This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Of Mods and Men... And Trolls

Go down 
AuthorMessage
343_Guilty_Spark
Four Star General (Moderator)
343_Guilty_Spark

Of Mods and Men... And Trolls Empty
PostSubject: Of Mods and Men... And Trolls   Of Mods and Men... And Trolls EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 7:46 am

I was asked recently, "do you think its a good idea for the mods to put thier name in the section where it says reason for ban?"

The following is my response and I think it's worth reading if your interested in being a mod or already are. I've only been a moderator here so I speak only from my experience in the Xbox Republic.

Quote :

There are two legitimate reasons for banning.

1. Obvious Troll is Obvious

2. Stealthy Troll is Stealthy

The first one is easy and we don't need to log the hundreds of banned trolls or give reasons.

The second one is tricky, becuase some stealth trolls are almost as obvious as obvious trolls. We don't need to log these either. They still should at least get a warning or a temp ban before resorting to a permanent ban if they continue breaking the rules.

There is another reason of banning that I try my best to avoid and that's what I call:

0. Troll is NOT a Troll

This is the guy that's arguing with me, pissing me off, and I think he must be a troll. He even defended the PS3 or one of it's games. And then went and brought up the RROD or $50 online. Yeah he must be troll.

But he's not a troll. In fact his honesty keeps this forum more interesting. It's easy to jump to conclusions or let moderator power get the best of you. As a mod I have to keep my emotions separate from my duty. If I suspect someone of being a troll who's giving me a hard time I'll consult another mod and live with his decision. If it ends in a banning I have nothing against it being reported for everyone to see with explanation, but if done right modes shouldn't have to constantly defend their decisions.

You see, it's not easy being a mod, but this place is worth it. It's the only safe heaven we have. It's a PS3 fantard free zone for Xbox 360 fans to enjoy and a base of operations. The console war is out there on the interwebs and it's our job to clean up when it lands on our doorstep uninvited.

I hope that helps to understand the difficult of moderating a forum constantly attacked from all sides in the middle of a war. The enemy is at the gate. But there are allies at the gate as well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bungie.net
Lt Xplosi
Lt Xplosi

PostSubject: Re: Of Mods and Men... And Trolls   Of Mods and Men... And Trolls EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 10:51 am

....you know your stuff mate
respect to you
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: Of Mods and Men... And Trolls   Of Mods and Men... And Trolls EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 7:11 pm

I fully agree with all of that and when I was a mod I saw most of that as my duty. Razz
At first, when I started I was quick to ban people but more recently I noticed that some people who were in fact not stealth trolls but actually neutral were getting banned and so became more tolerant and allowed them to stay on the forum so long as they didn't persistantly defend ps3 or attack 360.

I hope Generalmld will "promote" me to mod again eventually xD
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
Lt Xplosi
Lt Xplosi

PostSubject: Re: Of Mods and Men... And Trolls   Of Mods and Men... And Trolls EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 5:43 am

demondragondude wrote:
I fully agree with all of that and when I was a mod I saw most of that as my duty. Razz
At first, when I started I was quick to ban people but more recently I noticed that some people who were in fact not stealth trolls but actually neutral were getting banned and so became more tolerant and allowed them to stay on the forum so long as they didn't persistantly defend ps3 or attack 360.

of course you will be a mod again you are one of the best mate Very Happy:D
Back to top Go down
Master_Chief
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Master_Chief

PostSubject: Re: Of Mods and Men... And Trolls   Of Mods and Men... And Trolls EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 5:49 am

343_Guilty_Spark wrote:
I was asked recently, "do you think its a good idea for the mods to put thier name in the section where it says reason for ban?"

The following is my response and I think it's worth reading if your interested in being a mod or already are. I've only been a moderator here so I speak only from my experience in the Xbox Republic.

Quote :

There are two legitimate reasons for banning.

1. Obvious Troll is Obvious

2. Stealthy Troll is Stealthy

The first one is easy and we don't need to log the hundreds of banned trolls or give reasons.

The second one is tricky, becuase some stealth trolls are almost as obvious as obvious trolls. We don't need to log these either. They still should at least get a warning or a temp ban before resorting to a permanent ban if they continue breaking the rules.

There is another reason of banning that I try my best to avoid and that's what I call:

0. Troll is NOT a Troll

This is the guy that's arguing with me, pissing me off, and I think he must be a troll. He even defended the PS3 or one of it's games. And then went and brought up the RROD or $50 online. Yeah he must be troll.

But he's not a troll. In fact his honesty keeps this forum more interesting. It's easy to jump to conclusions or let moderator power get the best of you. As a mod I have to keep my emotions separate from my duty. If I suspect someone of being a troll who's giving me a hard time I'll consult another mod and live with his decision. If it ends in a banning I have nothing against it being reported for everyone to see with explanation, but if done right modes shouldn't have to constantly defend their decisions.

You see, it's not easy being a mod, but this place is worth it. It's the only safe heaven we have. It's a PS3 fantard free zone for Xbox 360 fans to enjoy and a base of operations. The console war is out there on the interwebs and it's our job to clean up when it lands on our doorstep uninvited.

I hope that helps to understand the difficult of moderating a forum constantly attacked from all sides in the middle of a war. The enemy is at the gate. But there are allies at the gate as well.
QFT Well said.
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: Of Mods and Men... And Trolls   Of Mods and Men... And Trolls EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 5:51 pm

Lt Xplosi wrote:
demondragondude wrote:

of course you will be a mod again you are one of the best mate Very Happy:D

haha xD cheers. I sure hope so.
Back to top Go down
DarkSwarm85
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer
DarkSwarm85

PostSubject: Re: Of Mods and Men... And Trolls   Of Mods and Men... And Trolls EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 6:42 pm

Kind of sucks that Lennie died at the end.

Sad face. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Stoney

PostSubject: Re: Of Mods and Men... And Trolls   Of Mods and Men... And Trolls EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 8:16 pm

DarkSwarm85 wrote:

I know! All he wanted to do was tend the rabbits. albino
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: Of Mods and Men... And Trolls   Of Mods and Men... And Trolls EmptyFri Feb 05, 2010 7:25 pm

xSTONEYx187x wrote:
DarkSwarm85 wrote:

I know! All he wanted to do was tend the rabbits. albino

yeah....he liked beans with ketchup too. lol!
Back to top Go down
joe11
Ensign
Ensign
joe11

PostSubject: Re: Of Mods and Men... And Trolls   Of Mods and Men... And Trolls EmptyFri Feb 05, 2010 7:28 pm

GOOD POST
Back to top Go down
joe11
Ensign
Ensign
joe11

PostSubject: Re: Of Mods and Men... And Trolls   Of Mods and Men... And Trolls EmptyFri Feb 05, 2010 7:28 pm

WAIT WASN'T THAT POST FROM SHOTGUN
Back to top Go down
Captain Emp
Fleet Master Chief Petty Officer
Captain Emp

PostSubject: Re: Of Mods and Men... And Trolls   Of Mods and Men... And Trolls EmptySat Feb 06, 2010 10:06 am

I like Crooks!!!!!!

He was the coolest character in the whole book
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: Of Mods and Men... And Trolls   Of Mods and Men... And Trolls EmptySun Feb 07, 2010 1:46 pm

DiehardJaguarFan wrote:
I like Crooks!!!!!!

not really.... he just kept going on for ages about how he's black. I'm not racist but he didn't talk about anything else.

Back to top Go down
Captain Emp
Captain Emp

PostSubject: Re: Of Mods and Men... And Trolls   Of Mods and Men... And Trolls EmptySun Feb 14, 2010 12:52 pm

demondragondude wrote:
DiehardJaguarFan wrote:
I like Crooks!!!!!!

not really.... he just kept going on for ages about how he's black. I'm not racist but he didn't talk about anything else.

he was heavily discriminated against though ^_^ I love you I love you
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Of Mods and Men... And Trolls   Of Mods and Men... And Trolls Empty

Back to top Go down

Of Mods and Men... And Trolls
Page 1 of 1