This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Epic Blames Piracy For Shift Away From PC

Go down 
+4
Blixtstorm
ghost23
343_Guilty_Spark
Pickles
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Pickles
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Pickles

Epic Blames Piracy For Shift Away From PC Empty
PostSubject: Epic Blames Piracy For Shift Away From PC   Epic Blames Piracy For Shift Away From PC EmptyThu May 20, 2010 12:42 am

Quote :
Epic Games cut its teeth in the PC market with games like Jazz Jackrabbit and Unreal, but it's hard not to notice what appears to be more of a focus on console games. Aside from its Unreal engine, which the company licenses out to other developers, Epic's biggest push comes from its Gears of War franchise. Gears does appear on PC, but the series' console roots are tough to ignore. What's behind the apparent shift in focus from PC to console? According to Epic, the answer is relatively simple.

In an interview with Edge magazine, Epic president Mike Capps cites piracy as the primary motivation behind the move. The Sixth Axis has posted excerpts of the interview, in which Capps says "the money's on console."

“If you walked into [Epic's Offices] six years ago, Epic was a PC company," says Capps. "We did one PS2 launch title, and everything else was PC. And now, people are saying ‘Why do you hate the PC? You’re a console-only company.’

“We still do PC, we still love the PC, but we already saw the impact of piracy: it killed a lot of great independent developers and completely changed our business model.”

Whether or not you agree with Capps, one thing's clear: The perception of piracy's effects has spurred the company to move to greener pastures. As a company, Epic's job is to make money. If something gets in the way of that goal, don't expect them to stick around solely out of loyalty for a platform that may no longer make financial sense.

LOL pc gamers are screwed!
Back to top Go down
343_Guilty_Spark
Four Star General (Moderator)
343_Guilty_Spark

PostSubject: Re: Epic Blames Piracy For Shift Away From PC   Epic Blames Piracy For Shift Away From PC EmptyThu May 20, 2010 1:03 am

The real money is on consoles and the Xbox 360 audience buys the most games in Epic's genres. I don't think it really has anything to do with piracy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bungie.net

PostSubject: Re: Epic Blames Piracy For Shift Away From PC   Epic Blames Piracy For Shift Away From PC EmptyThu May 20, 2010 7:59 am

Yeah, most of Epics money came from the 360 user base. So its not like they will lose a lot of money for this.
Back to top Go down
ghost23

PostSubject: Re: Epic Blames Piracy For Shift Away From PC   Epic Blames Piracy For Shift Away From PC EmptyThu May 20, 2010 8:33 am

This is why PC gaming is dead. Apart from all the fact that its easier to play on consoles, there isn't enough financial inflow to fund the development of AAA on the PC.
Back to top Go down
Blixtstorm
Blixtstorm

PostSubject: Re: Epic Blames Piracy For Shift Away From PC   Epic Blames Piracy For Shift Away From PC EmptyThu May 20, 2010 9:02 am

ghost23 wrote:
This is why PC gaming is dead. Apart from all the fact that its easier to play on consoles, there isn't enough financial inflow to fund the development of AAA on the PC.

Then tell me why PC gaming is growing and is still bigger then PS3 and 360 combined... The thing is its changing and is different from what it used to be.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Blixtstorm

PostSubject: Re: Epic Blames Piracy For Shift Away From PC   Epic Blames Piracy For Shift Away From PC EmptyThu May 20, 2010 4:11 pm

Blixtstorm wrote:
ghost23 wrote:

Then tell me why PC gaming is growing and is still bigger then PS3 and 360 combined... The thing is its changing and is different from what it used to be.

Very true. But PC gaming doesn't appeal to as big of an audience as console gaming does.
Back to top Go down
Pickles
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Pickles

PostSubject: Re: Epic Blames Piracy For Shift Away From PC   Epic Blames Piracy For Shift Away From PC EmptySat May 22, 2010 2:08 am

Blixtstorm wrote:
ghost23 wrote:

Uhh...how is it growing?
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Stigma

PostSubject: Re: Epic Blames Piracy For Shift Away From PC   Epic Blames Piracy For Shift Away From PC EmptySat May 22, 2010 1:08 pm

Blixtstorm wrote:
ghost23 wrote:

Exclusive wise the PC has just about nothing outside of MMO and RTS games. It still has a large audience, but it's exclusives are now dieing. Like Crysis, it's coming to 360 and PS3 now. And there is no one company for the PC out there buying exclusives and getting 1st party developers either.
Back to top Go down
ghost23

PostSubject: Re: Epic Blames Piracy For Shift Away From PC   Epic Blames Piracy For Shift Away From PC EmptySun May 23, 2010 12:40 am

Blixtstorm wrote:
ghost23 wrote:

Apart from Blizzard games, the PC really has no exclusives. You name me one huge AAA exclusive to come out of the PC in recent times.
Back to top Go down
Master_Chief
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Master_Chief

PostSubject: Re: Epic Blames Piracy For Shift Away From PC   Epic Blames Piracy For Shift Away From PC EmptySun May 23, 2010 12:48 am

Does this actually surprise anybody? Piracy is through the roof on PC. In fact everybody that I know personally that is a PC gamer pirates all their games.
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Stigma

PostSubject: Re: Epic Blames Piracy For Shift Away From PC   Epic Blames Piracy For Shift Away From PC EmptySun May 23, 2010 12:51 am

Master_Chief wrote:
Does this actually surprise anybody? Piracy is through the roof on PC. In fact everybody that I know personally that is a PC gamer pirates all their games.

That's my friends basis on why the PC is best gaming platform ever lol.
Back to top Go down
ghost23

PostSubject: Re: Epic Blames Piracy For Shift Away From PC   Epic Blames Piracy For Shift Away From PC EmptySun May 23, 2010 1:10 am

Master_Chief wrote:

I agree. It's because it's so easy to pirate games and any attempt from the publishers to try and stop piracy ends up being absolutely despised and not doing anything (Ubisoft).
Back to top Go down
arnt god of war
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
arnt god of war

PostSubject: Re: Epic Blames Piracy For Shift Away From PC   Epic Blames Piracy For Shift Away From PC EmptySun May 23, 2010 1:38 am

really i blame pubs/dubs for piracy so i guess were even.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Epic Blames Piracy For Shift Away From PC   Epic Blames Piracy For Shift Away From PC EmptySun May 23, 2010 1:30 pm

Piracy is the only reason I have games on my PC lol. Very few games I buy for PC, only really good ones. Like KOTOR and such
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: Epic Blames Piracy For Shift Away From PC   Epic Blames Piracy For Shift Away From PC EmptyMon May 24, 2010 9:56 am

"b...b...but I can play it on pc!!"

Haha no you fucking can't!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Epic Blames Piracy For Shift Away From PC   Epic Blames Piracy For Shift Away From PC Empty

Back to top Go down

Epic Blames Piracy For Shift Away From PC
Page 1 of 1