This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Alan Wake Digital Foundry

Go down 
+3
ghost23
joe11
Alan1994
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Alan1994
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Alan1994

Alan Wake Digital Foundry Empty
PostSubject: Alan Wake Digital Foundry   Alan Wake Digital Foundry EmptySat May 08, 2010 9:45 pm

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-alanwake-tech-analysis

Alot of interesting stuff about the technical side of Alan Wake.

It turns out the game's native resolution is very odd. There are different rendering targets some lower and some higher than 720p. But the frambuffer itself is 540p (even though most of the post-processing and the HUD run native 720p). This resolution gets software scaled by the engine to 720p and then hardware scaled up to 1080p. The low native resolution is masked by a "combination of of high levels of anti-aliasing and high-quality scaling". So overall the image quality isn't reduced gradually.

The game also runs at 30 FPS with some screen-tearing like in Gears of War.

Digital Foundry also stated that the "environments and lighting are second to none". They go on about how Alan Wake looks very impressive graphically. The only minor point is that the character animations could have been way better.

I can't wait to play this personally. I still don't doubt this will top Uncharted 2 as the graphics king. Hell, Remedy is even working on improving the character animations on future DLC.
Back to top Go down
joe11
Ensign
Ensign
joe11

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake Digital Foundry   Alan Wake Digital Foundry EmptySat May 08, 2010 9:47 pm

alan wake is going to pass u2 in graphics i believe to
Back to top Go down
ghost23
Four Star General (Moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake Digital Foundry   Alan Wake Digital Foundry EmptySat May 08, 2010 9:50 pm

Cannot wait to play this. All the reviews say that the environment and atmosphere in this game in amazing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake Digital Foundry   Alan Wake Digital Foundry EmptySun May 09, 2010 12:29 am

I still dont see why this game is so appealing to everyone. It just doesnt look that great to me for some reason
Back to top Go down
ghost23

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake Digital Foundry   Alan Wake Digital Foundry EmptySun May 09, 2010 1:00 am

TheJubJub57212 wrote:
I still dont see why this game is so appealing to everyone. It just doesnt look that great to me for some reason

Because its a different take on the horror genre that doesn't rely on shit jumping out at you from every corner. It relies on atmosphere, visuals, music and sound effects that build a terrifying mood to scare you.
Also its a new and innovative gameplay style. Fight with light.
Back to top Go down
Master_Chief
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Master_Chief

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake Digital Foundry   Alan Wake Digital Foundry EmptySun May 09, 2010 3:23 am

TheJubJub57212 wrote:
You have to take off those Sony goggles first. Razz
Back to top Go down
343_Guilty_Spark
343_Guilty_Spark

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake Digital Foundry   Alan Wake Digital Foundry EmptySun May 09, 2010 4:23 am

ghost23 wrote:
TheJubJub57212 wrote:

Because its a different take on the horror genre that doesn't rely on shit jumping out at you from every corner. It relies on atmosphere, visuals, music and sound effects that build a terrifying mood to scare you.

In psychological thrillers it's the writing that makes it scary and from what I've heard Alan Wake gives Steven King a run for his money. All the reviews I've read so far say it has great writing and the acting is great too. In fact I heard on a podcast that it makes Heavy Rain's writing and acting looks like the first Resident Evil.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bungie.net
ghost23

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake Digital Foundry   Alan Wake Digital Foundry EmptySun May 09, 2010 5:36 am

343_Guilty_Spark wrote:
ghost23 wrote:
TheJubJub57212 wrote:

In psychological thrillers it's the writing that makes it scary and from what I've heard Alan Wake gives Steven King a run for his money. All the reviews I've read so far say it has great writing and the acting is great too. In fact I heard on a podcast that it makes Heavy Rain's writing and acting looks like the first Resident Evil.

True, there's also a lot of praise for the atmosphere in the game as well.
At least we know that it has both amazing atmosphere and amazing writing. What more could you want from Alan Wake?
Back to top Go down
Alan1994
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Alan1994

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake Digital Foundry   Alan Wake Digital Foundry EmptySun May 09, 2010 10:22 am

The technology used in Alan Wake shows alot of potential. In future games they could make the lighting elements more part of the gameplay.
Back to top Go down
Pein
Pein

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake Digital Foundry   Alan Wake Digital Foundry EmptySun May 09, 2010 10:52 am

the graphics look great,but they arent anything special for me,still the game looks like it will be a great game,despite the reviewes
Back to top Go down
Alan1994
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Alan1994

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake Digital Foundry   Alan Wake Digital Foundry EmptySun May 09, 2010 12:15 pm

AndrejTheReviewer wrote:
the graphics look great,but they arent anything special for me,still the game looks like it will be a great game,despite the reviewes

The reviews of this game was great. It recieved an 85% overall score on metacritic.
Back to top Go down
Pein
Pein

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake Digital Foundry   Alan Wake Digital Foundry EmptySun May 09, 2010 12:39 pm

Alan1994 wrote:
AndrejTheReviewer wrote:

The reviews of this game was great. It recieved an 85% overall score on metacritic.
i know what you mean but i expected 90 or more,thats what i meant
Back to top Go down
343_Guilty_Spark
343_Guilty_Spark

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake Digital Foundry   Alan Wake Digital Foundry EmptySun May 09, 2010 6:54 pm

AndrejTheReviewer wrote:
Alan1994 wrote:
AndrejTheReviewer wrote:

I think critics lowered their score because it's been in development and hyped for so long it couldn't possibly live up to all their expectations. If they could forget it's been in development for 7 years they probably would have rated it above 90.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake Digital Foundry   Alan Wake Digital Foundry EmptySun May 09, 2010 10:29 pm

Master_Chief wrote:
TheJubJub57212 wrote:
You have to take off those Sony goggles first. Razz

LOL those are the last kind of goggles I would be wearing Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake Digital Foundry   Alan Wake Digital Foundry EmptySun May 09, 2010 10:31 pm

343_Guilty_Spark wrote:
ghost23 wrote:
TheJubJub57212 wrote:

True, it does take a new, fresh (and much needed) look at horror. But I guess it just isn't my type of horror. I love getting scared shitless when things jump out at me. I will probably end up picking this up, and I will have to see when I play.
Back to top Go down
343_Guilty_Spark
343_Guilty_Spark

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake Digital Foundry   Alan Wake Digital Foundry EmptyMon May 10, 2010 12:31 am

TheJubJub57212 wrote:
343_Guilty_Spark wrote:
ghost23 wrote:
TheJubJub57212 wrote:

True, it does take a new, fresh (and much needed) look at horror. But I guess it just isn't my type of horror. I love getting scared shitless when things jump out at me. I will probably end up picking this up, and I will have to see when I play.

It's not a horror game. It's a psychological thriller. In films a horror movie would be like Dawn of the Dead and a psychological thriller would be like The Shinning. There are actually very few games I'd call psychological thrillers. Even though Heavy Rain fails at being a game, or a good movie, it's a psychological thriller and now Alan Wake is going to bitch slap Heavy Rain with it's superior writing, setting, characters, voice work etc.

If you're expecting Resident Evil with a flashlight you'll be disappointed. But if your looking for "get in your head and freak you out" story and characters than you'll be in thriller heaven.
Back to top Go down
daveMastaKill
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
daveMastaKill

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake Digital Foundry   Alan Wake Digital Foundry EmptyMon May 10, 2010 8:57 am

AndrejTheReviewer wrote:
Alan1994 wrote:
AndrejTheReviewer wrote:

I showed in one of my threads that a shitload of reviews gave this game a 9 or 10. However most of those reviews do not even enter in the plans of Metacritic. Why? I have no fucking idea. Not to mention that the score gets all fucked up when sometimes some punk reviewer like Gamecritics gave Alan Wake a goddam 65 and Alone in the Dark a 95.

Also Alan Wake is 84% with 45 and Heavy Rain is 87% with 106 reviews...why i ask? The gap is kinda of big.
Back to top Go down
Alan1994
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Alan1994

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake Digital Foundry   Alan Wake Digital Foundry EmptyMon May 10, 2010 11:33 pm

daveMastaKill wrote:
AndrejTheReviewer wrote:
Alan1994 wrote:
AndrejTheReviewer wrote:

I showed in one of my threads that a shitload of reviews gave this game a 9 or 10. However most of those reviews do not even enter in the plans of Metacritic. Why? I have no fucking idea. Not to mention that the score gets all fucked up when sometimes some punk reviewer like Gamecritics gave Alan Wake a goddam 65 and Alone in the Dark a 95.

Also Alan Wake is 84% with 45 and Heavy Rain is 87% with 106 reviews...why i ask? The gap is kinda of big.

Metacritic isn't 100% accurate. I think Gamerankings is a bit better. But they both aren't perfect.
Back to top Go down
daveMastaKill
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
daveMastaKill

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake Digital Foundry   Alan Wake Digital Foundry EmptyTue May 11, 2010 8:28 am

Alan1994 wrote:
daveMastaKill wrote:
AndrejTheReviewer wrote:
Alan1994 wrote:
AndrejTheReviewer wrote:

Metacritic isn't 100% accurate. I think Gamerankings is a bit better. But they both aren't perfect.

The guys at Alan Wake forums are doing a amazing job of warning the guys at Metacritic, or else even the review of the escapist that is a perfect 100% was not even there!
Back to top Go down
Alan1994
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Alan1994

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake Digital Foundry   Alan Wake Digital Foundry EmptyTue May 11, 2010 4:23 pm

daveMastaKill wrote:
Alan1994 wrote:
daveMastaKill wrote:
AndrejTheReviewer wrote:
Alan1994 wrote:
AndrejTheReviewer wrote:

The guys at Alan Wake forums are doing a amazing job of warning the guys at Metacritic, or else even the review of the escapist that is a perfect 100% was not even there!

I'm just glad user-votes aren't factored it. Fanboys gave it a 1.9 before it even released.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake Digital Foundry   Alan Wake Digital Foundry Empty

Back to top Go down

Alan Wake Digital Foundry
Page 1 of 1