This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Can't be done on 360, what does it mean?

Go down 
+8
Stigma
Stoney
resistance354
GeneralMLD
Alan1994
daveMastaKill
Pein
DemonWolf
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Can't be done on 360, what does it mean? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Can't be done on 360, what does it mean?   Can't be done on 360, what does it mean? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 1:34 pm

demondragondude wrote:
TheJubJub57212 wrote:
demondragondude wrote:

Yeah!
Thing is, I may be wrong but from what I've seen on both systems, here are the flaws of both:

Ps3 - doesn't have the best texture detail even in the best looking games. Sure it has amazing graphics but texture detail wise, I've so far not seen one game that looks as good as Perfect Dark Zero on 360. Neutral
360 - It has late texture pop-in. Or whatever it's called...
It happens in Gears, Mass Effect and probably more games I can't remember right now but I think it can handle better detail up close.

So..... I reckon that if most 360 exclusives were ported to ps3, there may be a sliiiight, tinny difference in texture details.
And if 360 got ps3 exclusives they may have that texture pop in.

Neither is that bad tbh.

I have noticed both of those from playing both systems. The late texture pop ups happen but arent really anything major. But the texture detail aint that bad either, so just minor issues. But I think that the texture details is because the GPU on the PS3 is not as strong so the CPU has to take some of the load off of it.

Yeah maybe.. lol I don't really know for sure tbh. I am no expert on this subject at all XD

Btw I was at a friends house yesterday and he's not played LBP in a few months and the updates took literally a whole hour XD
It was ridiculous. lol

I KNOW!! I had that game when I had my PS3 and the updates took freaking hours. They were like a GB a piece, no help from PSN's incredibly slow download speed too. Same with Socom and MAG.
Back to top Go down
Alan1994
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Alan1994

PostSubject: Re: Can't be done on 360, what does it mean?   Can't be done on 360, what does it mean? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 1:55 pm

Freemon34-YT wrote:
Alan1994 wrote:

Sorry bud, but there is too many things wrong with what you said.

A) The large bulk of the content in MGS4 is duplicated data and cinematic cutscene vids, kind of like FFXIII (6.8 GBs game content, 32 GBs cutscenes). With better compression and use of the X360's architecture strengths like the eDRAM and such they could make the game fit on one disc. An Xbox 360 game disc can store 6.8 GBs of game content. Which is more than enough for MOST games. If games need more than one disc, oh well. >.> You probably watched Wipeout's "The conclusion of MGS4 on the Xbox 360" or something like that, where he spreads unsupported conspiracies with a bunch of technical jargon that hardly makes sense to the less tech savy (He said MGS4 would take like 17 discs on the Xbox 360 >.>).

B) Teh CELLL!!! No but seriously. The Xbox 360's Xenon Processor is composed of 3 cores, and the Cell is composed of 1 core and 5 usable SPEs for game purposes. In terms of power the Cell is only better than the Xenon by a very small margian. However the Cell can be used for multiple GPU processes while it is much much harder to do so on the Xenon Processor. Your theory about the Cell tipping the balance falls short when you consider the fact that the Xenos GPU (Xbox 360) is twice as strong as the RSX GPU (PS3).

A) Yeah, I watched Wipeout's vid like a year ago or something and couldn't even care less because he said stuff like MS putting more protecton on multiple discs or some BS like that. Any way, the eDRAM in the 360 doesn't cut down on the space needed, what the eDRAM in the 360 does is render video that usually streams in a lower resolution and make it run in a higher resolution. Look at RDR, the PS3 version runs in 576p, but do to the eDRAM in the 360, its 720p. and if you do the math right where redundent assets take up almost 2 GBs of a disk and protection software takes up another 2 GBs, that gives them 5 GBs at most for a 9GB duel layer DVD. Meaning a 39GB game like MGS would take Discs. Also, the PS3 version of Final Fantasy took 32GB the 360 version was only 18 and do to the fact that the redundent assets were small they could fit it on 3 discs.

B) The CELL's PPE has a processing power of 3.2 GHz, the 360's 3 cores can also total up to 3.2 GHz, but the PS3 has a SPE which reads security data constantly, one SPE for mandated for the XMB, and 5 SPE's that the devopers can use to their heart's content. Also, yes the Xenos is stronger then the RSX, because it has eDRAM and unified RAM, but as I said before, its an arguement of space, because if you have more space the more options you have, because the Cell can use any amount of those spare SPEs for graphical processing. And when you ment that it had a stronger GPU, I hope you ment in anti aliasing, because thats where the 360's Xenos really shines over the PS3's RSX, because of that unified RAM which allows it to do multiple functions faster than the RSX, but if you are talking about pure speed in genral the RSX is a 550MHz chip, and the Xenos is a 500MHz chip. But alround if you wanna get into pipelines and transactions in graphics, yes the Xenos has a serious advantage mono-a-mono with RSX.

A) No, No, No. That's NOT what the eDRAM does. The eDRAM is essentially free ultra-fast memory that the Xenos can access. Framebuffers and Anti-aliasing takes up alot of RAM. 720p with 4xAA takes up 30 MBs of RAM, but with the eDRAM it only takes up 7 MBs since developers can split the buffer into seperate "tiles" that can be stored partly on the 10 MBs of eDRAM. With the extra memory, developers can store more textures via RAM and less on the actual storage medium. Redundant assets aren't 2 GBs. It depends soley on how much assets from the first disc that the 2nd disc needs for the game experience to feel unchanged. It could be 200 MBs, or it could be 5 GBs, there isn't a set quantity of storage space. FFXIII used alot of pre-rendered video scenes, approximately 32 GBs of the uncompressed PS3 version were cutscenes alone. Hell, not even 1080p Blu-ray Movies take up 32 GBs! Square Enix used Bink Video which compresses video down, but degrades the quality in the process.

B) The frequency at which a CPU or GPU runs at is not sheer Processing power. The Cell PPE runs at 3.2 GHz. Each core on the X360 is extremely similar to the PPE. So each core runs 3.2 GHz respectively. The Cell SPEs can help the GPU by handling some functions because the hardware threads aren't as segregated as the Xenon's tri-core system. Don't confuse disc storage mediums with RAM. With RAM developers can store 50 times as much textures. Crysis on the PC uses 1 GB RAM of textures, if they were stored via a storage medium it would have filled an entire dual-layered Blu-ray disc and then some. I say that the Xenos is better than the RSX not because of sheer power, but because of how much more efficient it is with memory. The Xenos can store twice as much textures with the same amount of space, on top of the eDRAM helping out with AA and Framebuffers. The Xeno can essentially do MORE with LESS. This is a HUGE advantage. Forget the fact that the Xenos has twice the shader pipelines, forget the fact that the Xenos has a much better shader architecture and a bigger fillrate.......It's all about the efficiency on top of whatever advantage the Xenos has over the RSX. Limited RAM...That's the biggest bottleneck of both consoles. TBH.
Back to top Go down
Inuboy1000
Fleet Master Chief Petty Officer
Fleet Master Chief Petty Officer
Inuboy1000

PostSubject: Re: Can't be done on 360, what does it mean?   Can't be done on 360, what does it mean? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 2:10 pm

Saying it can't be done on 360 is an over exaggeration by PS3 fanboys. What it means is that OH TEH GRAPHICS can't be done on 360. People are saying MGS4's graphics can't be done on 360, yet Metal Gear Solid: Rising has better graphics than MGS4. Whenever I see that saying I facepalm myself due to the person who wrote its idiocracy.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Inuboy1000z
Master_Chief
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Master_Chief

PostSubject: Re: Can't be done on 360, what does it mean?   Can't be done on 360, what does it mean? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 2:45 pm

FullMetalKendo wrote:
Saying it can't be done on 360 is an over exaggeration by PS3 fanboys. What it means is that OH TEH GRAPHICS can't be done on 360. People are saying MGS4's graphics can't be done on 360, yet Metal Gear Solid: Rising has better graphics than MGS4. Whenever I see that saying I facepalm myself due to the person who wrote its idiocracy.
QFT
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
Four Star General (Moderator)
Four Star General (Moderator)
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: Can't be done on 360, what does it mean?   Can't be done on 360, what does it mean? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 5:00 pm

FullMetalKendo wrote:

Wow, is it just me or are your posts better now that you have a new account, Kendo? Very Happy

I agree with you.
QFT QFT QFT
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can't be done on 360, what does it mean?   Can't be done on 360, what does it mean? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Can't be done on 360, what does it mean?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General Xbox360 Discussion :: 360 vs PS3-
Jump to: