This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument?

Go down 
+27
Kendo
CrimsonNeckedPatriot
Jamin
arnt god of war
gamer22
Doominator99
Gibbon_Master
Stoney
joe11
Arbiteris
Bullyblazer
DaveSGE
Madtoker
7th
GeneralMLD
nalin41
Alan1994
igame
Zombl337
Stigma
gamer4life
DemonWolf
Invincible
ghost23
343_Guilty_Spark
Master_Chief
Pickles
31 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Pickles
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Pickles

Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument? Empty
PostSubject: Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument?   Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument? EmptyMon May 10, 2010 1:38 am

Ps3 has sold 34 million and 360 has sold 39. There's, like, a 5 million gap. That's scary. Can the 360 hold the lead? I'm thinking it can if it has Natal. Tell me what you think.
Also, there's been a ps3 fanboy argument surfacing. It goes like this: Halo 3 is inferior to COD4 because COD4 has won more GOTY awards. GOTY awards is there metacritic. Is this reliable? To them: if another game gets more GOTY awards that means the critics thought that game was better.
Back to top Go down
Master_Chief
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Master_Chief

PostSubject: Re: Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument?   Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument? EmptyMon May 10, 2010 2:59 am

Actually MS stated in their last fiscal report that they had sold a little over 40million 360s.
https://xboxrepublic.forumotion.com/sales-stats-and-predictions-f7/ms-reports-402-million-360s-sold-t4158.htm
Back to top Go down
343_Guilty_Spark
Four Star General (Moderator)
343_Guilty_Spark

PostSubject: Re: Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument?   Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument? EmptyMon May 10, 2010 3:24 am

With Halo Reach, Natal and a redesigned Xbox 360 coming out this year we will see a huge boost in sales much larger than Sony got from the PS3 Slime. As for the past year, Sony is only outselling by mere thousands. In fact in the US, the biggest gaming market, most months sales are the same or favor the Xbox 360. Sony has no chance of selling nearly 6 million more consoles than Microsoft before the end of this generation.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bungie.net
ghost23

PostSubject: Re: Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument?   Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument? EmptyMon May 10, 2010 4:41 am

Definitely. Because a large amount of PS3's are used solely as Blu-Ray players compared to just about every XBOX 360 used as a gaming console.
This is evident by the sales of multiplatform games and also the PS3 exclusives which also fail to live up to the sales of the 360 exclusives.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument?   Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument? EmptyMon May 10, 2010 8:03 am

I think the gap could close. Anything is possible. But if the 360 has a price drop, and with Reach this year, and Gears next year I dont think it will.
Back to top Go down
Invincible
Fleet Master Chief Petty Officer
Fleet Master Chief Petty Officer
Invincible

PostSubject: Re: Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument?   Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument? EmptyMon May 10, 2010 8:39 am

Nothing is impossible, but it's unlikely. I think Sony's best chance to catch up is to do a good job marketing themselves as Wii HD. Bundle the PS3 with Move and do the one thing Nintendo hasn't been able to do: release good software to support it on a regular basis. Not just 4 good games a year.
Back to top Go down
Pickles
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Pickles

PostSubject: Re: Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument?   Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument? EmptyMon May 10, 2010 8:59 am

Okay what about the GOTY awards argument?
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument?   Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument? EmptyMon May 10, 2010 9:07 am

Ghost is completely right. I agree with him.
As for the GOTY argument, well it could be anything. Have we had any AAA exclusives come out after the GOTY was announced?
Either way, ratings have more sort of credibility than goty imo. I mean, a goty could mean that it was a game ..I dunno, like amazing at the time. Perhaps in something that doesn't matter that much, eg: graphics.
But then again, if a game that wins goty doesn't have a score as high as a game that didn't win goty, then it doesn't matter that it got goty because if the score's higher it could mean it's a better game overall, it just wasn't as groundbreaking as the goty at the time but now that it's all said and done, the game has a higher score because it has better replay value or whatever.
I mean, Uncharted 2 for an example is a good game but personally after about 40 minutes into my experience with Uncharted 2 it already began to lose it's spark to me. It's good, very good but it's all flash & little substance. It's colourful and looks crisp graphics-wise but the gameplay feels like Lara Croft but much more on rails. It got goty mainly because of it's movie-like presentation and nice visuals. And well, who doesn't like a good movie? Thing is, it's very scripted and personally i would much rather play a game like Gears which doesn't seem as groundbreaking today but it has much more freedom in terms of gameplay and it feels more like a game.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
gamer4life
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class
gamer4life

PostSubject: Re: Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument?   Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument? EmptyMon May 10, 2010 2:39 pm

i never use the sales argument cause i dont care about sales. perfect example tales of vesperia on 360 sold 174,948 and its one of the best jrpgs on this gen.
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Stigma

PostSubject: Re: Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument?   Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument? EmptyMon May 10, 2010 7:03 pm

COD4 only beat Halo 3 in GOTY because it was multiplat, and the only good game that PS3 fanboys could actually vote for that year. Halo 3 is a better game than COD4 anyway you look at it.

And besides VGA sucks anyways, getting GOTY is like from them is like an MTV type of thing. It's AIAS which is important. AIAS is like the Oscar Equivalent for a GOTY. And Bioshock won in 2007. Really the way AIAS works is whatever game got the highest average review score lol. And the way things are going AIAS will probably go to ME2 this year.

Sales argument? Never gave 2 shits about it.
Back to top Go down
Zombl337
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5

PostSubject: Re: Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument?   Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument? EmptyMon May 10, 2010 7:12 pm

By the time E3 comes, 360 will be at approx 42-44 Million Sold, NATAL will be shown and hyped, a 360 Slim will come out (if it really does come out, I am buying one), and of course we still have Alan Wake, FABLE III & Crackdown 2 plus 10+ NATAL games and new Xbox LIVE features (an evolution in the service since Xbox 1 Servers have been shut down).
Back to top Go down
igame
Senior Chief Petty Officer
Senior Chief Petty Officer
igame

PostSubject: Re: Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument?   Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument? EmptyMon May 10, 2010 7:54 pm

ghost23 wrote:
Definitely. Because a large amount of PS3's are used solely as Blu-Ray players compared to just about every XBOX 360 used as a gaming console.
This is evident by the sales of multiplatform games and also the PS3 exclusives which also fail to live up to the sales of the 360 exclusives.

You know Blu-Ray players are now cheaper than PS3s right?

Sales of multiplatform games? well look at the most recent games

Bioshock 2
PS3 - .58m
360 - 1.10m

Dante's Inferno
PS3 - .52m
360 - .44m

Alien vs Predator
PS3 - .53m
360 - .73m

Resonance of Fate
PS3 - .30m
360 - .11m

Battlefield Bad Company 2
PS3 - 1.37m
360 - 2.03m

Final Fantasy XIII
PS3 - 3.75m
360 - 1.16m

Just cause 2
PS3 - .39m
360 - .40m

Nier
PS3 - .11m
360 - .05m

SSF4
PS3 - .28m
360 - .19

For a 5 million gap between the consoles the sales gap is pretty small.
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Stigma

PostSubject: Re: Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument?   Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument? EmptyMon May 10, 2010 7:59 pm

@igame
Hack and slash and Fighters always sell better on PS3. That genre has been with them since the PS2. Japanese games as well, will sell better on PS3.

Look at Bioshock 2 and BFBC2, when you take it to a ratio or percentage that's a pretty huge fucking gap. Just Cause 2 is about the same however.
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Stigma

PostSubject: Re: Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument?   Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument? EmptyMon May 10, 2010 8:24 pm

Joe DeRita wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:

And besides VGA sucks anyways, getting GOTY is like from them is like an MTV type of thing. It's AIAS which is important. AIAS is like the Oscar Equivalent for a GOTY. And Bioshock won in 2007. Really the way AIAS works is whatever game got the highest average review score lol. And the way things are going AIAS will probably go to ME2 this year.

You obviously wouldn't be saying that if ODST would have won the VGA's GOTY.

But let's face it, sales mean absolutely nothing.
Look at the Wii. Are you telling me Wii Sports is the best game ever made?
It's all about who publishes the game, and almost anything published by Microsoft is going to be good.

What are you talking about? If Halo ODST had won GOTY then I'd actually believe MS had bribed them lol. What game were PS3 fanboys supposed to vote for anyways? Uncharted was their best exclusive, and it was an 8 hour long single player game lol. Really PS3 owners didn't have much choice and basically had to vote for COD4. And not to mention all the great games the 360 had in 2007. The votes for 360 owners were broken up into different games while votes from PS3 owners were focused on one game.
Back to top Go down
Alan1994
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Alan1994

PostSubject: Re: Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument?   Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument? EmptyMon May 10, 2010 11:24 pm

I never really cared about sales. That's where I thought MLD went wrong. He cares to much about sales. He should focus his arguements on the fact that Xbox has a better online service and more A,AA, and AAA reviewed games.
Back to top Go down
nalin41
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class

PostSubject: Re: Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument?   Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument? EmptyTue May 11, 2010 12:06 am

natal, halo, 360 slim...nuff said
Back to top Go down
GeneralMLD
Five Star General (Admin)
Five Star General (Admin)
GeneralMLD

PostSubject: Re: Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument?   Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument? EmptyTue May 11, 2010 12:30 am

until the gen is over we will have more sales
Back to top Go down
https://xboxrepublic.forumotion.com
Pickles
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Pickles

PostSubject: Re: Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument?   Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument? EmptyTue May 11, 2010 1:35 am

Joe DeRita wrote:
nalin41 wrote:
natal, halo, 360 slim burned down homes...nuff said
Fixed that for you.
Really, a "slim" Xbox is out of the question.

Goddamn...that avatar....
Back to top Go down
ghost23

PostSubject: Re: Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument?   Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument? EmptyTue May 11, 2010 3:32 am

Joe DeRita wrote:
nalin41 wrote:
Fixed that for you.

And why would you think that?

All signs point to a 360 redesign at E3.
Back to top Go down
343_Guilty_Spark
343_Guilty_Spark

PostSubject: Re: Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument?   Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument? EmptyTue May 11, 2010 3:52 am

Joe DeRita wrote:
ghost23 wrote:
Joe DeRita wrote:
nalin41 wrote:
Fixed that for you.

I know for certain that there is going to be a redesigned 360 with MS cleaning out their inventory of Arcade models with these bundles.
But a smaller model? As if overheating issues weren't bad enough just think about how bad they will be with a smaller box.

Except smaller chip technology and combining the chips makes it generate less heat by using less energy, take up less space on the motherboard, and makes cooling it easier and more efficient.

That's why it will be smaller, cooler, and better in every way. Unlike the PS3 Slime which dumped features left and right to get smaller.
Back to top Go down
343_Guilty_Spark
343_Guilty_Spark

PostSubject: Re: Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument?   Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument? EmptyTue May 11, 2010 4:01 am

Joe DeRita wrote:
But that's the thing.
How do you know that MS can do that and still have a working system?

I think the Original Xbox is a good example. The PS1 and PS2 both had Slim models, but the Xbox was the only one that didn't.
The PS3 Slim is pretty much the same as the phat model before it. I've got a phat 80 Gig and it has no BC whatsoever.

If they do find a way to make it smaller then good on them.
My Xbox is working just fine right now, and a makeover won't persuade me to buy a second one. Plus I've got mine custom painted so it's one of a kind anyways.

Nobody is telling you to buy it. But it's in MS's best interest to lower the cost of manufacturing Xbox 360s since they plan to keep it on the market for another 4 years or so. That means shrinking it. Plus a redesigned Xbox 360 along with Natal and Halo Reach will destroy Sony and give them a sales boost the PS3 will never be able to catch up to.
Back to top Go down
343_Guilty_Spark
343_Guilty_Spark

PostSubject: Re: Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument?   Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument? EmptyTue May 11, 2010 4:09 am

Joe DeRita wrote:
Natal isn't much of a "threat" to either side (Nintendo/Sony)
It's a gimmick just like the Wii.
And if 360's are really selling like everyone says they are then MS will do just fine in the coming years even if they don't remodel the system.

