This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had?

Go down 
+9
arnt god of war
Japanophile
dreadraptor85
ghost23
Stoney
Master_Chief
gamerdude
jimmybox
DemonWolf
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DemonWolf
Four Star General (Moderator)
DemonWolf

Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had? Empty
PostSubject: Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had?   Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had? EmptyThu Dec 17, 2009 11:45 am

GT5 has been in development for ages now, and here's a comparison with the long-awaited Gran Turismo 5 versus Forza Motorsport 3:

http://www.cynamite.de/_misc/galleries/detail.cfm?pk=2695&fk=131122&opv=gal&page=1&order=&aid=0

I think they've designed the vehicles slightly better than Turn10 (particularly the lighting/shading in the interiors) but look at the tracks in comparison. They look a lot less detailed imo which is a shock considering GT5 has a lot less tracks.
I mean, look at the surface of the tracks/grass in comparison! It's shocking how bland gt5's looks against forza's really detailed tracks/surfaces/textures but the lighting looks slightly more realistic on the vehicles of gt5 imo.

Well, share your views, people.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
jimmybox

PostSubject: Re: Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had?   Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had? EmptyThu Dec 17, 2009 6:42 pm

Here's my opinion on PD.

If you look at the entire GT series from GT1 all the way to GT4, the improvements have been minor. Mostly more cars, tracks and higher level of graphics, nothing changed in the matter of gameplay. And in fact, GT's gameplay was never incredible in the first place. Again, because there was no one to challenge them.

But did anyone complain?
No, not really. And why is that? Simple, no competition. The GT series was on its own, nothing could touch it.

Then came a game called Forza. In PD minds, Forza was just another one of these games that would come and then fade in an instant. But that wasn't the case. Still, they had no respect for it and its quality.

Fast forward to GT5. Now, in PD's minds, it was obvious that with GT5P, it was going to be the same old story. Same game, just better graphics. And they hoped their fanbase would eat it up like they had been doing. Then E3 2009 happened, and PD finally got the chance to play Forza 3 first hand. Funny thing happened after that. The game's release date was mysteriously pushed back. They realized that they could no longer act like the lazy developers that they've always been. They realized that Forza 3 was a AAA game worthy of becoming the best in the genre. This is why they delayed their game. If you noticed, GTP5 would be the game they would have released (with more cars, tracks, options, of course), and if that was the case, Forza would have shit all over them.

So now, after seeing the success of Forza 3, the high review scores, they're taking the next 6 months to go back and try to fix things, make it at least on par with Forza3.
Do you think if it weren't for Forza, they would have added damage, roll over, suggested line, or even online features to GT5? Probably not. After 4 games why all of a sudden add such features? That's right, because of Forza.

In the end, GT5 will be a great game, no doubt about it. Well I play it? No, because by the time it finally ships, I would have invested over 100 hours in Forza and will be bored of racing games. They had their chance in 2009, but blew it.
Now for all those people saying GT5 will wipe the floor with Forza, keep this in mind. Forza 3 would be out for almost a year before GT5 launches in Europe and NA, that's with its nearly 6 year development cycle.
Forza 3 already has their high quality car models completed (look at the menu sections). They have the physics systems down flat. So in a couple years, we'll have Forza 4, and trust me, it'll wipe its ass with GT5.

Oh yeah, hope GT5 is a game that can last for 5-6 years. That's the next time they'll see another game in the series.
Back to top Go down
gamerdude
Seaman Apprentice
Seaman Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had?   Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had? EmptyThu Dec 17, 2009 6:50 pm

Well its just a 200mb demo so I dont really think they pushed the graphics in the demo just the physics
Back to top Go down
Master_Chief
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Master_Chief

PostSubject: Re: Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had?   Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had? EmptyThu Dec 17, 2009 6:52 pm

jimmybox wrote:
Here's my opinion on PD.

If you look at the entire GT series from GT1 all the way to GT4, the improvements have been minor. Mostly more cars, tracks and higher level of graphics, nothing changed in the matter of gameplay. And in fact, GT's gameplay was never incredible in the first place. Again, because there was no one to challenge them.

But did anyone complain?
No, not really. And why is that? Simple, no competition. The GT series was on its own, nothing could touch it.

Then came a game called Forza. In PD minds, Forza was just another one of these games that would come and then fade in an instant. But that wasn't the case. Still, they had no respect for it and its quality.

Fast forward to GT5. Now, in PD's minds, it was obvious that with GT5P, it was going to be the same old story. Same game, just better graphics. And they hoped their fanbase would eat it up like they had been doing. Then E3 2009 happened, and PD finally got the chance to play Forza 3 first hand. Funny thing happened after that. The game's release date was mysteriously pushed back. They realized that they could no longer act like the lazy developers that they've always been. They realized that Forza 3 was a AAA game worthy of becoming the best in the genre. This is why they delayed their game. If you noticed, GTP5 would be the game they would have released (with more cars, tracks, options, of course), and if that was the case, Forza would have shit all over them.

So now, after seeing the success of Forza 3, the high review scores, they're taking the next 6 months to go back and try to fix things, make it at least on par with Forza3.
Do you think if it weren't for Forza, they would have added damage, roll over, suggested line, or even online features to GT5? Probably not. After 4 games why all of a sudden add such features? That's right, because of Forza.

In the end, GT5 will be a great game, no doubt about it. Well I play it? No, because by the time it finally ships, I would have invested over 100 hours in Forza and will be bored of racing games. They had their chance in 2009, but blew it.
Now for all those people saying GT5 will wipe the floor with Forza, keep this in mind. Forza 3 would be out for almost a year before GT5 launches in Europe and NA, that's with its nearly 6 year development cycle.
Forza 3 already has their high quality car models completed (look at the menu sections). They have the physics systems down flat. So in a couple years, we'll have Forza 4, and trust me, it'll wipe its ass with GT5.

Oh yeah, hope GT5 is a game that can last for 5-6 years. That's the next time they'll see another game in the series.
QFT You took the words right out of my mouth. Well said.
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Stoney

PostSubject: Re: Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had?   Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had? EmptyThu Dec 17, 2009 9:24 pm

jimmybox wrote:
Here's my opinion on PD.

But did anyone complain?

I like you! afro
Back to top Go down
ghost23

PostSubject: Re: Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had?   Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had? EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 7:51 am

congrats jimmybox.

im not gonna quote u cause its gonna take up too much space, but very well said. It is the complete truth at PD cant hide from it.
Back to top Go down
dreadraptor85
Force Master Chief Petty Officer
dreadraptor85

PostSubject: Re: Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had?   Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had? EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 8:23 am

@ Jimmybox

The Japanese are notorious for replicating other people's work and recycling it as their own. Epic games made Gears, so Tecmo makes Quantum. Turn 10 has damage, PD adds damage mysteriously after Forza 3 release.

Even the Japanese auto manufactures do that. They'll take a European car, dissect it, then make their own version of that car. (Lexus to BMW)
Back to top Go down
dreadraptor85
dreadraptor85

PostSubject: Re: Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had?   Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had? EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 8:24 am

Mature discussion without rabid Sony and Microsoft fans arguing for the win!

cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Japanophile
Seaman Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had?   Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had? EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 10:27 am

dreadraptor85 wrote:
@ Jimmybox

The Japanese are notorious for replicating other people's work and recycling it as their own. Epic games made Gears, so Tecmo makes Quantum. Turn 10 has damage, PD adds damage mysteriously after Forza 3 release.

Even the Japanese auto manufactures do that. They'll take a European car, dissect it, then make their own version of that car. (Lexus to BMW)

Wow -- Really?

I hope you're kidding. Japan is the leading country in technology in the world, lol. Are you really trying to say that the Japanese are notorious for replication? That's absolutely ignorant. More countries replicate what Japan is trying to do more so than the other way around.

As for this thread, it's pretty inaccurate. The Gran Turismo 5 demo that was released yesterday on the PSN is an older build of the game (pre-damage). That means that it isn't a finalized product nor is it even remotely close to the state of where the game currently is in development. To judge the demo against a finalized product like Forza 3 is nothing shy of foolish in general.

Also -- @Jimmy -- Gran Turismo 5 will outsell Forza 1-3 combined upon release. That's not my opinion either, it's fact. Gran Turismo sells at the same level as Super Mario and Halo. If you think Polyphony Digital is concerned, you're kidding yourself. They're going to make a shit load of money on GT5.
Back to top Go down
arnt god of war
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
arnt god of war

PostSubject: Re: Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had?   Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had? EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 10:53 am

Japanophile wrote:
dreadraptor85 wrote:
@ Jimmybox

Wow -- Really?

I hope you're kidding. Japan is the leading country in technology in the world, lol. Are you really trying to say that the Japanese are notorious for replication? That's absolutely ignorant. More countries replicate what Japan is trying to do more so than the other way around.

As for this thread, it's pretty inaccurate. The Gran Turismo 5 demo that was released yesterday on the PSN is an older build of the game (pre-damage). That means that it isn't a finalized product nor is it even remotely close to the state of where the game currently is in development. To judge the demo against a finalized product like Forza 3 is nothing shy of foolish in general.

Also -- @Jimmy -- Gran Turismo 5 will outsell Forza 1-3 combined upon release. That's not my opinion either, it's fact. Gran Turismo sells at the same level as Super Mario and Halo. If you think Polyphony Digital is concerned, you're kidding yourself. They're going to make a shit load of money on GT5.
that was 6 years ago so.... theirs no way to tell now adays people are into shooters a lot more and ALOT of ps3 are used as pure blu ray/ movie players also games on ps3 havent sold as much as game did on the ps2 so this comment is kinda stupid also are they gonna make a lot of money on this? well let see they gotta pay for the long development commercials if they pop up the stores take a cut and production costs so will they make a profit Question if you ask me:......no i think itll be just like the ps3 one big flop
Back to top Go down
Arbiteris
Arbiteris

PostSubject: Re: Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had?   Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had? EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 10:58 am

Japanophile wrote:
dreadraptor85 wrote:
@ Jimmybox

Wow -- Really?

Why are all your posts sticking up for the ps3?If your not here to root for the home team,then why are you here?
Back to top Go down
Japanophile
Seaman Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had?   Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had? EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 11:03 am

arntson wrote:
that was 6 years ago so.... theirs no way to tell now adays people are into shooters a lot more and ALOT of ps3 are used as pure blu ray/ movie players also games on ps3 havent sold as much as game did on the ps2 so this comment is kinda stupid also are they gonna make a lot of money on this? well let see they gotta pay for the long development commercials if they pop up the stores take a cut and production costs so will they make a profit Question if you ask me:......no i think itll be just like the ps3 one big flop

You're joking right? The development budget -- even at $100 Million -- would only need 1.5 Million copies sold in order to break even.

Final Fantasy XIII has sold over 1 Million copies on day one in Japan alone.

You actually believe Gran Turismo 5 won't sell over 1 Million copies on day one alone, let alone 1.5 million copies across the world on its release?

Japan loves Gran Turismo 5 and it will sell nearly, if not more than, one million copies in that region alone. It doesn't matter if it's been 6 years or not.

Forza 3 has sold less than 2 million copies in just under two months. The racing sim genre is a HUGE market in the world and the sales of Forza 3 indicate that A LOT of people ARE waiting for Gran Turismo 5 to throw their money at.
Back to top Go down
Japanophile
Seaman Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had?   Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had? EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 11:04 am

Arbiteris wrote:
Japanophile wrote:
dreadraptor85 wrote:
@ Jimmybox

Wow -- Really?

Why are all your posts sticking up for the ps3?If your not here to root for the home team,then why are you here?

Rooting for the Home team doesn't mean just blindly posting illogically.

GeneralMLD will vouch for me... Him and I have talked on XBL in the past.
Back to top Go down
Arbiteris
Arbiteris

PostSubject: Re: Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had?   Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had? EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 11:05 am

Japanophile wrote:
arntson wrote:

You're joking right? The development budget -- even at $100 Million -- would only need 1.5 Million copies sold in order to break even.

You actually believe Gran Turismo 5 won't sell over 1 Million copies on day one alone, let alone 1.5 million copies across the world on its release?

Japan loves Gran Turismo 5 and it will sell nearly, if not more than, one million copies in that region alone. It doesn't matter if it's been 6 years or not.

Forza 3 has sold less than 2 million copies in just under two months. The racing sim genre is a HUGE market in the world and the sales of Forza 3 indicate that A LOT of people ARE waiting for Gran Turismo 5 to throw their money at.

It might not.racing sims tend not to sell very fast.they sell good overtime but not fast like shooters.LOL,i think everyone hs thrown all there money at the 6 GT5 demo's.

Ill be having fun playing Forza 4 when GT5 is released lol
Back to top Go down
Arbiteris
Arbiteris

PostSubject: Re: Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had?   Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had? EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 11:09 am

Japanophile wrote:
Arbiteris wrote:
Japanophile wrote:
dreadraptor85 wrote:
@ Jimmybox

Wow -- Really?

Rooting for the Home team doesn't mean just blindly posting illogically.

GeneralMLD will vouch for me... Him and I have talked on XBL in the past.

Ya,but it means you should be disagreeing on every article.Expecially sticking up for the ps3 side.If you havnt noticed,this is an XBOX 360 FORUM.What you are doing causes fight which WE mods have to stop.

If all you are going to do is disagree and stick up for ps3,then this forum isnt good for you.

Last edited by Arbiteris on Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Blixtstorm
Blixtstorm

PostSubject: Re: Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had?   Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had? EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 11:10 am

@ Japanophile...

The GTPlanet states that the maker of GT has quoted that the graphics engine will not been improved much by the release of the game, only polished for higher frame rate.

Also stated by the maker of GT said that he could release it today, but they wont.

Forza 2 sold one of the most of the 360, its over 5,5m units sold. To compare that to the "flop" in GT perspective the GT4 only sold 5m units worldwide. And GT5P only a 3,5m units. The GT franchise is on a downhill slope and have been since the launch of Forza 1. This is a fact.

I have no doubt that it will be the best seller on the PS3 by a long time, but to take something in consideration: Forza 3 almost outsold GT3 the first month in sales, and thats the fastest selling racing game ever.

Forza 1: 900k units
Forza 2: 5.5m units
Forza 3: 2,5m units

GT5= > 9m units?
I dont think so, not in any chance they will get there as fast, the best selling GT game (GT3)
have sold to this date 14m units. And almost everyone had a PS2 as a gaming system, while only ~40% use the PS3 as their "gaming" system. Compared to a "blues-ray player".
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Blixtstorm
Japanophile
Seaman Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had?   Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had? EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 11:13 am

Arbiteris wrote:
It might not.racing sims tend not to sell very fast.they sell good overtime but not fast like shooters.LOL,i think everyone hs thrown all there money at the 6 GT5 demo's.

Ill be having fun playing Forza 4 when GT5 is released lol

That's not true at all. Regardless of the genre, most games sell the majority of its units within the first 2-3 months of release.

The differences between Forza 2 to Forza 4 are going to be minimal and marginal at best. So that really isn't relevant. It's always easier to release more games after your initial generation engine is developed. It costs less and takes less development time once your engine is already established and only goes through the tweaking of better performance enhancements figured out through prolonged development throughout the generation.
Back to top Go down
Arbiteris
Arbiteris

PostSubject: Re: Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had?   Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had? EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 11:15 am

Blixtstorm wrote:
@ Japanophile...

The GTPlanet states that the maker of GT has quoted that the graphics engine will not been improved much by the release of the game, only polished for higher frame rate.

Also stated by the maker of GT said that he could release it today, but they wont.

Forza 2 sold one of the most of the 360, its over 5,5m units sold. To compare that to the "flop" in GT perspective the GT4 only sold 5m units worldwide. And GT5P only a 3,5m units. The GT franchise is on a downhill slope and have been since the launch of Forza 1. This is a fact.

I have no doubt that it will be the best seller on the PS3 by a long time, but to take something in consideration: Forza 3 almost outsold GT3 the first month in sales, and thats the fastest selling racing game ever.

GT5= > 9m units?
I dont think so, not in any chance they will get there as fast, the best selling GT game (GT3)
have sold to this date 14m units. And almost everyone had a PS2 as a gaming system, while only ~40% use the PS3 as their "gaming" system. Compared to a "blues-ray player".

You are right.PS2 was a heck alot more popular and seeing as ps3 is the "least"successful console this gen,GT5 wont sell as much
Back to top Go down
Blixtstorm
Blixtstorm

PostSubject: Re: Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had?   Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had? EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 11:18 am

dreadraptor85 wrote:
@ Jimmybox

Im pretty sure your wrong here about the Japanese.... Since most European cars are base around the Japanese cars. The quality of cars in the 60-70 Europe was horrible, until the "invasion" of Japanese cheap high quality cars.

The Lexus is based on a Cadillac idea, to ride smooth and comfortable everyday, they just made it better and added alot of gadgets to it. To this date, Lexus has won the most "car of the year" awards. If any would copy they would copy Toyota/Lexus, since they are currently doing so.

Another "car-nation" that is known for copying cars is China, but they copy the most stuff...

To make clear, the Forza franchise wouldnt exist if GT havent been recognized by Dan Greenawalt, and inspired him to make a even better racing simulator.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Blixtstorm
Japanophile
Seaman Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had?   Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had? EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 11:19 am

Blixtstorm wrote:
@ Japanophile...

GT5= > 9m units?

The graphics engine has nothing to do with the overlaying effects that a game creates to bring out the atmosphere and environment around it. The graphics engine doesn't need to change, they just need to finalize and layover the effects on the end product. Those are two totally different development factors.

Where are you getting these figures?

Forza 2 has barely sold 4 Million let alone 5.5. Forza 3 hasn't even hit 2 Million yet.

GT3 Sold 15 MILLION copies, not 14.
GT4 sold 11 MILLION copies, not 5.
GT5 Prologue (A glorified DEMO) sold 4 Million Copies (A demo).

Your figures are WAY off and completely inaccurate.
Back to top Go down
arnt god of war
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
arnt god of war

PostSubject: Re: Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had?   Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had? EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 11:26 am

Japanophile wrote:
arntson wrote:

what are you on crack the sim genre is not huge anyways yes it will sell well in japan in america not so much i think same with europe the sales of forza indicate the decline in the sim game market now lets get back at hand
they have to pay for:
6 year development
advertisements
stores
pruduction
sony
now how much that costs i dont know but seems awfully exspensive
Back to top Go down
arnt god of war
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
arnt god of war

PostSubject: Re: Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had?   Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had? EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 11:32 am

Japanophile wrote:
Blixtstorm wrote:
@ Japanophile...

GT5= > 9m units?

The graphics engine has nothing to do with the overlaying effects that a game creates to bring out the atmosphere and environment around it. The graphics engine doesn't need to change, they just need to finalize and layover the effects on the end product. Those are two totally different development factors.

Where are you getting these figures?

Forza 2 has barely sold 4 Million let alone 5.5. Forza 3 hasn't even hit 2 Million yet.

GT3 Sold 15 MILLION copies, not 14.
GT4 sold 11 MILLION copies, not 5.
GT5 Prologue (A glorified DEMO) sold 4 Million Copies (A demo).

Your figures are WAY off and completely inaccurate.
i think you both need to source up
Back to top Go down
Arbiteris
Arbiteris

PostSubject: Re: Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had?   Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had? EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 11:41 am

Finnaly someone shutted that guy up.He was getting annoying.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Project Natal
Mr. Project Natal

PostSubject: Re: Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had?   Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had? EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 12:07 pm

I played the forza 3 demo and have not seen the gt5 graphics in person but I think forza is possibly =... but like I said, I have not seen them on a TV in real life together so I can't say....
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Natal360VsPS3Wands
Master_Chief
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Master_Chief

PostSubject: Re: Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had?   Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had? EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 7:38 pm

Project Natal Informer wrote:
I played the forza 3 demo and have not seen the gt5 graphics in person but I think forza is possibly =... but like I said, I have not seen them on a TV in real life together so I can't say....
I have. I have both systems and Forza 3 looks better especially the environments. And the driving physics are much better on Forza 3. The GT5 cars dont look nearly as good ingame as they do in the touched up replay mode.

Last edited by Master_Chief on Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had?   Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had? Empty

Back to top Go down

Has Polyphony taken advantage of the time they've had?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next