This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim!

Go down 
+15
Vorox2400
Static103
daveMastaKill
Stigma
joe11
ghost23
Mr. Cole Drake
illiniguy
Arbiteris
AgentA-Mi6
Master_Chief
Blackbauer3
DemonWolf
Blixtstorm
Kendo
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Kendo
Ensign
Ensign
Kendo

How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim! Empty
PostSubject: How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim!   How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim! EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 10:04 am

Now poersonally, the PS3 Slim looks good, and looks like a good deal. My cousin has one, my Dad used to have one. But there is one thing about it that says "EPIC FAIL"... the fact that it is not backwards compatible. This is astronomically retarded. I do not care what the reason is. If I wanna play PS2 games, why do I have to rebuy a PS2. The PS3 is well its the third Playstation. I have used a PS3 Slim and it seems to be faster and more lighter than the fat ones. But the PS3 should be backwards compatible. Xbox 360 wins because it is backwards compatible at least with a ton of games.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Inuboy1000
Blixtstorm
Four Star General (Moderator)
Blixtstorm

PostSubject: Re: How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim!   How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim! EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 10:12 am

The thing is... that the BC emulator device cost more then a ps2, and they still sell ps2.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Blixtstorm
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim!   How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim! EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 10:50 am

Yeah that's kind of a fail. :/
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
Blackbauer3

PostSubject: Re: How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim!   How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim! EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 11:17 am

But who wants to play old, outdated looking, old gen games on a next gen console????
not me
Back to top Go down
Master_Chief
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Master_Chief

PostSubject: Re: How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim!   How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim! EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 11:23 am

What is a bigger fail is that even with a 100 dollar price drop, hardware redesign, and a massive advertising campaign the PS3 got outsold by 360 by 120k in November NPD and in December PS3 barely got by with a mere 50k lead but got outsold for the year in North America. And PS3 software numbers are still a joke.
Back to top Go down
Kendo
Ensign
Ensign
Kendo

PostSubject: Re: How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim!   How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim! EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 11:37 am

I agree with Master_Chief, even though I personally think the PS3 Slim is a great system, the software numbers are a joke plus the hardware will not sell better than the 360. Though I have to say this unless Sony puts BC back in, I personally will not waste my money on them. 360 has more A, AA, AAA games. Yet Sony could compete with Microsoft more if they had BC, but they do not... instead they took out the one thing about the PS3 that was important (to me SD cards are not that important, and Linux is not that important to me either). If Sony is gonna rip off its consumers like this, then I am glad Microsoft has some clue about console gaming... unlike Sony.
Back to top Go down
AgentA-Mi6
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class
AgentA-Mi6

PostSubject: Re: How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim!   How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim! EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 12:06 pm

Blixtstorm wrote:
The thing is... that the BC emulator device cost more then a ps2, and they still sell ps2.
That and the necessityto push Ps3 software sales where most revenue comes from
Back to top Go down
Arbiteris
Arbiteris

PostSubject: Re: How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim!   How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim! EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 3:37 pm

Anyone else here think that the PS3 slim looks ugly compared to the original PS3?I certainly do.
Back to top Go down
AgentA-Mi6
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class
AgentA-Mi6

PostSubject: Re: How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim!   How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim! EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 4:27 pm

Arbiteris wrote:
Anyone else here think that the PS3 slim looks ugly compared to the original PS3?I certainly do.
Fucking Ugly, I have a 60GB Ps3 and it looks ten times better.
Back to top Go down
illiniguy

illiniguy

PostSubject: Re: How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim!   How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim! EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 4:41 pm

The original PS3 60GB looks TONS better than the PS3 Slim.

The slim sort of looks like a poor attempt at someone replicating Ben Heck.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Cole Drake
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class
Mr. Cole Drake

PostSubject: Re: How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim!   How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim! EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 4:56 pm

Lack of backward compatibility definitely hurts the PS3. It's the #1 thing on my wanted list to Sony. Admittedly, I probably wouldn't use it very often. But it still feels incomplete without that feature. Rumor has it they're going to add it through a patch after the PS2 is discontinued. Similar to downloading an emulator on your PC. It's just a rumor though.
Back to top Go down
ghost23

PostSubject: Re: How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim!   How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim! EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 7:19 pm

Arbiteris wrote:

They both look like something i grill my sausages on.
Back to top Go down
joe11
Ensign
Ensign
joe11

PostSubject: Re: How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim!   How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim! EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 7:23 pm

also the ps3 slime is last place
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Stigma

PostSubject: Re: How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim!   How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim! EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 7:47 pm

I have the lame 40GB model, and it looks better than that crap.

PS2 Slim > PS2 Fat

PS3 Slim < PS3 Fat

That is unbelievable hilarious!
Back to top Go down
daveMastaKill
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
daveMastaKill

PostSubject: Re: How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim!   How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim! EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 7:48 pm

AgentA-Mi6 wrote:
Arbiteris wrote:
Fucking Ugly, I have a 60GB Ps3 and it looks ten times better.

The fuck it does, the bigger are the consoles the worse. Size to me only matters for PC's. PS2 Slim is god compared to the normal one. This one didn't get has much reduced in size has i wanted but still has no AC adap which is a plus. The normal PS3 is buttugly compared only to the original Xbox. I mean, do i really wanted such a big console in my room with a Spider Man type letter saying PLAYSTATION 3? Hell to the no!!!!1

By the time we get a console has powerful has the PS3 or 360 with the size of the Wii, then we reach the golden age.
Back to top Go down
Static103
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer
Static103

PostSubject: Re: How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim!   How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim! EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 7:52 pm

Arbiteris wrote:

slim looks descent but not great. the fat one is a lot better looking with it's shiny surface and alien ship looking shape
Back to top Go down
Kendo
Ensign
Ensign
Kendo

PostSubject: Re: How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim!   How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim! EmptyTue Jan 26, 2010 12:15 pm

60GB ftw. Playing PS2 games and still be able to play PS3 games. WOO HOO!
Back to top Go down
Vorox2400

Vorox2400

PostSubject: Re: How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim!   How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim! EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 11:57 pm

if your gonna buy a ps3, your gonna play it for ps3 games right?
Back to top Go down
DustinDutRank
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class
DustinDutRank

PostSubject: Re: How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim!   How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim! EmptyThu Feb 04, 2010 1:35 am

Since having an Xbox360 from 2006 I have never played an Original Xbox game on it.
Since having a PS3 from 2008 I have never played a PS2 game on it, PS1 games yes.

For me, when I bought the 360 and the PS3, I bought it for "new" games. Not to play last gen games.

So having BC really doesn't make something worse or better imo.

It's nice if you like the old games. But that's not why I bought a "new" system.
Back to top Go down
343_Guilty_Spark
343_Guilty_Spark

PostSubject: Re: How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim!   How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim! EmptyThu Feb 04, 2010 1:44 am

DustinDutRank wrote:
Since having an Xbox360 from 2006 I have never played an Original Xbox game on it.
Since having a PS3 from 2008 I have never played a PS2 game on it, PS1 games yes.

For me, when I bought the 360 and the PS3, I bought it for "new" games. Not to play last gen games.

It's nice if you like the old games. But that's not why I bought a "new" system.

Games don't all of a sudden stop kicking ass just becuase a new console is out. I don't know about you but there are a ton of games from last gen that I never got a chance to play. I can't afford to buy every new game every week, but I can afford to buy used games from last gen that are NEW to me.

Sony only removed backwards compatibility so they could sell PS2s and sell PS2 and PS1 games on PSN.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bungie.net
DustinDutRank
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class
DustinDutRank

PostSubject: Re: How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim!   How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim! EmptyThu Feb 04, 2010 1:55 am

343_Guilty_Spark wrote:
DustinDutRank wrote:

Games don't all of a sudden stop kicking ass just becuase a new console is out. I don't know about you but there are a ton of games from last gen that I never got a chance to play. I can't afford to buy every new game every week, but I can afford to buy used games from last gen that are NEW to me.

Sony only removed backwards compatibility so they could sell PS2s and sell PS2 and PS1 games on PSN.
And because it was costing them more than they were making by keeping the emotion engine in it. Which then brought on the price drop when they stopped putting it in the new PS3s.
Back to top Go down
343_Guilty_Spark
343_Guilty_Spark

PostSubject: Re: How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim!   How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim! EmptyThu Feb 04, 2010 3:10 am

DustinDutRank wrote:
343_Guilty_Spark wrote:
DustinDutRank wrote:

And because it was costing them more than they were making by keeping the emotion engine in it. Which then brought on the price drop when they stopped putting it in the new PS3s.

Dude, dropping the Emotion Engine, (BTW most hilariously overstated name of a regular chip) didn't stop backwards compatibility. They did in with software with the later fat PS3 before dropping all backwards compatibility with the Slim. Why would they do that? Did losing a few pounds all of a sudden make it impossible to emulate the PS2? No, if the PS3 fat could do it in software so can the Slim. They killed backwards compatibility to screw people out of money. Better get a PS2 to play PS2 games or better yet buy those games again online for $20 instead of getting them used for $5 on a disc.

Are you seriously defending Sony's typical "Screw You, Give Me More Money" mentality?

MS has software backwards compatibility and all the games they sell on Games on Demand can be found cheaper used on a disc. They don't force you to pay for the download, you can play the original Xbox disc. The only choice Sony gives you is choosing between a $99 PS2 or a rebuy.

This is a undefendable business practice. How can like the fact that Sony is trying to rape the pockets of it's fans?
Back to top Go down
DustinDutRank
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class
DustinDutRank

PostSubject: Re: How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim!   How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim! EmptyThu Feb 04, 2010 3:19 am

They had to sell the PS3 at $600 with full(almost) backwards compatibility to make a small profit in the beginning.
Then the price dropped to what? $400 and the new models only had PS1 backward compatibility. I wonder why? And the Emotion Engine is the CPU that allowed the PS2 to play its games. So removing it from the PS3 would cut the cost significantly. So Idk what you are talking about software for.
Back to top Go down
343_Guilty_Spark
343_Guilty_Spark

PostSubject: Re: How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim!   How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim! EmptyThu Feb 04, 2010 3:35 am

DustinDutRank wrote:
They had to sell the PS3 at $600 with full(almost) backwards compatibility to make a small profit in the beginning.
Then the price dropped to what? $400 and the new models only had PS1 backward compatibility. I wonder why? And the Emotion Engine is the CPU that allowed the PS2 to play its games. So removing it from the PS3 would cut the cost significantly. So Idk what you are talking about software for.

Software emulation like in the Xbox 360.

The Xbox 360 doesn't have a special Xbox Original chip, it emulates the original hardware of the Xbox in software. Sony first released the insanely overpriced PS3 with full backwards compatibility. People said screw you it's too expensive, and it was, so Sony dropped the Emotion Engine, cuts some USB ports, put in s 20 gig harddrive and updated the firmware with a software emulator with limited backwards compatibility promising to continuesly update the list of PS2 games supported. Just like Microsft. Then they released the Slim without ANY free backwards compatibility.

Noticed I sayd "Free" in the last sentences. What do you think those PS2 games Sony plans to sell on PSN will be running on? A software emulator. Too bad they won't let you put in the disc you already own. No, they'll make you repurchase the game. take FF7 for example. If you have a Slim and want to play FF7 you have to buy it on PSN. But if the game can run on a PS3 then why can't I use the disc?

Yep, you guessed it. So Sony can screw you out of even more money.

Why are you defending Sony as if everything they do is good?
Back to top Go down
DustinDutRank
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class
DustinDutRank

PostSubject: Re: How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim!   How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim! EmptyThu Feb 04, 2010 3:48 am

How can a PS3 Slim not play FF7? It's a PS1 game.

I'm not defending Sony.
I'm explaining why they don't have BC on some PS3s.

You're claiming that they are screwing customers when they aren't.
Why is it that when I play an Original Xbox game on my 360 it has issues that I wouldn't experience if I played it on an Original Xbox?

Sure the 360 has BC, but the games play like crap with framerate issues, freezing, and graphic loss.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim!   How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim! Empty

Back to top Go down

How Sony Failed With the PS3 Slim!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next