This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

360 doesnt need bluray

Go down 
+4
cannibalshinobi
343_Guilty_Spark
Blixtstorm
GeneralMLD
8 posters
AuthorMessage
GeneralMLD
Five Star General (Admin)
Five Star General (Admin)
GeneralMLD

360 doesnt need bluray Empty
PostSubject: 360 doesnt need bluray   360 doesnt need bluray EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 12:46 am

http://kotaku.com/5385208/a-second-hands+on-opinion-of-the-xbox-360s-instant+streaming-in-1080p

The new update will finally make bluray useless as 360 can watch 1080p movies.

Games wise DVD holds its own and only a handful require multiple disks. 360 officially overcame not having bluray.
Back to top Go down
https://xboxrepublic.forumotion.com
Blixtstorm
Four Star General (Moderator)
Blixtstorm

PostSubject: Re: 360 doesnt need bluray   360 doesnt need bluray EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 1:04 am

Too bad it doesnt come to every nation... You see europe barely get anything, but still i have my hopes up for SF-Anytime. With Cinema movies aswell Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Blixtstorm
343_Guilty_Spark
343_Guilty_Spark

PostSubject: Re: 360 doesnt need bluray   360 doesnt need bluray EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 1:12 am

I prefer cheap reliable plentiful and still great looking DVD to both expensive Blu-Ray and download/streaming video.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bungie.net
cannibalshinobi
Senior Chief Petty Officer
cannibalshinobi

PostSubject: Re: 360 doesnt need bluray   360 doesnt need bluray EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 2:33 am

343_Guilty_Spark wrote:
I prefer cheap reliable plentiful and still great looking DVD to both expensive Blu-Ray and download/streaming video.

that's what i use to say when DVD first hit the market back in the old VHS days. DD is the future, i know you don't like it but it might help if you try to imagine as HDDs as the new hard copies of your movies.
Back to top Go down
343_Guilty_Spark
343_Guilty_Spark

PostSubject: Re: 360 doesnt need bluray   360 doesnt need bluray EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 2:41 am

CannibalShinobi wrote:
343_Guilty_Spark wrote:

that's what i use to say when DVD first hit the market back in the old VHS days. DD is the future, i know you don't like it but it might help if you try to imagine as HDDs as the new hard copies of your movies.

Where's the cover art on a DD?

Why can't I display it on my shelves?

Do you own something on someone else's server?

I like to own physical copies of the things I pay real money for no matter how convenient a digital download is.

BTW, I still watch VHS tapes and I still use them to record the shows I'd miss without it. It's a lot cheaper than Tivo and the quality is fine for it. I might get a DVD recorder, but I doubt I can reuse DVDs like I do VHS tapes.

I'd rather use VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray, or what ever other physical media comes out next. At least I own it and I can do what ever I want with it, even sell it on Ebay if I don't want it any more. Can't do that with Digital Downloads.

I fear a future where people are happy paying for nothing. It takes control away from the consumer and puts it into the hands of companies that just want to squeeze more money out of us. The number one reason why they like DD is you can't resell it. No after market for used games and movies.

Well its' my right to do what I want with something I own. I paid for it so I should be able to sell it. How am I going to go down to the used store and buy cheap copies of games I didn't want to pay full price for?

You're future is bleak and it's nothing like the switch from VHS to DVD.
Back to top Go down
cannibalshinobi
cannibalshinobi

PostSubject: Re: 360 doesnt need bluray   360 doesnt need bluray EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 3:03 am

343_Guilty_Spark wrote:
CannibalShinobi wrote:
343_Guilty_Spark wrote:

I like to own physical copies of the things I pay real money for no matter how convenient a digital download is.

BTW, I still watch VHS tapes and I still use them to record the shows I'd miss without it. It's a lot cheaper than Tivo and the quality is fine for it. I might get a DVD recorder, but I doubt I can reuse DVDs like I do VHS tapes.

I'd rather use VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray, or what ever other physical media comes out next. At least I own it and I can do what ever I want with it, even sell it on Ebay if I don't want it any more. Can't do that with Digital Downloads.

I fear a future where people are happy paying for nothing. It takes control away from the consumer and puts it into the hands of companies that just want to squeeze more money out of us. The number one reason why they like DD is you can't resell it. No after market for used games and movies.

Well its' my right to do what I want with something I own. I paid for it so I should be able to sell it. How am I going to go down to the used store and buy cheap copies of games I didn't want to pay full price for?

umm, do you not get the whole idea of HDDs? HDDs are no different that DVDs, of course the hardware and such that they run with is of course different, but their functions are basically equal. If i buy a movie i can download it, put it on a flash drive or portable HDD, take it any where i want, trade it to whomever i wished. imagine the future walking into a store, pulling out a flash drive, plugging it into a small machine in the middle of the store floor and buying and getting any movie i wished. no more disappointments with movies being out of stock, easily finding that one movie you loved as a child that no one stocks up on any more.

with HDDs and flash memory it would be no different than vhs, cds, dvds, or blu ray. even a large portion of DVDs i own now are a product of DD, most legally while others are questionable of course. but hey, if you don't like the idea of carrying an HDD or flash stick you can always put the movie on a DVD or whatever format you prefer.

in the end DD is just a way of getting you what ever media you want, from there on it's depends on your preference of storage devices.

so no, my future isn't bleak, im looking quote forward to it. one more question... how many "Blu ray" movies have you watched without the need of any form of blu ray player?
Back to top Go down
343_Guilty_Spark
343_Guilty_Spark

PostSubject: Re: 360 doesnt need bluray   360 doesnt need bluray EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 4:17 am

CannibalShinobi wrote:
343_Guilty_Spark wrote:
CannibalShinobi wrote:
343_Guilty_Spark wrote:

umm, do you not get the whole idea of HDDs? HDDs are no different that DVDs, of course the hardware and such that they run with is of course different, but their functions are basically equal. If i buy a movie i can download it, put it on a flash drive or portable HDD, take it any where i want, trade it to whomever i wished. imagine the future walking into a store, pulling out a flash drive, plugging it into a small machine in the middle of the store floor and buying and getting any movie i wished. no more disappointments with movies being out of stock, easily finding that one movie you loved as a child that no one stocks up on any more.

with HDDs and flash memory it would be no different than vhs, cds, dvds, or blu ray. even a large portion of DVDs i own now are a product of DD, most legally while others are questionable of course. but hey, if you don't like the idea of carrying an HDD or flash stick you can always put the movie on a DVD or whatever format you prefer.

in the end DD is just a way of getting you what ever media you want, from there on it's depends on your preference of storage devices.

so no, my future isn't bleak, im looking quote forward to it. one more question... how many "Blu ray" movies have you watched without the need of any form of blu ray player?

Again I ask you:

Where is the DVD case and it's artwork?

Why can't I display it on my shelf in a collection?

Who would sell special editions and box sets?

What about limited editions?

Your future is only for rents and yes if you don't care about owning physical media then it certainly is convenient, but what about the collector? How can it be better if it doesn't have any of the stuff above?

Your future asks us all to forget about owning anything real, no more hard copies just digital bits. I really don't care if I can copy it to a harddrive or to an SD card. I can do that now by ripping it off my disc. If I wanted to break the law I could rip it and sell it, but I prefer to having a collection.

So long as I have a choice I will proudly buy and display my movies, games, books, and music. Even if I rip it to watch on a media player I still want my hard copies at home.
Back to top Go down
cannibalshinobi
cannibalshinobi

PostSubject: Re: 360 doesnt need bluray   360 doesnt need bluray EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 6:36 am

343_Guilty_Spark wrote:
Again I ask you:

Where is the DVD case and it's artwork?

i don't know what DVD cases that you buy but i haven't bought one yet that made me want to stare at it for a bit.

Quote :
Why can't I display it on my shelf in a collection?

i own well over 200 movies, do you think i would want to use up all that space? why even sport a movie collection? i never understood that mentality. i thought movies are meant to be watched on TV not on the book shelves where you store them in between actual viewing.

Quote :
Who would sell special editions and box sets?

i have bought the special editions of gears of war 2 and halo 3 and i have regretted it since. yeah, sure, the helmet makes a nice little decoration but that's it, in the end it's wasted money. but even with DD what is stopping people from buying all this extra crap? why can't i just buy the movie/game online, download it and if i want all the extra crap i can order it in the mail? i could actually play the game while i wait for the little meaningless extras.

Quote :
What about limited editions?

same as above.

Quote :
Your future is only for rents and yes if you don't care about owning physical media then it certainly is convenient, but what about the collector? How can it be better if it doesn't have any of the stuff above?

Your future asks us all to forget about owning anything real, no more hard copies just digital bits. I really don't care if I can copy it to a harddrive or to an SD card. I can do that now by ripping it off my disc. If I wanted to break the law I could rip it and sell it, but I prefer to having a collection.

So long as I have a choice I will proudly buy and display my movies, games, books, and music. Even if I rip it to watch on a media player I still want my hard copies at home.

i think you are confused on the fact that there is little difference between HDDs and and DVDs. they are both simply storage devices. if i put a movie on a SD or HDD i have just as much as a "hard" copy as any DVD that you own, it's just that HDD is far more convenient. no more disc swapping at all, hell even planet earth required 4 blu rays, all you movies in one place.

and what was that comment about how its only renting? the new features of xbox live zune marketplace allows you to fully purchase movies to own, itunes and many other sites allow you to purchase and permanently own movies. and guess what? if you delete and movie or loose it or it somehow becomes corrupt you can just re-download it free of charge. there is nothing like that just in case you get a big scratch on a DVD from dropping it or from an eccentric nephew or niece.
Back to top Go down
343_Guilty_Spark
343_Guilty_Spark

PostSubject: Re: 360 doesnt need bluray   360 doesnt need bluray EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 4:18 pm

[quote="CannibalShinobi"]

Quote :
i don't know what DVD cases that you buy but i haven't bought one yet that made me want to stare at it for a bit.

That's you, what about those of use that want the cover art to display. Why can't we collectors keep collecting?

Quote :
i own well over 200 movies, do you think i would want to use up all that space? why even sport a movie collection? i never understood that mentality. i thought movies are meant to be watched on TV not on the book shelves where you store them in between actual viewing.

"Why sport a movie collection?" For the same reason we build a book library or a game collection. We like it. Just becuase you don't care doesn't mean everyone wants to give up owning physical media.

Quote :
i have bought the special editions of gears of war 2 and halo 3 and i have regretted it since. yeah, sure, the helmet makes a nice little decoration but that's it, in the end it's wasted money. but even with DD what is stopping people from buying all this extra crap? why can't i just buy the movie/game online, download it and if i want all the extra crap i can order it in the mail? i could actually play the game while i wait for the little meaningless extras.

If you don't want the extras then don't buy them, they weren't meant for you. Collector's editions are for those of us that collect. That extra stuff is meant to entice buyers, if it's all DD then they aren't even going to offer it and I'd hate to see limited editions and collectors edition die out.

Quote :
i think you are confused on the fact that there is little difference between HDDs and and DVDs. they are both simply storage devices. if i put a movie on a SD or HDD i have just as much as a "hard" copy as any DVD that you own, it's just that HDD is far more convenient. no more disc swapping at all, hell even planet earth required 4 blu rays, all you movies in one place.

and what was that comment about how its only renting? the new features of xbox live zune marketplace allows you to fully purchase movies to own, itunes and many other sites allow you to purchase and permanently own movies. and guess what? if you delete and movie or loose it or it somehow becomes corrupt you can just re-download it free of charge. there is nothing like that just in case you get a big scratch on a DVD from dropping it or from an eccentric nephew or niece.

You seem to be confused about ownership. I own and can do anything I want with the DVDs I've bought. You only get to "use" your downloads so long as you keep them on your hard drive. Sure you can re-download them for free but that's only for as long as they offer it. At any time they can decided not to host the file and if you want it you're screwed, even if you already bought it.

At least with DVD I own it and nobody can stop me from owning it. If I break it at least I can buy it super cheap used. And as for HDD and DVDs just being storage devices, I disagree. They represent completely different concepts. Yeah they both let you watch movies but there's a big different between owning a hardcopy on DVD and files on a Hard drive. Files have no value while media goes up in value if it's rare. I have several games for Saturn and Dreamcast that are worth about $200 each. Files wouldn't do that, what's the point in collecting files?

Just becuase you like the idea doesn't mean everyone does.
Back to top Go down
Arbiteris
Arbiteris

PostSubject: Re: 360 doesnt need bluray   360 doesnt need bluray EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 6:07 pm

[quote="343_Guilty_Spark"]
CannibalShinobi wrote:

Quote :

That's you, what about those of use that want the cover art to display. Why can't we collectors keep collecting?

Quote :

"Why sport a movie collection?" For the same reason we build a book library or a game collection. We like it. Just becuase you don't care doesn't mean everyone wants to give up owning physical media.

Quote :

If you don't want the extras then don't buy them, they weren't meant for you. Collector's editions are for those of us that collect. That extra stuff is meant to entice buyers, if it's all DD then they aren't even going to offer it and I'd hate to see limited editions and collectors edition die out.

Quote :

You seem to be confused about ownership. I own and can do anything I want with the DVDs I've bought. You only get to "use" your downloads so long as you keep them on your hard drive. Sure you can re-download them for free but that's only for as long as they offer it. At any time they can decided not to host the file and if you want it you're screwed, even if you already bought it.

At least with DVD I own it and nobody can stop me from owning it. If I break it at least I can buy it super cheap used. And as for HDD and DVDs just being storage devices, I disagree. They represent completely different concepts. Yeah they both let you watch movies but there's a big different between owning a hardcopy on DVD and files on a Hard drive. Files have no value while media goes up in value if it's rare. I have several games for Saturn and Dreamcast that are worth about $200 each. Files wouldn't do that, what's the point in collecting files?

I Agree with Guilty Spark.Im just like him and so are many other people.
Back to top Go down
cannibalshinobi
cannibalshinobi

PostSubject: Re: 360 doesnt need bluray   360 doesnt need bluray EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 11:59 pm

Quote :

i doubt you always display the coverart, i bet most of the time when it's sitting in the shelf or drawer that all you see is the spine.

Quote :

first of all SDs and HDD are just as much as physical media as any CD or DVD. secondly why put so much emphases on displaying a collection rather than playing a collection. with DD you could get so much more due to distribution costs of "physical" media.

Quote :

once again you can always purchase all the extra stuff and have it delivered or picked up, me and a lot of people don't give a rats ass about all the extra crap. all it is is a waste of space. sure, its cool for the first couple of days but hey after a few years that master chief helmet will just end up in a box somewhere and completely forgotten.

Quote :

umm actually no, you can purchase, download, and do what you will with a lot of DD. download a movie and then decide to put it on DVD or SD or just keep it on the HDD. it acts like a backup of the usual DVD. As long as you are not making copies and handing them out, exact same thing with "physical" media, then you can do with it what you wish. hence you have ownership over it.

Quote :

and that's where you are wrong, DVDs are nothing but files on a digital file disc. the files on the DVD are no different that the files on the HDD. the only difference is that standard movie DVDs are not rewritten and are read-only so you can't mess with the files on the it but the concept is almost exactly the same. the only reason why we don't have movies coming out on SDs and tiny HDDs and due to huge cost differences with DVDs. they are essentially the same.

Quote :

apparently a lot of people love the idea, it happened with music and it will happen with movies and games, it's only a matter of time.
Back to top Go down
343_Guilty_Spark
343_Guilty_Spark

PostSubject: Re: 360 doesnt need bluray   360 doesnt need bluray EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 1:32 am

[quote="CannibalShinobi"]

Quote :
i doubt you always display the coverart, i bet most of the time when it's sitting in the shelf or drawer that all you see is the spine.

I display my collection in a few different ways. Sure most stuff is lined up like books, but my favorite stuff gets showcased. I don't put anything in a draw. What's the point of owning 30 years of video game history if you're not going to display it like a museum.

Quote :
first of all SDs and HDD are just as much as physical media as any CD or DVD. secondly why put so much emphases on displaying a collection rather than playing a collection. with DD you could get so much more due to distribution costs of "physical" media.

The point of games and movies is to enjoy them. After you've watched them it will be a while before you want to see them again. It's not so much an emphases on displaying, it's just nice to be able to enjoy the collection. If you're not a collector you wouldn't understand. BTW, do you really think publishers are going to drop the price of retail games for digital distribution? Nope, they'll still cost $60 but you don't get the disc, manual, and artwork.

Quote :
once again you can always purchase all the extra stuff and have it delivered or picked up, me and a lot of people don't give a rats ass about all the extra crap. all it is is a waste of space. sure, its cool for the first couple of days but hey after a few years that master chief helmet will just end up in a box somewhere and completely forgotten.

I can tell you're not a collector. The point of buying limited editions like the Master Chief Helmet is to add it to a collection and after 20 years you see it become a rare piece of video game history. If you don't give a rats ass about that then you're not going to care, but those of use that do will never accept a Digital Distro only world. Take a look at sports memorabilia or any collector's market. Videos games are the same and if you don't have a physical media it will have no value as the years go by.

Quote :
umm actually no, you can purchase, download, and do what you will with a lot of DD. download a movie and then decide to put it on DVD or SD or just keep it on the HDD. it acts like a backup of the usual DVD. As long as you are not making copies and handing them out, exact same thing with "physical" media, then you can do with it what you wish. hence you have ownership over it.

Who cares if it can be burned to a DVD, it's not an official retail package so it has no resale value. Games have been removed from Xbox Live Arcade, PSN, and the Wii Ware channel. Yeah, it's already happened for various reasons. If they stop supporting and offering them you're screwed if you need to re-download it. Do you think they'll just let you transfer it to the next console when they can force you to repurchase it over and over again? What if your console breaks or your harddrive dies?

Here's another one. I like to buy used games off Ebay and Amazon. I can't afford to buy every game I want at full retail price. But if wait awhile I can pick them up used for $10 or $15. That isn't possible with digital distros. The publishers control the prices and you can't sell them used. I'd be limited to far less games per year just becuase I'd no longer be able to buy used games.

Then there's the people who like to trade in. They bring in their old games and trade them in for others. If you don't care about collecting or if you just know you'll never play them again it's a great way to stretch you dollar. Digital distros have no value and can't be traded. You can't even get them off your Xbox harddrive.

Quote :
and that's where you are wrong, DVDs are nothing but files on a digital file disc. the files on the DVD are no different that the files on the HDD. the only difference is that standard movie DVDs are not rewritten and are read-only so you can't mess with the files on the it but the concept is almost exactly the same. the only reason why we don't have movies coming out on SDs and tiny HDDs and due to huge cost differences with DVDs. they are essentially the same.

Actualy you're wrong. The files may be the same, but those files are pressed onto a metal disc covered in plastic with costume artwork silkscreened onto it placed inside a protective case with literature and artwork. That makes all the difference in the world. It's not just a file I'm buying, it's the whole package. If I want to I can back it up or rip it to my media player. That's my right. I can do anything I want with it including selling it or letting a friend barrow it. So long as I have the disc I can do as I please and no company has any controlled over that. Look at all the ways music gets sold, a lot of times it has protections on it. That's just the beginning. If MS, Sony, or Nintendo make all their games digital only, you can bet you'll lose any right to do anything but play it on that single machine.

Quote :
apparently a lot of people love the idea, it happened with music and it will happen with movies and games, it's only a matter of time.

Like I said it's convenient. I personally don't buy much music and I don't collect it. Most of the time if there's a hit song I like I download it, but there are a few bands that I love and I always buy their CDs. Those I do put on a shelf with the rest of my purchased music. I like the artwork and the lyrics booklet. If I was into music as much as I am into games, movies, and books then I'd probably buy a lot more, used or new so I could display it like I do the rest of my libraries.
Back to top Go down
cannibalshinobi
cannibalshinobi

PostSubject: Re: 360 doesnt need bluray   360 doesnt need bluray EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 2:36 am

343_Guilty_Spark wrote:

I display my collection in a few different ways. Sure most stuff is lined up like books, but my favorite stuff gets showcased. I don't put anything in a draw. What's the point of owning 30 years of video game history if you're not going to display it like a museum.

why even buy the games if all you want to do is display them? who cares about the display? it's 4 seconds of eye candy and then it becomes old and uncared for. if you want to show your friends you collection, that's great, too bad they will only want to see it once and after that they would loose all interest. your video game library isn't like a museum, not many people want to see what you play.

Quote :
The point of games and movies is to enjoy them. After you've watched them it will be a while before you want to see them again. It's not so much an emphases on displaying, it's just nice to be able to enjoy the collection. If you're not a collector you wouldn't understand. BTW, do you really think publishers are going to drop the price of retail games for digital distribution? Nope, they'll still cost $60 but you don't get the disc, manual, and artwork.

have you ever been to steam? borderlands, a game that was released today, on the store shelves will cost you $60 plus tax while on DD clients such as steam the game goes for $45. so yes DD easily reduces the price of games.

Quote :
I can tell you're not a collector. The point of buying limited editions like the Master Chief Helmet is to add it to a collection and after 20 years you see it become a rare piece of video game history. If you don't give a rats ass about that then you're not going to care, but those of use that do will never accept a Digital Distro only world. Take a look at sports memorabilia or any collector's market. Videos games are the same and if you don't have a physical media it will have no value as the years go by.

and AGAIN with DD you can always buy the package BUT you can play the game while you wait for all the extra crap.

Quote :
Who cares if it can be burned to a DVD, it's not an official retail package so it has no resale value. Games have been removed from Xbox Live Arcade, PSN, and the Wii Ware channel. Yeah, it's already happened for various reasons. If they stop supporting and offering them you're screwed if you need to re-download it. Do you think they'll just let you transfer it to the next console when they can force you to repurchase it over and over again? What if your console breaks or your harddrive dies?

first of all you are even more screwed when it comes to breaking or scratching a DVD and not being able to find another copy that isn't already beat up on eBay. secondly have you ever bought something on xbox live and had your xbox break? it doesn't matter if your xbox breaks or your HDD kicks he bucket, all you have to do is recover your GT on another HDD or console and you can re-download everything you ever purchased. as long as you have you account information you never have to repurchase anything ever again, unlike DVDs, no matter how many blockbuster accounts i have i will never be able to get a free DVD copy of a movie just because my niece decided that my copy of lord of the rings looked like a great teething toy.

Quote :
Here's another one. I like to buy used games off Ebay and Amazon. I can't afford to buy every game I want at full retail price. But if wait awhile I can pick them up used for $10 or $15. That isn't possible with digital distros. The publishers control the prices and you can't sell them used. I'd be limited to far less games per year just becuase I'd no longer be able to buy used games.

with DD intitial retail prices could be reduced by $15-$20, and as time goes on those prices would only drop from there. D2D were selling a lot of games just for $5 and the best part is that they didn't even have a stock to run out of. on ebay, if you loose that bid you have to look for another one but with DD they never run out of copies.

Quote :
Then there's the people who like to trade in. They bring in their old games and trade them in for others. If you don't care about collecting or if you just know you'll never play them again it's a great way to stretch you dollar. Digital distros have no value and can't be traded. You can't even get them off your Xbox harddrive.

if you trade in games at a store you aren't really be smart about it. if you want to stretch your dollar DD is by far the best way. no more paying for gas, always have a backup safe at hand just in case, lower prices because you don't have to pay for the extra cardboard, plastic, and shipping costs. actually yes, you can get them off your HDD and it wouldn't matter since all you need is your GT and you can get that content for free on any other console.

[/quote] Actualy you're wrong. The files may be the same, but those files are pressed onto a metal disc covered in plastic with costume artwork silkscreened onto it placed inside a protective case with literature and artwork. That makes all the difference in the world. It's not just a file I'm buying, it's the whole package. If I want to I can back it up or rip it to my media player. That's my right. I can do anything I want with it including selling it or letting a friend barrow it. So long as I have the disc I can do as I please and no company has any controlled over that. Look at all the ways music gets sold, a lot of times it has protections on it. That's just the beginning. If MS, Sony, or Nintendo make all their games digital only, you can bet you'll lose any right to do anything but play it on that single machine. [/quote]

the whole package consists of nothing but extra cardboard and plastic with some ink on them that hundreds of thousands if not million of other have that has no real value. and BTW i have played my single purchase of Braid on 4 separate console, didn't even swap MUs or HDD.

[quote Like I said it's convenient. I personally don't buy much music and I don't collect it. Most of the time if there's a hit song I like I download it, but there are a few bands that I love and I always buy their CDs. Those I do put on a shelf with the rest of my purchased music. I like the artwork and the lyrics booklet. If I was into music as much as I am into games, movies, and books then I'd probably buy a lot more, used or new so I could display it like I do the rest of my libraries.[/quote]

and for the last time all that artwork and booklets can easily be purchased separately from the actual music. if anything DD provides far more choice than DVD ever will. if all i want is the movie then that all i will buy, and just like buying a care you can add on all the extras for a little bit more. in the end it still doesn't matter, DD is here to stay and it will overtake the rest of the entertainment industries, it's only a matter of time.
Back to top Go down
343_Guilty_Spark
343_Guilty_Spark

PostSubject: Re: 360 doesnt need bluray   360 doesnt need bluray EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 2:51 am

You consistently disregard why a collector collects and instead of admitting that you insult collectors. If you stop trumpeting the idea of Digital Distribution you might notice that it isn't perfect and certainly not for everyone. I'm not going to argue with you about all the details since you disregard them becuase you don't think they matter. They matter to me and I believe most consumers. We like being able to hold the thing we paid for.

You don't get it, that's fine, but stop trying to make DD sound like something great when those of us who prefer hard copies don't like it. As for your Borderland's comparison, the PC game sells for new at $49.99 and Amazon has an additional rebate and free shipping making it only $45 just like on Steam. And you can bet that after a week it will be $40 used and after a month it will be $30 used and after a year it will be less than $20 used if nobody likes it it could be less than $9. But on Steam it will only drop if the publisher wants to drop it. The only reason it's even close to being less or in this case the same as retail is becuase Steam has to compete with retail and they know people don't want to pay the same for less. Just becuase you don't care about the packaging or the merits of owning a disc doesn't remove the reality that people like getting a real life physical item when they use real money to buy it. If retail goes away then DD has no price competition and they can charge as much as they want. We consumers would no longer have control of the market.

Last I checked Netflix doesn't offer ALL their movies for streaming and when I've used that service I found it slow and lower quality than I like. Waiting for the DVD rental gets me too things. A great picture that I can watch on my TV instead of my computer and bonus features. I love bonus features, good luck getting a hold of those with DD. Bonus features are designed to entice people into buying DVDs. DD's only bonus is appearing to be cheaper or convenient. Of course I still prefer to buy my favorites, I only rent the ones I don't care enough about to buy.

Neither of us is going to change the others mind. I'm done arguing about this. Until you can download the content of a Blu-Ray over an average family's internet connection in American it's not going to replace retail packaging anyway. I'm sure if you took a poll more people would say they like retail media over DD, but as far as I know no such study has been done.
Back to top Go down
Blixtstorm
Blixtstorm

PostSubject: Re: 360 doesnt need bluray   360 doesnt need bluray EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 10:18 am

Still they are working on a quad->20 layer DVDs called VMD "Versatile Multilayer Disk" which are fully compatible with any DVD reader on the market.

Now 5GB per layer * 20 layers = 100GB, now that's twice as much as the Blu-ray game discs.

I'm just wondering when it will be done....

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

Still the Blu-ray disc may get quad layers and more, but The PS3 is limited for dual-layer disc for gaming, while movies can be more. Dont know about the 360 being able to use VMD because of "os" doesnt support it yet, but you never know might be a update like NXE that will fix it, later on.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Blixtstorm
Zombl337
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5

PostSubject: Re: 360 doesnt need bluray   360 doesnt need bluray EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 8:08 pm

Renting 1080p movies is a LOT cheaper than buying 1080p movies.
Back to top Go down
tr3ykilla
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class
tr3ykilla

PostSubject: Re: 360 doesnt need bluray   360 doesnt need bluray EmptyTue Oct 27, 2009 4:15 pm

we do need blu-ray, I hate having multiple discs for a game
Back to top Go down
Kendo
Ensign
Ensign
Kendo

PostSubject: Re: 360 doesnt need bluray   360 doesnt need bluray EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 11:45 pm

tr3ykilla wrote:
we do need blu-ray, I hate having multiple discs for a game
Perhaps next generation.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuboy1000
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 360 doesnt need bluray   360 doesnt need bluray Empty

Back to top Go down

360 doesnt need bluray
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum