This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New 360 and Controller Questions?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
BlackCowsOnIce
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class
BlackCowsOnIce

New 360 and Controller Questions? Empty
PostSubject: New 360 and Controller Questions?   New 360 and Controller Questions? EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 6:00 pm

Recently I've realized that the the Wii and PC are slowly dying in this generation and the PS3 just doesn't cut for my wants, so I decided to get a 360, and I will purchase it in a month.
So I wanted to ask the most obsessed Xbox fans what should I buy.

GameStop is offering 140 dollars for a refurbished Xbox 360 20GB Pro (http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?Product_ID=89633). I need at least that amount--because I want a lot of DLC and 4GB can't do co-op with Reach. But then I read this article (http://kotaku.com/5339555/report-xbox-360-failure-rate-over-50-percent) and I saw that Xbox 360 Pros have an above 50 percent failure rate. I've also seen reviews for used Xboxes and a lot of them were either lucky 7-days used only cosmetic problems only users or-most of them-angry people ranting about how the used Xboxes overheat a lot.

I have the money to get the new 250 GB S, but if I shell out the extra 300 dollars then my entry games will be reduced from

-Fallout 3
-Battlefield: Bad Company 2
-Left 4 Dead 2
-Gears of War 2
-Halo: Reach
-Call of Duty: Black Ops
-Call of Duty 2

to
-Battlefield: Bad Company 2
-Gears of War 2
-Halo: Reach

And I really like those other games. So should I just hope that I get lucky with a refurb Xbox (I will only be playing max 3 hours a day), or should I just spend more money for the new model? Thanks, guys.

And another question, can I use regular rechargeable Energizer batteries for my Xbox 360 controller? Don't want to shell out for a Play N' Charge when I already have a charger. Or are the batteries stuck inside the pack?

Back to top Go down
ghost23
Four Star General (Moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New 360 and Controller Questions?   New 360 and Controller Questions? EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 7:51 pm

Go with the new console, i would never trust a refurbished one. You probably already have played Black Ops and CoD2 is really old anyway.

Yes you can insert your own AA batteries into the controller.
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Stigma

PostSubject: Re: New 360 and Controller Questions?   New 360 and Controller Questions? EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 8:05 pm

Another alternative is to buy the 4gig model and use 16gig flash drives. And technically the flashdrives hold more memory because you can only use about 14gigs of the 20gig hard drive. Also, you can use up to 3 flash drives, 2 in the front and 1 in the back. It also has Wifi.

The Jasper model 360's have a 4% failure rate.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6216691.html

The GI survey is flawed because they took into account 360's in general, not specific models, and asked about 5000 random GI readers, NOT 360 owners specifically. So it is also inflated by the amount of PS3 fanboys and 360 haters there could be. Even the previous model, the Falcon, was no where near 50%.
Back to top Go down
BlackCowsOnIce
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class
BlackCowsOnIce

PostSubject: Re: New 360 and Controller Questions?   New 360 and Controller Questions? EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 10:16 pm

That's what I thought. No way 50 percent of these people are failing.

How can I tell if these GameStop's refurbs are Jasper or Falcon? The refurbs are here. Thanks, guys!

Whoever tells me these refurbs are OK with complete honesty and saves me 150 bucks because of it will be the best person on my Xbox LIVE's friend list... other than AkimboSlice, of course (head over to here and see this guy's MW2 videos. He's impossibly beast. If someone tells you 'winning by playing fairly in MW2 is IMPOSSIBLE', show him this.')
Back to top Go down
cigar
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class
cigar

PostSubject: Re: New 360 and Controller Questions?   New 360 and Controller Questions? EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 4:29 pm

I'd buy a Ford Pinto before I bought a used 360... especially with how appealing the Slim is (it doesn't sound like a jet engine)
Back to top Go down
BlackCowsOnIce
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class
BlackCowsOnIce

PostSubject: Re: New 360 and Controller Questions?   New 360 and Controller Questions? EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 10:47 pm

Ok, that's the, uh...

zillionth person to tell me not to buy a used Xbox. Smile

But will it really break down/ get the cancerous RRoD if it's Jasper?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New 360 and Controller Questions?   New 360 and Controller Questions? Empty

Back to top Go down

New 360 and Controller Questions?
Page 1 of 1