearing 8th's audio repeated back to him. I thought the Kinect's "smart audio detection" was supposed to eliminate feedback from the TV speakers like that.
Back to top Go down
7th
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class

PostSubject: Re: Guess what console had the best year according to IGN...   Guess what console had the best year according to IGN... EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 12:49 pm

ghost23 wrote:
NightFang91 wrote:
ghost23 wrote:
NightFang91 wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:
NightFang91 wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:
Wait, what?

Go to page 2.

Splinter Cell Conviction: Admitted by the developers they were inspired by uncharted 2, hence the change in direction for the series that pissed off a shit ton of Splinter Cell diehards. We already had Uncharted 2 so big whoop, nevermind the fact there are still port rumors floating around. Canceled out by the 360 not having a 3rd person actionfest to compete with GOD of War III.

Alan Wake: A mash up of Silent Hill and a 3rd person action title that, due to lack of having a big sweaty space marine or tons of guns, big surprise, failed to connect with the 360 fanbase. Canceled out because they didn't have a psychological thriller interactive adventure title to compete with Heavy Rain.

Limbo, Toy Soldiers, Monday Night Combat: Beat Sketcher, Blue Toad Murder Files, Catan (not a port of the 360/pc version), Crescent Pale Mist, Dead Nation, Eat Them!, Funky Lab Rat (Move title), Groovin' Blocks (wiiware port), Hoard, Hustle Kings, Hyperballoid HD (fun Arkanoid clone), Joe Danger, Kick-Ass (which got bad reviews but is actually a fun stripped down isometric arcade beat 'em up,) Landit Bandit (fun fucked up Pilotwings meets puzzler kinda game) Pixel Junk Racers 2nd Lap, Planet Mini Golf, Sakboy's Prehistoric Moves, Sam & Max (PC Port dontcha know) Sky fighter (not my cup of tea but the demo was fun) Super Stacker, Swords and Soldiers (upgraded Wiiware game, aslo on Windows and Mac) Wake Boarding HD, Anarchy: Rush Hour, Tumble, Kung Fu Live, Echochrome 2, etc etc etc, not to mention all the multiplat games, including big name titles that USED to be exclusive to XBLA.

Meanwhile, Gran Turismo 5 in 3 weeks sold almost half as many copies as GT 4 has since its release. XD

Just love these threads, LOL
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Stigma

PostSubject: Re: Guess what console had the best year according to IGN...   Guess what console had the best year according to IGN... EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 5:01 pm

Funny how so many of the PSN games 7th listed score in the 50's and 60's on Metacritic.

Funny the GT5 sold almost half the copies of GT4 its lifetime considering that GT4 has GT5 beat in sales on a weekly basis.

Edit: Also funny how misleading 7th is being with his SC:C statement.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=241975

Quote :
"It's safe to say that we drew inspiration from a lot of different sources - both in games and out of games," Redding explained.

2nd Edit: Psychological Action Thriller, Psychological Thriller Adventure ?

Fable III is an action RPG.
Back to top Go down
ghost23

PostSubject: Re: Guess what console had the best year according to IGN...   Guess what console had the best year according to IGN... EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 7:07 pm

7th wrote:

Meanwhile, here comes Kinect, yet another "system seller" that was supposed to just blow the PS3 out of the water for the Christmas season, but worldwide the 360 only won by 200,000 units or so, all from the US, and so for 2010 all that work just put them back to the lead they had doing into 2009: 4.5 million units. So the lineup PS3 has for 2011, coupled with a likely price drop this year will possibly put them to within 2.5 million of passing the 360 by the end of the year. Based on the sales of Kinect Adventures, Microsoft reached their goal of 5 million Kinects sold, yet still only beat out the PS3 by 300,00 units in the US for Christmas season. So basically your system sales were saved for the year by modders and casuals. And judging by the fact that i don't see much coming out for Kinect OR Move that's all that appealing to casuals in 2011, they're gonna end up being even more of a fad than the Wii was. i talked to a friend who bought the 360 kinect bundle for their kid for Christmas, cause they figured they'd also be able to enjoy some FPS play and they wanted to get Shadow Complex and some other stuff, and I said "need to go buy a hard drive." And he said "I thought it already had one," and I said "Did you not look at the box and see the 4g? Thats four gigs of memory." He thought it meant the 360 did its online on a 4G cell network LMAO.

Whole bunch of people who bought that bundle not really knowing what they were buying. Cause both lineups for Move and Kinect were decidedly weak, but the Kinect was worse cause it didn't have anything to cater to the core. Most of the people I know who have Move are hardcores who bought it for RE5, Socom, etc. I got a Kinect to do reviews for DHGF and gave it to my kid as a Christmas present, and gave him the two games he asked for, an exercise game (your Shape) and Kinectimals. All he plays on it is Kinect Adventures, and he made it all the way to the final difficulty level by the 3rd day he had it. he played it online the other night with several people: all of them kids or entire families, and he mopped the floor with everyone he played against after playing it for 3 days. I downloaded all the demos for the other Kinect games available, and he hated all of them. Over the last two days he hasn't touched the thing. After getting to the final difficulty level on KA he shrugged and went back to playing the LBP 2 demo and hasn't touched the Xbox since then.

And it all makes me wonder really. Seeing how much was taken out of it by the time it hit the market, and how the 360 lineup for 2011 so far seems lacking both in hardcore games and Kinect casual titles, I have to wonder if it was just a gimmick to boost 2010 sales with the mindset of pulling another 2004 and announcing the next system for a 2012 release.

One off topic side note. Every time 8th plays online with someone on Kinect, there's a loud whiny noise coming from the other player's set up, including hearing 8th's audio repeated back to him. I thought the Kinect's "smart audio detection" was supposed to eliminate feedback from the TV speakers like that.

I agree with you that the PS3 has a lot of potential in 2011, buit I can't really debate something that hasn't happened yet so we'll just have to wait and see how it unfolds.

You see the majority of the XBOX 360 core audience are the Call of Duty/Halo/Gears of War players. They are not interested in motion controls. Period. There is absolutely no demand there in that sector of the market so why try catering for a market where there is no demand? If you go and make Halo 4 Kinect, people may try it once, but ultimately they don't care because those games are designed for controllers and controllers will always be the better option. I guarantee you that the most of your hardcore friends who have Move will try Killzone 3 once or twice with the Move but ultimately they will fall back to the Dualshock because that is the way to play the game. But Kinect also has the potential for these hybrid games that people are talking about and this could very well catch on to the core audience. So yeah I disagree with you saying that Kinect had the weaker lineup, they had great games (whether you agree or not, but Dance Central, Kinect Sports) that cater for a specific audience and didn't try to make games for an audience that ultimately doesn't care.

And on a side note, it clearly says on the instructions of Kinect not to put it on top of a speaker, no matter how advanced the tech is, it can't noise cancel if people put it centimeters away from the sound source.
Back to top Go down
7th
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class

PostSubject: Re: Guess what console had the best year according to IGN...   Guess what console had the best year according to IGN... EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 11:47 pm

BlackStigma wrote:
Funny how so many of the PSN games 7th listed score in the 50's and 60's on Metacritic.

Funny the GT5 sold almost half the copies of GT4 its lifetime considering that GT4 has GT5 beat in sales on a weekly basis.

Edit: Also funny how misleading 7th is being with his SC:C statement.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=241975

Quote :
"It's safe to say that we drew inspiration from a lot of different sources - both in games and out of games," Redding explained.

2nd Edit: Psychological Action Thriller, Psychological Thriller Adventure ?

Fable III is an action RPG.

Okay, allow me to quote from that same article:

"Obviously we took a good, heavy look at the way Uncharted works too."

