This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Addictive games = Good?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Pickles
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Pickles

Addictive games = Good? Empty
PostSubject: Addictive games = Good?   Addictive games = Good? EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 1:38 am

I've always been hearing that if a game is really addictive then it must be worth my money.

Meth is addictive. That shit is bad for you. A certain game is addictive?

Holy shit pre-order that shit now!

There's a problem with that. People have died doing Meth. People have died playing World Of Warcraft.

However, if a person dies from an overdose, it's clearly the fault of a some sort of drug outbreak or the drug itself.

If someone dies from playing World Of Warcraft, that person had a serious problem.

Why is that? Don't tell me it's up to the player to make sure he doesn't overdo it.

Some games are DESIGNED to get you addicted.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18461_5-creepy-ways-video-games-are-trying-to-get-you-addicted.html

Yeah, I know I already posted that but this time it's for a different reason.

When I first played Maple Story, an mmorpg, I couldn't stop playing for hours. There's even a warning in the game encouraging you to take a break after 2 hours.

You know what you do in the game? Stand right next to a monster and hold down the ctrl key while occasionally healing yourself.

So what do you think?

Are addictive games good or bad?

Why? Why not?
Back to top Go down
solidstudios
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class
solidstudios

PostSubject: Re: Addictive games = Good?   Addictive games = Good? EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 2:34 am

they can be good. people just need to know when to stop i guess. but thats easier said than done. i think maybe if your going through alot of stress, you can play it for awhile and relieve yourself
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Four Star General (Moderator)
Four Star General (Moderator)
Stigma

PostSubject: Re: Addictive games = Good?   Addictive games = Good? EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 3:04 am

Better than games that only last 4-8 hours.

They can really screw up your sleep schedule though. When I first got Persona 3 FES, Demon's Souls, and Fallout New Vegas I went to bed at 5 in the morning and woke up at around 1 or 2 for days.
Back to top Go down
Pickles
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Pickles

PostSubject: Re: Addictive games = Good?   Addictive games = Good? EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 2:04 am

BlackStigma wrote:

They can really screw up your sleep schedule though. When I first got Persona 3 FES, Demon's Souls, and Fallout New Vegas I went to bed at 5 in the morning and woke up at around 1 or 2 for days.

Not really.

Addictive games make you keep playing even when it's not fun.

Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class

PostSubject: Re: Addictive games = Good?   Addictive games = Good? EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 3:08 pm

Pickles wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:

Not really.

Generalization. No game MAKES you keep playing.

The structure of the games in question use a working formula: people like to see their effort paid off. That's what "addictive" video games do. There's sentimental value to the characters/accounts you build and you start caring about it. There's nothing wrong with it. Are the games designed to keep you playing? Yeah, but why wouldn't a developer want that? Developers are moving towards progression-oriented multiplayer because it works. People want that new weapon or prestige symbol in CoD. People want that new item in WoW. It keeps people interested in the game longer because the goal has a bigger obstacle in front of it.

You mention that the games stop being fun. That's bad game design then. No one goes and blames CoD's leveling process because you're having fun while you level. You have to seamlessly integrate fun into progression, otherwise it's a grind. My motto for games like this is simple: if you're not having fun, stop playing it. After all, isn't that why you're playing games?

No such thing as addictive games. Gaming isn't an addiction; you just have an addictive personality. People who watch a lot of movies aren't addicted to movies, now are they? Or music? No one goes and blames those mediums. Gaming is a hobby like any other hobby.

People who play video games 24/7 have a much deeper problem than pseudo-addiction.
Back to top Go down
cigar
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class
cigar

PostSubject: Re: Addictive games = Good?   Addictive games = Good? EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 4:02 pm

Ihsahn wrote:
Pickles wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:

Not really.

No such thing as addictive games. Gaming isn't an addiction; you just have an addictive personality. People who watch a lot of movies aren't addicted to movies, now are they? Or music? No one goes and blames those mediums. Gaming is a hobby like any other hobby.

People who play video games 24/7 have a much deeper problem than pseudo-addiction.

Yup, that's about right. There's plenty of Howard Hughes-types who lock themselves in their rooms pissing in bottles so that they don't miss a second of their 72 hour WoW marathons, but that isn't Blizzard's fault, it's Johnny McPiss's fault for being an unbalanced motherfucker. Hell, I played MW2 for 2 months and I raged during almost every second of it, but I wouldn't consider it an addiction. It might be some kind of perfectionist complex that gamers have nowadays (I've been 100%ing games for almost 2 decades), so devs can put in whatever bullshit achievements or challenges they want because they know that there's plenty of gamers who just can't leave things as they are and have to satiate that little voice in the back of their head that says "push 500 NPCs into the girls bathroom to get 10 Gamerscore".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Addictive games = Good?   Addictive games = Good? Empty

Back to top Go down

Addictive games = Good?
Page 1 of 1