This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

PS3 is more future proof?

Go down 
+4
raspymanic1
DemonWolf
Blixtstorm
Alan1994
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Alan1994
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Alan1994

PS3 is more future proof? Empty
PostSubject: PS3 is more future proof?   PS3 is more future proof? EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 9:13 pm

It can do everything.

I always found this logo to be funny.

The PS3 started as this ambitious console that was set to be a powerhouse in both gaming and media functionality. The original 60 GB PS3 had flash card readers, full backward compatibility, Other OS support, many USB ports, Blu-ray, Built-in Wi-fi, HDMI, etc over the X360.
All of these features I listed, including Blu-ray and Wi-fi, were a huge reason people saw the PS3 being more "future proof" than the Xbox 360.

However, I don't believe this is even remotely the case anymore. Sony removed most of these features in the newer SKUs. And most of the PS3's mutliplatform software lineup are inferior compared to the Xbox 360 counterparts (partly because of the weak and inefficient RSX GPU and no ED-RAM). Now you got the Xbox 360 slim out....250 GB HDD and the fastest built-in Wi-fi of any console with 5 USB ports, and it has been tested to be RROD proof. Add in the fact that the X360 has the most 3rd party support and there you go...

So as far as gaming goes, the PS3 isn't more "future proof". It just isn't....It's been 4-5 years and the X360 still has the upper hand when it comes to multiplats and it also holds its own when it comes to exclusives.

Bu...Bu...what about Blu-ray!?!?!? It has no future. It's barely even an upgrade from DVD, well...not as big as VHS to DVD atleast. The Blu-ray drive on the PS3 actually reads at a slower rate than the DVD-DL drive on the X360(9 mb/s vs 12 mb/s). Digital Distribution on the other hand is a huge jump from DVD. It's not only more convinient but it doesn't require future hardware drives for your TV. Want proof of it's interest? Almost all companies in the movie industry have shown interest in Digital Distribution...even the pro-Blu-ray companies like Disney, Fox, and yes even Sony. Why? Because future technology is going to be supporting higher compressions and resolutions than current technology supports, Blu-ray can't support these format without new equipment, Blu-ray was released with no upgradability, yes there are firmware dates, but those only go so far, it will not allow a machine using 1080p/24 5.1 standard to use 2160p/120 8.1 standard, the machine doesn't have to hardware to do so. Even the PS3 "upgradeable" blu-ray player will be obsolete when BDXL releases.

Microsoft released the Zune Marketplace a while back. Xbox 360 owners can now stream 1080p movies with surround sound instantly without even having to leave their coach. You can stream HD movies without extra hardware required, hell even if you still have a 5 year old Xbox 360. Even with a 4 mbs connection you can get a consistant HD experience thanks to the Silverlight 3.0 engine. And you know what? Their streaming service is better than other services like Netflix and Movies on Demand. When the movie is downloaded and being streamed from your harddrive, the Zune Movie is nearly identical when compared to Blu-ray. Not far into the future we will have much greater internet speeds allowing for movies that are higher than 1080p in resolution.

So as far as I know, the PS3 isn't more "future" proof than the Xbox 360. You can argue the opposite infact.

For more information on BDXL:

http://www.maxconsole.net/content.php?40838-PS3-Blu-ray-drive-just-got-made-obsolete&s=7d7f891137a2022706814e502971daeb&

Last edited by Alan1994 on Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: PS3 is more future proof?   PS3 is more future proof? EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 9:45 pm

Very true. The only real good thing about blu ray is movies can have LOADS and loads of extra content, like the Dark Knight for example, it has so much extra features like behind the scenes, deleted scenes, how it was done, ect. But for gaming blu ray is not necessarly better. And I never used Zune Marketplace but Netflix was horrible quality streaming.
Back to top Go down
Alan1994
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Alan1994

PostSubject: Re: PS3 is more future proof?   PS3 is more future proof? EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 12:16 am

TheJubJub57212 wrote:
Very true. The only real good thing about blu ray is movies can have LOADS and loads of extra content, like the Dark Knight for example, it has so much extra features like behind the scenes, deleted scenes, how it was done, ect. But for gaming blu ray is not necessarly better. And I never used Zune Marketplace but Netflix was horrible quality streaming.

Extras are great, but there are too many advantages to Digital Distribution for people to just ignore.

Zune's streaming quality is a shit ton better than Netflix's. But it's heavily dependant on connection. I have a 4 mb/s connection which is minimum and I get really good quality streaming.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: PS3 is more future proof?   PS3 is more future proof? EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 12:35 am

Alan1994 wrote:
TheJubJub57212 wrote:

Extras are great, but there are too many advantages to Digital Distribution for people to just ignore.

Zune's streaming quality is a shit ton better than Netflix's. But it's heavily dependant on connection. I have a 4 mb/s connection which is minimum and I get really good quality streaming.

I have 5mb/s but recently its been SUPER SUPER SLOW. God damn you Embarq! or Century link, what ever the fuck its name is! Anyways lol, but my problem with digital distribution is that its not like you have infinite space for all these games, so you will have to delete some to make room and you have to redownload them if you want to play them again.
Back to top Go down
Blixtstorm
Four Star General (Moderator)
Blixtstorm

PostSubject: Re: PS3 is more future proof?   PS3 is more future proof? EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 9:25 am

RRoD proof is however not the correct term anymore.

I read that it was a RDoD now Razz

Red Dot of Dead..

The power button will light up red, if something is wrong with it. Not have the ring flashing with 3 red sides.

If the console is more reliable is however a unknown fact so far.. I've had my Jasper since the launch of Jasper in fall 2008.. And still havent got any errors except some freeze up.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Blixtstorm
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: PS3 is more future proof?   PS3 is more future proof? EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 11:42 am

Great read. I pretty much agree with it all. Hell, most of it was facts anyway. Though I have to say, the way Sonys recently been showing a lot of love towards their psp and ps3 leads me to believe that one day the ps3 may overtake 360, even if only by a small margain and only in AAA's. But by then I think everyone will have moved on to the next generation.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
raspymanic1
Master Chief Petty Officer
raspymanic1

PostSubject: Re: PS3 is more future proof?   PS3 is more future proof? EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 11:46 am

demondragondude wrote:
Great read. I pretty much agree with it all. Hell, most of it was facts anyway. Though I have to say, the way Sonys recently been showing a lot of love towards their psp and ps3 leads me to believe that one day the ps3 may overtake 360, even if only by a small margain and only in AAA's. But by then I think everyone will have moved on to the next generation.
sony will make sure it out sales xbox even it it takes 20 years
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: PS3 is more future proof?   PS3 is more future proof? EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 12:15 pm

demondragondude wrote:

Yeah, they took to long to put out an awesome ad campaign, lower prices, ect for it to happen in this gen. By that time there will be another console on the market.
Back to top Go down
Alan1994
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Alan1994

PostSubject: Re: PS3 is more future proof?   PS3 is more future proof? EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 1:56 pm

demondragondude wrote:

They had a small boost with the PS3 slim. But now with the better value X360 slim Microsoft is a step ahead of Sony. As long as Microsoft can keep countering whatever Sony throws at them, they will keep the lead. Simple as that.

As far as AAA games go. The X360 and PS3 seem to be dead even with AAA games. The X360 has more 3rd party support so that means more 3rd party exclusive games and content, but the 1st party IPs that Sony has could be a potential advantage in the future. Whatever, the PS3 was supose to overtake the X360 by the end of 2008. We are half way through 2010 and the X360 still has a 5 million console lead over the PS3.

The PS3 has a good future ahead, but it is by no means "future proof". Plenty of things could go wrong in the future for either console.
Back to top Go down
Alan1994
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Alan1994

PostSubject: Re: PS3 is more future proof?   PS3 is more future proof? EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 1:58 pm

raspymanic1 wrote:
demondragondude wrote:

20 years? Lol by then there will be a PS5 and a 4th Xbox console. I think Sony wouldn't care about the PS3 by then.
Back to top Go down
raspymanic1
raspymanic1

PostSubject: Re: PS3 is more future proof?   PS3 is more future proof? EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 2:04 pm

Alan1994 wrote:
raspymanic1 wrote:
demondragondude wrote:

20 years? Lol by then there will be a PS5 and a 4th Xbox console. I think Sony wouldn't care about the PS3 by then.

lol i was joking but seriously you would have to count from the release date of the xbox 360 to the very last sale and then do the same time frame for the ps3, for the winner
Back to top Go down
Doominator99
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: PS3 is more future proof?   PS3 is more future proof? EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 9:18 am

2 or 3 years later...

Sony: hey everybody we outsold the xbox 360!

Gaming intustry: So? everybody is already playing next-gen consoles

Sony: B... bu... but da sales

Gaming industry: nobody cares about that generation anymore sorry

Sony:But we got da cellz and tha blurayz

Gaming industry:put that in the PS4 if you want but we dont care about the PS3 anymore

Sony:But what about TREY FOR LIFE!

Gaming industry: Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
raspymanic1
raspymanic1

PostSubject: Re: PS3 is more future proof?   PS3 is more future proof? EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 11:46 am

Doominator99 wrote:
2 or 3 years later...

Gaming industry:put that in the PS4 if you want but we dont care about the PS3 anymore

exactly my point
Back to top Go down
GeneralMLD
Five Star General (Admin)
Five Star General (Admin)
GeneralMLD

PostSubject: Re: PS3 is more future proof?   PS3 is more future proof? EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 3:18 am

simple point. Last place consoles never last the longest.

the wii has a better chance then ps3.
Back to top Go down
https://xboxrepublic.forumotion.com
Master_Chief
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Master_Chief

PostSubject: Re: PS3 is more future proof?   PS3 is more future proof? EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 10:47 am

Doominator99 wrote:
2 or 3 years later...

QFT
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: PS3 is more future proof?   PS3 is more future proof? EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 12:08 pm

Doominator99 wrote:
2 or 3 years later...

LOL qft

But even the fanboys will have moved onto ps4 I bet XD
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
Invincible
Fleet Master Chief Petty Officer
Fleet Master Chief Petty Officer
Invincible

PostSubject: Re: PS3 is more future proof?   PS3 is more future proof? EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 5:34 pm

GeneralMLD wrote:

Nintendo is sure to milk the Wii brand for many years to come. They'll eventually change the design and/or add HD 3D to it. Same thing they're doing with their DS line. And people will continue to eat it up.

Don't forget the PS2 was just released in some South American & Asian markets last year. It might not count towards the console wars, but Sony will keep selling PS2 and PS3 long after we've moved on to the next thing.

Back to top Go down
Alan1994
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Alan1994

PostSubject: Re: PS3 is more future proof?   PS3 is more future proof? EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 10:32 pm

Invincible wrote:
GeneralMLD wrote:

Nintendo is sure to milk the Wii brand for many years to come. They'll eventually change the design and/or add HD 3D to it. Same thing they're doing with their DS line. And people will continue to eat it up.

Don't forget the PS2 was just released in some South American & Asian markets last year. It might not count towards the console wars, but Sony will keep selling PS2 and PS3 long after we've moved on to the next thing.

hmmm.. Interesting. But what generation will the Wii HD be part of??? I mean technically new hardware= new console doesn't it? Unless Nintendo has been holding out on us and could bring HD via firmware update.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: PS3 is more future proof?   PS3 is more future proof? EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 11:13 pm

Alan1994 wrote:
Invincible wrote:
GeneralMLD wrote:

hmmm.. Interesting. But what generation will the Wii HD be part of??? I mean technically new hardware= new console doesn't it? Unless Nintendo has been holding out on us and could bring HD via firmware update.

They couldnt bring HD via firmware because the the AV output on the Wii isnt HD compatible. The Wii HD will probably be next gen though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PS3 is more future proof?   PS3 is more future proof? Empty

Back to top Go down

PS3 is more future proof?
Page 1 of 1