This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.



 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log in  

 

 Is XBL extortion?

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Is XBL extortion?
Yes it is
Is XBL extortion? Vote_lcap56%Is XBL extortion? Vote_rcap
 56% [ 10 ]
No it's not
Is XBL extortion? Vote_lcap44%Is XBL extortion? Vote_rcap
 44% [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 18
 

AuthorMessage
Stigma
Four Star General (Moderator)
Four Star General (Moderator)
Stigma

Posts : 2309
Join date : 2009-12-01
Location : US

Is XBL extortion? Empty
PostSubject: Is XBL extortion?   Is XBL extortion? EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 2:02 pm

Oh hell yes, it's flat out extortion, no matter how good party chat and the XBL Marketplace are you are still forced to pay to play online. Also, the increase the price for all users for a service not everyone will use. And they said shit like how an internet browser wouldn't be as good on a PC and they shouldn't bother with nor should anyone care, yet they put Facebook apps and that other crap that are inferior on the 360 than an actual PC. I'd say the value of XBL for me is $30 because it varies depending on how many of the services you use.

However, with all said, I'd still rather overpay for a good service than get a free, but shitty service.
Back to top Go down
TRF
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
TRF

Posts : 1480
Join date : 2009-10-03

Is XBL extortion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is XBL extortion?   Is XBL extortion? EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 2:15 pm

Microsoft earns a ton of revenue from the ads, no? So couldn't they charge a little less while keeping their service the same? Hell, they could remove Facebook, Twitter, last.fm, etc., I never use those.

Personally I think XBL and PS+ are both somewhat extortion, although PS+ is optional.
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Four Star General (Moderator)
Four Star General (Moderator)
Stigma

Posts : 2309
Join date : 2009-12-01
Location : US

Is XBL extortion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is XBL extortion?   Is XBL extortion? EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 2:27 pm

TRF wrote:
Microsoft earns a ton of revenue from the ads, no? So couldn't they charge a little less while keeping their service the same? Hell, they could remove Facebook, Twitter, last.fm, etc., I never use those.

Personally I think XBL and PS+ are both somewhat extortion, although PS+ is optional.

I don't have a problem with the adds because everything you actually use is on the left, you have to scroll to the right to see the adds, the only thing on the right are stuff that's in the My Xbox panal. I kinda like the adds though, I learn a lot of shit I wouldn't have known about considering that most of the adds are about video games, or new songs in the music section, or new videos in the video section. But yes they make enough from those, they should lower, not raise prices.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



Is XBL extortion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is XBL extortion?   Is XBL extortion? EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 3:48 pm

I think so, especially if they actually raise it to $60. Thats why I buy it when they have the deals.
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Four Star General (Moderator)
Four Star General (Moderator)
Stigma

Posts : 2309
Join date : 2009-12-01
Location : US

Is XBL extortion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is XBL extortion?   Is XBL extortion? EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 7:46 pm

TheJubJub5721 wrote:
I think so, especially if they actually raise it to $60. Thats why I buy it when they have the deals.

Same, I bought a year's worth of Gold a few days ago during the Halo Reach XBL promo for $30.
Back to top Go down
ghost23
Four Star General (Moderator)
Four Star General (Moderator)


Posts : 3425
Join date : 2009-12-16
Location : Australia

Is XBL extortion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is XBL extortion?   Is XBL extortion? EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 7:54 pm

Ads?
I've never seen any ads on the Aussie version of XBL. Interesting.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



Is XBL extortion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is XBL extortion?   Is XBL extortion? EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 8:36 pm

ghost23 wrote:
Ads?
I've never seen any ads on the Aussie version of XBL. Interesting.

On the US version sometime there are more ads on the spotlight sections and stuff then actually gaming stuff.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



Is XBL extortion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is XBL extortion?   Is XBL extortion? EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 8:36 pm

BlackStigma wrote:
TheJubJub5721 wrote:
I think so, especially if they actually raise it to $60. Thats why I buy it when they have the deals.

Same, I bought a year's worth of Gold a few days ago during the Halo Reach XBL promo for $30.

Same. Its funny cause I just bought live 2 months before that Razz
Back to top Go down
TRF
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
TRF

Posts : 1480
Join date : 2009-10-03

Is XBL extortion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is XBL extortion?   Is XBL extortion? EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 9:19 pm

ghost23 wrote:
Ads?
I've never seen any ads on the Aussie version of XBL. Interesting.
You've never seen those free Dr. Pepper or Mountain Dew or Dorito gamer pictures or anything? They're not a bother to the gamer, but you would think with those ads, Microsoft would lower the price rather than raise it.
Back to top Go down
DarkSwarm85
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer
DarkSwarm85

Posts : 992
Join date : 2010-02-02
Age : 34
Location : California

Is XBL extortion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is XBL extortion?   Is XBL extortion? EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 4:55 am

Depends on how much money they make.
Back to top Go down
raspymanic1
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer
raspymanic1

Posts : 484
Join date : 2009-09-21
Age : 36
Location : southampton uk

Is XBL extortion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is XBL extortion?   Is XBL extortion? EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 7:21 am

i still cant belive people are bitchin about paying for live Rolling Eyes do you also bitch about rent and taxes and tv liscences and and phone/mobile bills and travel expensives and broadband bills and water bills and gas and electric bills ect....... fact is for £6 a month for live, it is still the most cheapest thing on my monthly bills and guess what it the only thing on the list i like Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TRF
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
TRF

Posts : 1480
Join date : 2009-10-03

Is XBL extortion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is XBL extortion?   Is XBL extortion? EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 3:55 pm

raspymanic1 wrote:
i still cant belive people are bitchin about paying for live Rolling Eyes do you also bitch about rent and taxes and tv liscences and and phone/mobile bills and travel expensives and broadband bills and water bills and gas and electric bills ect....... fact is for £6 a month for live, it is still the most cheapest thing on my monthly bills and guess what it the only thing on the list i like Very Happy
Please be joking. You seriously cannot compare rent, utility bills, taxes, and phone bills to Xbox LIVE . . . here's the difference: you bought the console. You bought a game. Now you need to pay extra to take advantage of the full game.

The other major difference being that you need shelter, electricity, water, etc., much more than online play.
Back to top Go down
raspymanic1
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer
raspymanic1

Posts : 484
Join date : 2009-09-21
Age : 36
Location : southampton uk

Is XBL extortion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is XBL extortion?   Is XBL extortion? EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 4:03 pm

TRF wrote:
raspymanic1 wrote:
i still cant belive people are bitchin about paying for live Rolling Eyes do you also bitch about rent and taxes and tv liscences and and phone/mobile bills and travel expensives and broadband bills and water bills and gas and electric bills ect....... fact is for £6 a month for live, it is still the most cheapest thing on my monthly bills and guess what it the only thing on the list i like Very Happy
Please be joking. You seriously cannot compare rent, utility bills, taxes, and phone bills to Xbox LIVE . . . here's the difference: you bought the console. You bought a game. Now you need to pay extra to take advantage of the full game.

The other major difference being that you need shelter, electricity, water, etc., much more than online play.

no i think its a joke that you moan about £6 a month lol i piss £6 on nothing
Back to top Go down
raspymanic1
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer
raspymanic1

Posts : 484
Join date : 2009-09-21
Age : 36
Location : southampton uk

Is XBL extortion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is XBL extortion?   Is XBL extortion? EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 4:20 pm

also buy a phone and you have to pay credit for it buy an ipod and you have to buy songs for it buy a dvd player and you have to buy dvds for it buy a car and you have to buy gas for it ect
Back to top Go down
TRF
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
TRF

Posts : 1480
Join date : 2009-10-03

Is XBL extortion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is XBL extortion?   Is XBL extortion? EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 5:01 pm

raspymanic1 wrote:
TRF wrote:
raspymanic1 wrote:
i still cant belive people are bitchin about paying for live Rolling Eyes do you also bitch about rent and taxes and tv liscences and and phone/mobile bills and travel expensives and broadband bills and water bills and gas and electric bills ect....... fact is for £6 a month for live, it is still the most cheapest thing on my monthly bills and guess what it the only thing on the list i like Very Happy
Please be joking. You seriously cannot compare rent, utility bills, taxes, and phone bills to Xbox LIVE . . . here's the difference: you bought the console. You bought a game. Now you need to pay extra to take advantage of the full game.

The other major difference being that you need shelter, electricity, water, etc., much more than online play.

no i think its a joke that you moan about £6 a month lol i piss £6 on nothing
It's not about the price. It's the fact that Microsoft has no reason to make the price what it is, let alone raise it, when they have a ton of ad revenue coming in.

raspymanic1 wrote:
also buy a phone and you have to pay credit for it buy an ipod and you have to buy songs for it buy a dvd player and you have to buy dvds for it buy a car and you have to buy gas for it ect
Your argument equates to buying games for a console. Think of a better analogy next time. Wink
Back to top Go down
raspymanic1
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer
raspymanic1

Posts : 484
Join date : 2009-09-21
Age : 36
Location : southampton uk

Is XBL extortion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is XBL extortion?   Is XBL extortion? EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 5:12 pm

microsoft is a buiness its goal is to make money if you dont want to give microsoft your money for one their services then dont own an xbox, simple
Back to top Go down
Arbiteris
Four Star General (Moderator)
Four Star General (Moderator)
Arbiteris

Posts : 5064
Join date : 2009-09-15
Location : Sanghelios

Is XBL extortion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is XBL extortion?   Is XBL extortion? EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 5:23 pm

TRF wrote:
raspymanic1 wrote:
i still cant belive people are bitchin about paying for live Rolling Eyes do you also bitch about rent and taxes and tv liscences and and phone/mobile bills and travel expensives and broadband bills and water bills and gas and electric bills ect....... fact is for £6 a month for live, it is still the most cheapest thing on my monthly bills and guess what it the only thing on the list i like Very Happy
Please be joking. You seriously cannot compare rent, utility bills, taxes, and phone bills to Xbox LIVE . . . here's the difference: you bought the console. You bought a game. Now you need to pay extra to take advantage of the full game.

The other major difference being that you need shelter, electricity, water, etc., much more than online play.

It cossts to use phones right?So when I go an spend money on the phone,I have to continue paying just to use it.Thats just liek with XBL.Except you dont need to play online to game
Back to top Go down
raspymanic1
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer
raspymanic1

Posts : 484
Join date : 2009-09-21
Age : 36
Location : southampton uk

Is XBL extortion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is XBL extortion?   Is XBL extortion? EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 5:26 pm

also your saying you dont mind paying for thing you have to like rent and taxes but you do mind paying for something you love like xbl scratch i really dont get your logic
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
Four Star General (Moderator)
Four Star General (Moderator)
DemonWolf

Posts : 9104
Join date : 2009-09-11
Age : 27
Location : UK? Yes I'm fine.

Is XBL extortion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is XBL extortion?   Is XBL extortion? EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 5:05 am

It's arguable..

I personally am not too bothered with the price. But yeah, I guess you could say it is rather expensive....but just compare it to Sky.
Sky you pay like £15 a month or something isn't it? Maybe more?
And you get access to a lot of tv channels.
Well xbl is cheaper and it allows you to play any of your multiplayer-games online on stable servers.
The games I play online are:

Timeshift
Halo 3
Midnight Club LA
Gears Of War
Gears Of War 2
Crackdown
Shadowrun
Frontlines
Red Dead Redemption
The Darkness

That's okay imo. 10 games to play online, then loads of demos and access to other downloads, cool features and flexible chat.
But yeah, I don't think it's extortion but I do think we could get a bit more for what we pay.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
raspymanic1
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer
raspymanic1

Posts : 484
Join date : 2009-09-21
Age : 36
Location : southampton uk

Is XBL extortion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is XBL extortion?   Is XBL extortion? EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 6:33 am

DemonWolf wrote:
It's arguable..

I personally am not too bothered with the price. But yeah, I guess you could say it is rather expensive....but just compare it to Sky.
Sky you pay like £15 a month or something isn't it? Maybe more?
And you get access to a lot of tv channels.

well i get sky+ hd with broadband and phone line which is £65 a month with intrest ect this is what i mean when i say xbox live is the least of my worries 20p a day 2 mins of work, i take toilet breaks longer than that, hence the term ''i piss £6'' lol!
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
Four Star General (Moderator)
Four Star General (Moderator)
DemonWolf

Posts : 9104
Join date : 2009-09-11
Age : 27
Location : UK? Yes I'm fine.

Is XBL extortion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is XBL extortion?   Is XBL extortion? EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 2:53 pm

raspymanic1 wrote:
DemonWolf wrote:
It's arguable..

I personally am not too bothered with the price. But yeah, I guess you could say it is rather expensive....but just compare it to Sky.
Sky you pay like £15 a month or something isn't it? Maybe more?
And you get access to a lot of tv channels.

well i get sky+ hd with broadband and phone line which is £65 a month with intrest ect this is what i mean when i say xbox live is the least of my worries 20p a day 2 mins of work, i take toilet breaks longer than that, hence the term ''i piss £6'' lol!

omg XD that's pretty damn awesome. (not the fact that you pay £65 a month, but that you can afford all of that and barely even worry about XBL)
But yeah anyway, I still wish I could literally piss £6 Sad that would be so helpful whenever I need money. lol
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
Frank2368
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class
Frank2368

Posts : 187
Join date : 2010-02-11

Is XBL extortion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is XBL extortion?   Is XBL extortion? EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 2:54 pm

DemonWolf wrote:
It's arguable..

I personally am not too bothered with the price. But yeah, I guess you could say it is rather expensive....but just compare it to Sky.
Sky you pay like £15 a month or something isn't it? Maybe more?
And you get access to a lot of tv channels.
Well xbl is cheaper and it allows you to play any of your multiplayer-games online on stable servers.
The games I play online are:

Timeshift
Halo 3
Midnight Club LA
Gears Of War
Gears Of War 2
Crackdown
Shadowrun
Frontlines
Red Dead Redemption
The Darkness

That's okay imo. 10 games to play online, then loads of demos and access to other downloads, cool features and flexible chat.
But yeah, I don't think it's extortion but I do think we could get a bit more for what we pay.

XBL doesn't use servers, it's all P2P Razz
Back to top Go down
TRF
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
TRF

Posts : 1480
Join date : 2009-10-03

Is XBL extortion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is XBL extortion?   Is XBL extortion? EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 3:42 pm

Arbiteris wrote:
It cossts to use phones right?So when I go an spend money on the phone,I have to continue paying just to use it.Thats just liek with XBL.Except you dont need to play online to game
Every cell provider charges for phone service just like every Internet provider charges for Internet. The equivalent of the 360 would be a phone that you are already paying for through Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, etc., but the phone won't get service unless you pay extra money to Samsung, LG, HTC, etc.

raspymanic1 wrote:
also your saying you dont mind paying for thing you have to like rent and taxes but you do mind paying for something you love like xbl scratch i really dont get your logic
I don't mind paying for things like rent and taxes because it's mandatory and EVERYBODY does it. I can get a fairly good online service on another console for free. If EVERY console manufacturer charged for online, then I wouldn't mind paying for XBL, but as it stands, Microsoft is the only manufacturer charging for online play.
Back to top Go down
Arbiteris
Four Star General (Moderator)
Four Star General (Moderator)
Arbiteris

Posts : 5064
Join date : 2009-09-15
Location : Sanghelios

Is XBL extortion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is XBL extortion?   Is XBL extortion? EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 6:19 pm

TRF wrote:
Arbiteris wrote:
It cossts to use phones right?So when I go an spend money on the phone,I have to continue paying just to use it.Thats just liek with XBL.Except you dont need to play online to game
Every cell provider charges for phone service just like every Internet provider charges for Internet. The equivalent of the 360 would be a phone that you are already paying for through Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, etc., but the phone won't get service unless you pay extra money to Samsung, LG, HTC, etc.

raspymanic1 wrote:
also your saying you dont mind paying for thing you have to like rent and taxes but you do mind paying for something you love like xbl scratch i really dont get your logic
I don't mind paying for things like rent and taxes because it's mandatory and EVERYBODY does it. I can get a fairly good online service on another console for free. If EVERY console manufacturer charged for online, then I wouldn't mind paying for XBL, but as it stands, Microsoft is the only manufacturer charging for online play.

Well then sell your 360 and buy a PS3.If EVERY console manufacturer had crappy online,I wouldnt mind PSN and wouldnt pay for XBL,but as it stands, XBL has the best online


Last edited by Arbiteris on Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TRF
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
TRF

Posts : 1480
Join date : 2009-10-03

Is XBL extortion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is XBL extortion?   Is XBL extortion? EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 6:40 pm

Arbiteris wrote:
Well then sell your 360 and buy a PS3.If EVERY console manufacturer had crappy online,I wouldnt mind PSN and would pay for XBL,but as it stands, XBL has the best online
Yes, the 360 does have the best online, but PSN is far from a crappy service, and I mean FAR.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




Is XBL extortion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is XBL extortion?   Is XBL extortion? Empty

Back to top Go down
 
Is XBL extortion?
Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General Xbox360 Discussion :: XBox Live-
Jump to: