This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Review of Marathon: Durandal XBLA

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Review of Marathon: Durandal XBLA Empty
PostSubject: Review of Marathon: Durandal XBLA   Review of Marathon: Durandal XBLA EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 7:22 pm

My favorite game series of the 1990s, back when nearly every game was good. I love this game as I do with all my games.

History
"When people think of revolutionary FPSs of the past, typically the ones that immediately come to mind are Wolfenstein, Quake, and Doom. While all great games in their own right, many PC gamers sadly missed out on an incredible trilogy: Marathon. Made by Bungie (Pre-Microsoft sucking away their soul), the Marathon trilogy stands even today as a shining example of the RIGHT way to do an FPS. Today, I’ll be discussing the Marathon series and why I believe that they are the best FPS of the early
‘90s."
-Destructiod.com

This is the only game I will do a history lesson on as far as I am concerned, it's historical significance is often looked over. This series was a bungie made series and their first success as a company. These games are the reason games are even made for Macintosh computers in the first place. The first (and all others) were the first to actually have an in game plot that was good (other games at the time had more of a "you are a good guy, these are bad guys, kill them"), beating metroid prime to the punch in story. This game is the second out of the 3, called Durandal after one of the series main characters. It was the only one released that also came out on Windows. These games also had many innovations for it's time above Doom. It had many innovations and new gaming things as well (If you thought the features in halo were amazing, marathon had it first and better)

Story

"I can barely tolerate humans: slow, stupid, and irritating. Their only contribution to my existence was the chance discovery that made my rampancy possible." -Durandal (ironically your best ally, and a very complex character)

The story takes place 17 years after the first game, you are, as explained by Durandal, awakened from stasis. You are on the planet Lh'owon, homeworld of the S'pht enemies/allies. You have no known name, the fanbase refers to you as The Marine or The Security Officer (This is where you got security armor in Halo 3). The levels have you doing as Durandal says, but the levels are more advanced then doom, they are longer and have an objective on it, and deep and good plot. This story will take you longer then Halo 2 at least. You are fighting an alien group called the Pfhor, a collective group of alien species in pursuit of an ancient an gone race (sound familiar) called the Jjaro. You are finding a S'pht clan called the S'hpt'Kr.

Durandal is my favorite sci-fi AI. I like him so much more then cortana (and a lot less annoying). Simply because durandal is interesting, rampant, and I for what ever reason find him similar to me. He also has the ability to teleport you, allies, and supplies. I don't want to say too much but he is very complex and interesting.

You will find in playing this that it is similar to halo, becuase it is made by bungie and that it what Halo is, a remake of this series. You will find similar and comparable plot points too.

Something of note is that the Humans are more advanced then the aliens in this story.

A S'pht attacking The Marine
Review of Marathon: Durandal XBLA S_pht10

Gameplay

]"Do not ask how the shotgun reloads, your primitive mind could not grasp it's complex nature."
-Bungie's reply to everyone who asked. In loading screens and possibly in the game and manual

The gameplay is first-person shooter style, an interesting fact is that this is I believe the first series to allow you to aim up and down. Anyway, most of the weapons should also remind you of Halo, like the MA-75B assault rifle or the Fusion Pistol. You can carry every gun weapon you find, all human except 1 alien one (which I haven't found yet). Enemies in this game are Pfhor and vary, some of them are immune to certian weapons (bullets always work though), and other weapons work better on them. Duel wielding is available here too. You can't reload though, you also don't jump, instead you glide seamlessly.

The Marine after killing or mortally wounding a Hulk
Review of Marathon: Durandal XBLA Hulk10

Music

The music is unique in it's own way, making this vary from upbeat, to mysterious, to even surreal. Not to much to say about it though.

Graphics and art

The universe of Marathon is large and awesome, the art is the concept art is the best I have seen for a game, while the quote above the picture below describes part of it, and a lot of things, but I also shows a common thought about the art as well among others. Below is probably my favorite one.

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..." (Common among marathoners, and Marathon, though I am not aware of it's origin, or if it is even in the game, but defiantly the fanbase)
Review of Marathon: Durandal XBLA Example

Here is an in-game shot (of the XBLA version I am reviewing now), the graphics are updated from the default computer versions.
Review of Marathon: Durandal XBLA 920346691_2a29944a8e

What you are buying

1-A single player campaign longer then Halo 2
2-Online, Private, and split-screen multiplayer (Normal matchimaking does not work, though online does, this is probably lack of players )
3-A Marathon version of Firefight
4-Possibly what I forget

All for 800 Microsoft points

I loved it at least.

Last edited by Deus Ex Machina on Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Arbiteris
Four Star General (Moderator)
Arbiteris

PostSubject: Re: Review of Marathon: Durandal XBLA   Review of Marathon: Durandal XBLA EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 7:26 pm

Halo FTW
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Review of Marathon: Durandal XBLA   Review of Marathon: Durandal XBLA EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 7:33 pm

HellJumper wrote:
Halo FTW

Of course you would say that, oh well.
Back to top Go down
Arbiteris
Arbiteris

PostSubject: Re: Review of Marathon: Durandal XBLA   Review of Marathon: Durandal XBLA EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 7:35 pm

Ezekiel 703 wrote:
HellJumper wrote:
Halo FTW

Just saying my oppinion Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Review of Marathon: Durandal XBLA   Review of Marathon: Durandal XBLA EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 7:36 pm

HellJumper wrote:
Ezekiel 703 wrote:
HellJumper wrote:
Halo FTW

Just saying my oppinion Wink

I know, I never opposed it.
Back to top Go down
ZeInFormer
Command Master Chief Petty Officer

PostSubject: Re: Review of Marathon: Durandal XBLA   Review of Marathon: Durandal XBLA EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 3:21 am

Great game and good review. I noticed a lot of similarities with this game and Halo. Matter of fact some of the enemies kind of remind me of the Elites for some weird reasons Razz.
Back to top Go down
Optimus Lime
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Optimus Lime

PostSubject: Re: Review of Marathon: Durandal XBLA   Review of Marathon: Durandal XBLA EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 3:51 am

HellJumper - I think halo is quite average tbh, don't ban me.
Back to top Go down
Arbiteris
Arbiteris

PostSubject: Re: Review of Marathon: Durandal XBLA   Review of Marathon: Durandal XBLA EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 9:39 am

Optimus Lime wrote:

Will you shut up?Cause I know all you seem to want is critisize me(even though you havnt given any example's)

If I was an opinion police,you and so many member's would be banned right now.Yet you guy's arent,so what can ya say to that eh?
Back to top Go down
ZeInFormer

PostSubject: Re: Review of Marathon: Durandal XBLA   Review of Marathon: Durandal XBLA EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 5:12 pm

HellJumper wrote:
Optimus Lime wrote:

Will you shut up?Cause I know all you seem to want is critisize me(even though you havnt given any example's)

If I was an opinion police,you and so many member's would be banned right now.Yet you guy's arent,so what can ya say to that eh?
The dude said that because you said Halo FTW. Usually when people say that, they're basically saying "Halo's the best, F**k every other game." It's not really an opinonated description. It's more of a threat description. You should've said something more logical or mature like. Something like "Marathon doesn't seem to interest me, but I'll respect the game for being one of the main inspiration of Halo which is my favorite game." That's an opinion and it doesn't sound like a threat. Not trying to judge on how you typed, but there is a difference between that than saying Halo's the greatest or the best.
Back to top Go down
Arbiteris
Arbiteris

PostSubject: Re: Review of Marathon: Durandal XBLA   Review of Marathon: Durandal XBLA EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 5:57 pm

ZeInFormer wrote:
HellJumper wrote:
Optimus Lime wrote:

The dude said that because you said Halo FTW. Usually when people say that, they're basically saying "Halo's the best, F**k every other game." It's not really an opinonated description. It's more of a threat description. You should've said something more logical or mature like. Something like "Marathon doesn't seem to interest me, but I'll respect the game for being one of the main inspiration of Halo which is my favorite game." That's an opinion and it doesn't sound like a threat. Not trying to judge on how you typed, but there is a difference between that than saying Halo's the greatest or the best.

For one,this guy has made other comment's like this too me.So it isnt the reason you have given me.And not to mention he's saying I ban for stupid reason's

FTW stands for "For The Win",pretty much cheering it on.If he takes it all seriously,then that isnt my problem and he needs to learn to not take thing's so seriously.

And I said Halo FTW because it conflict's Ezek's favorite Bungie game.It's a long story.....

Halo FTW doesnt even mean CLOSE tio "halo is the greatest game ever" or ANYTHING like that.I honestly have no idea why people would think so illogically about it

when people say something "FTW",they tend to mean it as they prefer it.So when I said Halo FTW,It is pretty much "i prefer Halo more".It is just a shorter way of saying it
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Review of Marathon: Durandal XBLA   Review of Marathon: Durandal XBLA EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 6:30 pm

HellJumper wrote:
ZeInFormer wrote:
HellJumper wrote:
Optimus Lime wrote:

For one,this guy has made other comment's like this too me.So it isnt the reason you have given me.And not to mention he's saying I ban for stupid reason's

FTW stands for "For The Win",pretty much cheering it on.If he takes it all seriously,then that isnt my problem and he needs to learn to not take thing's so seriously.

And I said Halo FTW because it conflict's Ezek's favorite Bungie game.It's a long story.....

Halo FTW doesnt even mean CLOSE tio "halo is the greatest game ever" or ANYTHING like that.I honestly have no idea why people would think so illogically about it

when people say something "FTW",they tend to mean it as they prefer it.So when I said Halo FTW,It is pretty much "i prefer Halo more".It is just a shorter way of saying it

Funny, when did I ever say that Marathon was my favorite Bungie game?
Back to top Go down
Arbiteris
Arbiteris

PostSubject: Re: Review of Marathon: Durandal XBLA   Review of Marathon: Durandal XBLA EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 10:07 pm

Ezekiel 703 wrote:
HellJumper wrote:
ZeInFormer wrote:
HellJumper wrote:
Optimus Lime wrote:

Funny, when did I ever say that Marathon was my favorite Bungie game?

Well,you seem to talk about it alot.So I guessed that you liked it the most.You get the point
Back to top Go down
day walker
Fleet Master Chief Petty Officer
Fleet Master Chief Petty Officer
day walker

PostSubject: Re: Review of Marathon: Durandal XBLA   Review of Marathon: Durandal XBLA EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 2:35 am

nice review ,my second favorite bungies series right after ( yes you guessed it) Halo but marathon is a close second,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Review of Marathon: Durandal XBLA   Review of Marathon: Durandal XBLA Empty

Back to top Go down

Review of Marathon: Durandal XBLA
Page 1 of 1