This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
igame
Senior Chief Petty Officer
igame

Will The Next Xbox Use DVD? Empty
PostSubject: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Will The Next Xbox Use DVD? EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 3:05 am

This is something i have thought about for a while, we all know that Blu ray doesnt mean a game is gona be good, but theres no doubt that it provides more space for devs to work with and thus giving them more freedom to do more without having to worry. As far as im concern there arent really many games on the 360 that use more than one DVD, Lost Odyssey and Final Fantasy 13 are one of the few i know about.

But my question is...will the next xbox used DVD? next gen games are bound to take up more space so i have high doubts that they will. But that only brings another question to mind...Will it use Blu ray?
Back to top Go down
343_Guilty_Spark
Four Star General (Moderator)
343_Guilty_Spark

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Will The Next Xbox Use DVD? EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 3:07 am

It might use Blu-Ray, but it might also use another larger format. There's no reason MS can't include Blu-Ray and since it's the new standard it would make sense to make it available to people who actually watch movies on their gaming consoles.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bungie.net
arnt god of war
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
arnt god of war

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Will The Next Xbox Use DVD? EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 3:22 am

343_Guilty_Spark wrote:
It might use Blu-Ray, but it might also use another larger format. There's no reason MS can't include Blu-Ray and since it's the new standard it would make sense to make it available to people who actually watch movies on their gaming consoles.
new standard? who says? to awnser op no it will not use bluray i can almost garuntee it (spelling fail??) more likely it will use a bigger version of dvd (new or old hd dvd maybe?)
Back to top Go down
343_Guilty_Spark
343_Guilty_Spark

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Will The Next Xbox Use DVD? EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 3:40 am

arnt god of war wrote:
343_Guilty_Spark wrote:
new standard? who says? to awnser op no it will not use bluray i can almost garuntee it (spelling fail??) more likely it will use a bigger version of dvd (new or old hd dvd maybe?)

Last I checked there's only two formats down at Walmart. DVD and BLu-Ray. DVD was the standard and now Blu-Ray is. DVD is still great and since it's cheaper it will be around just as long as Blu-Ray until something better comes along.

You might be right that the next Xbox will use HD DVD for games, but to leave out support for Blu-Ray movies would be a bad idea. All it would do is give Sony a feature that MS doesn't have.
Back to top Go down
arnt god of war
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
arnt god of war

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Will The Next Xbox Use DVD? EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 4:06 am

343_Guilty_Spark wrote:
arnt god of war wrote:
343_Guilty_Spark wrote:

Last I checked there's only two formats down at Walmart. DVD and BLu-Ray. DVD was the standard and now Blu-Ray is. DVD is still great and since it's cheaper it will be around just as long as Blu-Ray until something better comes along.

You might be right that the next Xbox will use HD DVD for games, but to leave out support for Blu-Ray movies would be a bad idea. All it would do is give Sony a feature that MS doesn't have.
you didnt awnser my question who says that blu ray is the new standard where did you get this info and how did you come to this conclusion and if your using walmart ill use block buster which has double the number of dvd movies than blu ray last time i checked
Back to top Go down
ghost23

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Will The Next Xbox Use DVD? EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 5:09 am

I don't think that blu-ray is the standard yet but it soon will be. Microsoft are doing a lot of experimenting with digital distribution at the moment. Look at 1080p movies, Games on Demand, XBLA. It's a possibility that next generation will be largely digital based.
Back to top Go down
343_Guilty_Spark
343_Guilty_Spark

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Will The Next Xbox Use DVD? EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 5:31 am

ghost23 wrote:
I don't think that blu-ray is the standard yet but it soon will be. Microsoft are doing a lot of experimenting with digital distribution at the moment. Look at 1080p movies, Games on Demand, XBLA. It's a possibility that next generation will be largely digital based.

I hope not, I will always prefer to collect both games and movies just like books. If you can only download then we don't really own anything we buy.
Back to top Go down
ghost23

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Will The Next Xbox Use DVD? EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 5:36 am

343_Guilty_Spark wrote:
ghost23 wrote:

I hope not, I will always prefer to collect both games and movies just like books. If you can only download then we don't really own anything we buy.

Yeh I don't want that either, but it looks like thats what the future is going to be. Maybe not next generation but it will happen eventually.
Back to top Go down
343_Guilty_Spark
343_Guilty_Spark

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Will The Next Xbox Use DVD? EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 5:59 am

ghost23 wrote:
343_Guilty_Spark wrote:
ghost23 wrote:

Yeh I don't want that either, but it looks like thats what the future is going to be. Maybe not next generation but it will happen eventually.

I don't know. If developers want to fill up Blu-Ray discs at 50gb for dual layer I can't imagine how long that would take to download. Not all gamers even have highspeed internet. Next gen games will be even bigger.
Back to top Go down
Optimus Lime
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Optimus Lime

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Will The Next Xbox Use DVD? EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 6:19 am

343_Guilty_Spark wrote:
ghost23 wrote:
343_Guilty_Spark wrote:
ghost23 wrote:

I don't know. If developers want to fill up Blu-Ray discs at 50gb for dual layer I can't imagine how long that would take to download. Not all gamers even have highspeed internet. Next gen games will be even bigger.

128gb Blu Ray discs are now possible. Impossible is nothing.
Back to top Go down
Gibbon_Master
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Gibbon_Master

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Will The Next Xbox Use DVD? EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 6:35 am

Microsoft does not want to pay Sony to use the Blu-Ray technology as they would have to licence it from them. So Sony would love that.
Back to top Go down
ghost23

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Will The Next Xbox Use DVD? EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 7:23 am

Optimus Lime wrote:
343_Guilty_Spark wrote:
ghost23 wrote:
343_Guilty_Spark wrote:
ghost23 wrote:

wtf where did you hear that? Thats insane.
Back to top Go down
Gibbon_Master
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Gibbon_Master

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Will The Next Xbox Use DVD? EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 8:09 am

ghost23 wrote:
Optimus Lime wrote:
343_Guilty_Spark wrote:
ghost23 wrote:
343_Guilty_Spark wrote:
ghost23 wrote:

wtf where did you hear that? Thats insane.

It's true they can fit 128Gb on a Blu-ray disc with talk of being able to go up to 250Gb for a single blu-ray disc in the near future
Back to top Go down
daveMastaKill
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
daveMastaKill

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Will The Next Xbox Use DVD? EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 11:57 am

I guess so....that will use Blu-Ray (shit i don't even read the topic right..)

Last edited by daveMastaKill on Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Stoney

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Will The Next Xbox Use DVD? EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 12:55 pm

It will be disc based. What other formats are availible? It wont be download only. I have a 20mb download and 1.5 mb upload (speed) broadband and it took me almost an hour and a half to download GTA San Andreas(2gb). Imagine trying to download a 10gb game. (Im guessing next gen games will be alot bigger with the new graphic engines and what not).
Back to top Go down
arnt god of war
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
arnt god of war

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Will The Next Xbox Use DVD? EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 8:21 pm

but dont count microsoft out yet they could very well have a new dvd in the works H dvd but the thing about filling up more space is it takes more time to develop games were already at 3 years so are we really willing to wait 10 years for games and are companys really willing to invest that much?
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Stoney

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Will The Next Xbox Use DVD? EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 8:55 pm

http://www.t3.com/news/xbox-720-is-not-on-the-way-says-microsoft?=43085

There's life in that old console yet

Hopes of an Xbox 720 appearing in the near future were dashed as Microsoft confirmed that there are no current plans to release a successor to the Xbox 360.

The company intends instead to extend the life of the existing console with more content services like Sky Player and add-ons such as Project Natal as well as the rumoured muscle-based controller

Microsoft's David Hufford, senior director of Xbox product management on Project Natal told an interviewer this week that, "it's important to say that the Xbox 360 is the console of the long future for us," adding that the company feels there "is no need to launch a new console, because we're able to give this console new life either with software upgrades or hardware upgrades."

Hufford added: "The Xbox 360 was designed for a long life, and I don't even know if we're at the midpoint yet."

With 3D technology hot on the CES 2010 agenda, Sony has already unveiled plans to bring 3D gaming to the PS3, and Hufford was also quick to stress the potential 3D capabilities of the Xbox 360, claiming: "Avatar is on Xbox and we have a 3D game, Scrap Metal, in our booth right now."

"I don't want to say that technology stops, but we believe we have a high quality console, and we stand by that quality with an unprecedented warranty, so we think we're in a good place now heading into the Natal era," said the Microsoft man.

One piece of hardware Microsoft hopes will keep the Xbox 360 chugging away is Project Natal which the company believes will sell in its millions by Christmas.

Microsoft used its keynote speech at CES to announce that the motion-sensing controller would be available for Christmas 2010, and they fully expect it to be top of the festive wish list this year.

Speaking to Joystiq at CES, Microsoft's Aaron Greenberg said: "We think that there will be millions of Natals in consumer's homes this holiday."

Greenberg also confirmed that the Natal add-on kit will work on all Xbox 360 systems, including those without a HDD.

"As far as I'm aware, there is no requirement for a hard drive," he said.

The message is clear then, take good care of that 360 console, you may be holding onto it for some time yet

Old article but still.
Back to top Go down
jaykay
jaykay

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Will The Next Xbox Use DVD? EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 8:56 pm

xSTONEYx187x wrote:
http://www.t3.com/news/xbox-720-is-not-on-the-way-says-microsoft?=43085

There's life in that old console yet

Hopes of an Xbox 720 appearing in the near future were dashed as Microsoft confirmed that there are no current plans to release a successor to the Xbox 360.

The company intends instead to extend the life of the existing console with more content services like Sky Player and add-ons such as Project Natal as well as the rumoured muscle-based controller

Microsoft's David Hufford, senior director of Xbox product management on Project Natal told an interviewer this week that, "it's important to say that the Xbox 360 is the console of the long future for us," adding that the company feels there "is no need to launch a new console, because we're able to give this console new life either with software upgrades or hardware upgrades."

Hufford added: "The Xbox 360 was designed for a long life, and I don't even know if we're at the midpoint yet."

With 3D technology hot on the CES 2010 agenda, Sony has already unveiled plans to bring 3D gaming to the PS3, and Hufford was also quick to stress the potential 3D capabilities of the Xbox 360, claiming: "Avatar is on Xbox and we have a 3D game, Scrap Metal, in our booth right now."

"I don't want to say that technology stops, but we believe we have a high quality console, and we stand by that quality with an unprecedented warranty, so we think we're in a good place now heading into the Natal era," said the Microsoft man.

One piece of hardware Microsoft hopes will keep the Xbox 360 chugging away is Project Natal which the company believes will sell in its millions by Christmas.

Microsoft used its keynote speech at CES to announce that the motion-sensing controller would be available for Christmas 2010, and they fully expect it to be top of the festive wish list this year.

Speaking to Joystiq at CES, Microsoft's Aaron Greenberg said: "We think that there will be millions of Natals in consumer's homes this holiday."

Greenberg also confirmed that the Natal add-on kit will work on all Xbox 360 systems, including those without a HDD.

"As far as I'm aware, there is no requirement for a hard drive," he said.

The message is clear then, take good care of that 360 console, you may be holding onto it for some time yet

Old article but still.
More add-ons? Great, because Microsoft really followed through with that HD-DVD drive of theirs.
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Stoney

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Will The Next Xbox Use DVD? EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 8:59 pm

@ Jaykay. Well the reason the HD-DVD failed was because of the success of Blu-Ray. And that add-on was fail to the highest degree.
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Stigma

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Will The Next Xbox Use DVD? EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 9:12 pm

Blue ray is a gimmick, when you put a regular dvd into a blueray player it gets upscaled. Sure blueray looks a little better, but it isn't too much of a visual improvement. It's like 30% blueray disk and 70% blueray player. It's not the format, but the hardware that determines the visuals.

I mean look at PC games, they have better graphics than the PS3, yet they use regular dvds.

MS will probably use whatever format the PC uses and have the next xbox have similar architecture again, but it will probably have really powerful hardware, meanwhile Sony will probably try to use a new format like they always do.

My guess is that the next Xbox will probably use a lesser format than the next playstation, but have vastly powerful hardware.

So yes unless the PC gets a new format then they'll use it. Or maybe MS will create their own custom format but the disk drive will still be able to play DVDs and Blue Rays.
Back to top Go down
Zombl337
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Will The Next Xbox Use DVD? EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 9:48 pm

No......we already have many 2 disc games and a couple 3 & 4 disc (DVD-9) games on 360.....I dont mind it, but they need to change it next gen
Back to top Go down
jaykay
jaykay

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Will The Next Xbox Use DVD? EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 10:01 pm

BlackStigma wrote:
Blue ray is a gimmick, when you put a regular dvd into a blueray player it gets upscaled. Sure blueray looks a little better, but it isn't too much of a visual improvement. It's like 30% blueray disk and 70% blueray player. It's not the format, but the hardware that determines the visuals.

I mean look at PC games, they have better graphics than the PS3, yet they use regular dvds.

MS will probably use whatever format the PC uses and have the next xbox have similar architecture again, but it will probably have really powerful hardware, meanwhile Sony will probably try to use a new format like they always do.

My guess is that the next Xbox will probably use a lesser format than the next playstation, but have vastly powerful hardware.

So yes unless the PC gets a new format then they'll use it. Or maybe MS will create their own custom format but the disk drive will still be able to play DVDs and Blue Rays.
The Xbox IS using the same format as the PC as far as I know: DVD-9. And I don't think there's a single PC game that looks as good as certain PS3 games. The PC's graphics juggernaut is Crysis, and Uncharted 2, Killzone 2, Gran Turismo 5, and God of War III destroy it graphically.

My point is, Blu Ray can really do amazing things, and Microsoft would be stupid not to use it in their next line of consoles.
Back to top Go down
arnt god of war
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
arnt god of war

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Will The Next Xbox Use DVD? EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 11:59 pm

jaykay wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:

The Xbox IS using the same format as the PC as far as I know: DVD-9. And I don't think there's a single PC game that looks as good as certain PS3 games. The PC's graphics juggernaut is Crysis, and Uncharted 2, Killzone 2, Gran Turismo 5, and God of War III destroy it graphically.

My point is, Blu Ray can really do amazing things, and Microsoft would be stupid not to use it in their next line of consoles.
lol wut?
Back to top Go down
jaykay
jaykay

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Will The Next Xbox Use DVD? EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 12:16 am

arnt god of war wrote:
jaykay wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:

lol wut?
I'm saying that Blu Ray is not a gimmick, that Microsoft would be stupid not to use it down the line, and that the king of graphics, Crysis, has been overthrown by numerous PS3 exclusives.
Back to top Go down
arnt god of war
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
arnt god of war

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Will The Next Xbox Use DVD? EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 12:24 am

jaykay wrote:
arnt god of war wrote:
jaykay wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:

lol wut?
I'm saying that Blu Ray is not a gimmick, that Microsoft would be stupid not to use it down the line, and that the king of graphics, Crysis, has been overthrown by numerous PS3 exclusives.
so youve played crysis high on everything?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Will The Next Xbox Use DVD? Empty

Back to top Go down

Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next