This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Gears of War 2 maxed out 360?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Jamin
Command Master Chief Petty Officer
Command Master Chief Petty Officer
Jamin

Gears of War 2 maxed out 360? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gears of War 2 maxed out 360?   Gears of War 2 maxed out 360? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 31, 2010 3:11 am

Master_Chief wrote:
Jamin wrote:
AH! Ok, then yeah, those screenshots are real. I remember now. The developers found some new and efficient way to do anti-aliasing on the PS3 using the Cell Processor. From what they've said, the Xbox360 version looks that way because it doesnt have anti-aliasing.
LMAO You do realise that the 360 is capable of 4xAA right?
Yeah, I know. I said that the devs said that the 360 version looks that way because it doesnt have AA. THE GAME is they meant, not the console.
Back to top Go down
Master_Chief
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Master_Chief

PostSubject: Re: Gears of War 2 maxed out 360?   Gears of War 2 maxed out 360? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 31, 2010 3:13 am

Jamin wrote:
Master_Chief wrote:
Jamin wrote:
AH! Ok, then yeah, those screenshots are real. I remember now. The developers found some new and efficient way to do anti-aliasing on the PS3 using the Cell Processor. From what they've said, the Xbox360 version looks that way because it doesnt have anti-aliasing.
LMAO You do realise that the 360 is capable of 4xAA right?
Yeah, I know. I said that the devs said that the 360 version looks that way because it doesnt have AA. THE GAME is they meant, not the console.
I realised thats what you were saying after I read it again and deleted my comment but you quoted me too fast. lol
Back to top Go down
343_Guilty_Spark
Four Star General (Moderator)
Four Star General (Moderator)
343_Guilty_Spark

PostSubject: Re: Gears of War 2 maxed out 360?   Gears of War 2 maxed out 360? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 31, 2010 4:10 am

igame wrote:
Master_Chief wrote:
igame wrote:
Blixtstorm wrote:
ImpureKing wrote:
1 - The PS3 has more powerful hardware. Im a 360 fan too, but dont kids yourself. The 360's is just easier to use, as it is more similar to PC architecture.

2 - No, I dont think GoW2 came CLOSE to maxing it out. Look at ME2, MW2, or other titles like that. There is always room for improvement.

3 - I wonder if GoW3 will have a new graphical uplift.

To be honest, the PS3 graphical output is lesser then the 360. This is due to the small chip next to the main graphical chip on the 360. The small chip enhances AA or anti-aliasing, that means smoothing out jagged edges. The shader pipelines in the graphic chip in the 360 are unified, unlike the dedicated in the RSX in the PS3, the also gives the 360 a major boost in shader processing.

But, the Cell Processor can use one of its 7 "cores" as a graphic help. This is the very tricky to design for on the PS3, since you need to separate the graphical output to two different processing units, the Cell and Reality Synthesiser. But if coded correctly it will give it a boost in graphics, but not to out do the 360's.

The only real thing the PS3 have over the 360 is the Cell and Blu-ray.... Nothing else.

Gears of War 2 maxed out 360? - Page 2 Saboteur_Aliasing_001.jpg

looks like the small chip aint doing its job
LMAO And what is that you think that proves exactly?

you siad that "The small chip enhances AA or anti-aliasing, that means smoothing out jagged edges"
i really dont see that happening in this picture.

In that screen shot comparison, you can see that the textures in the PS3 version are noticeably blurry. So while the Xbox 360 version of the game doesn't use as much AA it doesn't suffer from blurred textures like the PS3.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bungie.net
igame
Senior Chief Petty Officer
igame

PostSubject: Re: Gears of War 2 maxed out 360?   Gears of War 2 maxed out 360? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 31, 2010 5:48 pm

343_Guilty_Spark wrote:
igame wrote:
Master_Chief wrote:
igame wrote:
Blixtstorm wrote:
ImpureKing wrote:
1 - The PS3 has more powerful hardware. Im a 360 fan too, but dont kids yourself. The 360's is just easier to use, as it is more similar to PC architecture.

2 - No, I dont think GoW2 came CLOSE to maxing it out. Look at ME2, MW2, or other titles like that. There is always room for improvement.

To be honest, the PS3 graphical output is lesser then the 360. This is due to the small chip next to the main graphical chip on the 360. The small chip enhances AA or anti-aliasing, that means smoothing out jagged edges. The shader pipelines in the graphic chip in the 360 are unified, unlike the dedicated in the RSX in the PS3, the also gives the 360 a major boost in shader processing.

But, the Cell Processor can use one of its 7 "cores" as a graphic help. This is the very tricky to design for on the PS3, since you need to separate the graphical output to two different processing units, the Cell and Reality Synthesiser. But if coded correctly it will give it a boost in graphics, but not to out do the 360's.

The only real thing the PS3 have over the 360 is the Cell and Blu-ray.... Nothing else.

you siad that "The small chip enhances AA or anti-aliasing, that means smoothing out jagged edges"

In that screen shot comparison, you can see that the textures in the PS3 version are noticeably blurry. So while the Xbox 360 version of the game doesn't use as much AA it doesn't suffer from blurred textures like the PS3.

"The PS3 rendition of Pandemic's The Saboteur is different though. It's special. It's trying something new that's never been seen before on console, or indeed PC, and its results are terrific. In a best-case scenario you get edge-smoothing that is beyond the effect of 16x multi-sampling anti-aliasing, effectively delivering an effect better than the capabilities of high-end GPUs without crippling performance. Compare and contrast with Xbox 360 hardware, which tops out at 4x MSAA"

i cant really complain about the ps3 version if it had edge-smoothing that is beyond the effect of 16x MSAA, but your rarely see 3rd party games take advantage of the ps3 so the 360 version of most 3rd party games look better, a big example is Bayonetta, that game is total shit compared to the 360 version.
Back to top Go down
day walker
Fleet Master Chief Petty Officer
day walker

PostSubject: Re: Gears of War 2 maxed out 360?   Gears of War 2 maxed out 360? - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 1:16 am

igame wrote:
343_Guilty_Spark wrote:
igame wrote:
Master_Chief wrote:
igame wrote:
Blixtstorm wrote:
ImpureKing wrote:

"The PS3 rendition of Pandemic's The Saboteur is different though. It's special. It's trying something new that's never been seen before on console, or indeed PC, and its results are terrific. In a best-case scenario you get edge-smoothing that is beyond the effect of 16x multi-sampling anti-aliasing, effectively delivering an effect better than the capabilities of high-end GPUs without crippling performance. Compare and contrast with Xbox 360 hardware, which tops out at 4x MSAA"

i cant really complain about the ps3 version if it had edge-smoothing that is beyond the effect of 16x MSAA, but your rarely see 3rd party games take advantage of the ps3 so the 360 version of most 3rd party games look better, a big example is Bayonetta, that game is total shit compared to the 360 version.
you sir remind me of the bus bus guy on gamespots system wars.
Back to top Go down
jaykay
jaykay

PostSubject: Re: Gears of War 2 maxed out 360?   Gears of War 2 maxed out 360? - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 1:22 am

I think this new anti-aliasing technique on the PS3 was also used for God of War 3.
Back to top Go down
igame
igame

PostSubject: Re: Gears of War 2 maxed out 360?   Gears of War 2 maxed out 360? - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 2:00 am

day walker wrote:
igame wrote:
343_Guilty_Spark wrote:
igame wrote:
Master_Chief wrote:
igame wrote:
Blixtstorm wrote:
ImpureKing wrote:

oh whos that guy and why do i remind you of him?
Back to top Go down
day walker
day walker

PostSubject: Re: Gears of War 2 maxed out 360?   Gears of War 2 maxed out 360? - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 3:27 am

igame wrote:
day walker wrote:
igame wrote:
343_Guilty_Spark wrote:
igame wrote:
Master_Chief wrote:
igame wrote:
Blixtstorm wrote:
ImpureKing wrote:

oh whos that guy and why do i remind you of him?
well you seem to know alot about the technology and how it works, so does he, so yeah thats how you remind me of him.
Back to top Go down
arnt god of war
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
arnt god of war

PostSubject: Re: Gears of War 2 maxed out 360?   Gears of War 2 maxed out 360? - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 4:25 am

*cough* graphics whores*cough* crysis 2 will prolly look way more amazing than any console game this gen
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gears of War 2 maxed out 360?   Gears of War 2 maxed out 360? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Gears of War 2 maxed out 360?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2