This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Review of Halo 3: ODST

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Review of Halo 3: ODST Empty
PostSubject: Review of Halo 3: ODST   Review of Halo 3: ODST EmptyFri Aug 27, 2010 10:16 pm

A $60 expansion pack? Really Microsoft you couldn't have priced it like the other expansions? Anyway, to the review.

Story

"Come on, Veronica. What could be more important than that carrier?"
-Buck

The story has you, The Rookie (real name James D.), as a silent protagonist that is part of an ODST squad, and a recent addition to it at that. You are dropped from the sky in Drop pods but instead of landing on the Covenant Ship, your course is redirected by Captain Dare, who does it just in time as the Covenant ship fires an EMP along with a slip-space rupture that sends you and your team reeling off-course.

Your shoot fails to activate on your pod, and you wake up 6 hours later. Your squad is gone and you are alone, but the Superintendent AI is there to help. From here you must find your squad, and if you do you must complete the mission.

There is also some side romance stuff with Dare and Buck, but it wasn't that bad and I found it ignorable.

The UNSC Ship interior
Review of Halo 3: ODST H3odst22

Gameplay

"Let me turret, you suck at it."
-Buck

Gameplay has changed since Halo 3, first off you are an ODST, not a spartan, therefore you are shorter, can take fall damage, may require medkits at times, but you have some advantages.

First is that you have the VISR database which is a Map and compass, this includes the map, a waypoint system, objectives, and audio logs. The VISR also has a low-light vision mode which illuminates and outlines the environment beautifully, and allows you to see in the dark and see enemies, cloaked or not.

The AI still sucks, but hey at least your ODST companions won't die a million times like the Arbiter.

An ODST with his VISR turned on
Review of Halo 3: ODST Halo-3-odst-screenshot-big1

Graphics

There really aren't any improvements to them to speak of, though the way the city looks is cool, and so is the VISR.

Music

Now we get some newer halo music, to fit the theme and setting, Marty did a good job as he always does.

This certainly is not the best game ever and with the price tag, it is more worth it if you just wait for the price to get to $30 or lower if you plan to get it new. It is not the best game, but certainly not the worst, and is only worth the full price if you are a certain type of person. So 8.1
Back to top Go down
TRF
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
TRF

PostSubject: Re: Review of Halo 3: ODST   Review of Halo 3: ODST EmptyFri Aug 27, 2010 10:22 pm

I absolutely hated this game. It was sooooo boring. I want to burn every copy of this abomination. The story was boring, campaign was boring, and Firefight was boring.
Back to top Go down
Arbiteris
Four Star General (Moderator)
Arbiteris

PostSubject: Re: Review of Halo 3: ODST   Review of Halo 3: ODST EmptyFri Aug 27, 2010 11:02 pm

TRF wrote:
I absolutely hated this game. It was sooooo boring. I want to burn every copy of this abomination. The story was boring, campaign was boring, and Firefight was boring.

Wow,IGN,other big sites and gamers LOVE Firefight.

Many people have said that ODST's story was better than the traditional Halo story and so was the campaign

I dont get your hate on it even though you havnt even beat the game yet
Back to top Go down
TRF
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
TRF

PostSubject: Re: Review of Halo 3: ODST   Review of Halo 3: ODST EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 12:40 am

HellJumper wrote:
TRF wrote:

Many people have said that ODST's story was better than the traditional Halo story and so was the campaign

I beat the game, barely keeping my sanity. I hated it so much. I don't care if the big sites liked it. They gave White Knight Chronicles bad reviews and I liked it. They gave Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands and 3D Dot Game Heroes mediocre reviews and I love those games. Hell, IGN gave Deadly Premonition a 2.0, and I loved Deadly Premonition.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Review of Halo 3: ODST   Review of Halo 3: ODST EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 1:07 am

TRF wrote:
HellJumper wrote:
TRF wrote:

I beat the game, barely keeping my sanity. I hated it so much. I don't care if the big sites liked it. They gave White Knight Chronicles bad reviews and I liked it. They gave Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands and 3D Dot Game Heroes mediocre reviews and I love those games. Hell, IGN gave Deadly Premonition a 2.0, and I loved Deadly Premonition.

Exactly why I don't trust the reviewer. Also HJ, I don't see how spouting the opinions of others will change anyones opinion.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Review of Halo 3: ODST   Review of Halo 3: ODST EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 10:04 am

TRF wrote:

Really? I liked the campaign, better than Halo 3's. It had some awesome story telling. And Firefight is so fun, even if you play by yourself. But it really shines when you play with a few friends.
Back to top Go down
TRF
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
TRF

PostSubject: Re: Review of Halo 3: ODST   Review of Halo 3: ODST EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 10:27 am

TheJubJub5721 wrote:
TRF wrote:

Really? I liked the campaign, better than Halo 3's. It had some awesome story telling. And Firefight is so fun, even if you play by yourself. But it really shines when you play with a few friends.
I remember trying to keep myself awake when my friends and I went for "Vidmaster: Endurance". The game just wreaked of boredom for me.
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Stoney

PostSubject: Re: Review of Halo 3: ODST   Review of Halo 3: ODST EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 10:37 am

I rented ODST. Played it for about 2-3 hours and brought it back. Big disappointment compared to the main series.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Review of Halo 3: ODST   Review of Halo 3: ODST EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 11:38 am

TRF wrote:
TheJubJub5721 wrote:
TRF wrote:

I remember trying to keep myself awake when my friends and I went for "Vidmaster: Endurance". The game just wreaked of boredom for me.

I dont go for stuff like that. I just play the campaign a few times. The way I see it, going for achievements ruins the game.
Back to top Go down
TRF
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
TRF

PostSubject: Re: Review of Halo 3: ODST   Review of Halo 3: ODST EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 11:45 am

TheJubJub5721 wrote:
TRF wrote:
TheJubJub5721 wrote:
TRF wrote:

I dont go for stuff like that. I just play the campaign a few times. The way I see it, going for achievements ruins the game.
Originally I wanted Recon Armor so badly that I did "Endurance", despite how boring it was. However, I eventually became so fed up with how un-fun the game was that I just said "Fuck it", and to this day, I'm still missing one ODST Vidmaster.
Back to top Go down
Arbiteris
Arbiteris

PostSubject: Re: Review of Halo 3: ODST   Review of Halo 3: ODST EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 1:14 pm

Ezekiel 703 wrote:
TRF wrote:
HellJumper wrote:
TRF wrote:

Exactly why I don't trust the reviewer. Also HJ, I don't see how spouting the opinions of others will change anyones opinion.

Where did I mention "reviews"?Please read my post correctly TRF and ezek

I said that gamers and the gaming sites just loved Firefight.If you hate firefight,you must hate every survival mode out there.Because that is what Firefight is,a Halo version of a survival mode.Except it adds skulls,which makes the mode less repetitive.And last time I checked,I think I saw TRF say he loved nazi zombies.Which sounds liek hes just hating blindly on Firefight because its on ODST

Oh comon TRF,ODST wasnt as "horrible" as your saying.I mean seriously,by what your saying the game should have been rated 1/10.You cant expect anyone to beleive its that bad.Even the most negative reviews didnt go down that low.You can expect us to beleive that "you barely kept your sanity"

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Review of Halo 3: ODST   Review of Halo 3: ODST EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 2:13 pm

HellJumper wrote:
Ezekiel 703 wrote:
TRF wrote:
HellJumper wrote:
TRF wrote:

I said that gamers and the gaming sites just loved Firefight.If you hate firefight,you must hate every survival mode out there.Because that is what Firefight is,a Halo version of a survival mode.Except it adds skulls,which makes the mode less repetitive.And last time I checked,I think I saw TRF say he loved nazi zombies.Which sounds liek hes just hating blindly on Firefight because its on ODST

Oh comon TRF,ODST wasnt as "horrible" as your saying.I mean seriously,by what your saying the game should have been rated 1/10.You cant expect anyone to beleive its that bad.Even the most negative reviews didnt go down that low.You can expect us to beleive that "you barely kept your sanity"

You mentioned acclaim for the game which was also stated from the reviewers. But my point was that stating the opinions of others is not going to do anything, it won't change his opinion at all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Review of Halo 3: ODST   Review of Halo 3: ODST EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 3:13 pm

HellJumper wrote:
.And last time I checked,I think I saw TRF say he loved nazi zombies.Which sounds liek hes just hating blindly on Firefight because its on ODST

To be fair, Nazi Zombies gameplay was A LOT different than typical shooter wave defense games.
Back to top Go down
TRF
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
TRF

PostSubject: Re: Review of Halo 3: ODST   Review of Halo 3: ODST EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 7:21 pm

HellJumper wrote:
Ezekiel 703 wrote:
TRF wrote:
HellJumper wrote:
TRF wrote:

I'm not blindly hating on Firefight because it's on ODST. I genuinely hated the game. I never said you had to hate it with me. I don't LOVE Nazi Zombies, but I do like it. I also like Horde mode in Gears of War 2, and Co-Op Survival in Uncharted 2. I wouldn't give it a 1/10. It had amazing music, like every other Halo game. That at least warrants a 4/10. Like I said, I don't care what reviewers say. IGN gave Deadly Premonition a 2/10, and I think it deserves a 7/10 minimum, myself giving it an 8/10. I gave a bunch of examples of games I liked or loved that got mediocre to bad reviews.

There's no real reason for me to hate on ODST unless I genuinely hate it.
Back to top Go down
ZeInFormer
Command Master Chief Petty Officer
Command Master Chief Petty Officer

PostSubject: Re: Review of Halo 3: ODST   Review of Halo 3: ODST EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 4:30 am

TRF wrote:
HellJumper wrote:
TRF wrote:

Really? I think ODST is probably my second favorite Halo game. First one is obviously CE. All the Halo games are fun to play.
Back to top Go down
ghost23

PostSubject: Re: Review of Halo 3: ODST   Review of Halo 3: ODST EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 6:16 am

TRF wrote:
HellJumper wrote:
Ezekiel 703 wrote:
TRF wrote:
HellJumper wrote:
TRF wrote:

I'm not blindly hating on Firefight because it's on ODST. I genuinely hated the game. I never said you had to hate it with me. I don't LOVE Nazi Zombies, but I do like it. I also like Horde mode in Gears of War 2, and Co-Op Survival in Uncharted 2. I wouldn't give it a 1/10. It had amazing music, like every other Halo game. That at least warrants a 4/10. Like I said, I don't care what reviewers say. IGN gave Deadly Premonition a 2/10, and I think it deserves a 7/10 minimum, myself giving it an 8/10. I gave a bunch of examples of games I liked or loved that got mediocre to bad reviews.

There's no real reason for me to hate on ODST unless I genuinely hate it.

I find it interesting that you would say something like this especially since in the Halo 3 review thread you said Halo was one of your favourite FPS of this generation. I find it difficult to believe that someone who loves Halo 3 would genuinely hate ODST, it just doesn't add up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Review of Halo 3: ODST   Review of Halo 3: ODST Empty

Back to top Go down

Review of Halo 3: ODST
Page 1 of 1