I'm just saying from a logical standpoint that a smaller 360 would be a bad move on MS's part.

It gave PS3 a sales boost and it will give Xbox 360 one too. As for Natal, it may be a gimick, but that's what Soccer Mom's love. They'll look at the Playstation Move and think it looks just like the Wii they already have. But they'll look at Natal and think the controllerless gaming looks fresh, new and fun. They'll buy it in droves just like they did the Wii.
Back to top Go down
7th
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class

PostSubject: Re: Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument?   Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument? EmptyTue May 11, 2010 1:35 pm

ghost23 wrote:

Clearly you didn't watch my last vid. PS3 hasn't been the cheapest BLu ray option in almost 2 years, and GOW3's sales are kicking the shit out of Mass Effect 2 in a third of the time. Also, that piece of shit FFXIII is outselling the fuck out of the 360 version, even if you remove the exclusives sales the PS3 version has in Japan. In fact, if GOW3 continues to sell the way its selling, it will likely surpass the sales of both GOW1 and GOW2, which were on the PS2 with a higher userbase.
Back to top Go down
Madtoker
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer
Madtoker

PostSubject: Re: Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument?   Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument? EmptyTue May 11, 2010 1:42 pm

demondragondude wrote:
Ghost is completely right. I agree with him.
As for the GOTY argument, well it could be anything. Have we had any AAA exclusives come out after the GOTY was announced?
Either way, ratings have more sort of credibility than goty imo. I mean, a goty could mean that it was a game ..I dunno, like amazing at the time. Perhaps in something that doesn't matter that much, eg: graphics.
But then again, if a game that wins goty doesn't have a score as high as a game that didn't win goty, then it doesn't matter that it got goty because if the score's higher it could mean it's a better game overall, it just wasn't as groundbreaking as the goty at the time but now that it's all said and done, the game has a higher score because it has better replay value or whatever.
I mean, Uncharted 2 for an example is a good game but personally after about 40 minutes into my experience with Uncharted 2 it already began to lose it's spark to me. It's good, very good but it's all flash & little substance. It's colourful and looks crisp graphics-wise but the gameplay feels like Lara Croft but much more on rails. It got goty mainly because of it's movie-like presentation and nice visuals. And well, who doesn't like a good movie? Thing is, it's very scripted and personally i would much rather play a game like Gears which doesn't seem as groundbreaking today but it has much more freedom in terms of gameplay and it feels more like a game.

no, sadly we havnt had any aaa exclusives this year i think, reach will be the first Razz
but i have fun with last years so.....
Back to top Go down
DaveSGE
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class
DaveSGE

PostSubject: Re: Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument?   Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument? EmptyTue May 11, 2010 2:16 pm

343_Guilty_Spark wrote:
Joe DeRita wrote:
ghost23 wrote:
Joe DeRita wrote:
nalin41 wrote:
Fixed that for you.

I know for certain that there is going to be a redesigned 360 with MS cleaning out their inventory of Arcade models with these bundles.
But a smaller model? As if overheating issues weren't bad enough just think about how bad they will be with a smaller box.

Except smaller chip technology and combining the chips makes it generate less heat by using less energy, take up less space on the motherboard, and makes cooling it easier and more efficient.

That's why it will be smaller, cooler, and better in every way. Unlike the PS3 Slime which dumped features left and right to get smaller.

Yeah, because Microsoft never drops the price and in turn removes features and accessories, right? Kind of like when the Xbox Arcade dropped to $199 and didn't come with a headset, network cable and HD AV Cables like it used to when it first released, right?

Microsoft is guilty of the same bullshit as Sony is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument?   Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do you think we'll be able to keep the sales argument?
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next