This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect similarities

Go down 
+2
Arbiteris
Stoney
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect similarities Empty
PostSubject: Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect similarities   Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect similarities EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 9:24 pm

Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR) and Mass Effect (ME) are Role playing game series at least started by Bioware. A discussion with HellJumper made me think about it randomly and I decided to pull this off the top of my head since I am currently bored at the moment.

The Main Character
-The Main character is fully customizable to the player
-After the First planet/mission you get a promoting, to Jedi in KOTOR and Spectre in ME (This only applies to the first games)
-Both characters are in a sense "repromoted" in the second games
-Both Main characters can be a soldier class (Only similar with KOTOR 1)
-The main characters can use powers of some sort
-The player can have romances with party members

The Party
-Carth and Kaidan have the same voice actor and both have something to do with piloting your ship
-Atton Rand is similar to Joker in that he is laid back and wise cracking and pilots the ship, although
-Something about Tali reminds me of Visas Marr
-Veetor survives the disappearance of human life on a planet, like Visas Marr, except her instance was far more serious
-It is possible to have a party member die at some point in the game on the player's choice

Your ship
-At the beginning of the second games the ship either gets damaged or is damaged, the Normandy is initially fine and later destroyed early on, and the Ebon Hawk is already damaged but later fixed.
-Both ships can be explored when the player wants to.

Weapons
-The gun weapons in KOTOR are similar to that in ME

Navigation
-You navigate with a galaxy map, though the one in ME is bigger

Locations
-The Citadel (ME) is similar to Citadel Station (KOTOR2)

I'll post some differences and maybe some more similarities later. I know there are probably more.
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Stoney

PostSubject: Re: Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect similarities   Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect similarities EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 9:57 pm

Bioware admitted to using KOTOR as a big (HUGE!) influence for Mass Effect so im not suprised at all.
Back to top Go down
Arbiteris
Four Star General (Moderator)
Arbiteris

PostSubject: Re: Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect similarities   Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect similarities EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 12:04 am

It is expected.

Mass Effect is pretty much a 7th gen version of KOTOR.It's bigger,cooler and better
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect similarities   Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect similarities EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 4:33 pm

HellJumper wrote:
It is expected.

Mass Effect is pretty much a 7th gen version of KOTOR.It's bigger,cooler and better

Your opinion is noted.
Back to top Go down
Blixtstorm
Blixtstorm

PostSubject: Re: Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect similarities   Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect similarities EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 4:56 pm

Ezekiel 703 wrote:
HellJumper wrote:
It is expected.

Your opinion is noted.

Well Kotor is alot bigger then ME...
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Blixtstorm
xjosh360s
Fleet Master Chief Petty Officer
Fleet Master Chief Petty Officer
xjosh360s

PostSubject: Re: Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect similarities   Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect similarities EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 6:59 pm

mass effect 2 still the best i never even heard of that game untill i saw it on youtube 2 months ago lol
Back to top Go down
spartan225
Force Master Chief Petty Officer

PostSubject: Re: Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect similarities   Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect similarities EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 12:03 pm

Some of the missions in KOTOR are similar to Mass Effect 2 loyalty missions. Bastila loses her father(Tali loses her father), Carth has problems with his son(Thane has problems with his son). Also the name of the Collecter General in ME2 is the same as the Republic ship at the start of KOTOR2(Harbinger).
Back to top Go down
spartan225

PostSubject: Re: Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect similarities   Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect similarities EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 12:04 pm

They should make a KOTOR 3.
Back to top Go down
Kendo
Ensign
Ensign
Kendo

PostSubject: Re: Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect similarities   Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect similarities EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 12:18 pm

Well they are both made by Bioware. So it should be expected.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuboy1000
Arbiteris
Arbiteris

PostSubject: Re: Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect similarities   Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect similarities EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 12:29 pm

spartan225 wrote:
Some of the missions in KOTOR are similar to Mass Effect 2 loyalty missions. Bastila loses her father(Tali loses her father), Carth has problems with his son(Thane has problems with his son). Also the name of the Collecter General in ME2 is the same as the Republic ship at the start of KOTOR2(Harbinger).

The Collector General isnt named Harbringer,Harbringer is just controlling it.
Back to top Go down
Arbiteris
Arbiteris

PostSubject: Re: Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect similarities   Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect similarities EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 12:32 pm

KOTOR charatcers barely have any emotion.They sould have atleast have facial expression and better voice acting in KOTOR 2.The charatcer's are kinda like robot's.They just stand there,state there problem pretty plainly and expect you to feel sorry for them.

The charatcers in Mass Effect on the other hand actually sound like real people with real problems.Just look at Tali's loyalty mission.
Back to top Go down
spartan225

PostSubject: Re: Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect similarities   Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect similarities EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 12:38 pm

HellJumper wrote:
spartan225 wrote:

The Collector General isnt named Harbringer,Harbringer is just controlling it.
I forget
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect similarities   Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect similarities EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 3:23 pm

HellJumper wrote:
KOTOR charatcers barely have any emotion.They sould have atleast have facial expression and better voice acting in KOTOR 2.The charatcer's are kinda like robot's.They just stand there,state there problem pretty plainly and expect you to feel sorry for them.

The charatcers in Mass Effect on the other hand actually sound like real people with real problems.Just look at Tali's loyalty mission.

Face rendering was not as good as it is today, you are talking about a for year difference, and 1 genreation later, it is expected to be better in rendering.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect similarities   Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect similarities Empty

Back to top Go down

Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect similarities
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General Xbox360 Discussion :: The Games-
Jump to: