This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.



 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log in  

 

 Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TheSnape
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class
TheSnape

Posts : 216
Join date : 2010-08-16
Age : 26
Location : UK

Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion Empty
PostSubject: Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion   Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 7:36 am

I've played both these games very long ago, and I've decided to make a thread comparing them:

Environment:
Both have splendid environments, but Oblivion's is free roam. It's this one large world; the cities are still there, but so are the contryside, the woods, the mountains, the peaks, the beauty of Cyrodiil. Dragon Age Origins has one like Fable; there are certain environment zones. Trust me, the zones are good (as is the DAO environment), but... Oblivion's idea is better, I think. There is nothing that can compare to Free Roaming.

Storyline:
Oblivion's is... wait a minute... yeah, you have to defeat the daedric forces, get Martin to the throne, etc. Quite a good storyline. But you don't get to influence your story's start. You start in prison regardless of who you are. DAO... you get multiple story starts, (noble human, city elf etc.) all of which I played, and you get to influence the story from there. People react to you depending on which race you are, the side quests are wonderful. Both have good storylines, but DAO's is better.

Morality:
Both have morality systems: in Oblivion, you have fame points and infamy points. You just gain infamy points by randomly killing people. You gain fame point for good quests, infamy points for bad quests. It's good. But not as good as DAO. Where your good or evil thing is determined by the choices you make. And they are difficult choices. Plus you have to judge which is good or evil. And it's a lot more complex. Which is better. So... DAO's morality system is better.

Graphics:
Both have wonderful graphics.... but, again, I think DAO wins out here. Also, the cutscenes (Oblivion doesn't have cutscenes) are really good, trust me.

Ability to kill random people:
Oblivion wins here. Annoyingly, DAO won't let you kill people.

Customization:
No winner. From the Imperial Dragon Armor you get in Oblivion, to the Grey Warden armor you get in DAO, there's no clear winner. Both have really good character customization options. Clothes and Facial.

Races
Oblivion wins here. It has a lot more races, and they look a lot better than in DAO. Argonians FTW!

Lets tally the scores up:

DAO:III
Oblivion:III

(let me know If I've added them up wrong)

So... you're asking... which one should you get?
Simple answer

Get both of them. And ignore the fact DAO is PG18; just wear your mom's high heels, your dad's jacket, and put on a fake beard, and the salesman will sell it to you! ..
Back to top Go down
Arbiteris
Four Star General (Moderator)
Four Star General (Moderator)
Arbiteris

Posts : 5064
Join date : 2009-09-15
Location : Sanghelios

Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion   Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 8:13 am

Oblivion>>>>>DAO hands down
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
Four Star General (Moderator)
Four Star General (Moderator)
DemonWolf

Posts : 9104
Join date : 2009-09-11
Age : 27
Location : UK? Yes I'm fine.

Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion   Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 8:25 am

I agree and disagree with quite a few things.

Yes, DAO has a better story. But graphically it's a disaster!
Even the cutscenes were very underwhelming graphically.
Gameplay-wise Oblivion also wins with better interaction, although dragon age combats cool, its kind of done for you...

btw not argonians ftw..... KHAJIIT FTW!!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
Pein
Four Star General (Moderator)
Four Star General (Moderator)
Pein

Posts : 1984
Join date : 2010-01-12
Age : 25
Location : Amagakure

Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion   Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 9:02 am

dragon age is way better than oblivion in my opinion but this was a good compare..
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
Four Star General (Moderator)
Four Star General (Moderator)
DemonWolf

Posts : 9104
Join date : 2009-09-11
Age : 27
Location : UK? Yes I'm fine.

Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion   Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 10:09 am

NobleSix wrote:
dragon age is way better than oblivion in my opinion but this was a good compare..

...still waiting for reasons....
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
Arbiteris
Four Star General (Moderator)
Four Star General (Moderator)
Arbiteris

Posts : 5064
Join date : 2009-09-15
Location : Sanghelios

Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion   Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 11:29 am

NobleSix wrote:
dragon age is way better than oblivion in my opinion but this was a good compare..

FANBOY!!!
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
Four Star General (Moderator)
Four Star General (Moderator)
DemonWolf

Posts : 9104
Join date : 2009-09-11
Age : 27
Location : UK? Yes I'm fine.

Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion   Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 11:41 am

Arbiteris wrote:
NobleSix wrote:
dragon age is way better than oblivion in my opinion but this was a good compare..

FANBOY!!!

YER! WHAT A NOOB HE IS.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
Arbiteris
Four Star General (Moderator)
Four Star General (Moderator)
Arbiteris

Posts : 5064
Join date : 2009-09-15
Location : Sanghelios

Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion   Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 12:00 pm

Hey DDD,Argonian >>>> Khajiit
Back to top Go down
TheSnape
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class
TheSnape

Posts : 216
Join date : 2010-08-16
Age : 26
Location : UK

Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion   Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 12:42 pm

Small thing about oblivion:

Why can't they make Imperials the same height as Nords and Orcs?

Also:

DemonWolf wrote:
dragon age combats cool, its kind of done for you...

That's one of my gripes about DAO

call me old fashioned, but I prefer to do the combat rather than have it done for me. The raw simplicitiy of oblivion's combat was absolutely wonderful. Many's the time i was shooting fireballs at cyrodiil guards with my character. also if you max your speed, the combat effects are wonderful. Jumping was also a wonderful thing to do, especially when fighting minotaurs.

Although one thing I love about DAO is the fact that you can control the other grey wardens. You also have a consistent group of companions, and can switch between them.
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
Four Star General (Moderator)
Four Star General (Moderator)
DemonWolf

Posts : 9104
Join date : 2009-09-11
Age : 27
Location : UK? Yes I'm fine.

Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion   Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 1:43 pm

^
So true! I prefer Oblivion's combat a lot more overall. It's moreimmersive.

Yeah...it's cool to control other chaacters, also other species but it still isn't as enjoyable as Oblivion overall imo.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
TRF
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
TRF

Posts : 1480
Join date : 2009-10-03

Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion   Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 2:56 pm

The main difference between the combat is where the skill is coming from. In Oblivion, your hit accuracy is based on how well you can aim a fireball, arrow, etc. The same goes for Mass Effect and the first-person Fallout games. Most RPGs, however, are based on character skill, and not player skill. Those are games like Dragon Age: Origins, Morrowind, World of Warcraft, Diablo, Torchwood, etc. For example, in Morrowind, your spell accuracy is based on how high your magic level is. Whether you yourself have dead aim is irrelevant.

I prefer learning skills myself, which is why I prefer the former form of combat, although I wish Oblivion had a deeper combat system. It was pretty shallow.
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
Four Star General (Moderator)
Four Star General (Moderator)
DemonWolf

Posts : 9104
Join date : 2009-09-11
Age : 27
Location : UK? Yes I'm fine.

Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion   Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 6:39 am

TRF wrote:
The main difference between the combat is where the skill is coming from. In Oblivion, your hit accuracy is based on how well you can aim a fireball, arrow, etc. The same goes for Mass Effect and the first-person Fallout games. Most RPGs, however, are based on character skill, and not player skill. Those are games like Dragon Age: Origins, Morrowind, World of Warcraft, Diablo, Torchwood, etc. For example, in Morrowind, your spell accuracy is based on how high your magic level is. Whether you yourself have dead aim is irrelevant.

I prefer learning skills myself, which is why I prefer the former form of combat, although I wish Oblivion had a deeper combat system. It was pretty shallow.

