This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Help please

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GamerKing
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class
GamerKing

Help please Empty
PostSubject: Help please   Help please EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 3:55 am

Okay okay, I am planing on upgrading to a better gaming laptop either Alienware or Asus which will have Windows 7 of course, but here is the thing. Which is better Asus or Alienware? Can they play Star wars knight of old republic 2 with ease? The reason why is because people say they both can play any PC game you throw at them and thats why I am planing on buying one of them.

So which one is better.

Note: I am not planing on getting the Alienware m11 since it does not have a disc-drive.
Back to top Go down

Help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help please   Help please EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 10:48 am

I'm not really too knowledgable on gaming laptops but KOTOR is an old game, it should run it no problem at all.
Back to top Go down
theone.
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer
theone.

Help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help please   Help please EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 11:23 am

TheJubJub5721 wrote:
I'm not really too knowledgable on gaming laptops but KOTOR is an old game, it should run it no problem at all.

Sorry, but I have no idea to run games on PC's. Ask Blixstorm, he knows a lot about PC gaming.
Back to top Go down
GamerKing
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class
GamerKing

Help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help please   Help please EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 3:20 pm

Thanks guys.

I have a stupid vista Toshiba and it can not run the game or most games.

I can only play certain games on my laptop and I would need to buy a lot of requirements. Which I do not feel like doing anymore.
Back to top Go down
NightFang91
Senior Chief Petty Officer
NightFang91

Help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help please   Help please EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 3:22 pm

Get an asus. Alienware is considered to be overpriced shit among PC gamers.

But buying a laptop for gaming is a bad idea in the first place... You get very little for what you pay.
Back to top Go down
GamerKing
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class
GamerKing

Help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help please   Help please EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 3:24 pm

NightFang91 wrote:

But buying a laptop for gaming is a bad idea in the first place... You get very little for what you pay.

How so?
Back to top Go down

Help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help please   Help please EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 3:27 pm

GamerKing wrote:
Thanks guys.

I can only play certain games on my laptop and I would need to buy a lot of requirements. Which I do not feel like doing anymore.

No problem. I also have Vista at the moment (compaq laptop) and it sucks. I was gonna upgrade but I just don't have the money right now. But yeah, most old games don't run well (or at all) on Vista. But it runs Stronghold crusader, so I am good Razz
Back to top Go down
GamerKing
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class
GamerKing

Help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help please   Help please EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 3:31 pm

TheJubJub5721 wrote:
GamerKing wrote:
Thanks guys.

No problem. I also have Vista at the moment (compaq laptop) and it sucks. I was gonna upgrade but I just don't have the money right now. But yeah, most old games don't run well (or at all) on Vista. But it runs Stronghold crusader, so I am good Razz

Yeah, I am saving up for a expensive laptop. I already have $300, asked my parents for a job and been working all the time for a new laptop. I really need a windows 7. Why don't you plan to get one, from what I heard, its a really really really good OS.

Its worth it and you would be able to play most games. Cool
Back to top Go down

Help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help please   Help please EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 3:32 pm

GamerKing wrote:
TheJubJub5721 wrote:
GamerKing wrote:
Thanks guys.

Yeah, I am saving up for a expensive laptop. I already have $300, asked my parents for a job and been working all the time for a new laptop. I really need a windows 7. Why don't you plan to get one, from what I heard, its a really really really good OS.

I am probably going too on Black Friday. I was gonna go buy a bunch of ram for my various computers too, so I will probably pick it up then.
Back to top Go down
GamerKing
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class
GamerKing

Help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help please   Help please EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 3:34 pm

TheJubJub5721 wrote:
GamerKing wrote:
TheJubJub5721 wrote:
GamerKing wrote:
Thanks guys.

I am probably going too on Black Friday. I was gonna go buy a bunch of ram for my various computers too, so I will probably pick it up then.

Thats good.
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Stoney

Help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help please   Help please EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 3:41 pm

Sorry for going off topic, but check out the price of this PC. Its from a site here in Ireland. And I know you can build a gaming PC for a hell of a lot cheaper, but who would pay for somehting this expensive?? confused

http://www.custompc.ie/intel-i7-extreme-980---ati-radeon-hd5870-dual-limited-edition-25161-p.asp

5499 Euros!!! Suspect
Back to top Go down

Help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help please   Help please EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 3:48 pm

Stoney wrote:
Sorry for going off topic, but check out the price of this PC. Its from a site here in Ireland. And I know you can build a gaming PC for a hell of a lot cheaper, but who would pay for somehting this expensive?? confused

http://www.custompc.ie/intel-i7-extreme-980---ati-radeon-hd5870-dual-limited-edition-25161-p.asp

5499 Euros!!! Suspect

The real question is who would put a wifi card in their desktop???
Back to top Go down
GamerKing
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class
GamerKing

Help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help please   Help please EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 3:52 pm

Stoney wrote:

5499 Euros!!! Suspect

True, true...

But this is what I am planing on getting.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pc-scout/laptop-details.aspx?pcid=65a77de7-57ac-de11-89ea-02bf9d3bf32a
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Stoney

Help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help please   Help please EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 4:02 pm

Almost 1500 dollars? I'm not sure but I heard that it's next to impossible to upgrade Laptops? Could be wrong. Why not get a desktop? I'm sure Jamin and Blixtstorm could help you out with parts and whatnot. You could potential save yourself a fortune all while still building the PC you want. Very Happy

Unless of course you're set on a gaming laptop?
Back to top Go down

Help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help please   Help please EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 4:18 pm

Stoney wrote:
Almost 1500 dollars? I'm not sure but I heard that it's next to impossible to upgrade Laptops? Could be wrong. Why not get a desktop? I'm sure Jamin and Blixtstorm could help you out with parts and whatnot. You could potential save yourself a fortune all while still building the PC you want. Very Happy

Laptops are really hard to upgrade, besides the HDD and Ram.
Back to top Go down
GamerKing
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class
GamerKing

Help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help please   Help please EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 4:40 pm

Stoney wrote:

I am not really into Desktop computers. I like a computer that I can move around with IE a PC.

But thanks though.
Back to top Go down
NightFang91
NightFang91

Help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help please   Help please EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 4:44 pm

GamerKing wrote:
NightFang91 wrote:

How so?

Because you get less performance while paying for more.
Back to top Go down
GamerKing
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class
GamerKing

Help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help please   Help please EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 4:47 pm

NightFang91 wrote:
GamerKing wrote:
NightFang91 wrote:

How so?

Oh.

But I have a question.

Can gaming laptops do movies,good internet, windows word, and music? Because those are just the secondary things I need.

Just rate them.
Back to top Go down

Help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help please   Help please EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 4:57 pm

GamerKing wrote:
NightFang91 wrote:
GamerKing wrote:
NightFang91 wrote:

How so?

Oh.

But I have a question.

Can gaming laptops do movies,good internet, windows word, and music? Because those are just the secondary things I need.

Just rate them.

Gaming laptops can do all that. Probably better than most computers too.
Back to top Go down
Blixtstorm
Four Star General (Moderator)
Blixtstorm

Help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help please   Help please EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 5:13 pm

Alienware is an overpriced Dell XPS, so if you would have the choice get the Dell over the AW.

However if price isnt a issue, get the Alienware.

Just make sure,

Intel i7 or i5 preferably i7 processor.

Good to 'decent' graphics card, this is the most important feature to a gaming PC. To be certain check http://www.futuremark.com/ . They have the best card on list under hardware in the top bar. Just look for the card that is in the laptop.

RAM, Random Access Memory is the core of all usage of the computer, everything goes throught it. For new games to run good you will need atleast 1,5-2Gb to run the game with out hassle, however some is used by the OS and other stuff in the background so be sure to have atleast about 4GB. DDR3 or higher preferably.

Harddisk. Most new computer may come with a SSD disk or Solid State Drive, they are extremly fast and they cost a small fortune to get. However the SSD disks are still very small compared to normal spinning disks. SSD ranges to about 150GB of storage today and cost extremly much at that size. There are alternatives, most older fast disk may have the sam size but are considerably less costsum. Normal disks today ranges from 300GB to about 2-3 TB.
Its really up to the user. Speed vs Storage.

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Blixtstorm
GamerKing
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class
GamerKing

Help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help please   Help please EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 5:16 pm

Blixtstorm wrote:
Alienware is an overpriced Dell XPS, so if you would have the choice get the Dell over the AW.

However if price isnt a issue, get the Alienware.

Just make sure,

Intel i7 or i5 preferably i7 processor.

Good to 'decent' graphics card, this is the most important feature to a gaming PC. To be certain check http://www.futuremark.com/ . They have the best card on list under hardware in the top bar. Just look for the card that is in the laptop.

RAM, Random Access Memory is the core of all usage of the computer, everything goes throught it. For new games to run good you will need atleast 1,5-2Gb to run the game with out hassle, however some is used by the OS and other stuff in the background so be sure to have atleast about 4GB. DDR3 or higher preferably.

Harddisk. Most new computer may come with a SSD disk or Solid State Drive, they are extremly fast and they cost a small fortune to get. However the SSD disks are still very small compared to normal spinning disks. SSD ranges to about 150GB of storage today and cost extremly much at that size. There are alternatives, most older fast disk may have the sam size but are considerably less costsum. Normal disks today ranges from 300GB to about 2-3 TB.
Its really up to the user. Speed vs Storage.

Thanks for the good info, Alienware has one of the best graphic card. But what about the Asus?
Back to top Go down
Blixtstorm
Blixtstorm

Help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help please   Help please EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 6:04 pm

Asus = Work PC
Alienware = Gaming PC

Its your choice really, a laptop made for gaming by a game pc company. Or a powerful laptop made by work/school pc company.

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Blixtstorm
NightFang91
NightFang91

Help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help please   Help please EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 6:28 pm

Which models are you looking at? I'd feel sorry for you if you bought an Alienware.
Back to top Go down
GamerKing
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class
GamerKing

Help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help please   Help please EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 5:34 am

Blixtstorm wrote:
Asus = Work PC
Alienware = Gaming PC

Its your choice really, a laptop made for gaming by a game pc company. Or a powerful laptop made by work/school pc company.

I'll think about it.
Back to top Go down
GamerKing
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class
GamerKing

Help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help please   Help please EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 5:37 am

NightFang91 wrote:
Which models are you looking at? I'd feel sorry for you if you bought an Alienware.

I didn't buy a alienware yet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help please   Help please Empty

Back to top Go down

Help please
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Other Platforms :: PC Gaming-
Jump to: