This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Game of the year 2010 predictions?

Go down 
+17
Stigma
Inuboy1000
Doominator99
Lord_Orpheo
Alan1994
DemonWolf
OnettResident
TRF
Pein
Madtoker
Freemon34'
ghost23
Noelol
daveMastaKill
Blixtstorm
Arbiteris
MasterCheef
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Stigma
Four Star General (Moderator)
Stigma

Game of the year 2010 predictions? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game of the year 2010 predictions?   Game of the year 2010 predictions? - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 4:35 pm

TRF wrote:
I would consider LittleBigPlanet 2 a platformer, it just happens to have a much broader level designer. And since when were Spike's VGAs the "be all, end all" of video game awards?

Because they're the most well known...

But I've always thought of VGA just being a bunch of fanboys voting for their system's exclusives.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Game of the year 2010 predictions?   Game of the year 2010 predictions? - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 4:46 pm

BlackStigma wrote:
TRF wrote:
I would consider LittleBigPlanet 2 a platformer, it just happens to have a much broader level designer. And since when were Spike's VGAs the "be all, end all" of video game awards?

But I've always thought of VGA just being a bunch of fanboys voting for their system's exclusives.

Pretty much is. But its the unbiased gamers that decide it. the fanboys pretty much equal each other out.
Back to top Go down
Arbiteris
Arbiteris

PostSubject: Re: Game of the year 2010 predictions?   Game of the year 2010 predictions? - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 4:49 pm

lul LBP 2?Goty?Hahahahahahaha!Halo Reach will kick its ass!!!

Noble Six will kill sackboy and then teabag him afterwards!!!
Back to top Go down
TRF
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
TRF

PostSubject: Re: Game of the year 2010 predictions?   Game of the year 2010 predictions? - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 5:28 pm

TheJubJub5721 wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:
TRF wrote:

Pretty much is. But its the unbiased gamers that decide it. the fanboys pretty much equal each other out.
Chances are, though, most game reviewers have played all of the nominees for the awards. Chances are, the average gamer has not played all of the nominees and therefore his decision isn't really well-thought out.

Arbiteris wrote:
lul LBP 2?Goty?Hahahahahahaha!Halo Reach will kick its ass!!!

Noble Six will kill sackboy and then teabag him afterwards!!!
I can always recreate Reach in LBP2, so take that. Razz
Back to top Go down
Alan1994
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Alan1994

PostSubject: Re: Game of the year 2010 predictions?   Game of the year 2010 predictions? - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 6:17 pm

Lord_Orpheo wrote:
In order to determine the contenders for GotY we must examine each genre for it's yearly champion.
Best Action Game: "God of War 3" or "Red Dead Redemption"
Best Action / Adventure Hybrid Game: "Heavy Rain"
Best Platforming Game: "Super Mario Galaxy 2"
Best Racing Game: "Gran Turismo 5"
Best RPG: "Mass Effect 2"
Best Shooting Game: "Call of Duty: Black Ops" or "Halo: Reach"
Best Strategy Game: "Star Craft II: Wings of Liberty"
Best Non-Genre Specific Game: "Little Big Planet 2"

I think these are the real contenders for GotY. Now, I narrow this list down by comparing aggregate scores on Game Rankings & Metacritic. What I'm actually doing is averaging it out ((Game Rankings + Metacritic) / 2), which is why there's only one score next to a game.
God of War 3 = 92.035
Red Dead Redemption = 94.75
Heavy Rain = 88.15
Super Mario Galaxy 2 = 97.035
Gran Turismo 5 = No Ratings Yet, But Expect This To Be Between 99 - 100
Mass Effect 2 = 95.87
Call of Duty: Black Ops = No Ratings Yet, But Expect This To Be Between 90 - 93
Halo: Reach = No Ratings Yet, But Expect This To Be Between 92 - 94
Star Craft II: Wings of Liberty = 93.335
Little Big Planet 2 = No Ratings Yet, But Expect This To Be Between 94 - 95

So far it looks like "Super Mario Galaxy 2" is set to win it, but if "Gran Turismo 5" meets expectations then a Sony - exclusive will be taking home a GotY award two years in a row.

Woah.

Expected rating for GT5 is 99-100? Are you serious. With how long it's been in development and all the pressure I'm starting to think GT5 will be either a low AAA or a high AA. Not to forget the fact that even though we thought all 1000 cars are getting the "premium" treatment we found out only percentage will be what we expected. Besides many people (not me because I'm a car lover) don't think racing simulators are that exciting or fun. I mean Forza 3 was practically the highest rated racing game this generation and it's only at a 92%.

I'm just saying; lower your expectations and I promise you you won't be disappointed. More hype usually means more disappointment.
Back to top Go down
Lord_Orpheo
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Lord_Orpheo

PostSubject: Re: Game of the year 2010 predictions?   Game of the year 2010 predictions? - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 9:53 pm

LBP2 is more then just a Platformer. It's possible to create platforming levels with it, but as I said you can create levels from almost any genre with this game; from arena battles, to side-scrolling shooters, to racers, to retro arcade mimics. That's why it doesn't fit into any real genre other than Construction.

With the attention to graphic detail, the plethora of cars & modes, awesome realistic physics, 3D support, integration with Gran Turismo PSP, car damage, and GT-TV I can see this game getting nearly a perfect score. The franchise creator, Kazunori Yamauchi, is a perfectionist and after the time he's had to work on this game I think it's going to be AAA.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Game of the year 2010 predictions?   Game of the year 2010 predictions? - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 10:48 pm

Lord_Orpheo wrote:
LBP2 is more then just a Platformer. It's possible to create platforming levels with it, but as I said you can create levels from almost any genre with this game; from arena battles, to side-scrolling shooters, to racers, to retro arcade mimics. That's why it doesn't fit into any real genre other than Construction.

But the main point of LBP has still been to get from point A to B. Even with racing, shooting and all that. The objective of each level is still to get to the end. Even with the customization I think it still should be considered a platformer. Thats my opinion on it.
Back to top Go down
Doominator99
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: Game of the year 2010 predictions?   Game of the year 2010 predictions? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 5:47 am

I dont think reach will win because it doesnt have anything new. Its just upgrading everything from odst and adding features that have benn in other shooters for years. Sorry but i just dont think it will win, it will be a nominee but not a winner
Back to top Go down
TRF
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
TRF

PostSubject: Re: Game of the year 2010 predictions?   Game of the year 2010 predictions? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 6:34 am

Lord_Orpheo wrote:
Yeah, but that's just the level editor. The main storyline is a platformer, and LBP1 was a platformer. LBP2 may have a ton of extra bells and whistles, but at its core it's a platformer.
Back to top Go down
Doominator99
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: Game of the year 2010 predictions?   Game of the year 2010 predictions? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 7:01 am

TRF wrote:
Lord_Orpheo wrote:
Yeah, but that's just the level editor. The main storyline is a platformer, and LBP1 was a platformer. LBP2 may have a ton of extra bells and whistles, but at its core it's a platformer.

Its not just a platformer, its a platform for GAMES! sorry i had to say it lol!
Back to top Go down
ghost23

PostSubject: Re: Game of the year 2010 predictions?   Game of the year 2010 predictions? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 9:03 am

Doominator99 wrote:
I dont think reach will win because it doesnt have anything new. Its just upgrading everything from odst and adding features that have benn in other shooters for years. Sorry but i just dont think it will win, it will be a nominee but not a winner

Forge been in other console shooters for years? No
Theatre been in other shooters for years? No
Completely customisable firefight been in other shooters for years? Not really

And don't even get me started on how amazing the campaign will be.
Back to top Go down
Doominator99
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: Game of the year 2010 predictions?   Game of the year 2010 predictions? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 10:33 am

ghost23 wrote:
Doominator99 wrote:

Theater mode isnt done by many games exept uncharted 2 and cod black ops but it isnt an amazing feature.
Forge mode has been in other games for years, tonnes of pc games have it (they also have there mods, lucky ****!), some last gen games like timesplitters 1,2 and 3 had it, little big planet and modnation racers are like forge mode on steroid's etc...
Fire fight isnt new, CODWAW has nazi zombies (and maybe black ops), gears of war 1, 2 and 3 have horde mode (3 will also have beast mode), uncharted 2, aliens vs predator and left for dead 1 and 2 have survival mode etc...
And it might have an amazing campain but so do lots of games that will get nominated.
Back to top Go down
Arbiteris
Arbiteris

PostSubject: Re: Game of the year 2010 predictions?   Game of the year 2010 predictions? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 10:57 am

Doominator99 wrote:
ghost23 wrote:
Doominator99 wrote:

Theater mode isnt done by many games exept uncharted 2 and cod black ops but it isnt an amazing feature.
Forge mode has been in other games for years, tonnes of pc games have it (they also have there mods, lucky ****!), some last gen games like timesplitters 1,2 and 3 had it, little big planet and modnation racers are like forge mode on steroid's etc...
Fire fight isnt new, CODWAW has nazi zombies (and maybe black ops), gears of war 1, 2 and 3 have horde mode (3 will also have beast mode), uncharted 2, aliens vs predator and left for dead 1 and 2 have survival mode etc...
And it might have an amazing campain but so do lots of games that will get nominated.

He did say firefight alone is new....

Back to top Go down
TRF
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
TRF

PostSubject: Re: Game of the year 2010 predictions?   Game of the year 2010 predictions? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 3:22 pm

ghost23 wrote:
Doominator99 wrote:

No, those features haven't been in console shooters, but they have been around on PC.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Game of the year 2010 predictions?   Game of the year 2010 predictions? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 5:06 pm

I wouldnt count firefight as new... lots of other games have wave defense modes, this is just updated.
Back to top Go down
Alan1994
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Alan1994

PostSubject: Re: Game of the year 2010 predictions?   Game of the year 2010 predictions? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 7:41 pm

Lord_Orpheo wrote:

With the attention to graphic detail, the plethora of cars & modes, awesome realistic physics, 3D support, integration with Gran Turismo PSP, car damage, and GT-TV I can see this game getting nearly a perfect score. The franchise creator, Kazunori Yamauchi, is a perfectionist and after the time he's had to work on this game I think it's going to be AAA.

It's going to be AAA, just not perfect score AAA >.>
Back to top Go down
Alan1994
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Alan1994

PostSubject: Re: Game of the year 2010 predictions?   Game of the year 2010 predictions? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 7:47 pm

Doominator99 wrote:

Games can be great even if the concepts have been done before. God of War 3 was spectacular and I don't recall seeing anything new that I haven't seen before in a hack and slash game. UC2, spectacular, GOTY, didn't do anything new except combined great ideas from 3D platformers (Tomb Raider) and TPS's (gears of war, Killswitch).

Halo Reach is taking everything good about the FPS genre, making it better, and then combining it all to create this one badass Super FPS (yes Halo Reach has it's own genre, SFPS). And hell, even if it isn't doing anything we haven't seen before....alot of the modern day FPS concepts were started BY HALO. So I find it funny when people call Halo generic, even though Halo 1 was the most innovative FPS at the time.
Back to top Go down
ghost23

PostSubject: Re: Game of the year 2010 predictions?   Game of the year 2010 predictions? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 8:16 pm

Doominator99 wrote:
ghost23 wrote:
Doominator99 wrote:

All the Machinima users will argue about how good of a feature Theatre is.
You just proved that no other console shooter has done Forge let along Forge 2.0
All the wave defence modes you mentioned have nowhere near the customisation and replayability that Firefight 2.0 will have.
Back to top Go down
Diplo
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Diplo

PostSubject: Re: Game of the year 2010 predictions?   Game of the year 2010 predictions? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 11:24 pm

Red Dead Redemption and Mario Galaxy 2
Back to top Go down
Doominator99
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: Game of the year 2010 predictions?   Game of the year 2010 predictions? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 8:10 am

ghost23 wrote:
Doominator99 wrote:
ghost23 wrote:
Doominator99 wrote:

You just proved that no other console shooter has done Forge let along Forge 2.0
All the wave defence modes you mentioned have nowhere near the customisation and replayability that Firefight 2.0 will have.

I thought you could just record gameplay with something (i think its called a caputre card or something) so you dont need theater mode to record stuff.
I dont know how i proved that no other console shooter has forge mode since i said some, also i forgot to mention far cry 2 and crysis 2
I dont know much about firefight because im not going to buy halo reach but most games hove there own twist to survival mode to make it look like its not a copy (eg CODWAW perks, traps and annoying glitches lol and uncharted 2's game mode and wave defence combo!)
Back to top Go down
ghost23

PostSubject: Re: Game of the year 2010 predictions?   Game of the year 2010 predictions? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 1:27 am

Doominator99 wrote:
ghost23 wrote:
Doominator99 wrote:
ghost23 wrote:
Doominator99 wrote:

I thought you could just record gameplay with something (i think its called a caputre card or something) so you dont need theater mode to record stuff.
I dont know how i proved that no other console shooter has forge mode since i said some, also i forgot to mention far cry 2 and crysis 2
I dont know much about firefight because im not going to buy halo reach but most games hove there own twist to survival mode to make it look like its not a copy (eg CODWAW perks, traps and annoying glitches lol and uncharted 2's game mode and wave defence combo!)

If you record with a capture card you have to record live gameplay and a proper HD card is expensive. With theatre mode you can go into a old clip and record from any angle on the battlefield.
And I also forgot to mention Bungie.net and how Halo Reach will have the best online statistics system of any game.
Back to top Go down
Invincible
Fleet Master Chief Petty Officer
Fleet Master Chief Petty Officer
Invincible

PostSubject: Re: Game of the year 2010 predictions?   Game of the year 2010 predictions? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 1:00 pm

I predict Little Big Planet 2 will win GOTY at the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences award show. And probably IGN too. These are only my guesses since I haven't played them all yet.

Game of the Year - Little Big Planet 2
Action Game of the Year - God of War III
Racing Game of the Year - Gran Turismo 5
RPGame of the Year - Mass Effect 2 or Fable III
Platforming Game of the Year - Super Mario Galaxy 2
Adventure Game of the Year - Heavy Rain
Shooting Game of the Year - Halo Reach
The 'Underdog' - Alan Wake/3D Dot Game Heroes

There's still a lot left to come, but so far my GOTY is Mario Galaxy 2.
Back to top Go down
ZeInFormer
Command Master Chief Petty Officer
Command Master Chief Petty Officer

PostSubject: Re: Game of the year 2010 predictions?   Game of the year 2010 predictions? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 6:35 pm

Any popular games that's going to sale AKA: Halo: Reach. That's game of the year for ya.
Back to top Go down
TRF
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
TRF

PostSubject: Re: Game of the year 2010 predictions?   Game of the year 2010 predictions? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 6:54 pm

ZeInFormer wrote:
Any popular games that's going to sale AKA: Halo: Reach. That's game of the year for ya.
One would think that was the case, but Resident Evil 4 won in 2005, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion won in 2006, Bioshock won in 2007, and Uncharted 2 won in 2009. All of the game sold well, but none were household names like Halo. Yeah, there's a good chance Halo: Reach will win, but when you consider the fact that Bioshock beat out Call of Duty 4 and Halo 3 in 2007, and Uncharted 2 beat out Modern Warfare 2, then Halo: Reach doesn't have a clear chance of winning (at least not for the reasons you gave; it could still end up being the best game this year regardless of popularity).
Back to top Go down
resistance354
Seaman
Seaman
resistance354

PostSubject: Re: Game of the year 2010 predictions?   Game of the year 2010 predictions? - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 1:17 pm

I personally think its between LBP2 and GT5 for the VGA's

I also think that ME2 will unamiously win the IGN GOTY everyone on that entire site loved ME2.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Game of the year 2010 predictions?   Game of the year 2010 predictions? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Game of the year 2010 predictions?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2