This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

90s PC Gaming vs New Gen PC Gaming

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ZeInFormer
Command Master Chief Petty Officer

90s PC Gaming vs New Gen PC Gaming Empty
PostSubject: 90s PC Gaming vs New Gen PC Gaming   90s PC Gaming vs New Gen PC Gaming EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 12:20 am

This is my own little article of why I think PC gaming isn't great like it was in the 90s.

1. Controls - A lot of FPS games in the 90s were designed for the mouse. Today's age, it's all about the gamepad. Notice how a lot of modern FPS on PC feels kind of sluggish when you use it with the mouse? Play the older PC games, and you'll feel like it was perfect for the mouse.
2. In Stores - There was a lot of PC games for me to look at and decide back in the 90s in most stores I went to with games. They even let me play some of those games too. Now, it's all about consoles. Consoles have so many games, people can play them, and PC games are pretty much left in the dust.
3. Piracy - This hurts the PC gaming community very badly. I'm seeing people pirating games that are only like worth 5 bucks or less. Are you crazy??? Not only that, this hurts developers for not putting enough confidence in making games for the PC games. I'm worried we'll never have games like AVP, System Shock 2, or Half-Life.
4. Free Games - Free games are basically poor versions of Quake/UT, EQ/WOW, and Counter Strike. Maybe some more popular games. Why play these games if you can enjoy the the more better and popular version? Not only that, I been hearing complaints that these games usually have hackers. I also did play CA for a bit, and it's not balanced at all, so I'm sure other games might be the same as well. What bothers me is that developers should be putting more creativity in making their own original games instead of poor clones. Oh wait...Piracy...
5. The Games - I loved PC gaming back in the 90s because they had access to play the most advanced games compared to the consoles. Nowadays, PC are still superior than consoles, but not that much. Consoles can now have a huge library of FPS or RPG games. Back then, most FPS games were on the PC, and there were only a few on the consoles. However, PC had a lot of great exclusives: Unreal Tournament, Shogo, System Shock 2, Quake 2, and a lot more. I know some of the exclusives became ports to the consoles, but they didn't have online or the expansions. Also most the console FPS controls weren't perfected untill Halo came out and changed everything. PC also had a lot of variety of games too (Wc, SC, Diablo, HL, Doom, Quake, Deus Ex, man...there were soo many games. Now, it's just about Crysis, WoW, and maybe a few more...
6. Mods - I respect mods for upcoming game designers to practiice and all. I also do play some Wc3 mods and I enjoyed Alien Vendetta/Hell Revealed from the megawads of Doom. Still, I don't like how some people can just buy a certain game and just play it for the mods. Isn't that kind of disrespecting the hard work and creativity that the developers put? I'd rather play the campaign of HL 2 than all these HL 2 mods. *writer's note* I feel mods are very unauthentic at times. Seriously, playing Halo custom edition and you have a revolver and you're shooting Covies with it? Don't you think that's a bit strange? It also pi**es me off that people are always bragging about mods bring replay value to a game. I'm still playing games like Half-Life, Halo: Combat Evolved, Doom 2, Duke Nukem 3D, and a lot more to this day. You know why? They're great games and great games don't really need mods. Mods should be something as an extra.
7. Age - Consoles are so advanced nowadays, I'm sure both PS3 and Xbox 360 can have all the old 90s PC games without having any sacrifices. Also PC games haven't really aged that well. It's still featuring a lot of the stuff that you know and seen before, but consoles are catching up. It has matchmaking, chat support (or texting), friends list, and so on. The only thing that PC games really have ahead in consoles are just the graphics really and better frame-rate, but that's not really important when it comes to playing a game. I'm not sure MMOs really count, but consoles also have MMO games too.

Hope you enjoy it. I don't hate PC gaming. I still love it, and I'm dying to get Diablo 3 and I might get Duke Nukem Forever for PC just for paying homage to the original release of Duke 3D (it started out on PC). Same with Doom 4 probably. There are also some great PC games out there in this age that don't get enough attention, and maybe I'll try to promote it. Also Steam is definitely a life-saver, giving you a lot of great choices in deals in games. Sadly, I like having the boxes and even if they give me such a great deal on buying multiple games with cheap prices, I really just want one game to play because I don't have time to play like 5 new games right away.

Back to top Go down
ZeInFormer

PostSubject: Re: 90s PC Gaming vs New Gen PC Gaming   90s PC Gaming vs New Gen PC Gaming EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 12:26 am

If you ask me, I think the 90s was the best year for PC gaming. Hands down.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 90s PC Gaming vs New Gen PC Gaming   90s PC Gaming vs New Gen PC Gaming EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 7:37 am

From what you said, 90's sounded a hell of a lot better. But I wasn't gaming on the PC at all in the 90's so I couldn't say anything.
Back to top Go down
Pickles
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Pickles

PostSubject: Re: 90s PC Gaming vs New Gen PC Gaming   90s PC Gaming vs New Gen PC Gaming EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 4:42 pm

David Wong(cracked.com) and Jim Stirling(Destructoid) both seem to agree that PC gaming is slowly becoming less significant.

Back to top Go down
ZeInFormer

PostSubject: Re: 90s PC Gaming vs New Gen PC Gaming   90s PC Gaming vs New Gen PC Gaming EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 6:31 pm

TheJubJub5721 wrote:
From what you said, 90's sounded a hell of a lot better. But I wasn't gaming on the PC at all in the 90's so I couldn't say anything.
MUCH MUCH better. I'm so glad I was a teen back then-that's where I was really good at gaming and stuff and I enjoyed it while it last.
Back to top Go down
Diplo
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Diplo

PostSubject: Re: 90s PC Gaming vs New Gen PC Gaming   90s PC Gaming vs New Gen PC Gaming EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 10:54 am

I'm not going to write 3 paragraphs of why I think you are wrong, but you are.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 90s PC Gaming vs New Gen PC Gaming   90s PC Gaming vs New Gen PC Gaming EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 12:24 pm

pifarm wrote:

That doesn't help your point...
Back to top Go down
Diplo
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Diplo

PostSubject: Re: 90s PC Gaming vs New Gen PC Gaming   90s PC Gaming vs New Gen PC Gaming EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 12:34 pm

i dont want to
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
Four Star General (Moderator)
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: 90s PC Gaming vs New Gen PC Gaming   90s PC Gaming vs New Gen PC Gaming EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 12:56 pm

ZeInFormer wrote:
This is my own little article of why I think PC gaming isn't great like it was in the 90s.

2. In Stores - There was a lot of PC games for me to look at and decide back in the 90s in most stores I went to with games. They even let me play some of those games too. Now, it's all about consoles. Consoles have so many games, people can play them, and PC games are pretty much left in the dust.

Yeah I notice this as well.
3. Piracy - This hurts the PC gaming community very badly. I'm seeing people pirating games that are only like worth 5 bucks or less. Are you crazy??? Not only that, this hurts developers for not putting enough confidence in making games for the PC games. I'm worried we'll never have games like AVP, System Shock 2, or Half-Life.

Yes, this is a serious one. I assumed piracy was just because so many games are overpriced but no, people don't even pay for games that you can get dirt cheap!!
I mean, I'm guilty of pirating hundreds of psp games and quite a few pc games.
But only the ones I just didn't have the money for. Usually, after pirating a game if I have the money and I consider the game good, I buy it.
I did the same with ipod touch. Every single game on ipod touch which I pirated and enjoyed, I bought.
Eg: Crusade Of Destiny, Ravensword, Modern Combat, Aircoaster, Palm Heroes, etc
And quite a few psp games, Monkey Ball Adventure, Midnight Club LA, Tekken Dark Resurrection, etc
and some pc games:
Doom 3, The Sims 2, etc

My biggest issues with pc gaming are:

Upgrading - It costs a lot and you'll have to upgrade several times if you want to keep your hardware up to date with the games that keep coming out with slightly better graphics.

Backwards Compatibility - The upgrading will also lead to your pc being incompatible with older games. I don't mind having a library of just a couple of hundred games but of course, there's the uncertainty of which games will run, which games wont.

Not a gaming system - One reason why I don't like the idea of gaming on pc's is also because it's not built for gaming, it takes significantly longer to set up a game (installs and such) and then you've got other issues which consoles don't really get like viruses or strange compatibility problems.

Missing out - pc just misses out on quite a lot of awesome games. It tends to get scraps of what are available. It only got one of the Gears Of War games, it only got Fable 1 and while it's getting 3, it didn't get 2. Alan Wake was canceled for it, It has not got ps3/360 multiplats like Red Dead Redemption, and so on.

The fanboys - if I hear "mastar raice!!!!!! pc ftw!!!" one more time I'm going to kill a kitten!!!!!

There are advantages of pc though, the control scheme and graphics and mods.
But i'll still take console gaming over it anyday.

And
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: 90s PC Gaming vs New Gen PC Gaming   90s PC Gaming vs New Gen PC Gaming EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 12:57 pm

pifarm wrote:

my opninyonz ar better than your opinyionz!!!!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
ZeInFormer

PostSubject: Re: 90s PC Gaming vs New Gen PC Gaming   90s PC Gaming vs New Gen PC Gaming EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 3:01 pm

pifarm wrote:
It's okay, you can do it.
Back to top Go down
Diplo
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Diplo

PostSubject: Re: 90s PC Gaming vs New Gen PC Gaming   90s PC Gaming vs New Gen PC Gaming EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 5:57 pm

DemonWolf wrote:
pifarm wrote:

nah, i just dont feel like taking time to write a bunch of shit that wont change anyone's opinion, and would just be useless.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 90s PC Gaming vs New Gen PC Gaming   90s PC Gaming vs New Gen PC Gaming EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 6:12 pm

pifarm wrote:
DemonWolf wrote:
pifarm wrote:

nah, i just dont feel like taking time to write a bunch of shit that wont change anyone's opinion, and would just be useless.

Well the point of a forum is to post your opinion..
Back to top Go down
Diplo
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Diplo

PostSubject: Re: 90s PC Gaming vs New Gen PC Gaming   90s PC Gaming vs New Gen PC Gaming EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 6:17 pm

unpopular opinions remain unpopular
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Stoney

PostSubject: Re: 90s PC Gaming vs New Gen PC Gaming   90s PC Gaming vs New Gen PC Gaming EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 11:29 am

pifarm wrote:

You're only 15 so how can you have an opinion on 90's PC gaming?

Last edited by xSTONEYx187x on Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Grammar fail!)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 90s PC Gaming vs New Gen PC Gaming   90s PC Gaming vs New Gen PC Gaming EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 11:30 am

xSTONEYx187x wrote:
pifarm wrote:

Your only 15 so how can you have an opinion on 90's PC gaming?

Oh didn't even notice that.
Back to top Go down
Diplo
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Diplo

PostSubject: Re: 90s PC Gaming vs New Gen PC Gaming   90s PC Gaming vs New Gen PC Gaming EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 12:40 pm

its not like my age means i cant go and play the games.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 90s PC Gaming vs New Gen PC Gaming   90s PC Gaming vs New Gen PC Gaming EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 1:14 pm

pifarm wrote:
its not like my age means i cant go and play the games.

Sure you can play the games but you weren't able to experiance most of what he was talking about.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 90s PC Gaming vs New Gen PC Gaming   90s PC Gaming vs New Gen PC Gaming Empty

Back to top Go down

90s PC Gaming vs New Gen PC Gaming
Page 1 of 1