This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer)

Go down 
+15
Stoney
Noelol
Lt Xplosi
joe11
Pein
Captain Emp
kadelmon
Master_Chief
Stigma
game0reviews
Arbiteris
arnt god of war
II XShogunX II
Blixtstorm
DemonWolf
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
DemonWolf
Four Star General (Moderator)
DemonWolf

NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer) Empty
PostSubject: NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer)   NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer) EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 9:00 am

Elder Scrolls Oblivion

Gameplay:
In the game you pretty much have freedom to do anything. You can talk to npc's, you can explore the vast world, enter houses & shops, buy stuff, discover new locations, kill stuff or whatever you feel like.
You can play the game in first or third person mode.
There are almost endless possibilities in gameplay. The campaign is just the tip of the iceberg. There's so much else to do and it can be done the way you want to do it.
In fact, the great thing about the game is just how enormous it is. There's so much crammed into the one disk that it's mindblowing.
It wasn't till about 10 hours into the game when I first noticed you can use the L bumper to drag objects around (which is great fun thanks to the impressive physics), It wasn't till about 15 hours into the game till I noticed how every single inhabitant of the game's world has their own daily routine, it wasn't till about 20 hours into the game when I had gone up my first mountain and encountered snowy weather (and noticed how all the trees up there had snow on them). It wasn't until about 25 hours into the game when I noticed that the "Black Horse Courier" newspaper's news depends on your actions and I only discovered new creatures to defeat about 30 hours into the game after I had completed the main quest.
The game truly is a masterpiece in terms of gameplay.
There is only one small issue here. While the game's nearly perfect on first person, the third person view is a little flawed. You see, the game was designed with first person view in mind, third person was just an after thought and so the animations are a little awkward and unrealistic. Eg: when you jump, it looks like there are only 2 frames animating the transition.
So, GAMEPLAY overall score:

Sound:
What is impressive is the amount of sound effects in the game, how funny, albeit cheezy the voice acting is how many sound effects there are, and how good the soundtrack is.
The orchestral music is top notch. It really compliments everything that's going on visually. You'll not be disappointed with the music Jeremy Soule composed it truly is a work of art.
The sound effects, as I said, there are loads and they work well. There are loads of different sounds for almost everything but with minor problems; sometimes the clangs you hear when swiping your weapon at different surfaces, doesn't always sound right.
Also, when playing around with the objects using the grab button, when dropping them, there's an absence of realistic sounds, leaving you thinking they weigh nothing.
Other than that, though, I can't complain. The sound effects are pretty damn good for the most part.
And what I think is really great in terms of sound for this game is the dialogue. The voice acting's pretty good except sometimes the people sound a little dumb but you'll be laughing instead of criticising.
Also a lot of people say the same things, just in a slightly different tone but it's not a problem because throughout the game they all respond to your actions in the main quests and so the amount of dialogue you hear throughout the game is really amazing. And what's a highlight about the dialogue is when you see two NPC's having a conversation. You can hear the short lines they say to each other and for the most part it makes sense and sounds like a realistic conversation.
Just a couple of times it can sound rather stupid, like a guy said to one woman "have you heard about the death of ------" and she responded "so I've heard, etc"
Which makes no sense, really. Naturally, you'd respond "yes" or "no". But it's no big deal.
Overall, the game is auditorially fantastic.

SOUND SCORE: 9.4/10

Graphics:
This is the hard part. Do I cut the game some slack because it's kind of old or do I criticise it for not aging that well.
In actual fact, even today the standard of graphics in Oblivion are pretty damn good. Especially considering the game's world is absolutely enormous and doesn't look very repetitive.
At the same time, the visuals are not the best.
A lot of the textures are a little muddy to be honest, and the landscape in the background looks rather bare because the game properly loads it only when you get nearer.
But to be perfectly honest, my jaw hit the floor the first time I played the game. I couldn't believe that a game this large can still maintain graphics at least at the standard of the average 360 title. And actually you have more to compliment than scrutinise in terms of graphics for this game. Well, I'm going to give it 2 scores to be fair:

Graphics Score In Terms Of a Next-Gen Game: 7.6/10
Graphics Score In Terms Of A Next-Gen Game With An Enormous World: 9.2/10

Story:
Well, I honestly didn't pay a lot of attention to the story but it's quite intriguing. The emperor dies and these gates to Oblivion (a bit like Hell) have been opened and it's your job to protect the next emperor guy and to close these gates and kill the evil guy behind it all.
That's about as much as I took in really. It's also got stuff about Dragonfires and stuff which I didn't really get (During the dialogue I was just staring, gobsmacked at my wonderful 50 gamerscore achievement I got from completing a quest). But it's not really a lot to take in, you'll probably get it if you pay attention during the conversations.
I felt the main questline was of a good length (I only completed it about 30 hours in...though I spent a lot of time exploring and I did a couple of side-quests) but the ending felt too abrupt. Luckily you can free roam at the end of the game and do some cool side-quests and whatever else.
Overall I think the story's pretty good and some of the events were really exciting (eg: the gates that open at Bruma was so cool because all the inhabitants of the city were cheering when you leave with the army to fight off the creatures & close the gates).
Sorry I've not explained it that well but yeah, you'll understand it if you get the game lol.

Story Score: 8/10
Story Score including all side-quest storylines: 9.8/10

Replay Value:

Biggest game I've ever played in my life.

10/10!!

OVERALL SCORE...

(not an average)

I think the game deserves 9.7 out of 10!
There are several ways it could be improved but really, it's a masterpiece and the only game I think can beat it is The Elder Scrolls 5!!

Last edited by demondragondude on Thu May 06, 2010 1:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
Blixtstorm
Blixtstorm

PostSubject: Re: NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer)   NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer) EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 1:25 pm

I love this game!!

It just some form of multiplayer that is missing in the game that would make it better, since you spend most of your time alone wandering in the countryside or in a cave with your last torch Razz
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Blixtstorm
II XShogunX II
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class
II XShogunX II

PostSubject: Re: NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer)   NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer) EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 7:20 am

Oblivion Ps3 Review:

2/10

Graphics: 2/10 since the Ps3 is unable to render properly and textures look like shit.

Sound: 3/10 since the sound keeps cutting out completely for some reason at random intervals.

Replay Value: 1/10 since my shitty Blu-ray disc take 50 minutes to load when I go inside a building.

Cost: GET IT FOR 360
Back to top Go down
arnt god of war
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
arnt god of war

PostSubject: Re: NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer)   NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer) EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 4:05 pm

gameplay 10
fraphics 10
sound 10
replay 10
cost 25$
overall 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000/1
Back to top Go down
arnt god of war
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
arnt god of war

PostSubject: Re: NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer)   NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer) EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 3:50 pm

II XShogunX II wrote:
Oblivion Ps3 Review:

2/10

Graphics: 2/10 since the Ps3 is unable to render properly and textures look like shit.

Sound: 3/10 since the sound keeps cutting out completely for some reason at random intervals.

Replay Value: 1/10 since my shitty Blu-ray disc take 50 minutes to load when I go inside a building.

actually the pc version is best for this because of mods
Back to top Go down
Blixtstorm
Blixtstorm

PostSubject: Re: NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer)   NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer) EmptySun Sep 27, 2009 5:36 pm

arntson wrote:
II XShogunX II wrote:
Oblivion Ps3 Review:

2/10

I would agree aswell since the grafics can be better and modable, thats a thing i would like to have in some games....
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Blixtstorm
Arbiteris
Arbiteris

PostSubject: Re: NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer)   NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer) EmptySun Sep 27, 2009 6:41 pm

What do you do in oblivion?is it just like fable?
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer)   NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer) EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 4:05 pm

Arbiteris wrote:
What do you do in oblivion?is it just like fable?

Yeah its like Fable but more sort of realistic, has less interesting combat but seeing as it's first person (tho third person too) you can interact with things a lot better such as you can pick up objects and just do what you want with them lol.
You can pick up things like bodies and stuff and the ragdoll physics make it so fun lol

Plus the open ended world is huge, it's beatiful and theres just so much going on; people getting on with their lives and so on. Razz
Also, the choices you make will have an influence on what happens throughout the game.
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer)   NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer) EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 4:06 pm

btw u kill a person, u wont see him again.
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer)   NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer) EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 4:06 pm

and u can steal his house lol
Back to top Go down
game0reviews
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class
game0reviews

PostSubject: Re: NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer)   NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer) EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 7:30 pm

hey pspvampire are you a brit as well. thought i was one of the only brits on the threads lol.
Great review though i am getting Oblivion and bioshock combo game!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/game0reviews
Stigma
Stigma

PostSubject: Re: NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer)   NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer) EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 7:49 pm

Dude i loved Oblivion, spent well over 100 hours in that game, I hate the loading times though, they're aren't that bad but still slow. I'D HATE TO SEE THE PS3 VERSION LOL!
Back to top Go down
Master_Chief
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Master_Chief

PostSubject: Re: NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer)   NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer) EmptyThu Dec 17, 2009 6:58 am

Awesome game. I still play it sometimes.
Back to top Go down
Arbiteris
Arbiteris

PostSubject: Re: NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer)   NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer) EmptyThu Dec 17, 2009 11:07 am

I LOVE THIS GAME.i was recently playing it,but stoppped because i just got Syarwars:Knights of the old Republic
Back to top Go down
kadelmon
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class
kadelmon

PostSubject: Re: NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer)   NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer) EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 8:45 pm

Blixtstorm wrote:
arntson wrote:
II XShogunX II wrote:
Oblivion Ps3 Review:

2/10

I would agree aswell since the grafics can be better and modable, thats a thing i would like to have in some games....

i also heard that you can verse other people in the arena on the pc version
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/kadelmon
Arbiteris
Arbiteris

PostSubject: Re: NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer)   NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer) EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 9:15 pm

demondragondude wrote:
Gameplay: Vast open environment to explore. Fantastic interaction with the world, lots of npc's, rather fun levelling up and combat. Could be a bit more tighter in third person view though. 9/10

Graphics: They are great, even up close but there are a few minor glitches and the draw distance makes some areas look rather bland. 8.5/10

Sound: The soundtrack is really epic, exciting and well fitting. The sound effects are great, the voice acting is superb but some effects can get a little repetitive. 9/10

Replay value: The main game isn't particularly long but the many side quests, the large world and the character customisation (and levelling up) will keep you coming back for more. 9/10

Cost: You can get it for around a tenner now (approx: $15) and that is definately worth it. Even if you end up paying double that, you most likely will not be disappointed with this gem of a game!

OVERALL (not an average): 9.2/10

This game should have gotten a 10/10!!!!Lol
Back to top Go down
Captain Emp
Fleet Master Chief Petty Officer
Fleet Master Chief Petty Officer
Captain Emp

PostSubject: Re: NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer)   NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer) EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 3:11 pm

Arbiteris wrote:
demondragondude wrote:
Gameplay: Vast open environment to explore. Fantastic interaction with the world, lots of npc's, rather fun levelling up and combat. Could be a bit more tighter in third person view though. 9/10

Graphics: They are great, even up close but there are a few minor glitches and the draw distance makes some areas look rather bland. 8.5/10

Sound: The soundtrack is really epic, exciting and well fitting. The sound effects are great, the voice acting is superb but some effects can get a little repetitive. 9/10

Replay value: The main game isn't particularly long but the many side quests, the large world and the character customisation (and levelling up) will keep you coming back for more. 9/10

Cost: You can get it for around a tenner now (approx: $15) and that is definately worth it. Even if you end up paying double that, you most likely will not be disappointed with this gem of a game!

This game should have got 11/10

it is awesome: i know, i have played it.

Customization options are endless: i had an imperial knight , whom i managed to make Guildmaster of the Fighters guild and archmage of the mages guild (despite the fact all my magicka skills (restoration,mysticism, illusion etc.) were all about 10)
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer)   NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer) EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 6:16 pm

Arbiteris wrote:
demondragondude wrote:

Hehe I dunno though because TES 5 may have better graphics and tighter gameplay Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Pein
Pein

PostSubject: Re: NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer)   NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer) EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 6:24 pm

awesome review man,i have to admit,you make better reviews than me
Back to top Go down
joe11
Ensign
Ensign
joe11

PostSubject: Re: NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer)   NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer) EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 7:23 pm

nice review
Back to top Go down
Lt Xplosi
Lt Xplosi

PostSubject: Re: NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer)   NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer) EmptySun Feb 14, 2010 9:16 am

awsome rewiev but IMO the one for pc gets 10 of 10 since it is easily moddable
Back to top Go down
Noelol
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Noelol

PostSubject: Re: NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer)   NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer) EmptySun Feb 14, 2010 10:11 am

I'll say like...9.6/10
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer)   NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer) EmptySun May 02, 2010 7:10 am

AndrejTheReviewer wrote:
awesome review man,i have to admit,you make better reviews than me

What?! no way man! This was a simplistic review I threw together in a minute.
Your reviews go into loads of depth. You've got amazing reviews!
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer)   NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer) EmptySun May 02, 2010 7:11 am

Lt Xplosi wrote:

That's true. I love the gore mod for the adoring fan XD
Back to top Go down
Lt Xplosi
Lt Xplosi

PostSubject: Re: NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer)   NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer) EmptySun May 02, 2010 10:29 am

demondragondude wrote:
Lt Xplosi wrote:

That's true. I love the gore mod for the adoring fan XD
download basic instinct
it is a dirty mod Razz
but throw that spell at umbra
she walks to the bed and....
yeah

it is fun as hell because she isnt that hard wuithout armor
when she is....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer)   NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer) Empty

Back to top Go down

NEW OBLIVION REVIEW (longer)
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next