And as for GT4 vs GT5, with PS3 having a smaller userbase, I present to you the "Orly?" moment of the week:

Week 1: 2,523,055
Week 2: 1,000,378
Week 3: 510,176
Week 4: 326,608
Week 5: 231,662
Week 6: 178,044
Week 7: 137,261
Week 8: 120,989
Week 9: 102,768
Week 10: 92,089
Ten week total: 5,223,030

Gran Turismo 5:

Week 1: 2,191,588
Week 2: 729,245
Week 3: 617, 341
Week 4: 573,729
Week 5: 509,602
Five week total: 4,621,505

End result, not only were you wrong about GT4 consistently outselling GT5 week by week, but in just 5 weeks GT5 is within 601,525 copies of surpassing GT4's ten week total. And these numbers don't include Christmas week.

Game. Set. Match.

Back to top Go down
Stigma
Stigma

PostSubject: Re: Guess what console had the best year according to IGN...   Guess what console had the best year according to IGN... EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 12:10 am

Quote :
"Obviously we took a good, heavy look at the way Uncharted works too."
Rolling Eyes You're an idiot.

Eh I only looked at the first 3 weeks cause you said GT5 sold half of GT4 did in it's lifetime in three weeks. But what is hilarious is you said lifetime

Cause obviously 3,538,174 is almost half of 10,434,409 right? Sales drop exponentially every week btw. So it can't be "Game Set Match" if you break away from your original statement.
Back to top Go down
Pickles
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Pickles

PostSubject: Re: Guess what console had the best year according to IGN...   Guess what console had the best year according to IGN... EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 12:57 am

7th wrote:
ghost23 wrote:
NightFang91 wrote:
ghost23 wrote:
NightFang91 wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:
NightFang91 wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:
Wait, what?

Go to page 2.

Splinter Cell Conviction: Admitted by the developers they were inspired by uncharted 2, hence the change in direction for the series that pissed off a shit ton of Splinter Cell diehards. We already had Uncharted 2 so big whoop, nevermind the fact there are still port rumors floating around. Canceled out by the 360 not having a 3rd person actionfest to compete with GOD of War III.

Alan Wake: A mash up of Silent Hill and a 3rd person action title that, due to lack of having a big sweaty space marine or tons of guns, big surprise, failed to connect with the 360 fanbase. Canceled out because they didn't have a psychological thriller interactive adventure title to compete with Heavy Rain.

Limbo, Toy Soldiers, Monday Night Combat: Beat Sketcher, Blue Toad Murder Files, Catan (not a port of the 360/pc version), Crescent Pale Mist, Dead Nation, Eat Them!, Funky Lab Rat (Move title), Groovin' Blocks (wiiware port), Hoard, Hustle Kings, Hyperballoid HD (fun Arkanoid clone), Joe Danger, Kick-Ass (which got bad reviews but is actually a fun stripped down isometric arcade beat 'em up,) Landit Bandit (fun fucked up Pilotwings meets puzzler kinda game) Pixel Junk Racers 2nd Lap, Planet Mini Golf, Sakboy's Prehistoric Moves, Sam & Max (PC Port dontcha know) Sky fighter (not my cup of tea but the demo was fun) Super Stacker, Swords and Soldiers (upgraded Wiiware game, aslo on Windows and Mac) Wake Boarding HD, Anarchy: Rush Hour, Tumble, Kung Fu Live, Echochrome 2, etc etc etc, not to mention all the multiplat games, including big name titles that USED to be exclusive to XBLA.

Meanwhile, Gran Turismo 5 in 3 weeks sold almost half as many copies as GT 4 has since its release. XD

Just love these threads, LOL

Guess what console had the best year according to IGN... Faggottree

Didn't Alan Wake sell 200,000 short of a million?

Also what's with your third wall of text?
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Stigma

PostSubject: Re: Guess what console had the best year according to IGN...   Guess what console had the best year according to IGN... EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 1:14 am

Alan Wake is short 140,000 of a million, it'll pass a million soon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Guess what console had the best year according to IGN...   Guess what console had the best year according to IGN... Empty

Back to top Go down

Guess what console had the best year according to IGN...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General Xbox360 Discussion :: 360 vs PS3-
Jump to: