This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently)

Go down 
+5
am203
Arbiteris
Pickles
Wolfshiemhere
TheJester
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TheJester
Seaman
Seaman

Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently) Empty
PostSubject: Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently)   Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently) EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 11:04 pm

As you can see, I'm quite new to registering on this website. I am no fanboy, although I do have preferences. I believe all 4 home platforms have their ups and downs, and each has games I'd love to play. But my question, as you can see by the topic, is regarding Natal.

Basically this: What do you think it will truly do for gaming as a whole?

And this is an honest question. I just fail to see what's so great about it. I only see it appealing to the casual market, at least so far, and it seems too overpriced (if the ~$150 price tag rumors are true) to justify buying it just for mini-game type stuff (such as in Fable 3)

So far, we've seen the ball-breaker game (could be fun with friends, but only for so long), a racing game (but why not use an actual wheel or your controller? Natal would probably a lot less responsive), Milo (not much to do with gaming), and perhaps a few others.

Now, they COULD make it better with peripherals, which they might do. But I doubt they will because it will defeat what it was marketed as in the first place - a way to play games with no controllers. And there's only so much you can do without a controller. Then you have the issue of it working only in large, wide open spaces with nothing in the background.

I suppose we'll see in 11 days or so when they have their press conference. I honestly do want to see this thing be put to use, because it does have potential. So far, I think it'll sell pretty well, but it won't exactly "work" too well.

As a final note, this is NOT a comparison thread to the PS Move and its capabilities. I'd rather not see a post that has to do with it. I want to hear your opinions and how Natal could be good, what it may be able to do, and whether or not you think it's worth $150 at this point in time.
Back to top Go down
Wolfshiemhere
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class

PostSubject: Re: Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently)   Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently) EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 11:14 pm

Welcome to the site. Personally I think it will fail and not be the kind of "innovation" that Microsoft says it is.
I had a bad feeling when Molyneux came out and from a technical aspect it has many limitations.
My main complaint is that you can't move a character in a 3D environment like Marcus Fenix or Master Chief in their respective game. You are bound to a game in which you're on a vehicle (car, skateboard) or you're in a very limited space (the area you can walk around in in front of the camera) and doesn't have the shooting element for possibly making rail shooters.
It will be fun, I can see some fun games come out of it but seeing as the spokesperson of the hardware itself and the headline game it is part of, Fable 3, is only for "cute" minigames and side things I am very skeptical on its potential.
Back to top Go down
TheJester
Seaman
Seaman

PostSubject: Re: Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently)   Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently) EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 11:20 pm

Yeah. And there's a VERY large possibility that the Milo demo was staged (some sources say it was I think. I'd get a link but don't feel like looking haha)

I'd like to see maybe some rail shooters if it can detect something like the motion of pulling a trigger or something. And as you said, there is no way to control a FPS or TPS (without a peripheral, that is)

Like I said, they'll sell a lot, guaranteed. You know how Microsoft is with marketing. But I don't think it'll revolutionize the current state of gaming at all.
Back to top Go down
Wolfshiemhere
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class

PostSubject: Re: Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently)   Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently) EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 11:26 pm

TheJester wrote:
Yeah. And there's a VERY large possibility that the Milo demo was staged (some sources say it was I think. I'd get a link but don't feel like looking haha)
When the card was turned to Milo to view in the camera you can tell nothing was on the card and suddenly Milo has a card with a drawing on it.
Back to top Go down
TheJester
Seaman
Seaman

PostSubject: Re: Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently)   Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently) EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 12:02 am

I actually have a friend who mentioned that. There was also a thing I saw where Molyneux said Milo didn't show the paper because he "knew people would draw inappropriate things" etc etc.

Other than that, it's a pedophile's dream.
Back to top Go down
Pickles
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Pickles

PostSubject: Re: Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently)   Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently) EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 2:58 pm

I like Natal. I think I remember seeing Hideo Kojima getting all sweaty over it and that he was surprised that Microsoft got to do it first.
Back to top Go down
TheJester
Seaman
Seaman

PostSubject: Re: Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently)   Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently) EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 3:00 pm

Do what first, exactly?
Back to top Go down
Pickles
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Pickles

PostSubject: Re: Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently)   Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently) EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 3:01 pm

TheJester wrote:
Do what first, exactly?

That whole camera thing. I KNOW Sony really did it first but they barely support their own EyeToy
Back to top Go down
TheJester
Seaman
Seaman

PostSubject: Re: Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently)   Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently) EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 3:03 pm

Lol. It's basically an improved Eyetoy. And yes, Sony barely supported it because there isn't much to do without a controller. Granted, Natal is a huge improvement, I just don't see what they're gonna do with it. At least in the non-casual scene.
Back to top Go down
Pickles
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Pickles

PostSubject: Re: Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently)   Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently) EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 3:06 pm

TheJester wrote:
Lol. It's basically an improved Eyetoy. And yes, Sony barely supported it because there isn't much to do without a controller. Granted, Natal is a huge improvement, I just don't see what they're gonna do with it. At least in the non-casual scene.

Microsoft is gonna treat Natals launch as big as the 360 launch, I think. Who knows? They might actually come up with a good hardcore game like MadWorld on the Wii. The problem is that I don't think anyone will even buy it. Unless they bundle Natal with the 360 but then again you never know.
Back to top Go down
TheJester
Seaman
Seaman

PostSubject: Re: Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently)   Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently) EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 3:11 pm

As said in the OP, my main concern is how functional it will be. Not in the sense of the games, but in the sense of how well it will operate in an average house. Every single video showing natal is in a large room with nothing in the background, which presents a HUGE problem. This means you may have to move your coffee table, maybe a couch (doubtful) out of your living room. I think I might have heard (correct me if I'm wrong) that Natal doesn't function too well when many different colors are interfering in the camera's lens, and that its performance is worse with darker colors (basically, it's racist! Razz). Like I said though, correct me if I'm wrong. Thought I heard that somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Pickles
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Pickles

PostSubject: Re: Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently)   Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently) EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 3:17 pm

TheJester wrote:
As said in the OP, my main concern is how functional it will be. Not in the sense of the games, but in the sense of how well it will operate in an average house. Every single video showing natal is in a large room with nothing in the background, which presents a HUGE problem. This means you may have to move your coffee table, maybe a couch (doubtful) out of your living room. I think I might have heard (correct me if I'm wrong) that Natal doesn't function too well when many different colors are interfering in the camera's lens, and that its performance is worse with darker colors (basically, it's racist! Razz). Like I said though, correct me if I'm wrong. Thought I heard that somewhere.

Microsoft will probably have to clarify that shit in the upcoming E3. I'll admit, you have me a bit worried Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TheJester
Seaman
Seaman

PostSubject: Re: Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently)   Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently) EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 3:28 pm

Well, I think as long as you have enough room, it'll be fine.

But I hope MS knows what they're doing pricing-wise. If it ends up being $150, good luck to them haha
Back to top Go down
Arbiteris
Four Star General (Moderator)
Arbiteris

PostSubject: Re: Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently)   Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently) EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 3:31 pm

Why the hell wuld you make a thread about Natal when we barely know ANYTHING about it.And when did MS say that all of Natal games will be mini games?
Back to top Go down
TheJester
Seaman
Seaman

PostSubject: Re: Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently)   Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently) EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 3:33 pm

I just felt like discussing, bro. That's all.

And I didn't say it'd be only mini games. I'm saying in things like Fable 3, that's what it'll be used for.
Back to top Go down
am203
Seaman
Seaman

PostSubject: Re: Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently)   Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently) EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 3:59 pm

well its pretty obvious that there won't shooters for it, but the voice recognition could work with something like Ghost Recon. For example you can "move in" or "stealth" and your squad mates could react to it thats all I can think of right now
Back to top Go down
TheJester
Seaman
Seaman

PostSubject: Re: Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently)   Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently) EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 4:10 pm

You can already do that with Tom Clancy's Endwar, though. So I don't think Natal is required for voice commands. Although they might sell a lot if they market it that way.
Back to top Go down
arnt god of war
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
arnt god of war

PostSubject: Re: Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently)   Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently) EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 4:20 pm

TheJester wrote:
the eyetoy used contrast to work natal tracks movement
Back to top Go down
Alan1994
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Alan1994

PostSubject: Re: Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently)   Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently) EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 6:08 pm

I'm buying Natal so I don't have to use my control to navigate the dash, and I'm sure some arcade games would use it in a cool way.

Other than that, I want to tell Milo to "fuck off" so I could see his reactions.

BTW, all motion controllers are gimmicks. You "nonbiased" people on here seem to never mention the fact that the Move is a COMPLETE rip off of the Wiimote. I guess it would get a special mention if the Move was a 360 controller instead amirite?
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently)   Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently) EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 6:18 pm

I personally think that, at least at first, it will not contribute to gaming much. It will be a novelty like eyetoy....except a hundred times better.
I think over time people will get to grips with it's technology and make some great game for it but at the moment....nein! But if it's cheap, I want one. lol it looks fun Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
TheJester
Seaman
Seaman

PostSubject: Re: Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently)   Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently) EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 6:29 pm

Most likely gonna be around $150. I know people are gonna say it's just a rumor, but with Sweden having leaked the price at 1500 Swedish currency ($200 US), it'll be no surprise at $150. We'll see in a few days, though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently)   Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently) EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 6:32 pm

Alan1994 wrote:
I'm buying Natal so I don't have to use my control to navigate the dash, and I'm sure some arcade games would use it in a cool way.

Other than that, I want to tell Milo to "fuck off" so I could see his reactions.

BTW, all motion controllers are gimmicks. You "nonbiased" people on here seem to never mention the fact that the Move is a COMPLETE rip off of the Wiimote. I guess it would get a special mention if the Move was a 360 controller instead amirite?

It isn't a complete rip off, it has way better tech and sense's 3D, unlike the wiimote. But yes, a concept rip off.
Back to top Go down
TheJester
Seaman
Seaman

PostSubject: Re: Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently)   Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently) EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 6:35 pm

Move rips off of the Wii.
Natal rips off of the Eyetoy.

Each is a lot better than what they're ripping off of.

That is all.

Also, navigating the dashboard with Natal would be a lot slower and unreaponsive imo.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently)   Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently) EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 6:56 pm

TheJester wrote:
Move rips off of the Wii.
Natal rips off of the Eyetoy.

Each is a lot better than what they're ripping off of.

That is all.

Also, navigating the dashboard with Natal would be a lot slower and unreaponsive imo.

Well we don't know how slow and unresponsive until E3 or until it is complete.
Back to top Go down
Alchemist
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Alchemist

PostSubject: Re: Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently)   Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently) EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 6:58 pm

I think its kind of pointless to talk about Natal until after E3
Your basing everything off speculation and rumors
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently)   Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently) Empty

Back to top Go down

Natal (Or rather the Wave, apparently)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General Xbox360 Discussion :: 360 vs PS3-
Jump to: