This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Interesting Thread (Power of the Xbox 360)

Go down 
+5
DemonWolf
A7MAD_AU
Master_Chief
ghost23
day walker
9 posters
AuthorMessage
day walker
Fleet Master Chief Petty Officer
Fleet Master Chief Petty Officer
day walker

Interesting Thread (Power of the Xbox 360) Empty
PostSubject: Interesting Thread (Power of the Xbox 360)   Interesting Thread (Power of the Xbox 360) EmptyWed Mar 31, 2010 5:22 pm

http://au.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=27242192&page=4 scroll down and look at a certain long post bout the 360 and it's power, now i dont know much bout the power ability but the guy with the splinter cell avatar really helped explaining to the cows, to bad they wont listen.

Quote :
I know you knew,but not quite If it worked like you say,ps3 would pretty much spank 360 in exclusives and multiplats.But thats not how it works.

http://www.elitebastards.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=69&Itemid=29&limitstart=1

Here it is...

When you use "old" structure like rsx and renders water in this example,you will use all your pixel shaders and your vertex will sit there doing nothing.It all happens in matter of ms.In real life when you change your view from for example city scrapers to water,alus will automatically change from most vertex work to pixel.

So in rsx case it goes like this,renders skyscrapers,first vertex work(geometry),pixel alus stay doing nothing,then after that pixel alus work to pixel those building while vertex do nothing(in all those you loose ms).Then you change your view towards water and your pixels do all the work,vertex doing nothing.

In xenos case you look at skyscrapers and if you need 4 alus for vertex system automatically change them towards that while rest 44 alus do pixel,nothing stays idle.They you change your view towards water and all 48 alus do pixel shading,same with post processing,all 48 alus do it.not to mention how RSX does math first,then does texturing,then again math while texturing stalls and so on.On xenos you do math the same time you do texturing and nothing stalls.

This is non unified.

Interesting Thread (Power of the Xbox 360) 17230915150l

This is unified.

Interesting Thread (Power of the Xbox 360) 17230915357l

Now you also should note that ALOT of "operations" cost sometimes free,sometimes twice less on xenos then rsx,and that you have edram for your aa,alpha blending and deferred rendering(you will always use ram memory for DR in ps3) and then you see why those consoles are quite equally looking in multiplats.

But this all now seems black for rsx,but ND and GG used 3 spus out of 6 for helping rsx rendering,but its all same all for helping mainly with vertex and post processing.So what im trying to say is that xenos capability is quite more then people in 05 thought(similar to xcpu vs cell,they gave cell edge based on flops but didnt know what spus can really do,now they know)and its no wonder that 360 can still hold its own in so many games.
and another thread man this guy knows a fuckload about he consoles, http://au.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=27242304&page=1

Last edited by day walker on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ghost23
Four Star General (Moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Thread (Power of the Xbox 360)   Interesting Thread (Power of the Xbox 360) EmptyWed Mar 31, 2010 6:01 pm

Holy shit I thought I knew a lot about technology but I was just completely lost throughout that entire post.
Back to top Go down
Master_Chief
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Master_Chief

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Thread (Power of the Xbox 360)   Interesting Thread (Power of the Xbox 360) EmptyWed Mar 31, 2010 10:51 pm

Unified shaders are what all PC graphics cards use now including Nvidia who used to use shader 3.0. ATI started that around the time the 360 GPU was being worked on which is why the 360 has it. Nvidia was still using shader 3.0 when the RSX in the PS3 was made so thats why the PS3 GPU doesn't have unified shaders. Nvidia now uses unified shaders starting with their GForce 8800 I believe which came out after PS3 was already on the market.
Back to top Go down
A7MAD_AU
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class
A7MAD_AU

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Thread (Power of the Xbox 360)   Interesting Thread (Power of the Xbox 360) EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 11:01 am

RSX is off the shelf and kind of a last minute solution (Sony originally wanted 2 Cell Processors with 1 dedicated for graphics).

Xenos was planned & worked with by ATI/AMD for the 360. Planned all along since the start.
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Thread (Power of the Xbox 360)   Interesting Thread (Power of the Xbox 360) EmptySun Apr 04, 2010 11:17 am

ghost23 wrote:
Holy shit I thought I knew a lot about technology but I was just completely lost throughout that entire post.

same but the dude used a lot of technical terms and so I'm going to pretend I understand and just accept that everything he says is fact XD
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
Alan1994
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Alan1994

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Thread (Power of the Xbox 360)   Interesting Thread (Power of the Xbox 360) EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 10:17 pm

The Xenos is approximately twice as poweful as the RSX. The RSX makes up for it by giving alot of the workload off to the Cell. The Cell SPUs can handle AA, shaders, and even post processing effects.
Back to top Go down
343_Guilty_Spark
343_Guilty_Spark

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Thread (Power of the Xbox 360)   Interesting Thread (Power of the Xbox 360) EmptySat Apr 17, 2010 12:18 am

Alan1994 wrote:
The Xenos is approximately twice as poweful as the RSX. The RSX makes up for it by giving alot of the workload off to the Cell. The Cell SPUs can handle AA, shaders, and even post processing effects.

PS3 fanboys like to claim that the PS3 is so much more powerfull than the Xbox 360 that it's games can't be done on anything but the PS3. lol, the two machines have pros and cons, but at the end of the day they are evenly matched. Even the designer of both console's CPUs has said it, yet PS3 fanboys keep eating the BS Sony spews at press conferences and regurgitates it like it's anything more that "Blast Processing". lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.bungie.net
Alan1994
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Alan1994

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Thread (Power of the Xbox 360)   Interesting Thread (Power of the Xbox 360) EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 6:41 pm

343_Guilty_Spark wrote:
Alan1994 wrote:

PS3 fanboys like to claim that the PS3 is so much more powerfull than the Xbox 360 that it's games can't be done on anything but the PS3. lol, the two machines have pros and cons, but at the end of the day they are evenly matched. Even the designer of both console's CPUs has said it, yet PS3 fanboys keep eating the BS Sony spews at press conferences and regurgitates it like it's anything more that "Blast Processing". lol!

It really just depends on the software asnd the attitude of the developers. Specifically the game engine.

The best looking Xbox 360 titles are usually cross platform engines like the Unreal Engine. They are very good engines, but they don't use anywhere near 100% of the 360's architecture.

Alan Wake will really show off what developers can do with a unified shader architecture and 4xMsAA. It's going to have AA on everything including trees and bushes. That's insane! Not to mention that the color pallete used for Alan Wake is 3 times as extensive as Uncharted or God of War. And I don't even need to comment on the lighting.
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Stoney

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Thread (Power of the Xbox 360)   Interesting Thread (Power of the Xbox 360) EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 7:38 pm

Alan1994 wrote:
343_Guilty_Spark wrote:
Alan1994 wrote:

It really just depends on the software asnd the attitude of the developers. Specifically the game engine.

The best looking Xbox 360 titles are usually cross platform engines like the Unreal Engine. They are very good engines, but they don't use anywhere near 100% of the 360's architecture.

Alan Wake will really show off what developers can do with a unified shader architecture and 4xMsAA. It's going to have AA on everything including trees and bushes. That's insane! Not to mention that the color pallete used for Alan Wake is 3 times as extensive as Uncharted or God of War. And I don't even need to comment on the lighting.

Really! 3 times more than GoW 3 and Uncharted! I cant wait to play it on a big 40" HDTV!!!
Back to top Go down
joe11
Ensign
Ensign
joe11

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Thread (Power of the Xbox 360)   Interesting Thread (Power of the Xbox 360) EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 4:30 pm

nice thread rally educational
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interesting Thread (Power of the Xbox 360)   Interesting Thread (Power of the Xbox 360) Empty

Back to top Go down

Interesting Thread (Power of the Xbox 360)
Page 1 of 1