This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Reasons I think PC gaming is dying.

Go down 
+3
Arbiteris
TheGreenRanger
Pickles
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Pickles
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Pickles

Reasons I think PC gaming is dying. Empty
PostSubject: Reasons I think PC gaming is dying.   Reasons I think PC gaming is dying. EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 1:33 am

Please note that this is just what I think:

Most people view a computer as something for work and school. At best, they'll play flash games. This is why at Best Buy their's barely any rigs that can play Crysis at even LOW settings. PCs aren't advertised as gaming platforms.

Most PC gamers make their own rigs. I think this is one of the reasons PC gaming is dying. You can MAKE your own rig really cheap but the average person isn't going to do this and just buys a console instead. I think there's some stigma attached to making your own rig. "IF YOU MAKE YOUR OWN PC YOU WILL NEVER GET LAID."

Every PC is different which is why it's probably hard to MAKE a PC game. This is probably why PC developers treat early buyers as unpaid Beta Testers. Some people won't have the game working right out of the box or after they've downloaded it. It's kinda like buying a movie and finding out it's scratched and won't play.

Contrary to popular belief, consoles aren't holding back gaming like many PC elitists claim.They create a standardized platform that developers can fully learn and exploit. Developers KNOW what's in a console so they have a higher chance of making a game that works right out of the box.

This of course leads to the good ol' pc developer method of releasing a game, waiting for the complaints, and then releasing a patch. This is probably why PC gaming puts off casual gamers. They think that you have to wait long ass afternoons downloading patches just to play on a PC.

UPDATE: PC elitism arrogance. As we all know PC elitists like to bash consoles and say how far superior PCs are for gaming. Arrogance is NEVER EVER about feeling superior than others. It's about feeling so INSECURE that you have to GO OUT OF YOUR WAY to make sure everybody knows it. Since they are the smuggest gamers ever, it's not unreasonable to think that PC gaming is dying. It's the source of the biggest insecurity!

Be sure to tell me what you think/ call me an ignorant dumbass.

Back to top Go down
TheGreenRanger
Seaman Recruit
TheGreenRanger

PostSubject: Re: Reasons I think PC gaming is dying.   Reasons I think PC gaming is dying. EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 7:58 pm

Pickles wrote:
Every PC is different which is why it's probably hard to MAKE a PC game. This is probably why PC developers treat early buyers as unpaid Beta Testers. Some people won't have the game working right out of the box or after they've downloaded it. It's kinda like buying a movie and finding out it's scratched and won't play.

This of course leads to the good ol' pc developer method of releasing a game, waiting for the complaints, and then releasing a patch. This is probably why PC gaming puts off casual gamers. They think that you have to wait long ass afternoons downloading patches just to play on a PC.

I can agree with mostly everything you said BEFORE this point.
PC gaming is dead, its been for awhile, but i still love the loads of new games that come out on it
And cut out the "Hurr durr PC elitist arrogant ignorant" bullshit, you should see what forum we're posting on.

But hey Opinions Opinions Opinions am i right?
Back to top Go down
Arbiteris
Four Star General (Moderator)
Arbiteris

PostSubject: Re: Reasons I think PC gaming is dying.   Reasons I think PC gaming is dying. EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 8:08 pm

TheGreenRanger wrote:
Pickles wrote:

PC gaming is dead, its been for awhile, but i still love the loads of new games that come out on it
And cut out the "Hurr durr PC elitist arrogant ignorant" bullshit, you should see what forum we're posting on.

Actually,PC fanboys are BY FAR worse than ANY console fanboy.So he is right
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Stigma

PostSubject: Re: Reasons I think PC gaming is dying.   Reasons I think PC gaming is dying. EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 8:21 pm

Well the PC has the largest user base so it isn't really dieing. Although it's lost many of it's exclusives. All it really has left exclusive wise are RTS and MMO games.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reasons I think PC gaming is dying.   Reasons I think PC gaming is dying. EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 9:24 pm

BlackStigma wrote:
Well the PC has the largest user base so it isn't really dieing. Although it's lost many of it's exclusives. All it really has left exclusive wise are RTS and MMO games.

Exactly. Its still alive, but no where near where it has been.
Back to top Go down
TheGreenRanger
Seaman Recruit
TheGreenRanger

PostSubject: Re: Reasons I think PC gaming is dying.   Reasons I think PC gaming is dying. EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 1:02 am

HellJumper wrote:
TheGreenRanger wrote:
Pickles wrote:

Uh
Nevermind
Back to top Go down
Pickles
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Pickles

PostSubject: Re: Reasons I think PC gaming is dying.   Reasons I think PC gaming is dying. EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 5:31 pm

TheJubJub57212 wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:

Exactly. Its still alive, but no where near where it has been.

Compare the number of PCs that can play Modern Warfare 2 to the number of consoles that can.
Back to top Go down
Pickles
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Pickles

PostSubject: Re: Reasons I think PC gaming is dying.   Reasons I think PC gaming is dying. EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 5:33 pm

TheGreenRanger wrote:
HellJumper wrote:
TheGreenRanger wrote:
Pickles wrote:

Uh
Nevermind

herp derp
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reasons I think PC gaming is dying.   Reasons I think PC gaming is dying. EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 9:28 pm

Oh also, making your own rig wont never get you laid Razz I am building a computer right now and well I can testify that that statement is false XD
Back to top Go down
Pickles
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Pickles

PostSubject: Re: Reasons I think PC gaming is dying.   Reasons I think PC gaming is dying. EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 1:25 am

TheJubJub57212 wrote:
Oh also, making your own rig wont never get you laid Razz I am building a computer right now and well I can testify that that statement is false XD

I know that. It just seems like it has some kinda stigma attached to it. Like playing role playing board games or WOW.
Back to top Go down
Tferr

Tferr

PostSubject: Re: Reasons I think PC gaming is dying.   Reasons I think PC gaming is dying. EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 7:55 pm

Could someone explain the reasons behind why people think exclusives are so important?
I for one think all games should be released for as many platforms as possible (not that this will ever be possible)
Exclusives are, frankly, a bad thing. They restrict the industry and prevent developers from making as much $ as they could.
What if Halo: Combat Evolved had been released for the PS2 aswell? Perhaps Bungie would've had more time developing Halo 2 instead of shoehorneing 'finishing the fight'.
You get my point? Without exclusives all games would theoretically have higher sales, nourishing the industry and hopefully leading to a higher quality of games.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reasons I think PC gaming is dying.   Reasons I think PC gaming is dying. EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 8:11 pm

Tferr wrote:
Could someone explain the reasons behind why people think exclusives are so important?
I for one think all games should be released for as many platforms as possible (not that this will ever be possible)
Exclusives are, frankly, a bad thing. They restrict the industry and prevent developers from making as much $ as they could.
What if Halo: Combat Evolved had been released for the PS2 aswell? Perhaps Bungie would've had more time developing Halo 2 instead of shoehorneing 'finishing the fight'.
You get my point? Without exclusives all games would theoretically have higher sales, nourishing the industry and hopefully leading to a higher quality of games.

Then whats the point of having multiple consoles? Exclusives are the reason people choose Ps3 or 360. If we all had the same games that would be stupid, and no competition between console makers.
Back to top Go down
Reasoner
Seaman Apprentice
Seaman Apprentice
Reasoner

PostSubject: Re: Reasons I think PC gaming is dying.   Reasons I think PC gaming is dying. EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 9:05 pm

[quote="HellJumper"]
TheGreenRanger wrote:
Pickles wrote:
Every PC is different which is why it's probably hard to MAKE a PC game. umm It isent that hard, both pcs are not not too differnt, and have the same requirements for the other, so unless the computer is very different in some mutated way it shouldint be hard at all.

This is probably why PC developers treat early buyers as unpaid Beta Testers. Some people won't have the game working right out of the box or after they've downloaded it. It's kinda like buying a movie and finding out it's scratched and won't play.

I'm confused, They get beta testers to fix bugs and stuff for free, then when the game comes out it is virtually bug free for the most part, not sure what you are getting on here.

What pc games have you played? All the one I have played just need little tweaks, does not change the game play much, and the result of the game or anything, just a greater experience. So once again, I have no idea what you are talking about

PC gaming is definitely not dieing, I dont see any evidence why it is, you can play a lot of games on here and it i more of a convenience then a console, but consoles have their advantages. So yea, not too sure what your getting onto here.

[/b]

Umm I dont know many PC fan boys, assuming they are the nerdiest annoying people, that still dosent make the PC s dieing. And I do find PS3 annoying fanbboys, heck there are annoying fanboys in most consoles, bound to find them somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Pickles
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Pickles

PostSubject: Re: Reasons I think PC gaming is dying.   Reasons I think PC gaming is dying. EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 8:19 pm

[quote="Reasoner"]
HellJumper wrote:
TheGreenRanger wrote:
Pickles wrote:
Every PC is different which is why it's probably hard to MAKE a PC game. umm It isent that hard, both pcs are not not too differnt, and have the same requirements for the other, so unless the computer is very different in some mutated way it shouldint be hard at all.

This is probably why PC developers treat early buyers as unpaid Beta Testers. Some people won't have the game working right out of the box or after they've downloaded it. It's kinda like buying a movie and finding out it's scratched and won't play.

I'm confused, They get beta testers to fix bugs and stuff for free, then when the game comes out it is virtually bug free for the most part, not sure what you are getting on here.

What pc games have you played? All the one I have played just need little tweaks, does not change the game play much, and the result of the game or anything, just a greater experience. So once again, I have no idea what you are talking about

PC gaming is definitely not dieing, I dont see any evidence why it is, you can play a lot of games on here and it i more of a convenience then a console, but consoles have their advantages. So yea, not too sure what your getting onto here.

[/b]

Umm I dont know many PC fan boys, assuming they are the nerdiest annoying people, that still dosent make the PC s dieing. And I do find PS3 annoying fanbboys, heck there are annoying fanboys in most consoles, bound to find them somewhere.

Compare the number of new IP this year on consoles to the ones PC got.

PC games are usually just multiplats or sequels.
Back to top Go down
Reasoner
Seaman Apprentice
Seaman Apprentice
Reasoner

PostSubject: Re: Reasons I think PC gaming is dying.   Reasons I think PC gaming is dying. EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 9:47 pm

[quote="Pickles"]
Reasoner wrote:
HellJumper wrote:
TheGreenRanger wrote:
Pickles wrote:

[/b]

Whats wrong with sequels? Starcarft 2 is a great gme, its a sequel so what? PC games wont die, so long as PC activity continues.
Back to top Go down
Pickles
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Pickles

PostSubject: Re: Reasons I think PC gaming is dying.   Reasons I think PC gaming is dying. EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 11:36 pm

[quote="Reasoner"]
Pickles wrote:
Reasoner wrote:
HellJumper wrote:
TheGreenRanger wrote:
Pickles wrote:

[/b]

Whats wrong with sequels? Starcarft 2 is a great gme, its a sequel so what? PC games wont die, so long as PC activity continues.

Nothing. It's just that some people like something refreshing every now and then.

PC gaming is dying because every groundbreaking innovation seems to happen on the consoles right now. Publishers are just putting all their resources into consoles because they're harder to pirate.
Back to top Go down
Reasoner
Seaman Apprentice
Seaman Apprentice
Reasoner

PostSubject: Re: Reasons I think PC gaming is dying.   Reasons I think PC gaming is dying. EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 12:33 am

Nothing. It's just that some people like something refreshing every now and then.

PC gaming is dying because every groundbreaking innovation seems to happen on the consoles right now. Publishers are just putting all their resources into consoles because they're harder to pirate.[/quote]

What ground breaking innovations? A lot of the stuff you can do on the consoles you can do for the computer.
Back to top Go down
Jamin
Command Master Chief Petty Officer
Command Master Chief Petty Officer
Jamin

PostSubject: Re: Reasons I think PC gaming is dying.   Reasons I think PC gaming is dying. EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 2:35 am

Pickles wrote:

Most people view a computer as something for work and school. At best, they'll play flash games. This is why at Best Buy their's barely any rigs that can play Crysis at even LOW settings. PCs aren't advertised as gaming platforms.
How does a NON GAMERS' view of a computer have to do with PC gaming dying? Everyone is aware you can play games on a PC, regardless of what kind of PC it is. And WTF? Laughing Buy a gaming PC from BEST BUY!? XD You're showing your intelligence! No SMART GAMER would want to buy an OVERPRICED gaming PC. Best Buys sell Alienware PCs, which are overpriced to hell. But places like Fry's Electronics and other similar places WILL MAKE your custom PC right in the store. They even have CUSTOM PCs up and running so you can DEMO THEM, DEMO GAMES, and if you choose to use said PC, you can make alterations on the spot to your liking.

Most PC gamers make their own rigs. I think this is one of the reasons PC gaming is dying. You can MAKE your own rig really cheap but the average person isn't going to do this and just buys a console instead. I think there's some stigma attached to making your own rig. "IF YOU MAKE YOUR OWN PC YOU WILL NEVER GET LAID."
What does that have to do with PC gaming dying? People have been making their own rigs for about 15 years now. Who do think has been FUNDING computer hardware companies like Nvidia, Intel, AMD & ATI, IBM, and etc for all these years? What do you think the consoles are made of? And for the record, its not hard to make a PC. When I made mine, I had some parts suggested, looked it over, ordered the parts, and put it together with a butter knife. Assembling it is just screws & legos.

Not really a good point, seeing how problems with game development occur on each gaming platform. But on the PC, no, the many different builds of PC's out there doesnt affect the developers.They make the game with minimum requirements, and if you're a PC gamer, your PC should be perfectly capable of handling it. Just an example, but most games (ME2, L4D2, etc) on the PC have a 1-2 gigabyte(s) of RAM minimum requirement. But most PC gamers have more than 2 gigs, for example, 27% of Steam users have 2 gigs of RAM, 26% have 3 gigs, 22% have 4, and 11% have 5 & up. Only 10% have 1 gig of RAM, but they are still capable of playing the games. Its the same on consoles. Games are released that dont run well, but the only difference is that on the PC, they can release a patch/update immediately and any given time they need to in order to improve the game's functionality. On the PS3 & 360, these patch/update releases are regulated, meaning LESS fixes to your games.

Contrary to popular belief, consoles aren't holding back gaming like many PC elitists claim.They create a standardized platform that developers can fully learn and exploit. Developers KNOW what's in a console so they have a higher chance of making a game that works right out of the box.
No, its not the consoles that are holding back gaming. Its the recession we are in. It is affecting business models, game budgets, consumer spending, DLC spamming, game content cuts, layoffs, and much more.
I think what many PC gamers are referring to, is when companies like Bioware take out simple features from the PC versions of games like Mass Effect 2, in order to TRY to keep it at the same level as the console version. There really was no excuse to exclude a majority of the graphical options that are available in most mainstream PC games. They removed the Texture quality settings AND the Anti-Aliasing settings, that is BULLSHIT (and why it scored lower than the 360 version). But we found a work around anyway. cheers

Umm, are you not aware that this is prevalent on the consoles as well? Does MW2 ring a bell? How many patches has it had on the consoles? And that shit is STILL BROKEN! LOL! XD But that argument is useless. Many games on the Xbox360, PS3, and on the PC receive patches within the first week of release. XD Wasnt it L4D2 patched the first day it was released on 360? =P How many patches did it take to fix Gears 2 multiplayer? LOL! How about MAG patches? ^_^ I can download 600 megabytes in 15 minutes, and I have average DSL. If it takes you all afternoon to download a patch, I suggest you get off of DIAL UP. XD

UPDATE: PC elitism arrogance. As we all know PC elitists like to bash consoles and say how far superior PCs are for gaming. Arrogance is NEVER EVER about feeling superior than others. It's about feeling so INSECURE that you have to GO OUT OF YOUR WAY to make sure everybody knows it. Since they are the smuggest gamers ever, it's not unreasonable to think that PC gaming is dying. It's the source of the biggest insecurity!
Insecurity is not exhibited by justifiably proving others to be inaccurate with their claims. Insecurity is exhibited by making baseless claims on a particular subject (in your case, PC gaming), while you are not familiar with the subject / you hold no history or studies in the subject / have little to NO understanding of the subject. To PC gamers, many console gamers are incredibly annoying, because you guys arent familiar with PC gaming, yet talk tooooooooons of shit about it.
Now, granted, these are merely your thoughts, but please realize that they arent too well thought out and hold little water....well...no water.

Laughing
Back to top Go down
Pickles
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Pickles

PostSubject: Re: Reasons I think PC gaming is dying.   Reasons I think PC gaming is dying. EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 3:46 am

Jamin wrote:
Pickles wrote:

How does a NON GAMERS' view of a computer have to do with PC gaming dying? Everyone is aware you can play games on a PC, regardless of what kind of PC it is. And WTF? Laughing Buy a gaming PC from BEST BUY!? XD You're showing your intelligence! No SMART GAMER would want to buy an OVERPRICED gaming PC. Best Buys sell Alienware PCs, which are overpriced to hell. But places like Fry's Electronics and other similar places WILL MAKE your custom PC right in the store. They even have CUSTOM PCs up and running so you can DEMO THEM, DEMO GAMES, and if you choose to use said PC, you can make alterations on the spot to your liking.

What does that have to do with PC gaming dying? People have been making their own rigs for about 15 years now. Who do think has been FUNDING computer hardware companies like Nvidia, Intel, AMD & ATI, IBM, and etc for all these years? What do you think the consoles are made of? And for the record, its not hard to make a PC. When I made mine, I had some parts suggested, looked it over, ordered the parts, and put it together with a butter knife. Assembling it is just screws & legos.

Not really a good point, seeing how problems with game development occur on each gaming platform. But on the PC, no, the many different builds of PC's out there doesnt affect the developers.They make the game with minimum requirements, and if you're a PC gamer, your PC should be perfectly capable of handling it. Just an example, but most games (ME2, L4D2, etc) on the PC have a 1-2 gigabyte(s) of RAM minimum requirement. But most PC gamers have more than 2 gigs, for example, 27% of Steam users have 2 gigs of RAM, 26% have 3 gigs, 22% have 4, and 11% have 5 & up. Only 10% have 1 gig of RAM, but they are still capable of playing the games. Its the same on consoles. Games are released that dont run well, but the only difference is that on the PC, they can release a patch/update immediately and any given time they need to in order to improve the game's functionality. On the PS3 & 360, these patch/update releases are regulated, meaning LESS fixes to your games.

No, its not the consoles that are holding back gaming. Its the recession we are in. It is affecting business models, game budgets, consumer spending, DLC spamming, game content cuts, layoffs, and much more.
I think what many PC gamers are referring to, is when companies like Bioware take out simple features from the PC versions of games like Mass Effect 2, in order to TRY to keep it at the same level as the console version. There really was no excuse to exclude a majority of the graphical options that are available in most mainstream PC games. They removed the Texture quality settings AND the Anti-Aliasing settings, that is BULLSHIT (and why it scored lower than the 360 version). But we found a work around anyway. cheers

Umm, are you not aware that this is prevalent on the consoles as well? Does MW2 ring a bell? How many patches has it had on the consoles? And that shit is STILL BROKEN! LOL! XD But that argument is useless. Many games on the Xbox360, PS3, and on the PC receive patches within the first week of release. XD Wasnt it L4D2 patched the first day it was released on 360? =P How many patches did it take to fix Gears 2 multiplayer? LOL! How about MAG patches? ^_^ I can download 600 megabytes in 15 minutes, and I have average DSL. If it takes you all afternoon to download a patch, I suggest you get off of DIAL UP. XD

Insecurity is not exhibited by justifiably proving others to be inaccurate with their claims. Insecurity is exhibited by making baseless claims on a particular subject (in your case, PC gaming), while you are not familiar with the subject / you hold no history or studies in the subject / have little to NO understanding of the subject. To PC gamers, many console gamers are incredibly annoying, because you guys arent familiar with PC gaming, yet talk tooooooooons of shit about it.
Now, granted, these are merely your thoughts, but please realize that they arent too well thought out and hold little water....well...no water.

Laughing

1. Well that's my point. Best Buy is more mainstream than Fry's Electronics. You're also forgetting that most gamers aren't smart.

2. Compare the # of people who built their rigs to the people who bought theres.

3. Well if the games on the PC get patched immediately and the patches for ps3/360 are regulated and there's less fixes, wouldn't that mean that developers are more motivated to ship a game with less bugs on the consoles?

4. Well what I got from PC elitists is that consoles are limited by their hardware so they limit the games.

5. See #3. Although I will have to agree with you on this one. I missed the days when consoles didn't have internet access.

6. You're confusing gamers with fanboys.

It also seems that you're implying that PC fanboys aren't incredibly annoying to console gamers and that they never talk shit about consoles.

It's why I posted this thread. There was an annoying PC fanboy. It's probably why you replied to this thread in such a lengthy manner because you see me as an annoying console fanboy.

Also the ALL CAPS means you're yelling, right? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reasons I think PC gaming is dying.   Reasons I think PC gaming is dying. Empty

Back to top Go down

Reasons I think PC gaming is dying.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Other Platforms :: PC Gaming-
Jump to: