This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic

Go down 
+8
GeneralMLD
Ozsem
Noelol
Alchemist
Pickles
343_Guilty_Spark
Stigma
7th
12 posters
AuthorMessage
7th
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class

A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic Empty
PostSubject: A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic   A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic EmptyTue May 18, 2010 5:19 pm

Here is 1Up's review for 3D Dot Game Heroes:

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3178910&p=37

They gave it a B-, which equates numerically to an 80-90 grade scale, so a B minus would be an 80.

Now look what Metacritic says 1UP gave the game:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/3ddotgameheroes?q=3D%20dot%20Game%20Heroes

a 67, IE an F.

Gamecritics.com assigns it no letter OR number grade but merely offers an editorial critique, and Metacritic just decides that equals a 75.

Yeah I throw Metacritic back in MLD's face from time to time, mainly because he seems to take its word as gospel. But I've said it time and time again, these weighted average sites are flawed in design because not only do they not always accurately convey the findings of the reviews in question (such as 1Up's review) but the review is often skewed by numerous "never head of em" sites, since they add so many on that the idea of "weighted averages guaged by website popularity" fails to work.

I have seen games where every major website gave it a 90 or better, but because 6 or 7 sites that I'd never seen prior to viewing the Metacritic page in question gave it 60s or worse, the score goes down to an 80. It's a joke, on BOTH sides of the console war.
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Four Star General (Moderator)
Stigma

PostSubject: Re: A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic   A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic EmptyTue May 18, 2010 5:25 pm

I would guess that it's because of this.
0, 1, 2, 3, 4
0 = F, 1 = D, 2 = C, 3 = B, 4 = A
A 3 is a 75 on a 0-100 scale. 2 is a 50

Midway between a C+ and a B- would be 66.5, thus 67.

I'm not sure if that's fair but it makes sense.

But think about it, an F is a 59 and below. So they can't have a B as an 80-89. Thus they use the 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 scale.

Last edited by BlackStigma on Tue May 18, 2010 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
7th
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class

PostSubject: Re: A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic   A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic EmptyTue May 18, 2010 5:26 pm

Which is exactly why I don't think anyone should even bother with using this as any ownage attempt on 360 fans:

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/ps3-outshining-xbox-360-in-exclusives-category-shows-metacritic-data/1/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic   A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic EmptyTue May 18, 2010 5:29 pm

I never trust reviewers, just my own opinion.
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Stigma

PostSubject: Re: A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic   A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic EmptyTue May 18, 2010 5:33 pm

7th wrote:
Which is exactly why I don't think anyone should even bother with using this as any ownage attempt on 360 fans:

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/ps3-outshining-xbox-360-in-exclusives-category-shows-metacritic-data/1/

I don't really know, it only looks messed up because reviews are converted to a 100 scale. So when a reviewer like the Escapist (who rates out of 5) gives a game a 3/5 they mean it's average. But then converted it is a 60 which means mediocre. However you can't just ignore Metacritic, in fact when on Steam you can look for games based on their Metacritic score.

People should pick a game by trusting the reviews of 3 or 4 different reviewers instead of on Metacritic. But in a debate Metacritic is feasible.
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Stigma

PostSubject: Re: A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic   A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic EmptyTue May 18, 2010 5:35 pm

Ezekiel 703 wrote:

But how are you going to know if it's a good idea to purchase a 60 dollar game if you haven't played it yet? If a game is getting like a 5/10 would you actually buy it full priced? That's what reviews are for. But a better idea is too read the review and ignore the score. Then see if it is a game you will enjoy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic   A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic EmptyTue May 18, 2010 5:53 pm

BlackStigma wrote:
Ezekiel 703 wrote:

But how are you going to know if it's a good idea to purchase a 60 dollar game if you haven't played it yet? If a game is getting like a 5/10 would you actually buy it full priced? That's what reviews are for. But a better idea is too read the review and ignore the score. Then see if it is a game you will enjoy.

I do my research, other personal opinion, features of the game and whether or not is is appealing, since a reviewer can take a good game feature and if he/she does not like it, then he will downplay something good for his opinion.
Back to top Go down
343_Guilty_Spark
343_Guilty_Spark

PostSubject: Re: A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic   A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic EmptyTue May 18, 2010 6:04 pm

Didn't you know? It's a vast conspiracy. MS and Nintendo have every website, including Metacritic, in their pocket. Only PS3 fanboys aren't part of the conspiracy. It's not even for profit, it's just to piss off PS3 fanboys so we can all laugh when they make petitions of failure.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bungie.net
Pickles
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Pickles

PostSubject: Re: A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic   A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic EmptyTue May 18, 2010 6:48 pm

BlackStigma wrote:
I would guess that it's because of this.
0, 1, 2, 3, 4
0 = F, 1 = D, 2 = C, 3 = B, 4 = A
A 3 is a 75 on a 0-100 scale. 2 is a 50

Midway between a C+ and a B- would be 66.5, thus 67.

I'm not sure if that's fair but it makes sense.

But think about it, an F is a 59 and below. So they can't have a B as an 80-89. Thus they use the 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 scale.
I think it makes sense. However, I sent a message to them about this B- equals a 67 thing. Not like they'll probably or anything but I'd like to hear why they do this exactly.
Back to top Go down
Alchemist
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Alchemist

PostSubject: Re: A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic   A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic EmptyTue May 18, 2010 6:57 pm

PS3 fan complaining about metacritic
This never happens my god!
Back to top Go down
Noelol
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Noelol

PostSubject: Re: A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic   A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic EmptyTue May 18, 2010 7:22 pm

Ezekiel 703 wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:
Ezekiel 703 wrote:

I do my research, other personal opinion, features of the game and whether or not is is appealing, since a reviewer can take a good game feature and if he/she does not like it, then he will downplay something good for his opinion.
Or search reviews that are not like IGN or Metacritic. For example, IGN gave Raiden IV a 60% but people like CGR and Videogamecentral gave it higher (CGR doesn't give out scores). Here is the review by Videogamecentral:

Back to top Go down
Ozsem
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostSubject: Re: A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic   A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic EmptyWed May 19, 2010 11:47 am

7th wrote:

I read this And there's loads of flaws in that article. He missed out a load of exclusives that 360 and ps3 had. Also when has Sega been an ps3 exclusive publisher? Also 3d dot game hero isn't over 80. Anthony Neal epic fail.
Back to top Go down
GeneralMLD
Five Star General (Admin)
GeneralMLD

PostSubject: Re: A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic   A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic EmptyWed May 19, 2010 12:26 pm

7th...........I agree metacritic isnt perfect, and neither is sites like vgchartz.

But they are the best we got. There is no better alternative..........and no, using single review sites arent more credible.

For better or for worse, dozens of reviews (with the more important sites having more weight) averaged out are the best way to determine a games critical acclaim.

Again, there is no better solution.

3D Dot heroes is "A". Perfect Dark got "A" when I hoped mit would get "AA". Just gotta deal with it.
Back to top Go down
https://xboxrepublic.forumotion.com
GeneralMLD
GeneralMLD

PostSubject: Re: A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic   A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic EmptyWed May 19, 2010 12:27 pm

Ozsem wrote:
7th wrote:

I read this And there's loads of flaws in that article. He missed out a load of exclusives that 360 and ps3 had. Also when has Sega been an ps3 exclusive publisher? Also 3d dot game hero isn't over 80. Anthony Neal epic fail.

Not to mention the article neglects 360 multiplats NOT on PS3...........some of 360s best games are multiplat.....not on PS3.
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic   A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic EmptyWed May 19, 2010 1:01 pm

No one 100% trusts metacritic. Hell, who here lets a review judge whether they should get a game or not? I trust no one does.
It's just that in the console war, Metacritic is the closest thing to proof that we have better games. Is it a fact? No but is the console war real? No.
It's all for fun, all for reactions and entertainment. Metacritic is like 360 fanboys' best card. Blu Ray is like ps3 fanboy's best card.

Is Metacritic 100% accurate? No but it's the most accurate and reliable ratings site and it's worthy of mention when confronted by a ps3 fanboy.

Let's face it, a whiney kid on youtube is less reliable than all critic's review scores bundled into one.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
Alan1994
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Alan1994

PostSubject: Re: A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic   A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic EmptyFri May 21, 2010 7:32 pm

7th wrote:

Lol, that article is controversal as it is. Not only because of Metacritic flaws, but by the number of exclusives on the 360 he didn't count. Including alot of the 360/PC only exclusives. The only thing I agree with in that article is the fact that Sony has more 1st party developers than Microsoft. But who cares, more 3rd party support is potentially more of a good thing in the gaming industry.

And on a side note, there were alot of 360 exclusives such as L4D1, L4D2, Fable 2, etc...that recieved an 89 metacritic score, which is extremely close to AAA but is counted as AA. On Game Rankings they had a 90-91%....Something is obviously wrong here.
Back to top Go down
Pickles
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Pickles

PostSubject: Re: A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic   A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic EmptySat May 22, 2010 1:57 am

I emailed metacritic like I said I would.
Here's my question.
"1up gave 3d dot game heroes a B-. That should be like an 80-81. Instead, you guys gave it a 67. A D grade is a 67. NOT B- WTF Please reply"

Here's their response:
"That would be true if you graded on a 42 point scale like they do in school, with an F equating to 58. When you convert it to the 100 point scale, with F equating to Zero, it's 67."
Back to top Go down
Jamin
Command Master Chief Petty Officer
Command Master Chief Petty Officer
Jamin

PostSubject: Re: A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic   A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic EmptyTue May 25, 2010 3:57 pm

GeneralMLD wrote:

Not to mention the article neglects 360 multiplats NOT on PS3...........some of 360s best games are multiplat.....not on PS3.
Did you read the article, MLD?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic   A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic EmptyTue May 25, 2010 4:08 pm

I dont trust review scores they are stupid. But I do like reading reviews seeing what they thought of the game though
Back to top Go down
GeneralMLD
GeneralMLD

PostSubject: Re: A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic   A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic EmptyWed May 26, 2010 10:28 am

Jamin wrote:
GeneralMLD wrote:

Did you read the article, MLD?

oops Razz
Back to top Go down
arnt god of war
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
arnt god of war

PostSubject: Re: A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic   A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic EmptyWed May 26, 2010 3:22 pm

that artical from what ive read is all about theories
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic   A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic Empty

Back to top Go down

A Perfect Example of Why I don't Trust Metracritic
Page 1 of 1