This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.



 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log in  

 

 Does anyone else think English is ridiculous?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Stigma
Four Star General (Moderator)
Four Star General (Moderator)
Stigma

Posts : 2309
Join date : 2009-12-01
Location : US

Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? Empty
PostSubject: Does anyone else think English is ridiculous?   Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? EmptySun May 30, 2010 10:59 pm

Ever heard of spelling bees? Cause most German's and Austrian's haven't. Know why? Because in German, if you can say it you can spell it. I don't understand why people had to make English so complicated. There are so many vague grammar rule's and spelling and pronunciations that it's ridiculous. Even more so because it's the world's most popular language.

Why do you think this is? I think it's because words aren't translated into English, you just say them as they are. What I mean is for example, Pizza in Italian is said the same as in English. In German Pizza is actually a German word, although some say Pizzo. But if Pizza wasn't a German word then it would be translated into German. This becomes a problem with pronunciation and spelling, etc.

I hate English, do any of you remotely dislike English?
Back to top Go down
ghost23
Four Star General (Moderator)
Four Star General (Moderator)


Posts : 3425
Join date : 2009-12-16
Location : Australia

Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else think English is ridiculous?   Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? EmptyMon May 31, 2010 3:12 am

I hate studying English in school because I think analysing film and text is a complete waste of time. But as a language, I don't hate it at all.
Back to top Go down
Arbiteris
Four Star General (Moderator)
Four Star General (Moderator)
Arbiteris

Posts : 5064
Join date : 2009-09-15
Location : Sanghelios

Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else think English is ridiculous?   Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? EmptyMon May 31, 2010 1:30 pm

You suck English Hater!!!!!!!nah im kidding

I have never had this problem because english is the only language I Know

Though ive always had trouble understanding French.I find lots of french words sound helluva different than what they are spelt.

Arent most english words prenounced as they are spelt?Cause pretty much the main words you say in english sounds as they are spelt.i could be wrong though.

Though I can barely understand what english speaking people from europe even say.I mean,ive met some teenagers from the Uk and they talk so damn fast.I can only make out a few words in there sentence
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else think English is ridiculous?   Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 8:10 am

I dont have a problem with it, but I grew up speaking english. I am in Spanish right now and I think that it is overly complicated and just stupid, but I guess it is personal preference.
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
Four Star General (Moderator)
Four Star General (Moderator)
DemonWolf

Posts : 9104
Join date : 2009-09-11
Age : 27
Location : UK? Yes I'm fine.

Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else think English is ridiculous?   Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 9:21 am

I actually really like English language. It's pretty simple to me. Like with Latin (I know no one speaks it but this is just an example)depending upon the context, words change. For example canis is a dog and if you want to say dog eat dog, you can't say canis edit canis, you say canis canem edit.
Because the second dog is getting eaten for some reason it needs to be called canem instead.

English has none of that. Razz lol

I hate french personally. I find it a very silly language. lol no offense if there are any frenchies here. Also I hate the way you have to pronounce some of the stuff.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
MasterCheef
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class
MasterCheef

Posts : 101
Join date : 2010-07-06

Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else think English is ridiculous?   Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 7:58 am

dats why im trying to learn austrian
Back to top Go down
raspymanic1
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer
raspymanic1

Posts : 484
Join date : 2009-09-21
Age : 36
Location : southampton uk

Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else think English is ridiculous?   Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 11:05 am

english is the hardest language to learn, but is also the most relaxed language for the vocal cords
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else think English is ridiculous?   Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 12:53 pm

raspymanic1 wrote:
english is the hardest language to learn, but is also the most relaxed language for the vocal cords

Chinese is actually the hardest. over 3000 characters.
Back to top Go down
MasterCheef
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class
MasterCheef

Posts : 101
Join date : 2010-07-06

Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else think English is ridiculous?   Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 12:54 pm

TheJubJub57212 wrote:
raspymanic1 wrote:
english is the hardest language to learn, but is also the most relaxed language for the vocal cords

Chinese is actually the hardest. over 3000 characters.

lol, i imagine poor elementary school children trying to memorise those
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else think English is ridiculous?   Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 12:56 pm

MasterCheef wrote:
TheJubJub57212 wrote:
raspymanic1 wrote:
english is the hardest language to learn, but is also the most relaxed language for the vocal cords

Chinese is actually the hardest. over 3000 characters.

lol, i imagine poor elementary school children trying to memorise those

I know! I would hate to be chinese Razz
Back to top Go down
Freemon34'
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer
Freemon34'

Posts : 835
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 24

Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else think English is ridiculous?   Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 6:04 pm

The worst part is, is the fact that it has different versions. American English and True English.

Examples:

Color - Colour
Center - Centre
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else think English is ridiculous?   Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 11:00 pm

Freemon34-YT wrote:
The worst part is, is the fact that it has different versions. American English and True English.

Examples:

Color - Colour
Center - Centre

Two different dilects of the English language. There are these with Spanish (Spain and Mexico are slightly different) and Chinese. But mostly there isnt much of a difference. And in America, its not wrong if you spell it like colour, it just isnt what most people use.
Back to top Go down
santosj95
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class
santosj95

Posts : 196
Join date : 2009-09-10
Age : 28
Location : Lisbon

Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else think English is ridiculous?   Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 5:47 pm

English is really easy to learn, I don't get your problem at all.

There are much MUCH worse languages, from Chinese to my own Portuguese.
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
Four Star General (Moderator)
Four Star General (Moderator)
DemonWolf

Posts : 9104
Join date : 2009-09-11
Age : 27
Location : UK? Yes I'm fine.

Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else think English is ridiculous?   Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 6:10 pm

Freemon34-YT wrote:
The worst part is, is the fact that it has different versions. American English and True English.

Examples:

Color - Colour
Center - Centre

LOL!
Sorry man but center and centre are both used in English.
Center implies the middle.
Centre is like a place. Like shopping centre.

I may have it the wrong way round because I'm tired but yeah...
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
DemonWolf
Four Star General (Moderator)
Four Star General (Moderator)
DemonWolf

Posts : 9104
Join date : 2009-09-11
Age : 27
Location : UK? Yes I'm fine.

Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else think English is ridiculous?   Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 6:11 pm

Oh and Americans, for alluminium pronounce it: A loooo minum
whereas english people pronounce it alyu minyum
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
Freemon34'
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer
Freemon34'

Posts : 835
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 24

Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else think English is ridiculous?   Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 6:19 pm

demondragondude wrote:
Freemon34-YT wrote:
The worst part is, is the fact that it has different versions. American English and True English.

Examples:

Color - Colour
Center - Centre

LOL!
Sorry man but center and centre are both used in English.
Center implies the middle.
Centre is like a place. Like shopping centre.

I may have it the wrong way round because I'm tired but yeah...

center means both here Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else think English is ridiculous?   Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 6:26 pm

demondragondude wrote:
Oh and Americans, for alluminium pronounce it: A loooo minum
whereas english people pronounce it alyu minyum

No I think thats just people in the northern parts of the US. lol up north (especially Minnesota) have a long o accent.
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
Four Star General (Moderator)
Four Star General (Moderator)
DemonWolf

Posts : 9104
Join date : 2009-09-11
Age : 27
Location : UK? Yes I'm fine.

Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else think English is ridiculous?   Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 6:33 pm

Freemon34-YT wrote:
demondragondude wrote:
Freemon34-YT wrote:
The worst part is, is the fact that it has different versions. American English and True English.

Examples:

Color - Colour
Center - Centre

LOL!
Sorry man but center and centre are both used in English.
Center implies the middle.
Centre is like a place. Like shopping centre.

I may have it the wrong way round because I'm tired but yeah...

center means both here Very Happy

Oh I see lol

TheJubJub57212 wrote:
demondragondude wrote:
Oh and Americans, for alluminium pronounce it: A loooo minum
whereas english people pronounce it alyu minyum

No I think thats just people in the northern parts of the US. lol up north (especially Minnesota) have a long o accent.


really? Btw I overexaggerated the "looooo" bit. Razz I just wanted to emphasise there's no "y" in it. aloominum XD
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
Guest
Guest



Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else think English is ridiculous?   Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 8:43 pm

demondragondude wrote:
TheJubJub57212 wrote:
demondragondude wrote:
Oh and Americans, for alluminium pronounce it: A loooo minum
whereas english people pronounce it alyu minyum

No I think thats just people in the northern parts of the US. lol up north (especially Minnesota) have a long o accent.


really? Btw I overexaggerated the "looooo" bit. Razz I just wanted to emphasise there's no "y" in it. aloominum XD

I dont hear it myself (since I am from Minnesota) but apperently we have a long o sound XD and it is bad if you really listen to it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
Four Star General (Moderator)
Four Star General (Moderator)
DemonWolf

Posts : 9104
Join date : 2009-09-11
Age : 27
Location : UK? Yes I'm fine.

Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else think English is ridiculous?   Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 6:58 am

TheJubJub57212 wrote:
demondragondude wrote:
TheJubJub57212 wrote:
demondragondude wrote:
Oh and Americans, for alluminium pronounce it: A loooo minum
whereas english people pronounce it alyu minyum

No I think thats just people in the northern parts of the US. lol up north (especially Minnesota) have a long o accent.


really? Btw I overexaggerated the "looooo" bit. Razz I just wanted to emphasise there's no "y" in it. aloominum XD

I dont hear it myself (since I am from Minnesota) but apperently we have a long o sound XD and it is bad if you really listen to it Very Happy

Hahaha omg XD I wanna hear it. hehe
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
Guest
Guest



Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else think English is ridiculous?   Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 11:36 am

demondragondude wrote:
TheJubJub57212 wrote:
demondragondude wrote:
TheJubJub57212 wrote:
demondragondude wrote:
Oh and Americans, for alluminium pronounce it: A loooo minum
whereas english people pronounce it alyu minyum

No I think thats just people in the northern parts of the US. lol up north (especially Minnesota) have a long o accent.


really? Btw I overexaggerated the "looooo" bit. Razz I just wanted to emphasise there's no "y" in it. aloominum XD

I dont hear it myself (since I am from Minnesota) but apperently we have a long o sound XD and it is bad if you really listen to it Very Happy

Hahaha omg XD I wanna hear it. hehe

Noooo....lol
Back to top Go down
Jossa81
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Jossa81

Posts : 112
Join date : 2010-07-27

Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else think English is ridiculous?   Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 5:24 am

The hardest part of learning English as a second language is the fact that we have multiple meanings for the same sounding words such as which and witch. If you aren't fluent enough you won't know which witch is which, and that confused the hell out of me just typing it...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does anyone else think English is ridiculous?   Does anyone else think English is ridiculous? Empty

Back to top Go down
 
Does anyone else think English is ridiculous?
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» muxxu is now in english
» Broken Sword 2.5 to Release in English
» NEW: The English Patch for Hollywood Monsters (Pendulo Studios,1997).
» Chaos on Deponia - English DVD
» Kaptain Brawe - English CD

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: User Created :: Rants, Articles, Columns, Videos-
Jump to: