This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC

Go down 
+3
DemonWolf
Master_Chief
C_Panda
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
C_Panda
Command Master Chief Petty Officer

Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC Empty
PostSubject: Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC   Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 8:40 pm

Quote :
On Tuesday we posted my review of Dragon Age: Origins for the PlayStation 3. Now I've moved on to the PC version of the game, and the difference is night and day.

I have a relatively modest gaming computer, all things considered. It's got one of the first AMD Phenom processors in it from a few years back, 2GB of RAM, and a ATI Radeon 3850HD card in it. Not too powerful by today's standards, but still a ways out from obsolescence. While installing Dragon Age: Origins yesterday I envisioned a game that was slightly less stuttery than the PlayStation 3 version I had spent several days playing previously. I figured I would start it up, create a character, wander about a bit, and then maybe go to bed. Four hours later I was exhausted, but still reluctant to part from the much sharper, much prettier game I discovered.

Even once I maxed out the graphic settings in the game, the frame rate was still extremely smooth compared to the PlayStation 3 version, and large battles came to life in a whole new way, with a clarity the console version definitely lacked.

So the PC definitely has a leg up on the console version aesthetically. How about functionally?

The PC interface is a world apart from the console version, and if you've playing any massively-multiplayer online roleplaying game, it will be instantly familiar. The pair of three swappable shortcuts in the bottom right corner of the console version is replaced with a standard hot bar, where powers, stances, and skills can be slotted just as they are in countless MMO titles. The select button menu is nowhere to be seen, with the PC version instead featuring a row of buttons at the top of the screen, allowing quick access to inventory, your journal, character stats, and the like.

I wouldn't say the interface differences are better or worse. It all depends on how you are used to playing. As an avid MMO player, I found the PC version easier to navigate, though your results may vary.

As Totilo mentioned previously, the PC version of Dragon Age allows players to scroll backwards into an overhead, Baldur's Gate-like camera, presenting a much more tactical view of the map you are on, as well as adding a bit of extra familiarity for the PC gamer crowd. I haven't used it much, but I do appreciate the option. BioWare has also included the option for mouse-click movement, but I despise clicking to move with a passion that glows hotter than a thousand suns, so it isn't really a plus.

The PC version is also superior in the way it connects to the BioWare Community Website. As detailed by Totilo in his article on the social features of the game, the PC version automatically takes screenshots at key moments in the game, uploading some automatically while letting the player choose from addition shots to share with the community.

Dragon Age: Origins on the PC isn't without its faults though. There is no auto-level option for PC players, so you are going to have to manually update each of your characters as you progress. The inventory has also been streamlined a little, with potions, gifts, and miscellaneous items all lumped under one heading. It's slightly more confusing, but since you should be relatively close to your computer screen as opposed to your couch, it's workable.

Update: We have found the PC auto-level. Thanks guys!

After spending time with both versions of the game, I don't necessarily regret playing through the PS3 version first. I still had a damn good time playing. It's just now that I've seen how the game runs on the PC, I long to see the events of my first character unfolding with the clarity of that one.

Given a choice, definitely go for the PC. It looks better, runs smoother, and it's generally $10 cheaper as well.

http://kotaku.com/5397283/dragon-age-origins-+-playstation-3-versus-pc
Back to top Go down
Master_Chief
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Master_Chief

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC   Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 8:43 pm

I dont have a PC that will run it so I got it for 360. Looks and plays great on 360 so I'm happy.
Back to top Go down
C_Panda

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC   Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 8:45 pm

Master_Chief wrote:
I dont have a PC that will run it so I got it for 360. Looks and plays great so I'm happy.
PS3 version runs like turd, even though it has a little bit better textures. But then again, I rather have the balance, good framerate, and great texture work rather then a lil' bit better textures, and everything else runs like shit. PS3 version hits 20FPS at times, and just by moving the camera around, you get framerate hiccups. Plus the PS3 version just has so many bugs, like characters falling through maps. LOL This is the order of people should notice for DA(regarding which version is the best): PS3<360<PC.
Back to top Go down
Master_Chief
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Master_Chief

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC   Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 8:48 pm

C_Panda wrote:
Master_Chief wrote:
I dont have a PC that will run it so I got it for 360. Looks and plays great so I'm happy.
PS3 version runs like turd, even though it has a little bit better textures. But then again, I rather have the balance, good framerate, and great texture work rather then a lil' bit better textures, and everything else runs like shit. PS3 version hits 20FPS at times, and just by moving the camera around, you get framerate hiccups. Plus the PS3 version just has so many bugs, like characters falling through maps. LOL This is the order of people should notice for DA(regarding which version is the best): PS3<360<PC.
Yep I saw the PS3 version being played at a friends house and the framerate is abysmal. The 360 version not only looks good but plays smooth as butter with a solid framerate.
Back to top Go down
C_Panda

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC   Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 8:49 pm

Master_Chief wrote:
C_Panda wrote:
Master_Chief wrote:
Yep I saw the PS3 version being played at a friends house and the framerate is abysmal. The 360 version not only looks good but plays smooth as butter with a solid framerate.
Yep, it has that perfect balance, and doesn't have the glitches the PS3 version has. lol So many sony fanboys that own both consoles are trading in the ps3 version and getting the 360 one. Haha.
Back to top Go down
Master_Chief
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Master_Chief

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC   Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 8:53 pm

C_Panda wrote:
Master_Chief wrote:
C_Panda wrote:
Master_Chief wrote:
Yep, it has that perfect balance, and doesn't have the glitches the PS3 version has. lol So many sony fanboys that own both consoles are trading in the ps3 version and getting the 360 one. Haha.
Yep my friend went to Gamestop today to tade for the 360 version. The PS3 version has a mandatory install and still runs like crap.
Back to top Go down
C_Panda

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC   Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 8:54 pm

Master_Chief wrote:
C_Panda wrote:
Master_Chief wrote:
C_Panda wrote:
Master_Chief wrote:
Yep my friend went to Gamestop today to tade for the 360 version. The PS3 version has a mandatory install and still runs like crap.
But teh blu-rayz?! affraid
Back to top Go down
Master_Chief
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Master_Chief

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC   Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 8:59 pm

C_Panda wrote:
Master_Chief wrote:
C_Panda wrote:
Master_Chief wrote:
C_Panda wrote:
Master_Chief wrote:
And teh Cellz potentialz!!!!
Back to top Go down
C_Panda

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC   Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 9:00 pm

Master_Chief wrote:
C_Panda wrote:
Master_Chief wrote:
C_Panda wrote:
Master_Chief wrote:
C_Panda wrote:
Master_Chief wrote:
And teh Cellz potentialz!!!!
Teh XDRZ RAMZ....and WIFIZZZ. rabbit
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
Four Star General (Moderator)
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC   Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 6:38 pm

OMFG!! LETS START A PETITTION!! I DEMAND A RE-PORT TO PS3!! IT HS DA POTENTIAL!!!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
Arbiteris
Arbiteris

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC   Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 7:03 pm

I heard the 360 version was the worst out of the 3.
Back to top Go down
Master_Chief
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Master_Chief

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC   Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 7:06 pm

Arbiteris wrote:
You heard wrong.
Back to top Go down
C_Panda

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC   Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 8:31 pm

Arbiteris wrote:
Haha, nope. Whoever told you that is either blind or stupid and should be shot.
Back to top Go down
daveMastaKill
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
daveMastaKill

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC   Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 8:42 pm

I wont buy it for the 360. Reason?After seeing the review on GT was made based on the PC Version (very rare) and soon understanded why. The PC version is just plain better and user friendly on the HUD. And to me that's everything on a RPG.
Back to top Go down
C_Panda

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC   Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 8:46 pm

daveMastaKill wrote:
I wont buy it for the 360. Reason?After seeing the review on GT was made based on the PC Version (very rare) and soon understanded why. The PC version is just plain better and user friendly on the HUD. And to me that's everything on a RPG.
Bioware have always prefered PC anyway. Smile That's how they started. Ironically, they used to make software for medical equipment, but that didn't turn out very well, and then decided to make games. Thats why when you see the CEO's of the company, they always have the 'Dr.' in front of their names. They are literally doctors.
Back to top Go down
daveMastaKill
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
daveMastaKill

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC   Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 8:48 pm

C_Panda wrote:
daveMastaKill wrote:
Bioware have always prefered PC anyway. Smile That's how they started. Ironically, they used to make software for medical equipment, but that didn't turn out very well, and then decided to make games. Thats why when you see the CEO's of the company, they always have the 'Dr.' in front of their names. They are literally doctors.

The moar we know
Back to top Go down
C_Panda

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC   Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 8:51 pm

daveMastaKill wrote:
C_Panda wrote:
daveMastaKill wrote:

The moar we know
Excuse me?
Back to top Go down
C_Panda

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC   Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 8:55 pm

BioWare Releases Dragon Age Campaign, Cutscene Toolset

http://kotaku.com/5399530/bioware-releases-dragon-age-campaign-cutscene-toolset
Back to top Go down
Master_Chief
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Master_Chief

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC   Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 8:56 pm

daveMastaKill wrote:
Well then you must not buy very many 360 exclusives since alot of them are on PC as well. Its a no brainer that PC is always the best. The debate was more about 360 version vs PS3 version.
Back to top Go down
daveMastaKill
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
daveMastaKill

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC   Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 9:14 pm

Master_Chief wrote:
daveMastaKill wrote:
Well then you must not buy very many 360 exclusives since alot of them are on PC as well. Its a no brainer that PC is always the best. The debate was more about 360 version vs PS3 version.

The text is way TL;DR man Sleep

Sorry lol!

So i just gave my opinion about the game on the console version. But like...sure i buy 360\PC exclusives(i got:Gears of War, Mass Effect and looking foward to others like L4D2 etc)i mean my PC is crap and cannot play those games. However those ports have almost no influence for me even the FPS (i don't mind playing with a controller) but a RPG like Dragon Origins? No way in hell, i mean e just saw the HUD in the PC version and it looks like a MMO, a keyboard and mouse is key factor for me for a better gaming experience, thats why i would also not buy Risen 360.
Back to top Go down
daveMastaKill
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
daveMastaKill

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC   Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 9:15 pm

C_Panda wrote:
daveMastaKill wrote:
C_Panda wrote:
daveMastaKill wrote:

The moar we know
Excuse me?

I was saying i dind't know that.
See we learn things in this forum lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
C_Panda

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC   Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 9:19 pm

daveMastaKill wrote:
C_Panda wrote:
daveMastaKill wrote:
C_Panda wrote:
daveMastaKill wrote:

The moar we know
Excuse me?

Well, you could've said 'Oh cool I didn't know that.'. Instead of 'The moar we know.'. It sounds like poetry. :p
Back to top Go down
daveMastaKill
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
daveMastaKill

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC   Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 9:23 pm

C_Panda wrote:
daveMastaKill wrote:
C_Panda wrote:
daveMastaKill wrote:
C_Panda wrote:
daveMastaKill wrote:

The moar we know
Excuse me?

Well, you could've said 'Oh cool I didn't know that.'. Instead of 'The moar we know.'. It sounds like poetry. :p

Actually is a series of public service announcements broadcast on the NBC Universal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_More_You_Know

See you also learn something today! lol!

Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC The_More_You_Know
Back to top Go down
Master_Chief
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Master_Chief

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC   Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 9:31 pm

Speaking of poetry -
A brownies PS3 got the yellow light of death
He cried like a girl when it gave its final breath
He waited 4 years to play Killzone 2
And now has to wait to play GT5 too
Buy a 360 is what he really needs to do.
Back to top Go down
daveMastaKill
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
daveMastaKill

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC   Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 9:33 pm

Master_Chief wrote:
Speaking of poetry -
A brownies PS3 got the yellow light of death
He cried like a girl when it gave its final breath
He waited 4 years to play Killzone 2
And now has to wait to play GT5 too
Buy a 360 is what he really needs to do.

Touché
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC   Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC Empty

Back to top Go down

Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation 3 Versus PC
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General Xbox360 Discussion :: 360 vs PS3-
Jump to: