This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Help please

Go down 
+3
NightFang91
theone.
GamerKing
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
NightFang91
Senior Chief Petty Officer
NightFang91

Help please - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help please   Help please - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 8:14 am

GamerKing wrote:

I didn't buy a alienware yet.

Good. So what models are you looking at?
Back to top Go down
DarkSwarm85
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer
DarkSwarm85

PostSubject: Re: Help please   Help please - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 8:59 am

Back to top Go down
ghost23
Four Star General (Moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Help please   Help please - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 9:04 am

Don't go with Alienware, you are paying so much more for a slight increase in performance. If you are really serious about PC gaming and want to run everything at max settings, you should buy a desktop. I got the Dell Studio XPS 16 which is a lot cheaper than the Alienware and it runs all of 2010 games well but not at high settings.
Back to top Go down
NightFang91
NightFang91

PostSubject: Re: Help please   Help please - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 11:24 am

ghost23 wrote:
Don't go with Alienware, you are paying so much more for a slight increase in performance. If you are really serious about PC gaming and want to run everything at max settings, you should buy a desktop. I got the Dell Studio XPS 16 which is a lot cheaper than the Alienware and it runs all of 2010 games well but not at high settings.

If he's building a desktop computer he should pick the parts himself and either build it himself or let the store do it for him.

I've had lots of problems with Dell computers. Their support staff are extremely retarded. I wouldn't recommend Dell to anyone. Oh, and Alienware is owned by Dell.

Here's my experience with Dell:
  • They are very hard to upgrade, because they use custom built motherboards that only fit their cases
  • My brothers Dell broke down and the support techician told my mother to swtich the voltage selector on the PSU from 230 (Swedish) to 115 (US) voltage, causing the computer to blow up Neutral
  • Due to the above mishap, they had to replace the graphics card, but forgot to remove the plastic sheets that protects the hardware from scratching during transport. Since the plastic sheet sat ontop of the fan intake, it caused the GPU to constantly overheat.
  • The Dell computer suffered from bad electro magnetic interference, which causes irritating sounds when the GPU is under load
  • The Dell monitor broke after 2-3 years

In short: Avoid Dell and Alienware if you want a desktop. If getting a desktop comp, build it yourself (or have someone do it for you). You get more bang for your buck. If you want a gaming laptop (which I advise against), get an Asus. If you buy an alienware laptop, computer enthusiasts will laugh at you for buying an overpriced ricer.
Back to top Go down
GamerKing
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class
GamerKing

PostSubject: Re: Help please   Help please - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 3:22 pm

Back to top Go down
GamerKing
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class
GamerKing

PostSubject: Re: Help please   Help please - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 3:48 pm

ghost23 wrote:

Thanks, a lot of people say I should not get the Alienware, but I am not into Desktops.

1.I like to move around.

2.I don't have enough room for a desktop in my room.

3.My mom already has a non gaming one in her room.

4.I like bringing my laptop places.
Back to top Go down
GamerKing
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class
GamerKing

PostSubject: Re: Help please   Help please - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 3:51 pm

NightFang91 wrote:
ghost23 wrote:

If he's building a desktop computer he should pick the parts himself and either build it himself or let the store do it for him.

I've had lots of problems with Dell computers. Their support staff are extremely retarded. I wouldn't recommend Dell to anyone. Oh, and Alienware is owned by Dell.

Here's my experience with Dell:
  • They are very hard to upgrade, because they use custom built motherboards that only fit their cases
  • My brothers Dell broke down and the support techician told my mother to swtich the voltage selector on the PSU from 230 (Swedish) to 115 (US) voltage, causing the computer to blow up Neutral
  • Due to the above mishap, they had to replace the graphics card, but forgot to remove the plastic sheets that protects the hardware from scratching during transport. Since the plastic sheet sat ontop of the fan intake, it caused the GPU to constantly overheat.
  • The Dell computer suffered from bad electro magnetic interference, which causes irritating sounds when the GPU is under load
  • The Dell monitor broke after 2-3 years

In short: Avoid Dell and Alienware if you want a desktop. If getting a desktop comp, build it yourself (or have someone do it for you). You get more bang for your buck. If you want a gaming laptop (which I advise against), get an Asus. If you buy an alienware laptop, computer enthusiasts will laugh at you for buying an overpriced ricer.

Thanks for the info, I do not like Dell and I did not know Alienware was owned by Dell. Shocked

Your computer blew up. Shocked

I am definitely getting a Asus. Thanks for warning me.
Back to top Go down
GamerKing
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class
GamerKing

PostSubject: Re: Help please   Help please - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 6:19 pm

Okay I think I might change my mind in buying a new computer. I might just build my laptop into a gaming laptop. I want it to play any game(Past and present games). But what requirements would I need to do so.

Can you guys list them
Back to top Go down
Blixtstorm
Blixtstorm

PostSubject: Re: Help please   Help please - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 6:41 pm

GamerKing wrote:
Okay I think I might change my mind in buying a new computer. I might just build my laptop into a gaming laptop. I want it to play any game(Past and present games). But what requirements would I need to do so.

Can you guys list them

Upgrading a laptop is not recommended!

You see the airflow in a laptop is almost always suited for the processor and gpu that is shipped with. However if you are going to do it, you should check the spec sheet for your laptop by the maker.

You need to check following things:

1. Does it support upgrade.

2 What type of Socket it is. Processors are sold from a specified socket, for example Socket AM3 for the newest AMD and Socket 1366 for new Intel i5 and i7. This is the basic upgrade you can do on a laptop.

3. Does it support a mobile graphics card? If so, this is the most important part of a gaming PC.

4. RAM upgrade? How many slots? Single, Dual or Triple sided? Also a important upgrade.

Note, everything you do on you laptop will void any type of warranty and is not suggested as it is cheaper to buy a new one and far easier.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Blixtstorm
GamerKing
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class
GamerKing

PostSubject: Re: Help please   Help please - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 4:44 am

Blixtstorm wrote:
GamerKing wrote:

Can you guys list them

Upgrading a laptop is not recommended!

You see the airflow in a laptop is almost always suited for the processor and gpu that is shipped with. However if you are going to do it, you should check the spec sheet for your laptop by the maker.

You need to check following things:

1. Does it support upgrade.

2 What type of Socket it is. Processors are sold from a specified socket, for example Socket AM3 for the newest AMD and Socket 1366 for new Intel i5 and i7. This is the basic upgrade you can do on a laptop.

3. Does it support a mobile graphics card? If so, this is the most important part of a gaming PC.

4. RAM upgrade? How many slots? Single, Dual or Triple sided? Also a important upgrade.

Note, everything you do on you laptop will void any type of warranty and is not suggested as it is cheaper to buy a new one and far easier.

Thanks for the info, I'll see what I can do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help please   Help please - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Help please
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Other Platforms :: PC Gaming-
Jump to: