This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.



 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log in  

 

 Demon's Souls

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Stigma
Four Star General (Moderator)
Four Star General (Moderator)
Stigma

Posts : 2309
Join date : 2009-12-01
Location : US

Demon's Souls Empty
PostSubject: Demon's Souls   Demon's Souls EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 3:00 am

I got Demon's Souls a few days after Christmas and I haven't touched my 360 since. I was just at Gamestop browsing for games when I saw it. I figured that any game with the Atlus logo on it is worth owning so I bought it. Demon's Souls takes Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Fable, Oblivion, Fallout, Bioshock, and all those others and rapes them up the ass. It's the best PS3 exclusive I've played and the only exclusive I've played so far that makes me feel that the PS3 is worth owning. The game is very challenging but rewarding and that's what makes the game so refreshing from all the other RPGs where you can save pretty much anywhere and lower your difficulty at any time or is simple to begin with. This game also auto saves EVERYTHING, so you can't fuck around cause mistakes will stick with ya. But that's a good thing I think. I haven't even beaten the game yet and have only like 35 hours on it and it's already better than all those other games. There's barely even a story to this game and it's so freaking good.

I love the online interaction like leaving messages and seeing silhouettes of other players and how you can summon phantoms to assist you and be invaded or invade other player's worlds. When I was first invaded by another player I shit my pants but prepared myself and went to go fight him. That's when I realized how good I was at the game. I've only been invaded by about 7 black phantoms (invading players) but I've defeated all of them except for one and that's cause I was being attacked by the grim reaper when we were fighting.

Uncharted 2, LBP, MGS4, Killzone 2, Gran Turismo 5 and whatever. Fuck em, they're garbage compared to Demon's Souls and this is the best PS3 exclusive. If you bash this game or say that any other RPG is better than it then you just haven't played it and I've lost all respect for you.


Last edited by BlackStigma on Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:21 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
DarkSwarm85
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer
DarkSwarm85

Posts : 992
Join date : 2010-02-02
Age : 34
Location : California

Demon's Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon's Souls   Demon's Souls EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 7:03 am

I have yet to play that game. Everyone that owns it, says it's the shit.
Back to top Go down
Blixtstorm
Four Star General (Moderator)
Four Star General (Moderator)
Blixtstorm

Posts : 2699
Join date : 2009-09-12
Age : 30
Location : Swēoþēod/Svíþjóð

Demon's Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon's Souls   Demon's Souls EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 7:24 am

I would agree with you if you don't count the PC.

I think The Witcher is the best RPG in this generation, closely followed by Oblivion then comes Demon's Souls.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Blixtstorm
Stoney
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Stoney

Posts : 2812
Join date : 2009-11-03
Age : 31
Location : In the gutter

Demon's Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon's Souls   Demon's Souls EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 8:18 am

It's all subjective. Some people just want to enjoy games and have complained about the difficulty level ala Yahtzee and quite a few critics. I haven't got the time nor patience for games with extreme difficulty levels.

And those games you compared it to are free roam, Demon's Souls, from what I've seen, is linear. So you can't really compare.
Back to top Go down
ghost23
Four Star General (Moderator)
Four Star General (Moderator)


Posts : 3425
Join date : 2009-12-16
Location : Australia

Demon's Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon's Souls   Demon's Souls EmptyMon Jan 10, 2011 8:29 am

This game is really odd the way the players perceive it. I don't think I've ever seen a game that is so hated but also has a group of people that think its the greatest game of this gen. Weird.
Back to top Go down
Invincible
Fleet Master Chief Petty Officer
Fleet Master Chief Petty Officer
Invincible

Posts : 672
Join date : 2010-03-18

Demon's Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon's Souls   Demon's Souls EmptyMon Jan 10, 2011 10:11 pm

A lot of people love this game. I don't have the patience.
Back to top Go down
DarkSwarm85
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer
DarkSwarm85

Posts : 992
Join date : 2010-02-02
Age : 34
Location : California

Demon's Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon's Souls   Demon's Souls EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 8:10 am

Is it more difficult then Ninja Gaiden games?
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Four Star General (Moderator)
Four Star General (Moderator)
Stigma

Posts : 2309
Join date : 2009-12-01
Location : US

Demon's Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon's Souls   Demon's Souls EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 12:37 am

Stoney wrote:
It's all subjective. Some people just want to enjoy games and have complained about the difficulty level ala Yahtzee and quite a few critics. I haven't got the time nor patience for games with extreme difficulty levels.

And those games you compared it to are free roam, Demon's Souls, from what I've seen, is linear. So you can't really compare.

Demon's Souls is a semi-open game. Some parts are quite linear, but a lot of parts like in World 1-1 have a lot of branching paths. Difficulty is equal to the soul and world tendency. Difficulty can raise or lower. Like killing a specific NPC or killing a major demon. White is "easy", Grey normal, and Black is hard. There's Pure White and Pure Black too. Although you get better loot on a harder difficulty.

The game also has a crap load of replayablity and you can power level if things get too challenging.

DarkSwarm85 wrote:
Is it more difficult then Ninja Gaiden games?

I've always thought Ninja Gaiden as being kinda cheap and Demon's Souls as challenging. I suppose that at the highest difficulty setting NG is a little tougher. The Xbox versions anyways.


ghost23 wrote:
This game is really odd the way the players perceive it. I don't think I've ever seen a game that is so hated but also has a group of people that think its the greatest game of this gen. Weird.

If you started gaming this gen you will hate it because of its difficulty. If you started gaming before this gen you will find it challenging but you will love it.
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
Four Star General (Moderator)
Four Star General (Moderator)
DemonWolf

Posts : 9104
Join date : 2009-09-11
Age : 27
Location : UK? Yes I'm fine.

Demon's Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon's Souls   Demon's Souls EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 7:16 am

Ehh. I'll probably buy the spiritual sequel that's coming to xbox.
I still think that Oblivion is the best so far. I mean, it's fully open, you can do pretty much anything and ahhhh it's amazing.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Posts : 371
Join date : 2010-03-08
Age : 33
Location : Chernobyl NPP, Ukraine

Demon's Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon's Souls   Demon's Souls EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 7:57 am

I've played quite alot of Demon's Souls on my mates PS3's. It's a cracking game and I love a good challenge because the problem isn't that this game is too hard, it's because most games these days have become too easy.
Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class


Posts : 113
Join date : 2011-01-13
Location : TX

Demon's Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon's Souls   Demon's Souls EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 1:53 pm

I bought it a few days after Xmas, but haven't really touched it too much. I started focusing heavily on Super Meat Boy then once I got stuck on part 2 of the World 6 boss I started designing levels for it, along with playing WoW and Warcraft 3.

Really, I think the game's difficulty is a bit overhyped. It's a fair game no doubt, but it's not OMGIMPOSSIBLESOHARD. A lot of it is just reducing your equipment weight to 50% and spamming roll. I think the hardest part is really knowing when to parry and riposte. I can't master that just yet, but I've played much harder games (see I Wanna Be The Guy).

It's probably the best RPG because there haven't been very many good RPGs this gen. I thought Oblivion was an awful game (as with almost everything Bethesda makes). I haven't played The Witcher yet because it's not high up on the appeal list. The sequel looks cool, though.

This gen has been primarily FPS'... ugh.
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Stoney

Posts : 2812
Join date : 2009-11-03
Age : 31
Location : In the gutter

Demon's Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon's Souls   Demon's Souls EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 8:32 pm

Ihsahn wrote:
I bought it a few days after Xmas, but haven't really touched it too much. I started focusing heavily on Super Meat Boy then once I got stuck on part 2 of the World 6 boss I started designing levels for it, along with playing WoW and Warcraft 3.

Really, I think the game's difficulty is a bit overhyped. It's a fair game no doubt, but it's not OMGIMPOSSIBLESOHARD. A lot of it is just reducing your equipment weight to 50% and spamming roll. I think the hardest part is really knowing when to parry and riposte. I can't master that just yet, but I've played much harder games (see I Wanna Be The Guy).

It's probably the best RPG because there haven't been very many good RPGs this gen. I thought Oblivion was an awful game (as with almost everything Bethesda makes). I haven't played The Witcher yet because it's not high up on the appeal list. The sequel looks cool, though.

This gen has been primarily FPS'... ugh.

Trying to be different I see. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class


Posts : 113
Join date : 2011-01-13
Location : TX

Demon's Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon's Souls   Demon's Souls EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 8:36 pm

Trying? Not at all. I legitimately believe Fallout 3 and Oblivion were awful games. There's a multitude of reasons why Oblivion wasn't a good game. I have no hopes for Skyrim.

All I liked about Oblivion was the Dark Brotherhood.

Back to top Go down
Stoney
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Stoney

Posts : 2812
Join date : 2009-11-03
Age : 31
Location : In the gutter

Demon's Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon's Souls   Demon's Souls EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 8:22 am

In another post you say how Morrowind was a fantastic game. Yet you claim Bethesda are a terrible dev. scratch
Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class


Posts : 113
Join date : 2011-01-13
Location : TX

Demon's Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon's Souls   Demon's Souls EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 3:11 pm

It was a fantastic game, but that was almost 9 years ago. Everything Bethesda has pushed out since has been crap and Skyrim is going in the same direction. I think a 9 year span of crap is enough to justify a dev for being terrible Razz



Back to top Go down
Noelol
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Noelol

Posts : 2259
Join date : 2010-01-28
Location : Canada

Demon's Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon's Souls   Demon's Souls EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 4:13 pm

I really liked Demon Souls. Played it at my friend's house. Can't wait until the new one comes out (Not 2 but a spiritual sucessor).
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Four Star General (Moderator)
Four Star General (Moderator)
Stigma

Posts : 2309
Join date : 2009-12-01
Location : US

Demon's Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon's Souls   Demon's Souls EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 2:21 am

Fucking Soul Drain just destroyed my opinion about this game.
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Stoney

Posts : 2812
Join date : 2009-11-03
Age : 31
Location : In the gutter

Demon's Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon's Souls   Demon's Souls EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 7:59 am

^^^ Explain. scratch
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Four Star General (Moderator)
Four Star General (Moderator)
Stigma

Posts : 2309
Join date : 2009-12-01
Location : US

Demon's Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon's Souls   Demon's Souls EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 4:57 pm

Stoney wrote:
^^^ Explain. scratch

Soul Drain lowers your highest stat permanently. Think about playing Mass Effect 2 and your level 26 and you're hit by an attack that lowers your level to 25 and lowers that stats you had upgraded. And then it happens 2 more times. And it's during a really hard boss fight.
Back to top Go down
cigar
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class
cigar

Posts : 59
Join date : 2011-01-16
Age : 32

Demon's Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon's Souls   Demon's Souls EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 7:25 pm

BlackStigma wrote:
Stoney wrote:
^^^ Explain. scratch

Soul Drain lowers your highest stat permanently. Think about playing Mass Effect 2 and your level 26 and you're hit by an attack that lowers your level to 25 and lowers that stats you had upgraded. And then it happens 2 more times. And it's during a really hard boss fight.

I thought the Valley of Defilement was way more of a pain in the ass than King Whatshisface ever was (especially when farming for Suckerstones and Marrowstones). Did you kill the blue dragon beforehand? Cuz that'll make the trek back to the boss fight a dozen times easier (R.I.P. Biorr, but I made it)
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Four Star General (Moderator)
Four Star General (Moderator)
Stigma

Posts : 2309
Join date : 2009-12-01
Location : US

Demon's Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon's Souls   Demon's Souls EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 11:21 pm

cigar wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:
Stoney wrote:
^^^ Explain. scratch

Soul Drain lowers your highest stat permanently. Think about playing Mass Effect 2 and your level 26 and you're hit by an attack that lowers your level to 25 and lowers that stats you had upgraded. And then it happens 2 more times. And it's during a really hard boss fight.

I thought the Valley of Defilement was way more of a pain in the ass than King Whatshisface ever was (especially when farming for Suckerstones and Marrowstones). Did you kill the blue dragon beforehand? Cuz that'll make the trek back to the boss fight a dozen times easier (R.I.P. Biorr, but I made it)

The first time I made it past the blue dragon pretty easily, then it killed me the second time. I was planning on taking like 400 arrows and kill the thing later, but I haven't played that game again since that boss fight.

The valley of defilement was a pain in the ass too, but that Old King Allant or whatever really pissed me off with that soul drain or whatever. Although the Maiden Astraea/Garl Vinland fight was one of the best parts of the games I think.
Back to top Go down
cigar
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class
cigar

Posts : 59
Join date : 2011-01-16
Age : 32

Demon's Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon's Souls   Demon's Souls EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 1:47 am

BlackStigma wrote:
cigar wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:
Stoney wrote:
^^^ Explain. scratch

Soul Drain lowers your highest stat permanently. Think about playing Mass Effect 2 and your level 26 and you're hit by an attack that lowers your level to 25 and lowers that stats you had upgraded. And then it happens 2 more times. And it's during a really hard boss fight.

I thought the Valley of Defilement was way more of a pain in the ass than King Whatshisface ever was (especially when farming for Suckerstones and Marrowstones). Did you kill the blue dragon beforehand? Cuz that'll make the trek back to the boss fight a dozen times easier (R.I.P. Biorr, but I made it)

The first time I made it past the blue dragon pretty easily, then it killed me the second time. I was planning on taking like 400 arrows and kill the thing later, but I haven't played that game again since that boss fight.

The valley of defilement was a pain in the ass too, but that Old King Allant or whatever really pissed me off with that soul drain or whatever. Although the Maiden Astraea/Garl Vinland fight was one of the best parts of the games I think.

That fight was kind of boring to me, I expected more (although I did feel a bit guilty for killing the maiden)... If you go back to that area with pure black world tendency you can fight Garl Vinland's phantom, which was hands down the hardest, most rewarding battle in the game for me.

You should really try to fight Allant again, especially considering how you're so close to completing the game. I used the Demonbrandt I got from King Doran and the fight was a breeze (and by breeze I mean I died twice and lost 2 soul levels, which by Demon's Souls standards is still a breeze). And there's a blind spot right below where the dragon takes his final perch, if you use items like the Morion Blade or the Clever Rat's Ring you can beef yourself up and take out the dragon in less than 200 arrows (plus you get a trophy for killing it)
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Four Star General (Moderator)
Four Star General (Moderator)
Stigma

Posts : 2309
Join date : 2009-12-01
Location : US

Demon's Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon's Souls   Demon's Souls EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 1:57 am

cigar wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:
cigar wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:
Stoney wrote:
^^^ Explain. scratch

Soul Drain lowers your highest stat permanently. Think about playing Mass Effect 2 and your level 26 and you're hit by an attack that lowers your level to 25 and lowers that stats you had upgraded. And then it happens 2 more times. And it's during a really hard boss fight.

I thought the Valley of Defilement was way more of a pain in the ass than King Whatshisface ever was (especially when farming for Suckerstones and Marrowstones). Did you kill the blue dragon beforehand? Cuz that'll make the trek back to the boss fight a dozen times easier (R.I.P. Biorr, but I made it)

The first time I made it past the blue dragon pretty easily, then it killed me the second time. I was planning on taking like 400 arrows and kill the thing later, but I haven't played that game again since that boss fight.

The valley of defilement was a pain in the ass too, but that Old King Allant or whatever really pissed me off with that soul drain or whatever. Although the Maiden Astraea/Garl Vinland fight was one of the best parts of the games I think.

That fight was kind of boring to me, I expected more (although I did feel a bit guilty for killing the maiden)... If you go back to that area with pure black world tendency you can fight Garl Vinland's phantom, which was hands down the hardest, most rewarding battle in the game for me.

You should really try to fight Allant again, especially considering how you're so close to completing the game. I used the Demonbrandt I got from King Doran and the fight was a breeze (and by breeze I mean I died twice and lost 2 soul levels, which by Demon's Souls standards is still a breeze). And there's a blind spot right below where the dragon takes his final perch, if you use items like the Morion Blade or the Clever Rat's Ring you can beef yourself up and take out the dragon in less than 200 arrows (plus you get a trophy for killing it)

About King Doran...I went to fight him but my attacks barely do any damage, even with the Makoto (I think that's what I used, coulda been a Quality Kilij + 4) and a back stab I only do around 80 damage so I bailed. What's a good why to beat him? You get a trophy for killing the Dragon? Huh, didn't notice that.
Back to top Go down
cigar
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class
cigar

Posts : 59
Join date : 2011-01-16
Age : 32

Demon's Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon's Souls   Demon's Souls EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 5:06 am

BlackStigma wrote:
About King Doran...I went to fight him but my attacks barely do any damage, even with the Makoto (I think that's what I used, coulda been a Quality Kilij + 4) and a back stab I only do around 80 damage so I bailed. What's a good why to beat him? You get a trophy for killing the Dragon? Huh, didn't notice that.

You know what, I'm not too sure... By the time I got to Allant I was pretty much a tank, I had pure black character tendency so the Demonbrandt did around 100 damage with every individual hit, but I guess it depends on what kind of build your character is...

You might wanna check out the Demon's Souls wiki, I mostly used it for help with stone farming and grinding, but they have some good strategies for fighting bosses with different classes.
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Four Star General (Moderator)
Four Star General (Moderator)
Stigma

Posts : 2309
Join date : 2009-12-01
Location : US

Demon's Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon's Souls   Demon's Souls EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 8:08 pm

cigar wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:
About King Doran...I went to fight him but my attacks barely do any damage, even with the Makoto (I think that's what I used, coulda been a Quality Kilij + 4) and a back stab I only do around 80 damage so I bailed. What's a good why to beat him? You get a trophy for killing the Dragon? Huh, didn't notice that.

You know what, I'm not too sure... By the time I got to Allant I was pretty much a tank, I had pure black character tendency so the Demonbrandt did around 100 damage with every individual hit, but I guess it depends on what kind of build your character is...

You might wanna check out the Demon's Souls wiki, I mostly used it for help with stone farming and grinding, but they have some good strategies for fighting bosses with different classes.

I was talking about Doran not Allant (you know to get the Demonbrandt), but yeah I'll just check the DS wiki.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




Demon's Souls Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demon's Souls   Demon's Souls Empty

Back to top Go down
 
Demon's Souls
Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Dark Fall Lost Souls
» Can You Name This Game Character
» Dark Fall: Lost Souls

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Other Platforms :: Sony-
Jump to: