This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log in  

MLD Archives #1: Why I honestly do not care for Sony.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
GeneralMLD
Five Star General (Admin)
GeneralMLD

MLD Archives #1: Why I honestly do not care for Sony.  Empty
PostSubject: MLD Archives #1: Why I honestly do not care for Sony.    MLD Archives #1: Why I honestly do not care for Sony.  EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 1:02 am

This will be the first in many articles that I will write describing my inner most thoughts on me and the gaming industry.

This entry is about why I honestly have no respect for Sony in the industry and why I feel they got what they deserved now by loosing the most marketshare in video game history. This doesn't mean I have no respect for those who like Sony and what they offer (unless they are PS3 fanboys). What people like and what they choose to spend their money on is their business. However I am old enough to think beyond my own needs as a gamer. As a student of business, I am trained to think of every angle from a business point of view. It is from looking at the video game industry from a business point of view rather then a mere gamer/consumer point of view do I see that Sony is simply a cancer to the gaming industry. This generation is the first step into what I hope will lead to Sony either being a minor player in the industry, or best case scenerio, go the Sega route and be a strict 3rd party developer. Here is my rationale.

Sony released the PS1 and due to be being younger gamer at the time, I didn't see the PS1 as anything other then a game console that I was curious about. Offcourse I ended up getting a Nintendo 64 and stuck it out with that (and had zero regrets). Looking back on that generation now I see that Sony began to do what many people don't like: create a monopoly. Now many people will be thinking: how could you say that when Microsoft has a monopoly in the OS market; and you don't seem to mind? My answer to that is simply different markets require different methods of being handled. I personally think the OS market is better off with a majority OS like Windows with minor players fighting for the scraps like Apple (currently with 10% marketshare). This way it creates less compatibility issues since most people are using the same thing. The console industry on the other hand is one I truly believe needs healthy competition to survive and prosper. It is in the generation of the PS1 where Sony began to seize all the developers for themselves and begin to choke out the life of Nintendo and especially Sega.

With the PS2, looking back now as I type this, is where Sony went too far. Because of Sony, Sega went out of business as a console manufacturer. Those who are still loyal to Sega and the Dreamcast, I am surprised they don't loathe Sony as much, or even more so then I do, for what they did to their favourite console company. Sony choked the life out of the Dreamcast. There was no room to grow. With PS2 hype through the roof and with Gamecube and the XBox around the corner, Sega thought it best to call it quits. Sony did an excellent job of securing the 3rd party industry in their pockets, effectively choking the life and potential to grow from Nintendo and Microsoft. Being released a year sooner, combined with the ability to reduce the price at a faster rate, made PS2 even more available to the market. PS2 ended the generation with a 70% market share...with Nintendo and Microsoft picking up the scraps. That, is not healthy competition.

In the PS2 generation, as gamers, you all probably didn't see it from this point of view. You were all content and happy with your PS2, buying all their vast exclusives from 1st and 3rd party developers. You were happy and didn't have a care in the world. Yet Sega went out of the console manufacturing business. Microsoft had to claw and scratch for every console sold, even though they invested in the Xbox Live infrastructure, and making the Xbox vastly superior to the PS2 (from a hardware standpoint) in every concievable way. Nintendo, once the king of gaming, was reduced to last place of the generation, 3rd parties all but cut off the Gamecube (forcing them to go the casual route to gain back their marketshare with Wii), and all Gamecube had was their 1st party offerings, with the occasional 3rd party exclusive like Re4 to keep them chugging along. Profit cuts, fiscal losses, and layoffs were common with Microsoft and Nintendo in that generation, but all you gamers again, probably didn't care. I personally think being a true gamer isn't about just having a passion for gaming, but for the industry that provides you with such entertainment. By taking an interest in the industry itself can you truly call yourself a gamer (IMO).

Finally Sony with the PS3 is what really gets me. They were so full of themselves, their heads so far up their collective asses over the victory with the PS1 and especially the PS2 that they thought they could do no wrong. The 360 was all ready out and would get a year head start and the Wii was taking a risky route with motion gaming. But Sony wasn't worried. They figured they make an overpriced console at $600 and due to their fans being so overly loyal to their brand, they figured PS3's would fly off the shelves even if the PS3 was priced at $1000 or more. Coupled with their arrogance was their knowledge that PSN wouldn't compare to Live for years to come, that the PS3 would get inferior multiplats for years to come, plus wouldn't get any true system selling exclusives until Metal Gear Solid 4, which released in 2008, marking the official PS3 comeback of this generation. Their over confidence is what really makes me have no respect for Sony. They lost sight of making a mass market friendly console (which is what PS1 and PS2 were known for). Instead focused on making a niche console that they thought would sell just as well. Thankfully Sony paid for their arrogance and how hold the record for loosing the most market share in gaming history (previously held by Nintendo going from SNES to N64).

My vision of the perfect industry? It's kinda what it is like now. Nintendo rules the casual market and Microsoft rules the core, with Sony picking up the hardcore marketshare scraps from Europe and Japan where Microsoft simply doesn't reach. I am not asking for a monopoly for Microsoft. To the contrary, I feel Microsoft and Nintendo can work in harmony. Each one simply can't, I repeat, can't duplicate the near monopoly Sony achieved. Nintendo has gone down the mostly casual route, and I think there is no going back. They will get the casuals but the core gamers will be looking for something else. That is where Microsoft comes in. Microsoft also can't duplicate Sony's monopoly due to them simply not having great appeal in Western Europe and Japan. You need global appeal to create a monopoly and Microsoft simply doesn't have that. Nintendo and Microsoft, neither has the potential to completely rule the console industry alone, but together I believe they can create a peaceful coexistence, kind of like how they are now. What Sony does is anyones guess now that they have fallen from the top and paid for their misplaced confidence. But I can simply tell you that it is best for the industry, for the sake of healthy competition, that Sony never wins a generation ever again.

Thanks for reading, hope to bring you more articles soon on various gaming subjects. Ideas are welcome.

X Cellence 4 Life.

Last edited by GeneralMLD on Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://xboxrepublic.forumotion.com
ghost23
Four Star General (Moderator)

PostSubject: Re: MLD Archives #1: Why I honestly do not care for Sony.    MLD Archives #1: Why I honestly do not care for Sony.  EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 2:56 am

Great article MLD. And its all true. Sony's pure greed of creating a monopoly and then trying to cash in on that it the thing i hate most of them. They are basically fucking over all their fans even if the fans are too blind to see it.
Back to top Go down
Blixtstorm
Blixtstorm

PostSubject: Re: MLD Archives #1: Why I honestly do not care for Sony.    MLD Archives #1: Why I honestly do not care for Sony.  EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 4:08 am

Great reading.

And i agree with most of the things you mentioned, except for one thing.

You see, East Europe does not buy consoles at all, most gaming consoles are divided by the "rich" nations of the European continent. East Europe, mostly former Soviet states do not take part in "our" way of entertain but are merely getting there slowly.

And the populace of west Europe is more fond of Sony and Nintendo for only one reason.... they are not American. You see most European nations think of the US of the "big arrogant bully".

So the simple reason is:

Japan > USA

which leads to:

Sony, Nintendo > Microsoft

Its just a cultural thing. And the only nation in Europe with larger marketshare for the 360 is England, not the united Kingdom, but England. Every other nation in Europe have a bigger share for Sony PS3...
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Blixtstorm
raspymanic1
Master Chief Petty Officer
raspymanic1

PostSubject: Re: MLD Archives #1: Why I honestly do not care for Sony.    MLD Archives #1: Why I honestly do not care for Sony.  EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 9:32 am

totally agree. i jumped from dreamcast to xbox all because of sony and ive hoped for a console to woop sonys ass for a long time, xbox 360 FTW
Back to top Go down
Pein
Pein

PostSubject: Re: MLD Archives #1: Why I honestly do not care for Sony.    MLD Archives #1: Why I honestly do not care for Sony.  EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 9:36 am

ive been a sony fan for long and i think they really fucked up this generation,the xbox 360 is the most ideal console for gaming this generation while the ps3 is for blu-ray movies,nintendo is for the casual gamers,i think microsoft did a fantastic job this generation and i think in the future,microsoft will do the same and even better,nice article mld
Back to top Go down
GeneralMLD
GeneralMLD

PostSubject: Re: MLD Archives #1: Why I honestly do not care for Sony.    MLD Archives #1: Why I honestly do not care for Sony.  EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 11:37 am

Blixtstorm wrote:
Great reading.

And i agree with most of the things you mentioned, except for one thing.

You see, East Europe does not buy consoles at all, most gaming consoles are divided by the "rich" nations of the European continent. East Europe, mostly former Soviet states do not take part in "our" way of entertain but are merely getting there slowly.

And the populace of west Europe is more fond of Sony and Nintendo for only one reason.... they are not American. You see most European nations think of the US of the "big arrogant bully".

So the simple reason is:

Japan > USA

which leads to:

Sony, Nintendo > Microsoft

Its just a cultural thing. And the only nation in Europe with larger marketshare for the 360 is England, not the united Kingdom, but England. Every other nation in Europe have a bigger share for Sony PS3...

oh my mistake, thats what i meant. ill change it to western europe.

X Cellence 4 Life.
Back to top Go down
https://xboxrepublic.forumotion.com
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: MLD Archives #1: Why I honestly do not care for Sony.    MLD Archives #1: Why I honestly do not care for Sony.  EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 5:01 pm

Very interesting "article". I think I agree to a certain extent except I don't see how you can hate a company just for being good at what they do. I mean, yes, they were arrogant with the launch of the ps3. But before that, they just had the better systems. Ps1 and Ps2 won for a reason and I can't criticise them for doing that. Were I a ps1 or ps2 fan, I would love Sony for it.
Though I was a Gamecube owner and happy with it (I didn't know about console wars then). then bought a ps2 many years later (and still prefer gamecube overall even though some of my favourite games are on ps2). Then I bought a ps1 and n64 on the same day later on. Preferred n64.
Now looking back, I reckon I'd probably prefer Xbox over all 3.

It sounds like I'm making no sense but I have a point. The reason I'm saying all this is that Sony didn't "choke" the systems. They definately did dominate but I was satisfied with the other systems game offerings. They each had their own decent flagship titles and while ps2 dominated it wasn't bad to be another system owner.

But other than that. Excellent topic. Very good points and it's an interesting read too.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: MLD Archives #1: Why I honestly do not care for Sony.    MLD Archives #1: Why I honestly do not care for Sony.  EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 5:02 pm

AndrejTheReviewer wrote:
ive been a sony fan for long and i think they really fucked up this generation,the xbox 360 is the most ideal console for gaming this generation while the ps3 is for blu-ray movies,nintendo is for the casual gamers,i think microsoft did a fantastic job this generation and i think in the future,microsoft will do the same and even better,nice article mld

Lies. You say you prefer ps3 Razz
Back to top Go down
Freemon34'
Freemon34'

PostSubject: Re: MLD Archives #1: Why I honestly do not care for Sony.    MLD Archives #1: Why I honestly do not care for Sony.  EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 6:06 pm

demondragondude wrote:
AndrejTheReviewer wrote:

Run Andrej run lol
Back to top Go down
Pein
Pein

PostSubject: Re: MLD Archives #1: Why I honestly do not care for Sony.    MLD Archives #1: Why I honestly do not care for Sony.  EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 6:13 pm

demondragondude wrote:
AndrejTheReviewer wrote:

well i actually think both are the same for me,but i play my 360 a bit more than my ps3 so yeah,i think this generation microsoft won over sony
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: MLD Archives #1: Why I honestly do not care for Sony.    MLD Archives #1: Why I honestly do not care for Sony.  EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 6:18 pm

AndrejTheReviewer wrote:
demondragondude wrote:
AndrejTheReviewer wrote:

well i actually think both are the same for me,but i play my 360 a bit more than my ps3 so yeah,i think this generation microsoft won over sony

Oh okay. I remember a short while back you said you liked your ps3 more. lol Well nevermind, that's cool. xD

Back to top Go down
Pein
Pein

PostSubject: Re: MLD Archives #1: Why I honestly do not care for Sony.    MLD Archives #1: Why I honestly do not care for Sony.  EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 6:22 pm

demondragondude wrote:
AndrejTheReviewer wrote:
demondragondude wrote:
AndrejTheReviewer wrote:

Oh okay. I remember a short while back you said you liked your ps3 more. lol Well nevermind, that's cool. xD

well yes i did,but i play the 360 more often and i think both consoles are equal for me now
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: MLD Archives #1: Why I honestly do not care for Sony.    MLD Archives #1: Why I honestly do not care for Sony.  EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 6:29 pm

AndrejTheReviewer wrote:
demondragondude wrote:
AndrejTheReviewer wrote:
demondragondude wrote:
AndrejTheReviewer wrote:

well yes i did,but i play the 360 more often and i think both consoles are equal for me now

Okie dokie. That's pretty cool. Prevents you being too fanboyish lol
Back to top Go down
Doominator99
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: MLD Archives #1: Why I honestly do not care for Sony.    MLD Archives #1: Why I honestly do not care for Sony.  EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 4:42 pm

Hopefully sony have learnt from there mistakes and next gen they will do better
Back to top Go down
Freemon34'
Freemon34'

PostSubject: Re: MLD Archives #1: Why I honestly do not care for Sony.    MLD Archives #1: Why I honestly do not care for Sony.  EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 7:18 pm

Doominator99 wrote:
Hopefully sony have learnt from there mistakes and next gen they will do better

Same, I have a feeling if the next nintendo console goes casual like the wii, it'll flop. Mostly all my friends have a wii and most of them agree that they fell into the hype.
Back to top Go down
Noelol
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Noelol

PostSubject: Re: MLD Archives #1: Why I honestly do not care for Sony.    MLD Archives #1: Why I honestly do not care for Sony.  EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 10:36 pm

Reading....can't you just make a video?
Jk.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MLD Archives #1: Why I honestly do not care for Sony.    MLD Archives #1: Why I honestly do not care for Sony.  Empty

Back to top Go down

MLD Archives #1: Why I honestly do not care for Sony.
Page 1 of 1