Yeah. True. I know what you mean, as well... Oblivion's combat was kind of just ...well a little tedious. But hey, it is satisfying Razz
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
Guest
Guest



Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion   Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 1:23 pm

DemonWolf wrote:
TRF wrote:
The main difference between the combat is where the skill is coming from. In Oblivion, your hit accuracy is based on how well you can aim a fireball, arrow, etc. The same goes for Mass Effect and the first-person Fallout games. Most RPGs, however, are based on character skill, and not player skill. Those are games like Dragon Age: Origins, Morrowind, World of Warcraft, Diablo, Torchwood, etc. For example, in Morrowind, your spell accuracy is based on how high your magic level is. Whether you yourself have dead aim is irrelevant.

I prefer learning skills myself, which is why I prefer the former form of combat, although I wish Oblivion had a deeper combat system. It was pretty shallow.

Yeah. True. I know what you mean, as well... Oblivion's combat was kind of just ...well a little tedious. But hey, it is satisfying Razz

There is nothing better than slashing down guards as fast as you can in Oblivion Razz
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
Four Star General (Moderator)
Four Star General (Moderator)
DemonWolf

Posts : 9104
Join date : 2009-09-11
Age : 27
Location : UK? Yes I'm fine.

Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion   Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 1:36 pm

TheJubJub5721 wrote:
DemonWolf wrote:
TRF wrote:
The main difference between the combat is where the skill is coming from. In Oblivion, your hit accuracy is based on how well you can aim a fireball, arrow, etc. The same goes for Mass Effect and the first-person Fallout games. Most RPGs, however, are based on character skill, and not player skill. Those are games like Dragon Age: Origins, Morrowind, World of Warcraft, Diablo, Torchwood, etc. For example, in Morrowind, your spell accuracy is based on how high your magic level is. Whether you yourself have dead aim is irrelevant.

I prefer learning skills myself, which is why I prefer the former form of combat, although I wish Oblivion had a deeper combat system. It was pretty shallow.

Yeah. True. I know what you mean, as well... Oblivion's combat was kind of just ...well a little tedious. But hey, it is satisfying Razz

There is nothing better than slashing down guards as fast as you can in Oblivion Razz

or just innocents Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
Blixtstorm
Four Star General (Moderator)
Four Star General (Moderator)
Blixtstorm

Posts : 2699
Join date : 2009-09-12
Age : 30
Location : Swēoþēod/Svíþjóð

Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion   Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 2:41 pm

Oblivion

Metascore: 94 (X360)

Prices:
G4 GOTY
Spike GOTY
Golden Joystick Award
Shacknews GOTY
1UP RPG-OTY
IGN RPG-OTY 'Readers Choice'
Gamespy GOTY
Gamespot GOTY
Interactive Achievement Awards



Dragon Age: Origins

Metascore: 86 (X360)

Prices:

Spike RPG of the Year 2009...

All the others are the PC version....


Clearly you see what game is best Very Happy

TBH I think TES4 is one of the best games ever created, and the graphics are better then Dragon Age even if the game is 3 years older... Poor effort by Bioware!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Blixtstorm
TheSnape
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class
TheSnape

Posts : 216
Join date : 2010-08-16
Age : 26
Location : UK

Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion   Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 3:02 am

TheJubJub5721 wrote:
DemonWolf wrote:
TRF wrote:
The main difference between the combat is where the skill is coming from. In Oblivion, your hit accuracy is based on how well you can aim a fireball, arrow, etc. The same goes for Mass Effect and the first-person Fallout games. Most RPGs, however, are based on character skill, and not player skill. Those are games like Dragon Age: Origins, Morrowind, World of Warcraft, Diablo, Torchwood, etc. For example, in Morrowind, your spell accuracy is based on how high your magic level is. Whether you yourself have dead aim is irrelevant.

I prefer learning skills myself, which is why I prefer the former form of combat, although I wish Oblivion had a deeper combat system. It was pretty shallow.

Yeah. True. I know what you mean, as well... Oblivion's combat was kind of just ...well a little tedious. But hey, it is satisfying Razz

There is nothing better than slashing down guards as fast as you can in Oblivion Razz

I disagree.

I personally think shooting very powerful fireballs at them is better entertainment.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion   Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 10:08 pm

Josephine Romano wrote:
TheJubJub5721 wrote:
DemonWolf wrote:
TRF wrote:
The main difference between the combat is where the skill is coming from. In Oblivion, your hit accuracy is based on how well you can aim a fireball, arrow, etc. The same goes for Mass Effect and the first-person Fallout games. Most RPGs, however, are based on character skill, and not player skill. Those are games like Dragon Age: Origins, Morrowind, World of Warcraft, Diablo, Torchwood, etc. For example, in Morrowind, your spell accuracy is based on how high your magic level is. Whether you yourself have dead aim is irrelevant.

I prefer learning skills myself, which is why I prefer the former form of combat, although I wish Oblivion had a deeper combat system. It was pretty shallow.

Yeah. True. I know what you mean, as well... Oblivion's combat was kind of just ...well a little tedious. But hey, it is satisfying Razz

There is nothing better than slashing down guards as fast as you can in Oblivion Razz

I disagree.

I personally think shooting very powerful fireballs at them is better entertainment.

Meh, Mage was never something of my interest. In games like this I was always a warrior or scout.
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
Four Star General (Moderator)
Four Star General (Moderator)
DemonWolf

Posts : 9104
Join date : 2009-09-11
Age : 27
Location : UK? Yes I'm fine.

Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion   Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 7:42 am

TheJubJub5721 wrote:
Josephine Romano wrote:
TheJubJub5721 wrote:
DemonWolf wrote:
TRF wrote:
The main difference between the combat is where the skill is coming from. In Oblivion, your hit accuracy is based on how well you can aim a fireball, arrow, etc. The same goes for Mass Effect and the first-person Fallout games. Most RPGs, however, are based on character skill, and not player skill. Those are games like Dragon Age: Origins, Morrowind, World of Warcraft, Diablo, Torchwood, etc. For example, in Morrowind, your spell accuracy is based on how high your magic level is. Whether you yourself have dead aim is irrelevant.

I prefer learning skills myself, which is why I prefer the former form of combat, although I wish Oblivion had a deeper combat system. It was pretty shallow.

Yeah. True. I know what you mean, as well... Oblivion's combat was kind of just ...well a little tedious. But hey, it is satisfying Razz

There is nothing better than slashing down guards as fast as you can in Oblivion Razz

I disagree.

I personally think shooting very powerful fireballs at them is better entertainment.

Meh, Mage was never something of my interest. In games like this I was always a warrior or scout.

Same. And to me the best aspect was exploration and immersion. Whenever I play Oblivion it's not for the combat, it's not for the storyline, it's not for anything really... except to feel immersed into another world Razz
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
Guest
Guest



Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion   Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 3:56 pm

DemonWolf wrote:
TheJubJub5721 wrote:
Josephine Romano wrote:
TheJubJub5721 wrote:
DemonWolf wrote:
TRF wrote:
The main difference between the combat is where the skill is coming from. In Oblivion, your hit accuracy is based on how well you can aim a fireball, arrow, etc. The same goes for Mass Effect and the first-person Fallout games. Most RPGs, however, are based on character skill, and not player skill. Those are games like Dragon Age: Origins, Morrowind, World of Warcraft, Diablo, Torchwood, etc. For example, in Morrowind, your spell accuracy is based on how high your magic level is. Whether you yourself have dead aim is irrelevant.

I prefer learning skills myself, which is why I prefer the former form of combat, although I wish Oblivion had a deeper combat system. It was pretty shallow.

Yeah. True. I know what you mean, as well... Oblivion's combat was kind of just ...well a little tedious. But hey, it is satisfying Razz

There is nothing better than slashing down guards as fast as you can in Oblivion Razz

I disagree.

I personally think shooting very powerful fireballs at them is better entertainment.

Meh, Mage was never something of my interest. In games like this I was always a warrior or scout.

Same. And to me the best aspect was exploration and immersion. Whenever I play Oblivion it's not for the combat, it's not for the storyline, it's not for anything really... except to feel immersed into another world Razz

I agree. The game is amazing at that.
Back to top Go down
TheSnape
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class
TheSnape

Posts : 216
Join date : 2010-08-16
Age : 26
Location : UK

Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion   Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 9:20 am

TheJubJub5721 wrote:
DemonWolf wrote:
TheJubJub5721 wrote:
Josephine Romano wrote:
TheJubJub5721 wrote:
DemonWolf wrote:
TRF wrote:
The main difference between the combat is where the skill is coming from. In Oblivion, your hit accuracy is based on how well you can aim a fireball, arrow, etc. The same goes for Mass Effect and the first-person Fallout games. Most RPGs, however, are based on character skill, and not player skill. Those are games like Dragon Age: Origins, Morrowind, World of Warcraft, Diablo, Torchwood, etc. For example, in Morrowind, your spell accuracy is based on how high your magic level is. Whether you yourself have dead aim is irrelevant.

I prefer learning skills myself, which is why I prefer the former form of combat, although I wish Oblivion had a deeper combat system. It was pretty shallow.

Yeah. True. I know what you mean, as well... Oblivion's combat was kind of just ...well a little tedious. But hey, it is satisfying Razz

There is nothing better than slashing down guards as fast as you can in Oblivion Razz

I disagree.

I personally think shooting very powerful fireballs at them is better entertainment.

Meh, Mage was never something of my interest. In games like this I was always a warrior or scout.

Same. And to me the best aspect was exploration and immersion. Whenever I play Oblivion it's not for the combat, it's not for the storyline, it's not for anything really... except to feel immersed into another world Razz

I agree. The game is amazing at that.

yeah. Cyrodiil is an amazing country.

Hope TES V is in Black Marsh or Valenwood... although DemonWolf probably would say it should be in Elsweyr Razz
Back to top Go down
TRF
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
TRF

Posts : 1480
Join date : 2009-10-03

Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion   Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 10:31 am

Josephine Romano wrote:
Hope TES V is in Black Marsh or Valenwood... although DemonWolf probably would say it should be in Elsweyr Razz
A year or so ago (possibly two), BethSoft took out a patent for the name "Skyrim", leading people to believe that TESV will take place in Skyrim.
Back to top Go down
Arbiteris
Four Star General (Moderator)
Four Star General (Moderator)
Arbiteris

Posts : 5064
Join date : 2009-09-15
Location : Sanghelios

Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion   Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 11:24 am

TRF wrote:
Josephine Romano wrote:
Hope TES V is in Black Marsh or Valenwood... although DemonWolf probably would say it should be in Elsweyr Razz
A year or so ago (possibly two), BethSoft took out a patent for the name "Skyrim", leading people to believe that TESV will take place in Skyrim.

I hope its not skryim.
Back to top Go down
TheSnape
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class
TheSnape

Posts : 216
Join date : 2010-08-16
Age : 26
Location : UK

Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion   Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 12:34 pm

TRF wrote:
Josephine Romano wrote:
Hope TES V is in Black Marsh or Valenwood... although DemonWolf probably would say it should be in Elsweyr Razz
A year or so ago (possibly two), BethSoft took out a patent for the name "Skyrim", leading people to believe that TESV will take place in Skyrim.

NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! Sad Evil or Very Mad Sad Evil or Very Mad

Why not somewhere more interesting? Black Marsh? Or Valenwood?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion   Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion Empty

Back to top Go down
 
Dragon Age Origins Vs Oblivion
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Dragon Rider a Stikfas Custom
» Dragon Adopter question.
» How To Train Your Dragon: Book 1 by Cressida Cowell
» What should I name my dragon? :3
» X Men Origins Wolverine deluxe sets

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: User Created :: Game Reviews-
Jump to: