This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log in  

MLD Archives #3: The relevance of timed exclusivity.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
GeneralMLD
Five Star General (Admin)
GeneralMLD

MLD Archives #3: The relevance of timed exclusivity. Empty
PostSubject: MLD Archives #3: The relevance of timed exclusivity.   MLD Archives #3: The relevance of timed exclusivity. EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 3:09 pm

This entry is about timed exclusivity and how its especially relevant today. Timed exclusivity has always been around, but due to gaming costs being the highest its ever been, coupled with Microsoft at a disadvantage due to them owning the least amount of 1st party developers, the use of timed exclusivity has never been used more then this very generation. Microsoft knows their in-house studios can't pump out the number of games as Nintendo and Sony so they came up with the idea of using 3rd party studios. For a fee, Microsoft secures the first release of a major 3rd party game. Whether telling the public its timed or giving the illusion it's exclusive is irrelevant: Microsoft has elevated timed exclusivity to the point where its like a science to them. Microsoft, unlike any company before this generation, has never used timed exclusivity to the point of making a release "almost" as if it was an exclusive itself, taking all the spotlight and leaving the other versions forgotten by history. I personally think this is an excellent tactic to combat Sony and Nintendo's numerous 1st party studios. Here is how I feel this strategy works for the prosperity of a console.

Sales estimates courtesy of Vgchartz.com. Some games were timed exclusives while PS3 wasn't out yet. Doesn't change the fact that some of these 360 games did at some point have timed exclusivity or at least a timed multiplat release before the PS3 version came out. Careful, what you are about to see is the painful truth that timed exclusivity works very, very well.

Fight Night Round 3 (360): Released February 20, 2006. Sold 2.05 Million.
Fight Night Round 3 (PS3): Released December 5, 2006. Sold 0.95 Million.

Oblivion (360): Released March 20, 2006. Sold 3.05 Million.
Oblivion (PS3): Released March 20, 2007. Sold 1.30 Million.

Rainbow 6 Vegas (360): Released November 20, 2006. Sold 1.97 Million.
Rainbow 6 Vegas (PS3): Released June 26, 2007. Sold 0.50 Million.

Splinter Cell Double Agent (360): Released October 17, 2006. Sold 1.17 Million.
Splinter Cell Double Agent (PS3): Released March 30, 2007. Sold 0.18 Million.

Orange Box (360): Released October 10, 2007. Sold 1.13 Million.
Orange Box (PS3): Released December 11, 2007. Sold 0.23 Million.

Ghost Recon 2 (360): Released March 5, 2007. Sold 1.47 Million.
Ghost Recon 2 (PS3): Released August 23, 2007. Sold 0.45 Million.

Rock Band 2 (360): Released September 14, 2008. Sold 2.07 Million.
Rock Band 2 (PS3): Released October 19, 2008. Sold 0.95 Million.

Bioshock (360): Released August 21, 2007. Sold 2.57 Million.
Bioshock (PS3): Released October 21st, 2008. Sold 0.62 Million.

Lost Planet (360): Released January 12, 2007. Sold 1.83 Million (not including LP: Colonies sales).
Lost Planet (PS3): Released February 26, 2008. Sold 0.50 Million.

Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City (360): Released October 29, 2009. Sold 1.47 (Not including LIVE purchases of over 500k)
Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City (PS3): Released April 16, 2010. Sold 0.76 Million.

Ninja Gaiden 2 (360): Released June 5, 2008. Sold 0.97 Million.
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 (PS3): Released September 29, 2009. Sold 0.51 Million.

Even timed exclusivity works on titles that appeal to the japanese market. The sales gap is smaller offcourse but Microsoft actually made the right move by securing the first release for Japanese market titles.

Tales Of Vesperia (360): Released August 26, 2008. Sold 0.51 Million.
Tales of Vesperia (PS3): Released September 17, 2009. Sold 0.35 Million.

Star Ocean: The Last Hope (360): Released February 24, 2009. Sold 0.63 Million.
Star Ocean: The Last Hope (PS3): Released February 4, 2010. Sold 0.34 Million.

Eternal Sonata (360): Released September 17, 2007. Sold 0.25 Million.
Eternal Sonata (PS3): Released October 21, 2008. Sold 0.17 Million.

To an extent, even timed exclusivity of DLC can sway the purchase of a retail title. Both examples are games that gamers knew the 360 would be getting timed exclusivity of the DLC. Here are the results.

Modern Warfare 2 (360): Same day release. Sold 11.27 Million.
Modern Warfare 2 (PS3): Same day release. Sold 8.28 Million.

Fallout 3 (360): Same day release. Sold 3.18 Million.
Fallout 3 (PS3): Same day release. Sold 2.23 Million.

As you can see, Microsoft sees the potential of being out first. Gamers are inherently an impatient group. If they are single console owners and have to wait (only PS3 gamers), they pretend they have the patience but in reality they curse Microsoft for the crime of making them wait to play a game they want. The biggest examples (IMO) are Bioshock, Rock Band 2, and GTA4:EFLC, and Lost Planet. Either gamers knew they were timed exclusive and thus couldn't wait (who waits when there is an option to play now....) or Microsoft played a more devious tactic and made the market believe those games would never come to the PS3. When PS3 did get those games, the damage was all ready done. Gamers who thought the game wasn't coming to PS3 all ready purchased the game for 360 or PC, thus Sony missed out on the revenue while Microsoft raked it in. Its a beautiful business tactic when you think about it. It is the perfect way to give your console a temporary spike while giving your competitor the scraps, the beauty of it all is that these are multiplats we are talking about. Microsoft is simply robbing Sony of all revenue of many major 3rd party games. As a business student I can't help but smile at the brilliance of it all.

While many PS3 versions didn't offer anything new, in fact they were downright inferior ports, there is the question of some PS3 versions actually having more content then the 360 version. Many PS3 gamers argue this makes their version superior. Perhaps........but first I would like to point out that from a console war perspective that means nothing. Microsoft could care less that the PS3 version has more content. They are laughing all the way to the bank with how well their version sold compared to the PS3 versions, which usually tank by comparison. Also is simply a matter of majority rule. History will remember Bioshock as a great "360/PC" game. History will remember Lost Planet 1 as a great "360" game. History will by contrast forget the existance of the PS3 versions. Why? Because most people didn't play those games. They played them when they were fresh on the 360 and by the time the PS3 version was out they moved on to more current gaming offerings. The majority simply drown out the minority. Whats the point of having the "superior" game if you had to wait to a point until it was obscure and out of style, and if your version will be rendered as near non-existant in the eyes of history? Not to mention that if you are a fanboy that getting the version late doesn't help Sony at all...as they are only getting the scraps that Microsoft left behind.

Let me put it this way for the early 360 version adopters and the late PS3 ports that had were actually inferior. Microsoft wants money. We want games. Microsoft pays money so we can play games before the competition. We feel like first class gamers for having the privelage of getting games first while the theoretically lower class gamers have to wait. Its like we are eating dinner while your pet dog is waiting by your chair for you to throw it a scrap when your finished.

Now the big issue, regarding early 360 games followed by late PS3 versions with extra content. It's like your at a party, having a great time. Then this guy comes 3 hours late to the party. Sure he brought with him a bottle of wine to make up for his absense (wine representing extra PS3 content), but that late guest just can't help but feel he missed out on the party. The party is begining to die down; the best times were all ready had. And now the late guest is trying to get the party going again (with little luck, hence the bad PS3 version sales), using his wine as a ice breaker. This represents that by the time the PS3 version comes along, even with extra content, the game is all ready out of style. The mass majority of the crowd moved on to more current things. Got more content in Bioshock? Who cares..... we beat that game over a year ago and moved on. PS3 gamers say we beta test their games. I say no matter now you slice it, no matter what content is added, we are the first class gamers and they only taste our sloppy seconds. Only the privelaged get things first.

So this topic might be a bit controversal, as the stance on timed exclusivity is varied. From a business point of view its a stroke of genius. Microsoft gets the most money and the game could even be a system seller (like Bioshock) where as Sony merely gets the scraps. From a gaming point of view I can understand how some may like the idea of getting games first but how some are irritated for their game not having the most content. If you are irritated if the PS3 version has more content, think of it this way: you got the game first and you enjoyed it. Now that your done, you can move on to newer and better things while they are stuck in the past playing something you played a year ago. Chances are they talk big about the extra content, but stick to the origional content most of the time.

X Cellence 4 Life.

Last edited by GeneralMLD on Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://xboxrepublic.forumotion.com
Pein
Four Star General (Moderator)
Pein

PostSubject: Re: MLD Archives #3: The relevance of timed exclusivity.   MLD Archives #3: The relevance of timed exclusivity. EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 4:49 pm

i agree 100 percent with this article,i still cant believe i bought splinter cell double agent on the ps3 and it was shit,it was soo laggy,it was like playing the game on a old pc,i was almost gonna buy lost planet on the ps3 but instead i got it on the 360,and one of the biggest reasons for me getting the 360 was for the episodes for liberty city,but when i beated both dlc's,rockstar announces that it will come for the ps3,and i wasnt angry at all,because i already finished it and waiting wouldve been pointless because at that time i wouldve probably forgotten about episodes for liberty city for the ps3,my friend has oblivion for the ps3 and its soo slow compared to the 360 version,thats the same thing with fallout 3 and rainbow six vegas,some of those games,i regret buying them on the ps3 (especially splinter cell double agent) but still im happy i didnt got some of the games for the ps3 because i have them on my 360 and i might buy splinter cell double agent on my 360 for the better version lol!
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: MLD Archives #3: The relevance of timed exclusivity.   MLD Archives #3: The relevance of timed exclusivity. EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 6:25 pm

I definately agree for the most part, you make very interesting and valid points.

Though personally I'd prefer MS to just grab more exclusives. They've got some first party studios, why can't they make them squeeze a couple more games per year?
I'm guessing that Crytek's Kingdoms game is still going to ps3, just later.

I understand from a business standpoint it is a pretty smart thing to do but from a gamer's standpoint it's kind of annoying to see the company who made your system paying all this cash to get a game 30 days earlier than the competition when they could put it to better use.

But yeah, it has it's advantages. And a saving grace is that even today a lot of XBox 360 games, perhaps not always in content, but in gameplay (framerate, no screen tearing, etc) and graphics (less blocky, higher resolution, better effects, etc) , are better than the ps3 version.

Btw Mld, great entry but one quick thing I need to point out.... you need to spell "then" as "than" when comparing. Eg: better THAN. Then is used when referring to time-related stuff, eg: i'm doing this and that, THEN i'm doing something else".
lol I'm not a grammar nazi, but I needed to point that out. Razz

But anyway, that was really interesting to read and I really enjoy your "mld archives". They're g0Ood

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: MLD Archives #3: The relevance of timed exclusivity.   MLD Archives #3: The relevance of timed exclusivity. EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 6:27 pm

Oh and those sales figures were shocking! Oblivion, under 2 million on ps3? That's ridiculous! The game's AAA, it's a masterpiece! One of the best rpg's ever. I thought sony fans loved rpg's.
Back to top Go down
GeneralMLD
GeneralMLD

PostSubject: Re: MLD Archives #3: The relevance of timed exclusivity.   MLD Archives #3: The relevance of timed exclusivity. EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 11:26 pm

demondragondude wrote:
Oh and those sales figures were shocking! Oblivion, under 2 million on ps3? That's ridiculous! The game's AAA, it's a masterpiece! One of the best rpg's ever. I thought sony fans loved rpg's.

they even shocked me. I had no idea the bioshock and oblivion figures were so one sided.

What really surprised me was the Japanese titles and how the 360 versions maintained an overall sales lead compared to the PS3 versions.

X Cellence 4 Life.
Back to top Go down
https://xboxrepublic.forumotion.com
Freemon34'
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer
Freemon34'

PostSubject: Re: MLD Archives #3: The relevance of timed exclusivity.   MLD Archives #3: The relevance of timed exclusivity. EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 11:56 pm

Good article. I mean sure some of these like Fight Night and Oblivion are because of the release dates of the consoles but still very valid points for games like Fallout, GTA, etc.

You might have wanna put the sales for games like BFBC2, because the PS3 got an exclusive beta, but the 360 still outsold it.
Back to top Go down
Blixtstorm
Blixtstorm

PostSubject: Re: MLD Archives #3: The relevance of timed exclusivity.   MLD Archives #3: The relevance of timed exclusivity. EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 4:27 am

demondragondude wrote:

No.

Since Crytek is co-deveoping it with Microsoft Games Studios, there is a chance of 0,000000001% of it hitting the Sony PS3 Platform.

However, there is a quite big chance of it hitting the PC....
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Blixtstorm
ghost23

PostSubject: Re: MLD Archives #3: The relevance of timed exclusivity.   MLD Archives #3: The relevance of timed exclusivity. EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 5:21 am

Very true. Episodes from Liberty City was a great example. When it first came out on 360 the media was raving over it and it sold like crazy. Once it came out on PS3, there was maybe one article and low sales.
At the rate that new games are being pumped out these days, games normally stay in the media for a month or so and then drop out, unless they have continual support like ME2.
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: MLD Archives #3: The relevance of timed exclusivity.   MLD Archives #3: The relevance of timed exclusivity. EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 11:41 am

GeneralMLD wrote:
demondragondude wrote:

they even shocked me. I had no idea the bioshock and oblivion figures were so one sided.

What really surprised me was the Japanese titles and how the 360 versions maintained an overall sales lead compared to the PS3 versions.

Yeah! lol They sold badly on both systems (Japanese games) but the fact that 360 outsold them truly is a surprise!
That really emphasises the fail of most ps3 owners.

Blixtstorm wrote:
demondragondude wrote:

No.

Since Crytek is co-deveoping it with Microsoft Games Studios, there is a chance of 0,000000001% of it hitting the Sony PS3 Platform.

However, there is a quite big chance of it hitting the PC....

Ah okay then. But it wouldn't be the first time a game's been announced for 360 like exclusive but then comes out later on ps3.
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: MLD Archives #3: The relevance of timed exclusivity.   MLD Archives #3: The relevance of timed exclusivity. EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 11:43 am

I just realised something, ps3 fanboys claim (at least when ps3's not outselling 360) that they don't care about sales.

But what do they spend all their time doing on the internet? They try and change people's views, try to convert people to becoming sony fanboys so they'll buy ps3's!

They're trying to get ps3 to sell more through word of mouth.

LOL!
Back to top Go down
Pein
Pein

PostSubject: Re: MLD Archives #3: The relevance of timed exclusivity.   MLD Archives #3: The relevance of timed exclusivity. EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 11:49 am

demondragondude wrote:
I just realised something, ps3 fanboys claim (at least when ps3's not outselling 360) that they don't care about sales.

But what do they spend all their time doing on the internet? They try and change people's views, try to convert people to becoming sony fanboys so they'll buy ps3's!

They're trying to get ps3 to sell more through word of mouth.

LOL!
lol thats sad..i doubt someone will trust them lol,they dont have anything to play on their ps3 and now they are trying to convert people,well they simply fail
Back to top Go down
M3A7L04F
Fleet Master Chief Petty Officer
Fleet Master Chief Petty Officer
M3A7L04F

PostSubject: Re: MLD Archives #3: The relevance of timed exclusivity.   MLD Archives #3: The relevance of timed exclusivity. EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 12:36 am

Good Archive
Back to top Go down
http://NextGenWalkthroughs.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MLD Archives #3: The relevance of timed exclusivity.   MLD Archives #3: The relevance of timed exclusivity. Empty

Back to top Go down

MLD Archives #3: The relevance of timed exclusivity.
Page 1 of 1